Discussion If you could bring back one retired mechanic, what would it be?

Light/Dark Pokémon - Dark Pokemon and support for it were within...I think 5 sets. Light Pokémon were only in Neo Destiny and they had almost no support except for a super sub-par Special energy you could only have 1 in the deck anyway. I’d like to see Light Pokémon come back with some proper support.

Realistically, they could bring Ace Specs back. Prism Stars opened the door and the way the sets are shaping up and Worlds rotation, Standard could use something like it to make things interesting.

Light/Dark Pokémon - Dark Pokemon and support for it were within...I think 5 sets. Light Pokémon were only in Neo Destiny and they had almost no support except for a super sub-par Special energy you could only have 1 in the deck anyway. I’d like to see Light Pokémon come back with some proper support.

Disregarding Promos, Reprint Sets, and Secret Rares, Dark Pokémon were in
  • Team Rocket
  • Neo Destiny
  • EX - Team Rocket Returns
Related to Dark Pokémon are Rocket's Pokémon. Again, excluding Promos, Reprint Sets, and Secret Rares they could be found in
  • Gym Heroes
  • Gym Challenge
  • EX - Team Rocket Returns
Using the same criteria, the only set which contained Light Pokémon was
  • Neo Destiny
Of course, Light Pokémon ended up being... well... lame. Dark Pokémon, at least originally, had lower HP but stronger attacks than their baseline counterparts, and represented Pokémon corrupted by Team Rocket. Light Pokémon had more HP, weaker attacks, and represented "more tame" Pokémon. Maybe they could do it right a second time.

Realistically, they could bring Ace Specs back. Prism Stars opened the door and the way the sets are shaping up and Worlds rotation, Standard could use something like it to make things interesting.

They did bring back Ace Specs... they just tweaked them to make Prism Star cards. Actual Ace Specs returning is realistic in the sense that "It is possible." It is not realistic in the sense of "It is plausible." That is because Ace Specs were proven to be - if not "broken" - trouble makers. Any deck where it was easy to search and/or recycle Ace Spec cards proved potent.

I mean, if you want them back, you want them back; I know a decent amount of players miss them. ;)

I think recycling mechanics is a good thing IF done properly. There is serious value in the nostalgia in using old mechanics, AND it essential to the continued long-term viability of the game.

Sets without gimmick cards. BW Base Set through Noble Victories (and to some extent HGSS Base Set - Call of Legends) were fun, fair and balanced. I really hope that with Gen 8 Pokemon decides to finally get rid of gimmicks for good.

Sets without gimmick cards. BW Base Set through Noble Victories (and to some extent HGSS Base Set - Call of Legends) were fun, fair and balanced. I really hope that with Gen 8 Pokemon decides to finally get rid of gimmicks for good.
Define what you mean by gimmicks?

Define what you mean by gimmicks?
I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) he means no EX/GX etc. EX's didn't come around until Next Destinies, so BW-NVI had no 'gimmick' or 'chase' cards. However, HGSS had primes and LEGEND cards so I don't no what you mean about that @HailHydreigon

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) he means no EX/GX etc. EX's didn't come around until Next Destinies, so BW-NVI had no 'gimmick' or 'chase' cards. However, HGSS had primes and LEGEND cards so I don't no what you mean about that @HailHydreigon

What I mean is that they didn't centralize gameplay as much. Primes for the most part had barely any more HP and did just a bit more damage, while LEGENDS were almost unplayable, that's why I said to SOME extent for those sets. There were still gimmicks, but they weren't required to win.

What I mean is that they didn't centralize gameplay as much. Primes for the most part had barely any more HP and did just a bit more damage, while LEGENDS were almost unplayable, that's why I said to SOME extent for those sets. There were still gimmicks, but they weren't required to win.
Ah I think I get what you mean and I agree to a certain extent. While I enjoy playing with GX's in standard, I think the power creep and domination of GX's and now TTGX's isn't as fun as playing with just regular cards would be. i'd love them to introduce an official format where you can only play regular cards, no GX's, Prisms, etc.

Ah I think I get what you mean and I agree to a certain extent. While I enjoy playing with GX's in standard, I think the power creep and domination of GX's and now TTGX's isn't as fun as playing with just regular cards would be. i'd love them to introduce an official format where you can only play regular cards, no GX's, Prisms, etc.
I've actually thought about a format where you cannot use the main attacker of any deck that has t8ed a regional. (In the current format). So we can still use GXes. Just not the good ones lol. Still imagine TEU standard without the big 5!

I don't think you're remembering this time accurately. Pokémon Prime were not a game mechanic in the truest sense, but were a card rarity (like Common, Uncommon, etc.). Pokémon Prime were a gimmick, however, because they were just better versions of Pokémon from the traditional (Common, Uncommon, Rare, or Holo Rare) rarities. They had more HP but were only worth a single Prize. It'd be like Buzzwole-GX being instead released as just another Buzzwole with "only" 150 HP and no-GX attack... in a cardpool where GX-attacks weren't a thing in the first place. @_@

They had better effects but nothing punished you for running them. They were a major part of the metagame during the short time they were legal; remember, Pokémon Prime and Pokémon LEGEND cards were only around for five sets (HeartGold SoulSilver through Call of Legends). There are 26 Pokémon Prime and the ones I still remember because of how competitive they were in the Standard Format of the time (as opposed to Unlimited or Legacy Format decks) are Blissey, Donphan, Magnezone, and Yanmega. Let me stress, I'm talking about the ones whose success I can explain with (at most) a cursory glance at the card. Most actually had at least a niche, somewhat competitive deck, one where they were maybe a situational card or were quickly outclassed by another release later in the period.

Each Pokémon LEGEND card was made of two pieces, so while there were 18 total Pokémon LEGEND cards released, only nine actual Pokémon LEGEND exist. At least one (Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND) saw some competitive success, added into already successful Emboar (BLW) based decks. One out of nine actually being competitive sounds like most of the cardpool, maybe a bit low for the spotlighted gimmick. ;)

If you want this back... all right, but it's basically Pokémon-GX without the GX-Rule or GX-attack... but the same GX-rarity (and monetary cost)!

Last edited:
Back