'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

maximusrtc

Aspiring Trainer
Maganium- Free rare candy is nice, but wait, it doesn’t say anything about not evolving the turn the basic was put down. So basically it’s sort of like Forest of Giant Plants but you don’t need the stage 1!? Or the old way rare candy worked? And it works on any type of Pokémon. This could be nuts with Acerola, super scoop up, etc.

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
Meganium is neat? I'm not sure how to react to it like on one hand it's ability is kinda busted, but on the other hand it's a stage 2 itself. Maybe it could work in like Decidueye or something?

Wechselbalg

brb
These new ideas are really laughable - so you run a crappy stage 2 to evolve your other stage 2 line "more quickly" - dude just play Rare Candy. Like wtf is wrong with TPCi lately.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Heracross sure is a nice addition to Sceptile decks that also run Lurantis. Meganium has awesome art and a good ability. However since he is a stage 2 Pokémon himself he could be clunky to use.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Ok, hold on, let’s extrapolate here:
Evolving a Pokémon (unless it says you can skip this clause) can only be done on the second or later turns a Pokémon was in play to that player. That’s the rule. Paraphrased, of course. We can’t be loose constructionists before we know anything.
Eevee’s Ability (you know which one) says that you put this card on this Pokémon to evolve it. That’s using an ability.
Second ability? Says Evolve?
Yep, it would probably work on the first turn.
All thanks to the scientific method!
WEEEEEEEEEEE-

And it’s not clunky at all. If you play a Stage 2 deck, you play Rare Candy. Just Rare Candy into a Meganium. Then Early Ripening Herb into everything else.
Bam. It’s good.

Oh, Heracross?
DISLIKE

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
Still way too clunky to ever be viable, but just imagining getting meganium set up, then boom: sceptile + jungle totem venusaur + super boost energy.....would be a ton of fun.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
These new ideas are really laughable - so you run a crappy stage 2 to evolve your other stage 2 line "more quickly" - dude just play Rare Candy. Like wtf is wrong with TPCi lately.

Heracross sure is a nice addition to Sceptile decks that also run Lurantis. Meganium has awesome art and a good ability. However since he is a stage 2 Pokémon himself he could be clunky to use.
^See My Above^

Advancer

The old tree that still blooms.
The art on the Meganium is definitely better than the BreakPoint art, and the ability at least offers assistance in getting other Stage 2's set up. Too soon to say if it'd be worth the trouble of having two stage 2 lines in the one deck. I daresay its success is going to depend on the Chikorita and Bayleef that go with it (I hope at least they've got good art though).

The Heracross is nice, I guess.

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, hold on, let’s extrapolate here:
Evolving a Pokémon (unless it says you can skip this clause) can only be done on the second or later turns a Pokémon was in play to that player. That’s the rule. Paraphrased, of course. We can’t be loose constructionists before we know anything.
Eevee’s Ability (you know which one) says that you put this card on this Pokémon to evolve it. That’s using an ability.
Second ability? Says Evolve?
Yep, it would probably work on the first turn.
All thanks to the scientific method!
WEEEEEEEEEEE-

And it’s not clunky at all. If you play a Stage 2 deck, you play Rare Candy. Just Rare Candy into a Meganium. Then Early Ripening Herb into everything else.
Bam. It’s good.

Oh, Heracross?
DISLIKE

How exactly would you use the ability on the first turn? Youd still need to wait to evolve into it? Also, doesnt the heracross work together with meganium? Say use meganium and deciueye with heracross

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Meganium - I admit that this ability is good giving that it is a free rare candy. The problem is Meganium is a Stage 2. You'll have a bad time to get this out to achieve this ability. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Heracross - Sceptile has a other non-GX atkr since the deck runs few energy. 3 Geodudes

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Meganium card no.5 and Heracross card no.14...hmm I'd say chances look pretty good for Sunkern/Sunflora's triumphant return to the TCG, but they could still potentially miss out.

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like Heracross will do best not in grass decks, but as a tech option for decks running counter energy that have a stage 2 that want to hit for grass weakness.

Ebralith

Aspiring Trainer
I think there is a misconception of value here, regarding Meganium's ability.
While, on paper, it seems incredible... in practice, it will almost always be clunkier than Rare Candy.

Especially since, being a stage2 itself, you'd want to Rare Candy Meganium anyways.
If it was a good attacker, it would synergize with itself.

But it's not.
It needs to be paired with another stage2.
and once Meganium has evolved your attacker, it becomes wasted bench space.

Yes, it can consistently string attackers late-game.
But most Stage2s don't need that. You're compromising early set-up consistency, for unneeded late-game set-up.
Similar argument arose when we saw Illuminate Shiinotic from SM.

TL;DR
Rare Candy > Meganium

Even excluding Rare Candy, I'd rather set-up with Leafeon's GX, or Grovyle's ability.
Those are both more consistent, and both Pokemon lend support to a deck, outside of just evolving your Pokemon.

MiniMads

The misunderstood Hero of Disasters
I'm going against the majority of people here but I'm going to go out and say that I love Meganium (I know I said the same about Azumarill the other day but hear me out). I can see this being a 1-0-1 in ANY deck that plays Rare Candy, because if you can get that Meganium out, you can get rolling pretty quickly AND did I mention it states NOWHERE on the card that you have to follow the evolution rules. Boy am I loving this, and I'm going to go out and say it, but this Meganium is an 8/10 card.
I'm not the biggest fan of Heracross, some have said it could go in Sceptile but in my Sceptile list I've made there isn't room for any more Pokemon (I already have 19 in the list). I see it being used more in decks that want to hit Grass weakness and run Counter Energy, just as a counter to stuff like Aquabox. My rating, a 4/10.
AZUMARILL RE-RATE:
I have come out of my Azumarill hype coma and realised that Azumarill isn't that good. It's what an item once did as an attack (but better). If this was a basic, my score would be the same, but it's a stage 1, therefore my new score is 6/10 compared to it's original 8/10

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Yo why is Sugimori artwork being wasted on a stock background like this? My mans is a legend - recall his original artwork for Heracross in Neo Genesis - that's how you do it. This is disrespect.