SM11 Miracle Twins!

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Is there any reason for Whimsicott's popularity (this year) in Japan? First the GX, now a playable card.

a0s1d2f30

Aspiring Trainer
It is going to be a staple in many decks.
Although it is a great seach engine, I still want some balls to get reprinted (or introduce new ways to search things out).

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Cool, so it's kind of like LOT Alolan Ninetales-GX to search out support like Rare Candy and whatever else you need, except the search is more versatile and it can't get shut off by Glaceon-GX or Power Plant. Seems kind of weird to compare this to the best support we've had for stage 2 decks, but it's an option nonetheless.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Is there any reason for Whimsicott's popularity (this year) in Japan? First the GX, now a playable card.
It's adorable and hasn't gotten much attention before this year, so PTCI is probably just capitalizing on a trend.

OnGaard

Aspiring Trainer
This is an amazing card. The only issue is getting it out when you need it. The UPR Shiinotic has the same issue as it's a stage 1 as well, but if you based a deck around continuous search with Devolution spray Z and Shiinotic that could potentially work. I think it'll basically be teched into any deck running Ditto (*) and that it could be a huge addition to the meta depending on what search is released in August.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Imagine this being around when Forests were legal. You could use Devolution Spray or Scoop Up shenanigans to keep putting this thing back out, it'd have been BUSTED.

As of now though, this thing is still pretty crazy. I do wish they picked a different Pokemon to have this ability since this will be whims's third card this gen but oh well.

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Cute ability but I don't see it being any better than Fairy Tales which has a decent attack and the ability to search for two items or Red's Challenge which is already pretty bad

Plus, a major issue is getting it out without Ultra Ball. Playing Shiinotic UPR just makes it a deck of its own rather than making it a tech

I see this as maybe a 1-of in some decks like Whimsicott or Stage 1 decks that already play Ditto (*) but not really anything else

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
You still need to find it post rotation.
Maybe with the fairy shiinotic from UPR?
That itself is a Stage 1. How u can setup Shiinotic in 1 urn possible?
  • Whimsicott - Good ability with a good Retreat free retreat is awesome. The reason why this is good than Ninetales is the fact that it only search any 1 card while Ninetales can search 2 (which is better) but items and gives up 2 prizes. 4-5 Geodudes

Ghostrickster

Aspiring Trainer
Cute ability but I don't see it being any better than Fairy Tales which has a decent attack and the ability to search for two items or Red's Challenge which is already pretty bad

Plus, a major issue is getting it out without Ultra Ball. Playing Shiinotic UPR just makes it a deck of its own rather than making it a tech

I see this as maybe a 1-of in some decks like Whimsicott or Stage 1 decks that already play Ditto (*) but not really anything else

I agree. I don't see why other people seem to think it's amazing. It's a slow single card search. Sure, Red's Challenge is a supporter, but as a Stage 1, this requires setup and a bench space. Whimsicott-GX may tech a copy to search out tech cards or specific Fairy Charms, and some kind of revived Fairy toolbox with Shiinotic might have room for a 2-2 line or something. However, I'm not sure there's even a decent deck there.

Pokenerd

Aspiring Trainer
Can't ignore that ability. Gotta say any Whimsicott GX deck must play this. Other than that any deck with ditto should play this. Blace can search Beast rings, Mally can search metal, the list goes on.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Cute card art, featuring my favorite Pokemon; and is also playable? This is a little treat coming off it's nice GX card iteration.

I'm happy. Whimsicott needs more love.