News Japan's SM6b, 'Champion Road'!

Friend ball is interesting. People could use it as another out to lele, as more often than not the opponent will have one on the field. Or even just a zoroark search if the opponent is playing zoroark. I like it

even more nostalgic than evolutions.

no kidding. I bought a box of Evolutions JP, I'm probably buying a box of this set.

the Neo Discovery cards are a total nostalgia trip from out of left field. one of my favorite sets, and one I never expected to ever see another call-out to ever again.

Unless there's 2 FA Mr. Mime (Magic Evens and Odds), it's pretty likely that we'll be getting a FA Underground Expedition based on the placement of TV Reporter. Also, I'm super excited to see the FA versions of Electrode and Mr. Mime, since they really were unexpected candidates for GX cards (had there not been a 'reprint' set, I don't believe they would ever have gotten GX cards), so I hope they look really good! :D

Onix's Screech attack: During your opponent’s next turn, if an attack damages the Defending Pokemon, that attack does 20 more damage to the Defending Pokemon (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

Does this not make much sense to do, or is it just me?

Friend Ball seems like an interesting way to search a Lele after a few turns have passed. Will probably stick with UB/Mysterious Treasure though, just in case the opponent has the Brigette in opening hand and doesn't need the Lele.

So the good cards are copycat, energy recycle system and rainbow energy for its art, everything else is either meh, or just bad. Kinda sad, they could do better

Hit & run Donphan can be a thing. Been waiting quite a while for a good hit & run card. A lot of half decent cards that need to be active that had no way of getting there.

The damage output is going to need a lot of help though.

Will be incredibly disappointed if there’s no full art for Electrode or Mr.Mime
It's pretty much confirmed that there'll be FA versions of the two. The placement of TV Reporter FA confirms 7 FA cards, where at least 6 are the FA GX and the 7th is either the other Mr. Mime or Underground Expedition :)

Well at least the set isn't full of lukewarm trash. Magcargo, Scizor, the Mimes and Dunsparce will certainly find their way into some decks. Energy Recycle System is a sort-of-good replacement for Super Rod, and Friendly Ball could be the second Ball card a few decks need. Ariados, Feraligatr, Ludicolo, Blaziken and Articuno could become good budget or fun decks down the line, but right now they just seem like PTCGO-only material.

Honestly, I think I'd rather buy a booster box of this than Celestial Storm. I've become less interested in collecting due to the pull rates/how massive our English sets have become in the Sun & Moon era (in order to keep up with the billions of sets that are being pumped out of Japan). This is the most excited I've been for the TCG in... about a year, I think? And it's purely for nostalgia. And I don't throw that word out there often because I feel that most people use that word with reckless abandon in recent years. It's rare that I truly feel nostalgic, but this is one case. Considering that I like this set simply for nostalgic reasons, and these cards would be about a third or half of the cards in Celestial Storm, why not just go after this set?

Though I collected cards in the first generation, my very first pack was from Neo Genesis, and I got that Onix in that pack. It was so different from other Onix cards, and I was excited by the possibility of getting that Steelix card. That Steelix, that Sneasel, and especially that Tyranitar: Some of my favorite cards from the Neo sets.

I'm glad to see some Trainers from the e-series sets too! Especially Underground Expedition and Apricorn Maker. It would have been awesome to see a reprint of Relic Hunter! I've always loved that artwork. And my goodness, the possibility of a full art? An old, one-off TCG character getting new artwork... Ah, well. Might've been a neat card for the TCG, as well.

• Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel - Nah. Its like Ludicolo PRC, no originality. Means, nothin' good. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Scyther/Scizor-GX - Adjustable dmg if Scizor has fewer HP? Why not? 3 Geodudes
  • Spinarak/Ariados - Ok, throw a jellyfish and it can deal 120 for 1 w/o setting up stuff. 3 Geodudes
  • Cacnea/Cacturne - ehhh? Worthy ability, lame attacks. 2 Geodudes
  • Slugma/Magcargo - not the other Slugma whose its face is the artwork??! Well, Let's go, Magcargo/Zoroark! 4 Geodudes
  • Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken - Ok. Good ability. Good attack. But being a Stage 2 might be a bit suck. 3 Geodudes
  • Articuno-GX - Its literally a Tapu Koko but a Water-type and decent GX atk. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr - I don't think Feraligatr will be good on its own hence the lack of supports in it, mostly on discarding stuff. 3 Geodudes
  • Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo - Ludicolo is a Stage 2 ver. Of Sandslash, 70+10 is not enough on how good Ludicolo that suppose to be. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Voltorb/Electrode-GX - Yes. You can do the ability on a evolving non-GX but non-GX pre-evos are so frikin frail. Gonna get fast to get the advantage. And also, giving up 2 prizes is a pain so better run 1-1 of it so that the opponent won't get the auto-win. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Chinchou/Lanturn - 140 for 3 with discarding L energy isn't enough to hit thr numbers before something like CB goes in. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Mr. Mime-GX - Yeah. Choice Band destroys this ability. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Lunatone/Solrock - not the one that saw play. The one who do damage depending on Solrock/Lunatone in play. Anyways, these prevents Volcanion from happening but it took 2 spaces to get this going. 3 Geodudes
  • Gulpin/Swalot - Yay! A new Swalot card. That's it. 2 Geodudes
  • Shuppet/Banette-GX - Better use the atk for the late-game because supporters are essential and used if needed because we don't have VS Seeker, BTW, VS Seeker in the set??! That sucks!! 3-4 Geodudes
  • Onix/Steelix - This Steelix saw play before, right? Today, its sucks, despite of having bulkier HP. 190 on a Stage 1 non-GX? Wow! I am gonna tell Wailord for this. 2 Geodudes
  • Phanpy/Donphan - OMG! Prof. google will love this, period. 2 Geodudes
  • Sneasel - Before, Sneasel got banned because of how Broken it is. Now, its just a plain updated card of the Undaunted one. 2 Geodudes
  • Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar - too expensive and too risky. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Sableye - so many uses but not friendly on Bench space. 3 Geodudes
  • Mawile - just a waste of turn just to attach tools. 2 Geodudes
  • Bagon/Shelgon/Salamence-GX - Free retreat on non- EX/GX is a bit disappointing. 3 Geodudes
  • Kangaskhan - Is it the first time in the SM era that a non-GX have 3 atks? 2 Geodudes
  • Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking - Good ability but on a Stage 2. I wish we still have the "Turn 1 Rare Candy rule" to become good again. 3 Geodudes
  • Ho-oh - 300 dmg if all energy was in Ho-oh but 130 Hp Pokémon is not a good candidate for stacking Energy. 2 Geodudes
  • Dunsparce - 5 Geodudes.
  • Energy Recycle System - Just play energy retrieval. Its an Energy Search and Super Rod in one card. But you need to choose of course. 2 Geodudes
  • Rare Candy - looks a standard in every format just to make Stage 2s better.
  • Energy Switch - Its Energy Switch
  • Switch - Its Switch.
  • Super Scoop Up - Its Super Scoop Up
  • TV Reporter - too slow. Its a trade in a supporter form. 2 Geodudes
  • PokeNav - Ok. 3 Geodudes
  • Friend Ball - Searches Lele better. 3 Geodudes
  • Lure Ball - Just play Timer Ball but you can throw 1 of this card if you want. 3 Geodudes
  • Underground Expedition - ULP Oranguru saw play with Zoroark. Tech one of these in your deck. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Apricorn Maker - Searches Ultra Ball? 4 Geodudes
  • Copycat - we need more draw support. 4 Geodudes
  • Bill's Maintenance - Sir. It was originated in Expedition not EX FireRed and LeafGreen. 3 Geodudes
  • Rainbow Energy - Its Rainbow Energy.
Cards that it should be reprinted:
VS Seeker
Scramble Energy

Back