Contest Text-Based Create-a-Card Faking Tournament (Final Results Are Up!)

[Stage 2] Samurott-GX [W] HP240
Evolves from Dewott

[W] Warm-up Dive 30
Attach up to 2 [W] Energy cards from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

[W][W][W] Samurai's Gambit 130
You may discard all [W] Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, during your next turn, each of your [W] Pokémon's attacks does 130 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W][W][W] Last Breath GX 170
Before doing damage, you may switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon. If you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, and if your opponent's Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take 1 more Prize card. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [G] x 2
Resistance: -
Retreat: [C][C][C]
GX Rule: When your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Aqua Patch
Landorus-EX BCR
Haxorus BKT
Krookodile SM85
Counter Energy
I literally looked at a list of water Pokémon to decide what I was going to do, and after a while I settled on this guy because...samurais are cool lol. I actually had quite a bit of trouble deciding on what attacks and effects to settle on, or if it should have an Ability or not. First iteration's Ability - Samurai's Wrath - allowed you to take 1 extra Prize card if your opponent KO'd something during their last turn, but combined with the attacks it had it was too much for one card, both in terms of space and being overloaded. You can see where the current second attack's name comes from, at least. In the beginning, the attack was gonna have immediately available bonus damage (though not nearly as much), but combined with the Ability and its effect at that point in time (do extra dmg and dmg to itself) it was way too easy to just stream OHKO's and take extra Prizes, which made just playing against a theoretical Samurott/Quagsire deck a huge pain - not only could it OHKO at will, said OHKO also contributed to Samurott getting KO'd giving you an extra Prize the turn after. The card had synergy, but too much of it. It's worth mentioning that version did not have built-in Energy acceleration at least.

Anyways, Energy acceleration to set up in the first place and actually have an attack to do damage after you discard all your Energy. The point isn't so much to set up an army of Samurott as it is to power the Active one quicker, but since it attaches only to one Pokémon the option is there too if you have a switching card. Two Energy instead of one because it'd be too slow or clunky otherwise, forcing you to run Naganadel as well as Quagsire and possibly Alolan Ninetails if you decide to include it; or straight up leaving you dry (ha) more often than not if you don't run it anyways.

Samurai's Gambit, Samurai's Wrath child. Initially it was an all-in-one attack, but that was way too complicated and awkward to word. Anyways, I actually really liked Landorus-EX's second attack's form of bonus damage from way back in the day, but tailored to the samurai theme. A gambit seemed to fit the attack perfectly, since you could lose all your Energy and whiff an attack the next turn, which would honestly suck; but you can also keep it and play it safe - it all depends on how much risk you wanna take and how bad you want/need that big juicy one shot next turn. It also leaves the opponent with a choice - let Energy-less Samurott live in the Active and expose themselves to a smaller 160 attack, or take the Prizes and hope you can't get Last Breath GX off next turn.

Speaking of Last Breath GX: not gonna lie, I made this attack and the math behind it to take down Tag Teams lol. It's still useful against regular GXs tho, and it keeps a Tag Team deck on its toes at the same time - benching an unnecessary TT could mean 4 Prizes.

Last edited:
Uh, it looks like the Italics didn't come through when I pasted it in here. Is that a issue?
In the past, points have been deducted for lack of italics when there should have been italics. It's up to you to decide whether or not you think this is worth the -2 Points from the edit penalty.

I derped and thought Samurott evolved from Oshawott. It's not technically wrong, but...rip 2 points.

[W] Pelipper-GX HP210
Stage 1- Evolves from Wingull

Ability: Stockpile
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a [W] Energy from your hand to one of your Pelipper or Pelipper-GX. You can't use more than 3 Stockpile Abilities each turn.

[W] Spit Up 40x
Put all [W] Energy attached to this Pokémon in the Lost Zone. This attack does 40 damage for each card put in the lost zone in this way. You may only do up to 120 damage in this way (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W] Swallow GX
Put all [W] Energy attached to this Pokémon in the Lost Zone. If you put 1 card into the Lost Zone in this way, heal all damage from this Pokémon. If you put 2 cards into the Lost Zone in this way, heal all damage from this Pokémon and 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If you put 3 or more cards into the Lost Zone in this way, heal all damage from all your Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack per game)

Weakness: [E]x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]
GX Rule: When your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Last edited:
So one day a few years ago I was playing alpha sapphire and exploring the world with "too much water" and i kept running into the pelippers. So as a joke i... i really dont know but i saw the amazing STOCKPILE in action.

so i was wondering why this was not used on a pokemon

SO I MADE IT

ha take that pokemon company

Water Horse & Muddy Man-GX! Not my CaC though lol.
Keldeo & Swampert-GX HP 270 Water
Basic Pokémon

[W][W][W][W] Quaking Cutlass 140
This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon times the amount of Energy attached to those Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon).

[W][W][W]+ Tenacious Torrent GX 150
Before doing damage, you may attach as many basic [W] Energy cards from your hand to your Pokémon in any way you like. If this Pokémon has at least 4 extra [W] Energy attached to it (in addition to this attack’s cost), if your opponent’s Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, put that Pokémon into your opponent’s Prize cards instead of discarding it. (Discard all previous Evolutions, and all cards attached to that Pokémon.) (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your TAG TEAM Pokémon is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

Weakness: Grass x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 3
This is my CaC, a Tentacruel.
Tentacruel HP 120 Water
Stage 1 - Evolves from Tentacool
NO. 73 Jellyfish Pokémon HT:

[W][W] Red Signal
Search your deck for up to 3 Tentacruel and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck. If you have 4 Tentacruel in play, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to your Tentacruel during your opponent’s next turn. If 1 of your Pokemon used Red Signal during your last turn, this attack can’t be used.

[W][W] Tentacrisis
Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon. This attack does 10 damage to the new Active Pokémon. This Pokémon may use this attack 1 more time in a turn as you have Tentacruel on your Bench. (If the previous attack Knocks Out your opponent's Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.)

Although these Pokémon are rare, when a large outbreak of them occurs, all fish Pokémon disappear from the surrounding sea.

Weakness: Lightning x2
These aren’t useful because I’m going to get docked 20 points for some wording thing I didn’t notice despite reading this over 40 times anyways :U
Cacturne (CRI 6/111) (Tentacrisis’ effect of switching then dealing damage.)
Kakuna (CRI 2/111) (Red Signal’s effect of setting down multiple Tentacruel.)
Mewtwo (EVO 51/108) (Red Signal’s effect of not using the attack twice in a row.)
Bunnelby (PRC 121/160) (Tentacrisis’ attacking multiple times, modified for attacking more than twice, and modified for being fit into an attack rather than Ancient Trait.)
Toxapex-GX (GUR 57/145) (Red Signal’s protection effect.)

Cakunatwonelbex-GX, a nice mix of all my reference’s names :U

Stage 1)- Vaporeon HP 100 (W)
Evolves from Eevee.

Spr_5b_134.png

NO.134 Bubble Jet Pokémon HT: 3’03 WT: 63.9 lbs.

Ability: Evolution Cure
Whenever you play a card from your hand to evolve one of your Pokemon, heal 40 damage and all special conditions from that Pokémon before evolving.

(W)(C)(C) Razor Tides 50x
This attack does 50 damage time the amount of your (W) Evolution Pokémon in play.

Weakness: (G) x2 Resistance: Retreat Cost: (C)
Its cell structure is similar to water molecules.
It melts into the water and becomes invisible

Here is my entry (late, but still in time): Carracosta!
Carracosta – Type: Water – KP: 160
Stage 2 – Evolves from Tirtouga

NO. 565 Prototurtle Pokémon HT: 3‘11“ WT: 178,6 lbs.

Ability: Power Food
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard an Omanyte or Omastar from your hand. If you do, this Pokémon does 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon and takes 30 less damage from the attacks of your opponent’s Pokémon until the end of your opponent’s next turn (before applying weakness and resistance). You can’t use more than 1 Power Food Ability each turn.

[W][W][C] Heavy Smash 130
Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you discarded [W] Energy, discard a basic Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokémon. If you discarded [F] Energy, this attack does 50 more damage (before applying weakness and resistance).

Weakness: [G] x2 Resistance: - Retreat: [C][C][C][C]

Its jaws are terrifyingly powerful. It could eat Omastar and Omanyte whole and not be bothered in the slightest by their shells.

Manaphy ◇ – Water– HP120
Basic Pokémon
◇ (Prism Star) Rule: You can’t have more than 1 ◇ card with the same name in your deck. If a ◇ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

Ability: Marvelous Bond
When this Pokémon becomes your Active Pokémon (before your attack), you may use this Ability. During your opponent’s next turn, this Pokémon can not take damage from attacks.

[W] Tail Glow: During your next turn, this Pokémon’s Deep Sea Pulse attack’s base damage is 140.

[W][C] Deep Sea Pulse: 50 damage. You may return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it to your hand.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1
It is born with a wondrous power that lets it bond with any kind of Pokémon.

And that would be time (or 5 hours after it)! The judging will be finished for this round in a week!
Since we have ten people, here's how the tournament will work:
In the first round, everybody will be divided into two groups of five. The lowest scoring entries in those groups will be eliminated, leaving 8 contestants.
After this round, the tournament will proceed as single elimination matches between pairs of the remaining contestants, with the lowest scoring contestant being eliminated.

For the first round, here are the groups:
Group 1-
Lord Goomy
Luplayz
Nyora
ShaQuL
The Last Shaymin

Group 2-
FlashRayquaza
FourteenAlmonds
Vom
Kangaflora
Blakers

For your convenience, here's a bracket of how this will work.
Good luck! :D

From the table, I can work out that the four with the highest points in each group will advance immediately to the Quarter Final Stage of the competition, with one being eliminated. Good luck to you all, and I hope you all win.

Group 1 Results

Judge: @NinjaPenguin
Judge's Note: This was all around a really nice batch of cards! They were pretty consistently fun, well balanced, synergistic, and unique, which made for a really tough judging since everybody did quite well! At times, the wording of these cards I noticed could be lacking. Be sure to reference your cards more, and avoid some of the Common Wording Errors that popped up this time around. Good luck to those who advanced in the future rounds!

@Lord Goomy
Araquanid GX - Water - HP210
Stage 1 - Evolves from Dewpider
Ability: What a Tangled Web we Weave
Once during your turn, you may choose the outcome of any coin flip. If you do, this Pokémon takes 20 more damage during your opponent’s next turn. You can’t use more than one What a Tangled Web we Weave Ability in a turn.

[W][C] Spindle Legs 30x
Flip 6 coins. This attack does 30 damage for each heads. If all of them are tails, you can use as many What a Tangled Web we Weave Abilities during your turn as you like.

[W][C][C] Morning Dew GX
Draw 3 cards. During your next turn, whenever the effect of a Trainer card, attack, or Ability tells you to draw cards, you may draw an extra card for each card you drew using that effect. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

(When one of your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, you opponent takes 2 Prize cards.)

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: [R] -20
Creativity: 19/20
These are some really nice ideas you’re playing around with here, Goomy! I really enjoy how What a Tangled Web We Weave plays along with the flips in Spindle Legs, and allows you to even choose Tails so you can use it to maximum effect next turn (especially with cards like Crushing Hammer). Morning Dew GX also has a creative effect that allows for a lot of synergy and intriguing combinations. Nice job!

Wording: 5/15
What a Tangled Web We Weave:
-Need to specify it takes 20 more damage “from attacks” [-1 Point]
-Replace “one” with “1” [-1 Point]

Spindle Legs:
-Replace “can” with “may” [-1 Point]
-Specify this effect takes place during your “next” turn [-1 Point]

Morning Dew GX:
-Reorder “a Trainer card, attack, or Ability” to “an attack, Ability, or Trainer card” (Reference: Primarina Lost Thunder) [-1 Point]
-Delete “tells you to draw cards” and replace it with “you draw a card from” before “the effect”. [-1 Point]
-“For each card you drew using that effect” is unnecessary. [-1 Point]

Other:
-Replace “you” with “your” in the GX Rule. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize We in What a Tangled Web We Weave (and the effects for What a Tangled Web We Weave and Spindle Legs). [-2 Points]

Believability: 13/15
Araquanid generally has Grass instead of Lightning Weakness. There also hasn’t been a single card with Fire Resistance in the SuMo era. Morning Dew GX is really powerful, since with cards with cards like Zoroark and Cynthia you can suddenly be drawing 10 extra cards in a turn, but it has a pretty high cost on a Stage 1 GX, so it should be about power level since it would require a lot of dedication in a deck to pull off the attack and reap the awards.

Final Score: 37/50
This was a really fun and well balanced card, Goomy! Just try to use references for your wording more next time, as that really tripped you up here.

@Luplayz
Stage 1)- Vaporeon HP 100 (W)
Evolves from Eevee.

Spr_5b_134.png

NO.134 Bubble Jet Pokémon HT: 3’03 WT: 63.9 lbs.

Ability: Evolution Cure
Whenever you play a card from your hand to evolve one of your Pokemon, heal 40 damage and all special conditions from that Pokémon before evolving.

(W)(C)(C) Razor Tides 50x
This attack does 50 damage time the amount of your (W) Evolution Pokémon in play.

Weakness: (G) x2 Resistance: Retreat Cost: (C)
Its cell structure is similar to water molecules.
It melts into the water and becomes invisible
Creativity: 11/20
There are some interesting ideas you’ve worked with here, but all of the effects have simply been seen before in almost exactly the same way at some point in time on some other card. The effects are nice, but using them specifically really isn’t very creative.

Wording: 9/15
Evolution Cure:
-In SuMo, you should add “during your turn” after “one of your Pokémon” [-1 Point]
-Accent the e in Pokémon [-1 Point]
-Put “remove” before “all Special Conditions” [-1 Point]
-Capitalize “Special Conditions” [-1 Point]

Razor Tides:
-For an effect like this which counts Pokémon, you would use “for each of your” instead of “times the amount of your” [-1 Point]

Believability: 11/15
Evolution naturally cures Pokémon on Special Conditions, and I really don’t see a card being printed to specifically counter Sea of Nothingness. The fact that it automatically counts itself (so it can get to as much as 150 damage with only two other Water evolutions on the Bench), combined with the Water support like Dive Ball that exists, also makes it a bit over the power level.

Final Score: 31/50
There’s a fair amount of issues with this card unfortunately. Try in the future to take more time developing your ideas and making a more polished, unique card.

@Nyora
Tentacruel HP 120 Water
Stage 1 - Evolves from Tentacool
NO. 73 Jellyfish Pokémon HT:

[W][W] Red Signal
Search your deck for up to 3 Tentacruel and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck. If you have 4 Tentacruel in play, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to your Tentacruel during your opponent’s next turn. If 1 of your Pokemon used Red Signal during your last turn, this attack can’t be used.

[W][W] Tentacrisis
Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon. This attack does 10 damage to the new Active Pokémon. This Pokémon may use this attack 1 more time in a turn as you have Tentacruel on your Bench. (If the previous attack Knocks Out your opponent's Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.)

Although these Pokémon are rare, when a large outbreak of them occurs, all fish Pokémon disappear from the surrounding sea.

Weakness: Lightning x2
Creativity: 16/20
These are some cool effects here, Nyora! Red Signal has been seen before, but combines past ideas in a way that works really well with Tentacrisis. Tentacrisis is also a fun design space, which allows for both powerful synergy and snipe damage. Both effects are pretty similar to previous ones, however, which moves your score here down a bit.

Wording: 14/15
Tentacrisis:
-Replace “as you have Tentacruel” with “for each Tentacruel you have” [-1 Point]

Believability: 13/15
The balance here is really nice. The card can accelerate and have some use in sniping, but the damage output is nothing gamebreaking. There’s one tiny strangeness here, in that if you remember, the Plasma Genesect EX had an ability named Red Signal, which means that could count towards not be able to use the attack in the Expanded Format. -1 Point for missing height and weight.

Final Score: 43/50
Luckily for me, this card isn’t cruel at all, and instead every section of the card was put together very nicely! Keep up the good work!

@ShaQuL
Kyogre ♢ – Water – HP160
Basic Pokémon

♢ (Prism Star) Rule - You can't have more than 1 ♢ card with the same name in your deck. If a ♢ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

Ability: Alpha Downpour
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may discard a basic [W] Energy card from your hand to heal 30 damage from all of your [W] Pokémon.

[W][W][W][C] Sheer Cold
If the Defending Pokémon has less remaining HP than this Pokémon, the Defending Pokémon is knocked out. If it has more remaining HP than this Pokémon, this attack does nothing. This attack isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C] [C] [C]

This Pokémon is said to have expanded the sea by bringing heavy rains. It has the power to control water.
Creativity: 14/20
There’s a lot of cool design space you’re working with here! Alpha Downpour and Sheer Cold have a very interesting synergy together, and Sheer Cold does a really good job of incorporating how it works in the games into a card format! Unfortunately, both of the effects here are quite similar to ones that have been seen in the TCG before, which drags down your score here a bit.

Wording: 8/15
Alpha Downpour:
-Delete “basic”, as all special energy cards only can serve as [W] energy when attached to a Pokémon [-1 Point]
-Add a period after “from your hand” and replace “to” with “If you do,”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “all” with “each”, since the effect applies only to [W] Pokémon. [-1 Point]

Sheer Cold:
-Replace the first “the Defending” with “your opponent’s Active” [-1 Point]
-Replace the second “the Defending” with “that” [-1 Point]
-Capitalize “Knocked Out” [-1 Point]
-“This attack does nothing” clauses are only utilized if the attack would normally deal damage; since this one does not, the second sentence is unnecessary. [-2 Points]

Believability: 14/15
Considering that this is a Prism Star and there’s a high cost to power this card up, it’s pretty spot-on in terms of balancing an automatic KO effect (since it still requires some investment to get GXs to a lower HP than Kyogre). I understand your explanation for the 3 Retreat Cost, but the Retreat Cost is still probably too low, since the entirety of the BW/XY/SuMo eras have had 4 Retreat Cost Kyogre.

Final Score: 36/50
There was a lot of really good thought and effort put into the card here! In the future, just try a bit more to utilize truly new effects, and check your wording just a bit more for those tiny mistakes which are hurting you here.

@The Last Shaymin
[W] Pelipper-GX HP210
Stage 1- Evolves from Wingull

Ability: Stockpile
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a [W] Energy from your hand to one of your Pelipper or Pelipper-GX. You can't use more than 3 Stockpile Abilities each turn.

[W] Spit Up 40x
Put all [W] Energy attached to this Pokémon in the Lost Zone. This attack does 40 damage for each card put in the lost zone in this way. You may only do up to 120 damage in this way (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W] Swallow GX
Put all [W] Energy attached to this Pokémon in the Lost Zone. If you put 1 card into the Lost Zone in this way, heal all damage from this Pokémon. If you put 2 cards into the Lost Zone in this way, heal all damage from this Pokémon and 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If you put 3 or more cards into the Lost Zone in this way, heal all damage from all your Pokémon. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack per game)

Weakness: [E]x2
Resistance:
Creativity: 15/20
There synergy is really well done here, TLS! The card mimics how Stockpile works effectively, while translating it into interesting effects for the TCG. Though none of the effects are truly new, you’re able to combine them together into a synergistic and complex card. Good work!

Wording: 7/15
Stockpile:

Spit Up:
-Capitalize Lost Zone [-1 Point]
-Replace “you may only do up to” with “you can’t do more than” [-1 Point]
-The damage cap would automatically apply before Weakness and Resistance, so you don’t need that clause. [-1 Point]

Swallow GX:
-Replace into with in. x3 [-2 Points]
-Replace “per” with “in a” [-1 Point]
-Add a period after “game” [-1 Point]

Believability: 14/15
The consequence of putting cards in the Lost Zone serves to effectively cap the damage to a certain degree where it can be used powerfully a couple of times with the nice acceleration, but can’t be spammed, which is really nice. The type that Pelipper is weak to is called Lighting, instead of Electric as it is called in the games.

Edited: -2 Points

Final Score: 34/50
This may be one of my favorite cards I’ve ever seen from you TLS! You need to reference more in your wording, but your thought process and design of this card was really good!

Which means that the contestants advancing are:
Nyora, whose Terrific Tentacruel scored 43/50 points, the top score of the group!
Lord Goomy, whose Agile Araquanid GX scored 37/50 points, the second highest score of the group!
ShaQuL, whose Killer Kyogre ♢ scored 36/50 points, the third highest score of the group!
And The Last Shaymin, whose Perky Pelipper GX scored 34/50 points, the fourth highest score of the group!

Sorry, Luplayz, but that means that you have been eliminated.

Congratulations to those who advanced!

Last edited:
Back