Zeraora-GX from SM7a Revealed!

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
Also, just like the salazzle from Dragon storm, the Pinsirs first attack is translated incorrectly.
It prevents the defending pokemon from retreating, NOT attacking.

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Does the Primerinas ability mean you can freely attach 2 energy, or 2 energy to the same pokemon? Also it says in the Japanese "at the same time," which might mean you cant attach 1, play a draw suppoter, then attach another. Either way thats a cool ability! Stage 2 makes it difficult to tech though.
I think they're trying to make it similar to the old Ancient Trait Alpha Growth, which allowed you to attach two Energy at once, but only at the same time

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
I think they're trying to make it similar to the old Ancient Trait Alpha Growth, which allowed you to attach two Energy at once, but only at the same time
Yea that was the impression I got as well. However the wording is different between them so I was curious if it might be applied differently, or is it only "different format, different wording" sort of thing.

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
Wow it seems like gen 8 Pokémon have been revealed:
- Kimba
- Tapu Poopoo
I can't wait to see more gen 8 Pokémon with such unique names!

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Some thoughts:

-Was really hoping Suicune-GX would be a thing in SM8 (and maybe it still could be), but the inclusion of Suicune in this set makes that seem a lot less likely

-There are a LOT of viable Counter Energy combos in this set, particularly Bulu, Victini, and Magearna; obviously Bulu will be competing with Shaymin-SLG, but it has significantly more bulk

-Unfortunately, Moltres will be outclassed completely by regular Volcanion in Expanded, but if any kind of Standard Fire-based strategy becomes prominent in the future, Moltres seems like a pretty solid Energy accelerator. If only it had 10 more HP...

zmaster0987

Zoroark is overrated
Opinion on all new cards:
Pinsir: Great option for a grass type attacker in non-grass decks. ●●●○○
Cascoon: Amazing ability, we just need some good Dustox and Beautiflies now. ●●●●○
Dustox: Great ability, my only problem with it is that Guzma sees a ton of play right now, so paralysis isn't as good as it seems. I'd we get a good Beautifly, maybe this could be really good however. ●●●○○
Gogoat: What we would want in a basic, except it's a stage 1. ●○○○○
Tapu Bulu: Gogoat, but actually a basic. ●●●○○
Moltres: Yveltal for fire types, which is something fire definitely needs for when Volcanion rotates. ●●●●○
Heatran: Too expensive, would much rather stick with the heatran we already have. ●●○○○
Victini: Good, cheap damage for basic fire decks. ●●●○○
Pyroar: Similar to Gogoat, but the first attack doesn't suck as bad. ●●○○○
Lapras: The ability is a little underwhelming, but it does give you a look at your top deck, so maybe it will see some play? ●●○○○
Suicune: Fun non-GX attacker in water decks. ●●●○○
Beartic: Second attack is too expensive, and the first attack is just underwhelming for a stage 1. ●●○○○
White Kyurem: Definitely has potential, just needs good partners. Awkward attack cost, but hey, if Rayquaza can do it, then so can Kyurem! :p ●●●○○
Primarina: Pretty interesting, especially when you consider that the GX does more damage for each water energy in play. However, it is a stage 2, which screams inconsistency. ●●○○○
Bruxish: Um, what? "Does 60 damage to one of your benched pokemon that already has damage counters on it." If that's correct, which I doubt, then that's kinda interesting. Could combo with the Unova Dragons, but ultimately too gimmicky. ●●○○○
Pachirisu: I'm assuming your opponent has to have a tool on them. Either way, this pretty good tool hate, reminds me of promo jirachi, but with tools instead of special energy, and it can actually hit. ●●●○○
Tapu Cocoa Puffs: Strafing with lightning might actually be good because of the plus power-like thingy coming out, and the second attack is great for a basic non-GX. ●●●○○
Alolan Dugtrio: Free attacking is good, but that doesn't make up for 90 hp. ●●○○○
Steelix: Huge damage, and a good option for U Necrozma-Malamar and Magnezone Metal, who will both probably play onix anyway. My only problem is, is it really worth playing over Celesteela? ●●●○○
Durant: It's back lol, and this one is about the same caliber as the grass one. ●●●○○
Magearna: Good GardevoirGX counter for a deck that already steamrolls it, and that's about it. ●●○○○
Kecleon: At least it confirms that we are getting a kecleon for each unit energy. It's only good against Golisopod, and no one plays that unit energy right now anyway. ●●○○○

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Yea that was the impression I got as well. However the wording is different between them so I was curious if it might be applied differently, or is it only "different format, different wording" sort of thing.
Well, I don't read Japanese, so I can't really argue on that XD

However, being able to freely attach two Energy from hand at different points during your turn is not only a little broken, but it could also be difficult to keep track of when actually playing the game. In that regard, forcing the attachments to be at the same time simply seems like the more likely scenario

Allatsea27

Aspiring Trainer
steelix seems decent with magnezone. bit awkward with max potion and mt coronet though. but a 180 hp single prize attacker with metal support seems excellent.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Onix is better than Steelix in my opinion. Gives decks a basic answer to Zoroark that is splashable. That Moltres is awesome but fire decks post rotation are Kiawe or die atm.

Max Maxwell

Aspiring Trainer
Great set!
My favorite cards are Zeraora Gx with good ability to use for every our pokemon in play and the prism stadium, while Pinsir amazed me! It's a BASIC Pokemon and with just one energy to block the attack of the active pokemon, it's terrible :eek:
Primarina is good too, i think that it plays with its Gx card to increase damages

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
Switch: you may switch your opponent with another player.

Finally, putting 4 of these in my deck.

MegaPod_781

Bug Thug
Shouldn’t the Bruxish’s attack do damage to an opponent’s benched Poiémon with damage counters on it?

Also, the new Popplio line cards are cute.

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Wells that's one way to get a Primarina card into the competitive scene, just the fact that it's a stage 2 will make it a challenge but at least its not a Gx for the 2 prize card knock out.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I would love to see some of the other Alolan Pokémon get cards, so far we've gotten 3 Alolan Diglett lines (along with a Japanese promo), 3 Alolan Exeggutor lines (along with another promo), while we've only gotten one Alolan Persian. I'd also love to see another Alolan Golem, but hey :)

Also, that Gogoat is absolutely adorable :3

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
there is a period of time, while guzma/acerola did not exist and fogp was still legal, where dustox/cascoon would have been s o a n n o y i n g

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
Great set!
My favorite cards are Zeraora Gx with good ability to use for every our pokemon in play and the prism stadium, while Pinsir amazed me! It's a BASIC Pokemon and with just one energy to block the attack of the active pokemon, it's terrible :eek:
Primarina is good too, i think that it plays with its Gx card to increase damages

Pinsir attack is a mistranslation, it only prevents them from retreating, not attacking.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Before someone copy my Scoring system, I have to make my reviews
  • Pinsir - One energy trapping mon but low dmg input. 2
  • Shuckle - Hands down, best way to fix nrg accel issues. 5 Geodudes
  • Wurmple/Cascoon/Dustox - Too weird that only Dustox is in SM7a not Beautifly. Too weird also that Cascoon's atk revolves around Silcoon as well. To Dustox, although Cascoon helps it, its still a one-time ability that Poisons the opponent and rots the bench after it, not just like Tapu Lele. 3/3/3
  • Virizion-Gx - Awkward cost, but hits Lycanroc and Lapras for weakness. Yay for that! 4 Geodudes
  • Skiddo/Gogoat - ehh. 2/2
  • Tapu Bulu - for a Counter Energy and Choice Band,plus full bench = 130. Good no. To hit Grass weakness, if there is a deck that is weak to it. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Moltres - hands down. Best energy accel post-rotation for Fire Decks. 4 Geodudes
  • Slugma/Magcargo-GX - Good nrg accel to any Pokemon with massive atk power and good with CST Magcargo. 3/5
  • Heatran - best artwork but the atk is too short to hit Golisopod for weakness. 3 Geodudes
  • Victini - I cannot think of a basic-only deck that fits this card. Maybe Volcanion in Expanded. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Litleo/Pyroar - first female Pyroar in the TCG. Litleo's abilitt is good in Expanded where 2 Pyroar were amazingly good. 3/2
  • Lapras - Weak Premonition but can be useful. 3 Geodudes
  • Suicune - OK. 3
  • Cubchoo/Beartic - with Aqua Patch and DCE, You can only hit 120-150. Yeah! And no relevant Fire deck aside Ho-oh that will be good nxt rotation. 2/3
  • White Kyurem - CE+W+CB= OHKO Buzzwole. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Popplio/Brionne/Primarina -#TeamPopplio. If you play Primarina-GX, consider this Baby Primarina #HeyNick! Its Alpha Growth as an ability. 3/3/4
  • Bruxish- Unimpressive. 2 Geodudes
  • Blitzle/Zebstrika - Really impressive. Since Sycamore is no-no next rotation, 1-1 of these or play one on the bench is fine. 3/5
  • Electabuzz/Electivire - even though that it hits the numbers and with the help of Counter Gain and Thunder Mountain, the Q is how to get those nrgs back and spam those big numbers? 3/3-4
  • Pachirisu - No Snuggly Gen but this is still underwhelming you can only hit for 180 and you only KO a Rainbow Bird. That's it! 3 Geodudes
  • Stunfisk - ehh. 2 Geodudes
  • Tapu Koko - 10 HP bulkier than FFKoko, still the hit-and-run at is expensive and weak. 3 Geodudes
  • Zeraora-GX - It's the best! 5 Geodudes
  • Onix/Steelix - now I can make a review on this Evo line, here it is: not as bulkier as the mod era reprint one but the atks is pretty underwhelming. Gosh dangit! 2-3/3
  • Alolan Diglett/Alolan Dugtrio - Ehhh. Just use the ULP one if u want a better atk. 2/1
  • Dialga - not as great as ever, not also broken. 3 Geodudes
  • Durant - not as good as the previous Durants. Pretty weird that it has same illustrator as Heatmor, their archenemy and their predator. 2 Geodudes
  • Cobalion - good CE user and a non-GX atkr. 3 Geodudes
  • Genesect-GX - even with Counter Gain and the ability to use 2 tools, it's still expensive and losing the ability to use DCE. But the dmg is amazing. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Magearna - Good Gardevoir counter? Whose playing Gardevoir right now? 3 Geodudes
  • Ditto Prism - I misjudge Ditto. Yeah it still has the Buzzwole weakness, but it gives you the possible 5th basic if you run 4-4-1 Evo line like Lurantis for instance, (I know Lurantis is underrated as of now) It needs Sunny Day Lurantis to boost Solar Blade but the problem is you can carry 4 Fomantis. Ditto can make it happen. Although Tapu Lele makes it mad! 5 Geodudes
  • Kecleon - Same ability as Kecleon from CST (it uses Unit GRW), it is the most underwhelming when it comes to the atk. You still 30 HP short to KO a Golisopod. Same as Slugma that people went crazy lately, I dunno why. I recommend Golisopod players to run 1 copy of Hustle Belt to counter these non sense damage atkrs. 2 Geodudes. Sorry if I became harsh.
  • Mix Herb - Just use Guzma and you most likely to get KOed anyway. 3 Geodudes
  • Custom Catcher - a Lysandre effect but in awkward situations. 3 Geodudes
  • Electro Power - 5 Geodudes
  • Thunder Mountain Prism - now I know. It prevents Items and Supporters that may affect this card. That is the thing that I am confused of. I am fine in the first one. 5 Geodudes
  • Sightseer - 5 Geodudes no need to explain. Maybe 2-3
  • Counter Gain - 4-5 Geodudes because you can lose the ability to use. CHoice Band but in Electric decks, I have no problem on that.
  • Kahili - ehhhh. 2 Geodudes
EDIT: Now that I have given my reviews, feel free to comment. @Mr. Rhyperior

Last edited: