'Sky Legends' Officially Revealed!

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
We have to make this Pidgey's dream of teaming up with Zapdos true.

88053_200w.jpg

It wants to be a Zapdos so bad!

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I’d pound out the Team Rocket “anthem” if I could remember it.
Jessie: prepare for trouble
James: and make it double
Jessie: to protect the world from devastation
James: to unite all peoples within our nation
Jessie: to denounce the evils of truth and love
James: to extend our reach to the stars above
Jessie: Jessie
James: James
Jessie: Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light
James: surrender now or prepare to fight
Meowth: Meowth, that's right.

That what you were looking for?

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Jessie: prepare for trouble
James: and make it double
Jessie: to protect the world from devastation
James: to unite all peoples within our nation
Jessie: to denounce the evils of truth and love
James: to extend our reach to the stars above
Jessie: Jessie
James: James
Jessie: Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light
James: surrender now or prepare to fight
Meowth: Meowth, that's right.

That what you were looking for?
Confirmed. Did you Google that or do you have it memorized?

Kyle J. Asplund

Some birb boi
Can they give Groudon & Kyogre a spotlight, for I know they aren't the same type, but their separate GX card? For if Rayquaza is getting head from all the players, surely a Category 5 Earthquake-Lizard & a Tsunami Fish can come through with their own gimmick.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Lusamine looks to be still on the A block...

I wonder whether the TR cards are headed in the "Expanded only" direction come September, or if the next gen of pokemon TCG will revive the Ultra Ball when Sword and Shield officially put aside the S&M TCG to change the TCG's subtitle again... Lusamine's block look could serve as a grim signal for Guzma, Gladion, among other cards printed from the S&M-Crimson Invasion era, a signal that might be undesirable...

Please, Pokemon, don't take out Ultra Ball, Guzma, among other cards from the A block that are yet to get reprinted from the standard rotation, unless you are planning an August replacement for general decks, and not just for a select few types of decks, such as psychic, dragon, and Grass(Mysterious Treasure for the first two, and Net Ball for the latter), because if you take them out and/or wait until the next gen's card game's launch to deal with such replacements(meaning at least a half-season with no legal Ultra Balls and a half-season-plus of no legal "Gusters"(or cards resembling the old Gust of Wind Trainer card) of ANY sort in Standard, and maybe a half-season of being forced to go with the Emolga-Pokemon Communication combo just to get any pokemon cards out)...

.. then the standard format game will become extremely luck-based at the start: Do you have the combo? do you have draw luck? Do you have Fan Club? If you have neither of those three, then good luck finding the aforementioned or any other legal way to avoid getting donked, because there are not as many of such as there were in 2018-19...

...and that will force me to switch to Expanded, and I'd rather do that w/ some NEW tools on the block, including, one, the Battle Maison idols Evelyn, Dana, Morgan, and Nita(Morgan's effect to trigger a double-Powerful Squall effect in which any type of energy--not just water type energy--is pull-able AND attachable, w/o the need for Blastoise TEU(Blastoise only looks at top 6 cards, and only takes and attaches water energy, while Morgan goes for top 12 cards and takes and attaches any energy type) only works if the other three idols are discarded from the hand, regardless of methods that trigger such, such as use, Ability, among other possible ways to get them from your hand to discard). Two, some of the new Dark-types coming in Unbroken Bonds. Third, the new Dragonite w/ a once-per-turn(and not just once-per-put down(Lele-GX)) ability to get out all the necessary Supporters. And last, but not least, Black Market! All of which will be legal when rotation time comes for the Tag Rare cards that are on the A block(bar Lusamine, due to its Full Art in Ultra Prism, which saves it from the September 2019 chopper)...

^ And as long as the tools are there to "substitute" the Dark-type decks that are subject of Expanded cards, maybe not as good as the originals, but then again, who knows until the time comes for playtesting to answer the question: good card or bad card?

Anyway, hoping this "Sky Legends" set has even more Expanded replacements other than the ones we'll get in Unbroken Bonds, and here's hoping the next Japan set renews the Ultra Ball, as next Japan set(the one coming after Sky Legends, likely in early June in Japanese for our August set in English) is the last chance for its Standard renewal before it has to take its time to come back, ala N in 2015 until N got reprinted in Fates Collide in 2016. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Lusamine looks to be still on the A block...

I wonder whether the TR cards are headed in the "Expanded only" direction come September, or if the next gen of pokemon TCG will revive the Ultra Ball when Sword and Shield officially put aside the S&M TCG to change the TCG's subtitle again... Lusamine's block look could serve as a grim signal for Guzma, Gladion, among other cards printed from the S&M-Crimson Invasion era, a signal that might be undesirable...

Please, Pokemon, don't take out Ultra Ball, Guzma, among other cards from the A block that are yet to get reprinted from the standard rotation, unless you are planning an August replacement for general decks, and not just for a select few types of decks, such as psychic, dragon, and Grass(Mysterious Treasure for the first two, and Net Ball for the latter), because if you take them out and/or wait until the next gen's card game's launch to deal with such replacements(meaning at least a half-season with no legal Ultra Balls and a half-season-plus of no legal "Gusters"(or cards resembling the old Gust of Wind Trainer card) of ANY sort in Standard, and maybe a half-season of being forced to go with the Emolga-Pokemon Communication combo just to get any pokemon cards out)...

.. then the standard format game will become extremely luck-based at the start: Do you have the combo? do you have draw luck? Do you have Fan Club? If you have neither of those three, then good luck finding the aforementioned or any other legal way to avoid getting donked, because there are not as many of such as there were in 2018-19...

...and that will force me to switch to Expanded, and I'd rather do that w/ some NEW tools on the block, including, one, the Battle Maison idols Evelyn, Dana, Morgan, and Nita(Morgan's effect to trigger a double-Powerful Squall effect in which any type of energy--not just water type energy--is pull-able AND attachable, w/o the need for Blastoise TEU(Blastoise only looks at top 6 cards, and only takes and attaches water energy, while Morgan goes for top 12 cards and takes and attaches any energy type) only works if the other three idols are discarded from the hand, regardless of methods that trigger such, such as use, Ability, among other possible ways to get them from your hand to discard). Two, some of the new Dark-types coming in Unbroken Bonds. Third, the new Dragonite w/ a once-per-turn(and not just once-per-put down(Lele-GX)) ability to get out all the necessary Supporters. And last, but not least, Black Market! All of which will be legal when rotation time comes for the Tag Rare cards that are on the A block(bar Lusamine, due to its Full Art in Ultra Prism, which saves it from the September 2019 chopper)...

^ And as long as the tools are there to "substitute" the Dark-type decks that are subject of Expanded cards, maybe not as good as the originals, but then again, who knows until the time comes for playtesting to answer the question: good card or bad card?

Anyway, hoping this "Sky Legends" set has even more Expanded replacements other than the ones we'll get in Unbroken Bonds, and here's hoping the next Japan set renews the Ultra Ball, as next Japan set(the one coming after Sky Legends, likely in early June in Japanese for our August set in English) is the last chance for its Standard renewal before it has to take its time to come back, ala N in 2015 until N got reprinted in Fates Collide in 2016. Looking forward to it!
I’VE BEEN TOLD that Cynthia and Ultra Ball are going to be reprinted, and when I asked the informant how he knew, he said “Pokémon said so.”
So don’t freak out yet.

sw_bionic

Aspiring Trainer
I need a steelix gx, or it could be golem and alolan golem tag team gx, 300 hp, retreat cost 6, which uses 5 energies to do 300 dmg and does 150 to itself <3

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
You think they will make a third full art of the same trainer?

All the trainer rare cards in this black are holofoil alternate art cards such as Lusamine. Holofoil alternate art cards are no full art cards. The description of this new set explicitly states that there will be Lusamine, Gladion, and Lillie alternate art cards. To me this implies that these three cards will be trainer rares and Lusamine seems to be in line with this prediction.

iGeek256

I only use Electric types. Help me
All the trainer rare cards in this black are holofoil alternate art cards such as Lusamine. Holofoil alternate art cards are no full art cards. The description of this new set explicitly states that there will be Lusamine, Gladion, and Lillie alternate art cards. To me this implies that these three cards will be trainer rares and Lusamine seems to be in line with this prediction.
Well yeah, but have you seen any other trainer cards that have got more than 2 different ultra rares.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Well yeah, but have you seen any other trainer cards that have got more than 2 different ultra rares.

Trainer rares is it's own category and in no means identical to ultra rares. In terms of it's distribution in Japanese sets trainer rares are equivalent to prism star cards. If you have a look at the picture of the new Lusamine card it says TR (=trainer rare) and the set description says that the set will also include Lillie and Gladion. Trainer rare (TR) cards on usual do not get new full art cards. Just check out the spoilers for the last two sets in Japan. On usual these trainer rare cards seem to be released as league challenge promos outside of Japan.

iGeek256

I only use Electric types. Help me
Thank you, I wasn’t really aware of how Japanese card rarity worked. By the way, do you know what the A, B, or C next to the set means.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Thank you, I wasn’t really aware of how Japanese card rarity worked. By the way, do you know what the A, B, or C next to the set means.
A/B/C is in reference to which block of sets said set is in. For instance, anything from SM1 to SM4+ (GX Battle Boost) are in the A Block. Everything from SM5 to SM9b are B block (considered the USUM sets I guess) are B block, and so on. It usually goes by year, and could very well have something to do with set legality eventually.