News New Solgaleo-GX and Lunala-GX in November Starter Set!

SucyX

A Legit Seed
YAAASSSS THIS CARDS BACK AND INSTEAD OF OAK ITS MY FAVORITE CHAR FOR POKEMON!!!!! Also I doubt this will completely stop people from playing N when it's released N has other things that make it good I could see decks that play 4 n and 4 syc maybe start playing 3 syc 2 n and 3 cynthia

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
Well, Sycamore had a good run as a draw supporter, no more destroying 2 guzmas. This also means that we don’t have to free our opponent with an N when we have a hand with like 1 N, 2 Guzma, and a Sycamore.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Huh... maybe I'm just too out of the loop (or bad XP) at Standard Format play, but I didn't think any Supporter was a guaranteed, maxed out staple. For that matter, I didn't think any were maxed out staples for most decks. Professor Sycamore and N are something you probably max out, but even then it is one or the other as often as both.

Based on hazy memories of the time when Professor Oak's New Theory was Standard legal and the longterm state of the Legacy Format, Cynthia will become part of a "trinity" of draw Supporters most decks include for their differing strengths and weaknesses. Depending upon the deck, the exact counts will vary, but I'd say an average of three of each is likely. Possibly, only two N as his role of hand disruption will now be what distinguishes him (instead of being the go-to shuffle-and-draw Supporter).

Alakazam90125

Aspiring Trainer
Definitely great extra draw- will definitely be used, especially in next years format.
Oaks New Theory is great to have back!

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
If on your turn 1 you opponent doesn't play a supporter card, they probobly have a bad hand. do you really want to give your opponent a new hand of 6. NOPE! Cynthia will be the card of choice in the early game since you won't be discarding those valuable DCE cards.

N is still a good card, but will only see play in the late game when the opponent has 1 prize remaining.
should N still be a 4 copy card? maybe not. i say play a 2-2 cynthia N split. maybe favouring Cynthia a little bit more, because even if your down to 1 prize card, you can still get a new hand of 6.

Personally, I'm sticking to 4 Ns.
Mainly because I play Volcanion, and have Oranguru, so getting down to 2s and 1s is not an issue.

But there are two other reasons I prefer 4 N:
  • N is arguably the best supporter for late game, because it allows multiple options.
Late game, you don't want to play Sycamore, or you risk milling yourself and/or losing your remaining resources.
Cynthia does not differ much here, which is the issue.
N is great, because it allows a "safe" draw option.
N will only be drawing you around 4 cards mid-to late game, and can actually be used to prevent a deck out; while simultaneously changing your opponents hand.
Now this can be a good or bad thing, as we know... but, it leads me to my next reason.

• Access to N.
If you are running a 2-2 split, you just... have less Ns. There's no way around that.
That means, if you find yourself with a bad hand, and have to N... You now only have 1 N for the rest of the game; which could be prized...!

This means, you have less of a chance to react to/disrupt your opponent's plays.
Examples:
Sylveon GX card search, A-Vulpix Pokemon search, and Drampa GX's Big Wheel.

So, even if you're running Lusamine, you'd have to get the N back ahead of time, to be able to play it.
More options allows you to make better plays. N allows more options; especially since it has the same use as Cynthia at the start.

Reasons Cynthia would see play...?
Well, it's not a bad draw supporter, at all.
So, if you're just looking for more card draw, then... why not?
It is also preference in the end, I was just explaining mine~

Well, Sycamore had a good run as a draw supporter, no more destroying 2 guzmas. This also means that we don’t have to free our opponent with an N when we have a hand with like 1 N, 2 Guzma, and a Sycamore.

Sycamore will still see play.
While it sucks to throw away cards, it's also a good thing.
Shuffling is less effective at "finding" a card, as you're putting the cards you don't need back into the deck.
Example:
You need a DCE to win, you have 7 cards left in your deck...
Sycamore guarantees the win.
Cynthia will not.

Sycamore's also used to get cards into the discard, that want to be there.
Examples:
Night March or Energy for acceleration (Volcanion, Darkrai, etc.)

Also... just drawing 7 over 6, could be the difference in a match.

Huh... maybe I'm just too out of the loop (or bad XP) at Standard Format play, but I didn't think any Supporter was a guaranteed, maxed out staple. For that matter, I didn't think any were maxed out staples for most decks. Professor Sycamore and N are something you probably max out, but even then it is one or the other as often as both.

Based on hazy memories of the time when Professor Oak's New Theory was Standard legal and the longterm state of the Legacy Format, Cynthia will become part of a "trinity" of draw Supporters most decks include for their differing strengths and weaknesses. Depending upon the deck, the exact counts will vary, but I'd say an average of three of each is likely. Possibly, only two N as his role of hand disruption will now be what distinguishes him (instead of being the go-to shuffle-and-draw Supporter).

Most deck lists are running:
4 Sycamore
4 N
3-4 Guzma (with 4 being more common)

Though, you're probably right on the second part; people will likely sub out a supporter for Cynthia.
Maybe go down to 3 Sycamore, or 3 N.

However, I don't see her outright replacing either~

skawt

boop
If on your turn 1 you opponent doesn't play a supporter card, they probobly have a bad hand. do you really want to give your opponent a new hand of 6. NOPE! Cynthia will be the card of choice in the early game since you won't be discarding those valuable DCE cards.

N is still a good card, but will only see play in the late game when the opponent has 1 prize remaining.
should N still be a 4 copy card? maybe not. i say play a 2-2 cynthia N split. maybe favouring Cynthia a little bit more, because even if your down to 1 prize card, you can still get a new hand of 6.
Turn 1 if I notice they have a bad hand or only have 2-3 cards left, I'll try to Sycamore or Lillie instead. I usually only play 3 N to begin with, but I'd probably run 1 or 2 Cynthia. Never ran Hau or Shauna in my decks.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
YES!!!!! I have wanted a PONT "reprint" for years!! And as a bonus, it's Cynthia! I can't wait for the inevitable full art, but I dread the prices for it...

In the near future when this is released, I foresee several splits of how many copies to add either in addition to Sycamore and N or to replace one; all three are amazing and have their pros and cons. But when Sycamore and N rotate, 4 copies of Cynthia in every deck. Ha ha.

Vulpixy

Just your friendly neighborhood Vulpix
YAAASSSS THIS CARDS BACK AND INSTEAD OF OAK ITS MY FAVORITE CHAR FOR POKEMON!!!!! Also I doubt this will completely stop people from playing N when it's released N has other things that make it good I could see decks that play 4 n and 4 syc maybe start playing 3 syc 2 n and 3 cynthia

I was thinking more like 4 N, 3 Sycamore, and 2-3 Cynthia (adding more draw support to a deck). Without Vs Seeker Sycamore feels a little more risky and N is still a solid draw/disrupt while in standard. That's just my thought :)

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
Personally, I'm sticking to 4 Ns.
Mainly because I play Volcanion, and have Oranguru, so getting down to 2s and 1s is not an issue.

But there are two other reasons I prefer 4 N:
  • N is arguably the best supporter for late game, because it allows multiple options.
Late game, you don't want to play Sycamore, or you risk milling yourself and/or losing your remaining resources.
Cynthia does not differ much here, which is the issue.
N is great, because it allows a "safe" draw option.
N will only be drawing you around 4 cards mid-to late game, and can actually be used to prevent a deck out; while simultaneously changing your opponents hand.
Now this can be a good or bad thing, as we know... but, it leads me to my next reason.

• Access to N.
If you are running a 2-2 split, you just... have less Ns. There's no way around that.
That means, if you find yourself with a bad hand, and have to N... You now only have 1 N for the rest of the game; which could be prized...!

This means, you have less of a chance to react to/disrupt your opponent's plays.
Examples:
Sylveon GX card search, A-Vulpix Pokemon search, and Drampa GX's Big Wheel.

So, even if you're running Lusamine, you'd have to get the N back ahead of time, to be able to play it.
More options allows you to make better plays. N allows more options; especially since it has the same use as Cynthia at the start.

Reasons Cynthia would see play...?
Well, it's not a bad draw supporter, at all.
So, if you're just looking for more card draw, then... why not?
It is also preference in the end, I was just explaining mine~

Sycamore will still see play.
While it sucks to throw away cards, it's also a good thing.
Shuffling is less effective at "finding" a card, as you're putting the cards you don't need back into the deck.
Example:
You need a DCE to win, you have 7 cards left in your deck...
Sycamore guarantees the win.
Cynthia will not.

Sycamore's also used to get cards into the discard, that want to be there.
Examples:
Night March or Energy for acceleration (Volcanion, Darkrai, etc.)

Also... just drawing 7 over 6, could be the difference in a match.

Most deck lists are running:
4 Sycamore
4 N
3-4 Guzma (with 4 being more common)

Though, you're probably right on the second part; people will likely sub out a supporter for Cynthia.
Maybe go down to 3 Sycamore, or 3 N.

However, I don't see her outright replacing either~

After some thought, I agree with that statement actually, i would go 3 Cynthia, 3 sycamore.

EDIT: Rephrased my thoughts

Last edited:

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies

THEY ACTUALLY REPRINTED THIS EFFECT?! :eek:

Really though: I thought the 'Shuffle and draw 6" was the ultimate taboo placed on the game designers, ever since PONT was discontinued 7 years ago, and Shauna forcefully declared 5 cards as the ultimate satety limit. Every other draw support that followed just danced around Shauna's low drawing setbacks, whether it be Oak's Hint, Wicke, Psychic's 3rd Eye, Illma, Birch's Observatations, Ace Trainer, Lillie, Hala, Giovanni's Scheme, Lass's Special, even the reprint of N...

After Cynthia... I can't help but laugh like crazy at all of those tactics they've tried!

...Now, for that Colress Reprint.

MetaCall

ADVGYM
1. Will become a 2-3 stable in every deck now
2. After next rotation this will be a 4 of and the Best Supporter in the game
3. No ones talking about this being PROOF that the most difficult Champion in Pokémon VG History will be back in Ultra ☀️ & to destroy us once again

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hmm...

I just headed over to the official results page because I realized that is what I ought to do, in light of my own earlier question about what people are running. The short version is that no, not every deck maxes out Guzma, N, and Professor Sycamore. However, I was still wrong because a significant amount is maxing out two of the three, and some are maxing out all three. Though as maxing out Guzma seems mostly an issue for decks that can take extra advantage of it (Golisopod-GX), I am uncertain as to how much that should "count". I am wondering how much of this is due to actually needing to use that many and how much of it is because we need extras to improve the odds of drawing into them promptly and to have "spares" because most games, I'll be forced to use some as discard fodder.

Glancing at a few other posts, I am worried that some may be overstating their case and/or cherry-picking some facts. Yeah, that sounds pretty condescending since I just messed but sometimes it takes one to know one. ;) Seriously though, people like @DKQuagmire @Ecourts and @skawt bring up some good points, but here's my concern (or counterargument). The two major draw cards, N and Professor Sycamore, have significant drawbacks. Some decks or situations turn these into benefits; in the case of N messing with your opponent's hand, it is intended to be a benefit. I don't know if a single competitive deck would drop all copies of either for Cynthia, but based on Professor Oak's New Theory and its performance when it was Standard-legal and during the life of the Legacy Format, it should be well worth making room for two to three Cynthia in the average deck.

Cynthia won't be the best opening Supporter, but it is a good, safe one. It won't be the best early game Supporter, but it will be a good, safe one. It won't be the best midgame supporter, but it will be a good, safe one. It won't be the best late game Supporter, but it will be one of the decent ones.

Pokeprinxe

I HAVE A CUBONE TATTOOED ON MY FACE.
Everyone knew that they would reprint N's ability in a different trainer. I wonder what the full art will look like?!