Contest Text-Based Create-a-Card Faking Tournament (Final Results Are Up!)

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
OG08zkM.png

Welcome to the first ever Create-A-Card Faking Tournament! As a special for the second anniversary of the new Create-A-Card, we’re running this special three month event to find how much you’ve learned over this time.

This is the thread for text-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a completely original card in text form and post it in here! The thread for image-based fakes can be found here.

The first round’s theme is Water-type Pokémon! You may choose any Pokémon that is canonically a Water type Pokémon (i.e. no Ice types, unless they are part-Water) to be the subject of your entry. The card itself does not have to be [W]-type. As always, be creative!

The theme for the second round is Alternate Win Conditions! For this round, you need to create cards that play around win conditions other than taking six prize cards. Whether it's your opponent being unable to draw a card at the beginning of their turn, running out of Pokémon in play, or something even crazier like the Lost World stadium or the Unown from Lost Thunder, your card needs to utilize an atypical path to winning. As always, be creative!

The theme for the third round is Not Fully Evolved! For this round, you may choose any Pokémon which is still capable of evolving as the subject of your card. (This must actually be evolving, not Mega Evolution or any other form change which does not change the Pokédex number.) As always, be creative!

The theme for the final round is Alternate Eras! To become a champion, you need to be able to adapt and show your skill in a variety of formats. For this final round, you'll have to leave your comfort zone and fake outside of an era you've already faked in for this tournament. Since both of you have only faked in the Sun and Moon era, that means that you must cannot fake in that era (or the Black and White/XY eras, since their wording system is mostly the same as SuMo's). Aside from that, there's absolutely no restrictions on the Pokémon you choose or card you create. As always, be creative!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. If all the spots are occupied but not everybody has submitted their card, you may submit a card as an alternate, and if somebody does not submit their card, you will be able to replace them.
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.) Keep in mind that working with a partner means that you will be working together for the entirety of the tournament.
    --
  • We have a total of 16 spaces available for text-based entries. There are 8 spots available for image-based entries in the image-based thread, so if you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Format

• Every round, contestants will be randomly paired off against each other and both of their cards will be judged by the same person. No contestants may join after the first round is complete.
    --
  • The person who created the card with the higher score will get to advance to the next round, while the person who created the card with the lower score will be eliminated (note: the exact details of this format will depend on the number of signups; this assumes the maximum number of people entering the contest).
    --
  • The final contestant standing will be crowned the Text-Based Create-A-Card Faking Tournament Champion!

Judging

1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
    Total: 15 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this tournament. The entire text-based judging staff (@Lord o da rings, @NinjaPenguin, @VioletValkyrie, and @Vracken) will be working together to judge text-based fakes.

General Rules

• If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, contact myself or the month’s judges as to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline. Note that this contest is a commitment for multiple rounds over up to three months. If your card is not submitted by the deadline, you will be eliminated from the tournament.
    --
  • All entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your entry there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Schedule:

Round 1 Deadline: February 24th (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]
Round 1 Judging: March 3rd (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Round 2 Deadline: March 17th (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Round 2 Judging: March 24th (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Round 3 Deadline: April 7th (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Round 3 Judging: April 14th (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Round 4 Deadline: April 28th (Sun.) 12:00pm EST

Entrants

1. FourteenAlmonds - Winner!
  2. Vom - Eliminated Round 4
  3. Nyora - Eliminated Round 3
  4. Blakers - Eliminated Round 3
  5. Lord Goomy - Eliminated Round 2
  6. ShaQuL - Eliminated Round 2
  7. FlashRayquaza - Eliminated Round 2
  8. TheLastShaymin - Eliminated Round 2
  9. Kangaflora - Eliminated Round 1
  10. Luplayz - Eliminated Round 1

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/OG08zkM.png[/img]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo and @Jabberwock for the banner.

Last edited:

Nyora

A Cat
Can I sub Thundurus if it uses Role Play on Kecleon for Protean and then uses HP Water?
In though, looks fun. Too bad I suck with creative Water type mons lol.

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Long time reader of PokeBeach and the forums, made an account finally because I want to take part in this

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
Since we have a lot of judges, I am just gonna let people know, I like unique effects, but wording is a big thing for me. Make something unique, but make it simple, that will be the key to earning my favour. Good luck to everyone who enters, I am looking forward to this ^w^

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Ouh, definitely in!

Alternatively for advertising, you can use this instead (it's still the banner, but it links to the thread immediately):
Code:
[URL='https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/text-based-create-a-card-faking-tournament-round-1-water-type-pok%C3%A9mon.149378/'][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/OG08zkM.png[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Araquanid GX - Water - HP210
Stage 1 - Evolves from Dewpider
Ability: What a Tangled Web we Weave
Once during your turn, you may choose the outcome of any coin flip. If you do, this Pokémon takes 20 more damage during your opponent’s next turn. You can’t use more than one What a Tangled Web we Weave Ability in a turn.

[W][C] Spindle Legs 30x
Flip 6 coins. This attack does 30 damage for each heads. If all of them are tails, you can use as many What a Tangled Web we Weave Abilities during your turn as you like.

[W][C][C] Morning Dew GX
Draw 3 cards. During your next turn, whenever the effect of a Trainer card, attack, or Ability tells you to draw cards, you may draw an extra card for each card you drew using that effect. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

(When one of your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, you opponent takes 2 Prize cards.)

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: [R] -20
Retreat: [C][C]

Victini (GRI)

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
I got me a moist boi here

Poliwrath-GX [F] HP240
Stage 2 – Evolves from Poliwhirl

Ability: Swift Swim
If this Pokémon has any [W] Energy attached to it, it may attack twice a turn. (If the first attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new active Pokémon.)

[F] Spiral Throw 40
Your opponent switches their Active Pokémon with 1 of their Benched Pokémon.

[F][F] Amphibian-GX 110
Search your deck for up to 3 [W] Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance: N/A
Retreat: [C][C][C]

Bunnelby PRC
Kakuna TEU
Solgaleo-GX SUM
Pidgeot TEU

I wanted to do something with Swift Swim. That’s pretty much it. Although there was a Lotad with Swift Swim in the past, it was more to do with a lower retreat cost than with attacking twice. Poliwrath got picked because it was a dual type and I had some cool ideas for it. I don’t really have that much of a detailed thought process lol.

Circle Throw is in because I thought having no effect on an [F] for 40 attack was a missed opportunity. Confusion makes sense considering what has come before, but on a Poliwrath that’s really unimaginative.

Amphibian-GX is nothing but synergy to make the card useable. Otherwise this card finds it hard to function, since it needs two separate energy attachments to work well, and it’s a stage 2.

It was pretty fun making this! Thanks for the opportunity :)

Diancie 20
Choice Band 30
Kukui 20

20+30+20=70 +40: 110 Damage. KOs a Zoroark :)
Diancie 20
Choice Band 30
Regirock 10 (x2)
Kukui 20
Strong Energy 20

20+30+20+20+20=110 +40: 150 Damage TOTAL
Any extra Strong Energy attached add 40 damage… but all that isn’t for just one energy. At the point where you can get OHKOs it is for [F][F][W] and on a stage 2 without Beast Ring. It’s actually fairly reasonable.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
I got me a moist boi here

Poliwrath-GX [F] HP240
Stage 2 – Evolves from Poliwhirl

Ability: Swift Swim
If this Pokémon has any [W] Energy attached to it, it may attack twice a turn. (If the first attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new active Pokémon.)

[F] Spiral Throw 40
Your opponent switches their Active Pokémon with 1 of their Benched Pokémon.

[F][F] Amphibian-GX 110
Search your deck for up to 3 [W] Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance: N/A
Retreat: [C][C][C]

Bunnelby PRC
Kakuna TEU
Solgaleo-GX SUM
Pidgeot TEU

I wanted to do something with Swift Swim. That’s pretty much it. Although there was a Lotad with Swift Swim in the past, it was more to do with a lower retreat cost than with attacking twice. Poliwrath got picked because it was a dual type and I had some cool ideas for it. I don’t really have that much of a detailed thought process lol.

Circle Throw is in because I thought having no effect on an [F] for 40 attack was a missed opportunity. Confusion makes sense considering what has come before, but on a Poliwrath that’s really unimaginative.

Amphibian-GX is nothing but synergy to make the card useable. Otherwise this card finds it hard to function, since it needs two separate energy attachments to work well, and it’s a stage 2.

It was pretty fun making this! Thanks for the opportunity :)

Diancie 20
Choice Band 30
Kukui 20

20+30+20=70 +40: 110 Damage. KOs a Zoroark :)
Diancie 20
Choice Band 30
Regirock 10 (x2)
Kukui 20
Strong Energy 20

20+30+20+20+20=110 +40: 150 Damage TOTAL
Any extra Strong Energy attached add 40 damage… but all that isn’t for just one energy. At the point where you can get OHKOs it is for [F][F][W] and on a stage 2 without Beast Ring. It’s actually fairly reasonable.
Uh, it looks like the Italics didn't come through when I pasted it in here. Is that a issue?

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Here's my entry!

Kyogre ♢ – Water – HP160
Basic Pokémon

♢ (Prism Star) Rule - You can't have more than 1 ♢ card with the same name in your deck. If a ♢ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

Ability: Alpha Downpour
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may discard a basic [W] Energy card from your hand to heal 30 damage from all of your [W] Pokémon.

[W][W][W][C] Sheer Cold
If the Defending Pokémon has less remaining HP than this Pokémon, the Defending Pokémon is knocked out. If it has more remaining HP than this Pokémon, this attack does nothing. This attack isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C] [C] [C]

This Pokémon is said to have expanded the sea by bringing heavy rains. It has the power to control water.

At first, I wanted to create this card as either a regular Kyogre or Kyogre-GX; however, I knew I definitely wanted to have Sheer Cold as it’s attack. The reason for this is that the game I played the most as a kid was Pokemon Sapphire and I remember when my Kyogre reached level 65 and learned Sheer Cold, I was amazed by how powerful the attack was. I liked the name and the effect of the attack and while researching, I realised that the attack has never been used in the TCG. I wanted the effect of this attack to reflect the way the attack works in the games, but since level is no longer a thing on cards, I chose to use remaining HP.

This is where I decided that it needs to be a Prism Star card. Having Sheer Cold depend on HP on a GX card would make it overly powerful unless it was a one-time use GX attack (kind of similar to Alolan Ninetales-GX Sublimation-GX, but for any Pokemon rather than just Ultra Beasts). However, I wanted the attack to be usable more than once, since I also had an ability in mind to work alongside the attack. On the other hand, if the attack was on a regular Kyogre, it would be underpowered and it would be just another interesting card without real use in Standard, due to its HP being limited to 130 or so. After looking at all of the Prism Star Pokemon, I noticed that all “big” legendaries on them had 160 HP, therefore that’s what I went for.

The ability name was originally “Drizzle” reflecting it’s in-game ability. However, I found that name was already used as a free attack on Kyogre from Legends Awakened (attach 2 [W] energy from hand to 1 Pokemon). This was an interesting attack, but I didn’t want my ability to share the name. So, I went back and looked at Primal Kyogre’s ability; Primordial Sea would make an interesting ability too (disabling Fire attacks), but that would be too powerful in certain situations, but also not fitting for what I had in mind. In the end I decided on “Downpour”, but to reference the best game in the series so far, I named it “Alpha Downpour”.

Since the ability heals Kyogre Prism and any other Water Pokemon on your bench, it synergises well with Sheer Cold’s effect. Balancing the card overall was a tough task; at first the only conditions for the ability were having Kyogre Prism as Active (which linked with it needing to be the Active Pokemon in games for Drizzle to activate), but then I thought that is not enough to justify (potentially) healing 180 damage on the board. Therefore, the discard mechanic was introduced (which could actually further synergise with Aqua Patch).

At first the attack cost was [W][W][C][C], but after looking at other Prism Star Pokemon, I decided it would be too easy to power up if combined with DCE. After adjusting the cost, I added “This attack isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon.” In order to emphasise the power of Sheer Cold.

Finally, the retreat cost; after looking at previous Kyogre cards, it became obvious that it usually has a high retreat cost. I decided on 3 in the end because 4 was a bit excessive, but 3 was crippling enough if you wanted a last-ditch effort to fully heal Kyogre Prism and stop it from going in the Lost Zone. With the cost of 3, it meant that it would take 3 (if 3 [W] energy was used to retreat) or 2 [if 1 [W] and a DCE was used to retreat) extra energy to re-energise Kyogre Prism.

Both Grass and Lightning could have been used as a weakness, but after looking at other Water Pokemon cards and previous Kyogre cards, it appeared that Grass was more appropriate. No resistance was given, since no other Kyogre has had resistance before, and many pure Water Pokemon in Standard right now don’t have resistances either.

The Pokedex entry comes from FireRed and LeafGreen as I thought it would be most fitting for the version of Kyogre; not hiding in marine trenches or battling Groudon, but rather coming in with its Alpha Downpour, controlling the very water within other Pokemon’s bodies, chilling it to sub-zero temperatures, causing instant fainting.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry:
Surskit - 60HP -
latest

Basic
250px-283Surskit.png

NO. 283 Pond Skater Pokémon HT: 1'08" WT: 3.7 lbs.

TCGAbilityIcon.png
Dual Armor
If this Pokémon has any
latest
Energy attached to it, its type
is
latest
latest

latest
Quick Bubble - 10+
You may do 10 more damage. If you do, flip a coin. If tails,
this Pokémon does 10 damage to itself. If heads, your
opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness:
latest
x2
Resistance: ---
Retreat:
latest

PokéDex Info: When this Pokémon senses danger, a sweet
fluid oozes from the top of its head. The taste of it disgusts
bird Pokémon.