Groundbreaking Leak Reveals Unused Gen 1 Pokemon Designs, Including Gorochu!

A baby Meowth!?! Why didn't they add that into the final game? Now I'm sad.

Gee, I wonder why they decided not to have Red carry a whip. That would have been a great idea for a children's game.

Crocky's front sprite is legitimate nightmare fuel.

Think the recent reveals taken together have some wider significance? A reintroduction of these designs? A reboot?

Why did you report on this, which has "Please trust us these are real" as evidence, and not report on the Spaceworld demo, which had a lot more going for its legitimacy? If it's real then it's real and that's cool, but there is a reasonable doubt here, isn't there?

Boy, this is an absolute treasure trove of information. It really shines a light on the infancy of this series, how Capsule Monsters may have worked, and gives us an inside look at the process of coming up with the monsters in the game.

Also, really helps solidify these as truth, with a handful of Pokemon from the 1997 Spaceworld demo existing in this very early build of Red and Blue.

Refused to leak the front sprites? A hole

Haha, well I suppose they need to make sure their, what I'm sure was a very large, investment still has a purpose. They have access to something hardly anyone has access to. They're one of the few that has seen the beta in its full glory, and I can understand why they might feel if all the information is released, that the value dwindles. It's special, and I get why they want to keep it that way :) For now, I'll respect that decision. We're lucky to get this much honestly!

One of the more artsy people here should attempt to draw Gorochu in all it's glory based on this sprite. That might be interesting!

Think the recent reveals taken together have some wider significance? A reintroduction of these designs? A reboot?

Nah, it's just seeing a level of popularity that it hasn't in a long time, and people are more actively seeking out these assets out of curiosity. No larger significance, just coincidence. Ever since the beta was first revealed, people have been starving for more, so it's natural these would be uncovered at some point.

*screams with delight*

I really, truly hope we can get front sprites one day. Maybe if we crowdfund a bribe x)

Just epic after so long so many secrets can be hidden in your favorite games.. many may never be revealed!

Why did you report on this, which has "Please trust us these are real" as evidence, and not report on the Spaceworld demo, which had a lot more going for its legitimacy? If it's real then it's real and that's cool, but there is a reasonable doubt here, isn't there?

100% this. Spaceworld has a lot more going for its credibility – this demo very conveniently aligns with things Helix Chamber has been posting/speculating on over the last few months, doesn't step outside the boundaries of what tidbits GF has incidentally told us about... it's also an apparent smorgasbord of content from the early 90s right up to the final release content. (Why is Mew in here? It was a last-minute add-on.)

These guys haven't put out anything to suggest they didn't have a fast one pulled on them, by a mysterious, reticent collector, who then suddenly vanished on them.

They've also implemented a ridiculous method of rolling out and revealing this data – even if it's legit, they've unfortunately put it out there in such a way it doesn't even merit discussion. A more thorough disassembly of Spaceworld is better worth everyone's time (though, there really isn't much left to extract from that) and any discussion of this demo should always carry a huge asterisk beside it.

(Why is Mew in here? It was a last-minute add-on.)
That is a red flag, yeah. Maybe I have the story wrong, but I always thought Mew was a fully fleshed out Pokemon in the game's lore, and that the design of Mewtwo was directly based off of Mew. Then with 2 weeks left in development, after debug tools were removed, Mew was added in over the course of those 2 weeks.

It makes sense as to why they'd have Mew designed by then, which explains how it could be added in so quickly along with the easy dev choice of "Eh, just give it 100 in everything and let it learn every move". But judging by how it's the last index number in Gen 1, it was never intended to be in the game during development. Thus there would be no reason to make a sprite for it until those 2 weeks before the game went gold.

Red Then: Yeah! You better do what I say, little Pikcahu, or else...
Red Now: Alright Pikachu, if you wanna zap me until I get hospitalized that's fine too.

Back