'Sky Legends' Officially Revealed!

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Eh, the regular art's better IMO.

I feel like the full art should've been somewhat fourth-wall breaking and have at least James' face squished against the art window. Would've fit the artstyle better.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
It's not surprising there, but it is sort of surprising here that TPCi/whoever's running the TCG isn't putting the level of effort into representation of Pokemon across block expansions as you are. It's really not difficult, the Excel spreadsheets you've thrown together are not too difficult to keep track of especially if you end up being the one actually making all the cards. It's so weird they don't do this!?!

I mean, I'm just one well-meaning idiot who asks themselves a question like "Has every video game move appeared in the TCG?" (I'm still researching this to update my Google doc, but I'm fairly certain of the answer: no) or "Have we had a Fighting-type Corsola card yet?" (also no!) and then commits fully to the hours and hours of busywork and fact checking required to answer said question.

There's probably a hundred different reasons they make the choices they do in the TCG, especially when there's so many different factors to consider. Monetary, artistic, playability, marketing, people with clipboards making mandates, whatever. They can do better, but I'm sure it's not easy.

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
Eh, the regular art's better IMO.

I feel like the full art should've been somewhat fourth-wall breaking and have at least James' face squished against the art window. Would've fit the artstyle better.
James' face isn't pressed up against the wall, but Jessie is using the card border to support herself

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
SM-era example: Super-Burst Impact is clearly supposed to be the Johto themed set in Japan. We have two Chikorita and two Hoppip cards in this main expansion. Why? Cut one each of those and we have Sunkern and Sunflora for the first time since HGSS. Random Gen 7 Pokemon (Pikipek, Mareanie), Ultra Beasts (Blacephalon GX, Poipole, Naganadel) and Alolan forms (Meowth and Persian) are tossed in too. Throw out the four Colorless spots given to the Pikipek line in favor of Sentret/Furret and Teddiursa/Ursaring. Rework a few other things and you free up spots for those cut Alolan Pokemon in the subsets or another main set down the line. But the people in charge of the TCG just don't really approach things these way and it's frustrating.
While I agree with you that it is a bit random for them to have 2 of each basic in every 3-staged line (in the main set anyways), I don't think it's very fair to complain that random Gen 7 Pokemon are in the sets. This is the Gen 7 TCG after all, and considering this was both Alolan Persian & Toucannon's 2nd appearance (only after the SM base set) (and Blacephalon's first appearance), I think it's fair to have them in the set, considering they're "only" taking up 12/95 cards.

I like what @crystal_pidgeot says about the sets theme. Take the Lost Thunder example, while the set includes Pokemon from Alola, they still are in theme (to me at least), with Toucannon flying over Mount Silver and Alolan Persian being in (possibly) Alph Ruins or something similar. That is also why I'm not really that excited for this set tbh. Yes, the art looks good, but I just think the Pokemon featured are just put together randomly. I'd rather have the main focus being on birds/Flying-types (could've had Tornadus Therian GX instead of Keldeo and maybe Archeops/Braviary instead of Naganadel), and then have a few Alola Pokemon (like Bounsweet, Fomantis etc.) on the side

Kalnhobbs

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I guess I better make a collection page in my binder for this, Red, and Brock. Anyone know if they plan in doing another Full Art Misty? It would be awesome to have the whole gang together.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
James' face isn't pressed up against the wall, but Jessie is using the card border to support herself

I wouldn't say Jessie's supporting herself on the card border. Looks more like she's about to slap James or something. And I know James isn't pressed up against the wall. What I'm saying is that the card art would have worked better if his face was being squashed on the "front" of the card.

That being said, the more I look at the art, the less I know what exactly I'm looking at. Their expressions are so indistinct.

MegaAbsol10

I wouldn't say Jessie's supporting herself on the card border. Looks more like she's about to slap James or something. And I know James isn't pressed up against the wall. What I'm saying is that the card art would have worked better if his face was being squashed on the "front" of the card.

That being said, the more I look at the art, the less I know what exactly I'm looking at. Their expressions are so indistinct.
I knew you that's what you meant about James, I apologise for wording it poorly. I do agree about Jessie though.

MegaAbsol10

Love the artstyle and the goofines - would love it if TPC hired this artist to do more FAs in the future.
Yeah, this artist is amazing. He also did Copycat FA from Celestial Storm. I'm not sure if he's done any more though.

Toni Kensa

Playing and Collecting
Hope bringing this card to us would be easy with no “copyright” or “distributed by” stuff.

ShinyZard

Aspiring Trainer
This full art is so sweet with the whole Team Rocket gang (Jessie, James, Meowth and Wobbuffet)! This card could potentially mill your opponent's hand to zero with two Exeggcute (Propagation) in hand in combination with playing Lt. Surge in Expanded. Expanded is getting to be so annoying...