Discussion If you could bring back one retired mechanic, what would it be?

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
I liked Lvl X., but I guess that's what Breaks were for. I miss my Shaymin Lvl X, I did fairly well with a deck based around that.

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
Something about Breaks weren't as... robust?

I think it was the pure gold thing they were pushing. Seemed kinda gaudy to me.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Ace Specs, solely because I want a computer search reprint so I don't have to spend $40 on one I only want for my collection, and I'm not about to blow that much on a card that isn't even that spectacular looking.

Other than that, Ancient Traits and the Team Flare Hyper Gears were really cool, I miss those a lot.

iGeek256

I only use Electric types. Help me
Ace specs were nice, but without the steal typing maybe they could BRING DELTA SPECIES BACK

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
I'd say bring back Pokémon with DARK and LIGHT in their names. I loved that concept of Pokémon back in the day. They missed a proper good opportunity when it came to Team Flare, AND Team Skull.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
The art on Pokémon LEGEND was amazing, but sadly I wasn't around to play them and even then only one of them got serious play. I'd love to see something like that come back!

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Ace-SPECs and M Pokemon-EX are probably the only two that I feel "should" come back. I feel like Mega Pokemon-EX will happen again at some point, if only to finish them off. (They'd make for a pretty easy mini-set or promotional product, and all the current stuff designed with GX in mind mentions Pokemon-EX too, so it'd be fine mechanically to have them return.) Ace-SPECs are somewhat replaced by Prism Stars, but only being able to include one total, not one of each, is a pretty notable distinction. We're certainly not getting a Prism Star equivalent to Dowsing Machine or Computer Search any time soon. (Also likely not either of those cards back, either, but it's just an example of the power-level difference.)

I also want Restored Pokemon to return personally. I know most people prefer the evolve-from-a-Fossil method since it's more playable mechanically, but Restored Pokemon just make more sense. Evolving from your ancestor's corpse just isn't... Logical.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
I'd say bring back Pokémon with DARK and LIGHT in their names. I loved that concept of Pokémon back in the day. They missed a proper good opportunity when it came to Team Flare, AND Team Skull.
Yes, Dark Pokémon. At least they did it twice and also had the Team Aqua vs. Team Magma mini set. So I don't see the hopes as dead yet.
I also would like to have a block of gym leader's Pokémon. Not like the SP/FB Pokémon, but like in Gym Heroes/Challenge. They do something like with the Cynthia and Giovanni-related cards, but it could be a whole set or two.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
^I almost forgot about Owner's Pokémon. But, the evolved forms could benefit more if they evolved from any Basic or Stage 1 Pokémon. For example, let's take Giovanni's Persian. Rather than saying "Evolves from Giovanni's Meowth", it could say "Evolves from Meowth or Giovanni's Meowth" just like Blissey ex and Scizor ex did when they said "Evolves from Chansey or Chansey ex" and "Evolves from Scyther or Scyther ex" respectively.

ScrawnyMeowth1

The Maker of Pokemon Lists
The art on Pokémon LEGEND was amazing, but sadly I wasn't around to play them and even then only one of them got serious play. I'd love to see something like that come back!

I agree. LEGEND cards were some of the coolest-looking cards ever made, and I wish they would do something like that again. Unfortunately, I wasn't playing when LEGEND cards were begin produced, and nowadays they're really hard to find at decent prices.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I'd like to be able to attack again on the first turn. For that to work out, the designers need to design everything so that it can't attack for damage on a player's first turn. Yeah, both player's first turns. I don't think we really have that great a balance with the current rules and the current cardpool; I'd rather Player 2 got a different benefit.

I also want Restored Pokemon to return personally. I know most people prefer the evolve-from-a-Fossil method since it's more playable mechanically, but Restored Pokemon just make more sense. Evolving from your ancestor's corpse just isn't... Logical.

Logical would be just having "Fossil" or "Restored" be a little tag on the card (like we have for Ultra Beasts) and in no way affect the evolution process, barring specific supporting cards released for it. The way this stuff is handled for nearly every other non-standard form of evolution. ;) While I enjoyed both alternate mechanics at first, by now I realize a gimmick is a gimmick and not particularly good gimmicks at that. No offense to those who do enjoy it, however. You like what you like. :)

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Ace specs were nice, but without the steal typing maybe they could BRING DELTA SPECIES BACK
Oh man, I'd love Delta Species to be back! I didn't play back then, but I liked collecting, and I loved the design of the cards and the idea of Holon, I'd love that region to make a comeback to the TCG overall! What would be even cooler is a side-game based on Holon with a few TCG expansions to go with it, with the re-introduction of Delta Species.

iGeek256

I only use Electric types. Help me
2 retreats per turn because Zapdos/Jirachi isn't good enough (Zeraora-GX would be in those)

Pokenerd

Aspiring Trainer
I liked dual types. (From steam siege). It made for some cool combos. They could use twice the type exclusive support! Remember Volcanion ex? I could use Brooklet hill to search it, Aqua patch AND Volcanion to accelerate to it. The possibilities were endless. Ecxept they made less than a dozen dual types... And bringing that back now would make a ton of wierd Tag Teams.

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
Logical would be just having "Fossil" or "Restored" be a little tag on the card (like we have for Ultra Beasts) and in no way affect the evolution process, barring specific supporting cards released for it.

You mean finally making fossil pokémon actually good? Perish the thought! Just kidding because this would be amazing. The idea that I could have a fossil deck that isn't a chore to just make function at the lowest levels would be great. The "evolves from a fossil" mechanic is better than restored, in my opinion, but it is far from ideal.

As for mechanics I'd bring back, I'd like to see Ace Specs. I also enjoyed LEGEND cards. Delta species was awesome, but at the very least I'd like to see more dual type cards, given there are so many dual type pokémon. Just... don't make the cards look like the ones from Steam Siege. The split colors bugged me. It felt too... rushed and slapped together. The Delta and Rocket Returns style of blending the colors was way better.

ScrawnyMeowth1

The Maker of Pokemon Lists
I liked dual types. (From steam siege). It made for some cool combos. They could use twice the type exclusive support! Remember Volcanion ex? I could use Brooklet hill to search it, Aqua patch AND Volcanion to accelerate to it. The possibilities were endless. Ecxept they made less than a dozen dual types... And bringing that back now would make a ton of wierd Tag Teams.

Dual type cards were actually produced for a couple of years back in the EX series, like this Meowth (who also happens to be a delta species at the same time).
MeowthEXHolonPhantoms71.jpg