News New Solgaleo-GX and Lunala-GX in November Starter Set!

Seastrome

Aspiring Trainer
The no weakness thing definitely helps the matchup vs Volcanion but I still think Volcanion would be favored just due to it's fast paced nature vs a clunky deck of Evolutions like Solgaleo.

Kyrushi

Squirrel
The no weakness thing definitely helps the matchup vs Volcanion but I still think Volcanion would be favored just due to it's fast paced nature vs a clunky deck of Evolutions like Solgaleo.
Volcanion is running Brooklet Hill a lot lately to help it get the EXs quickly. Would be worth mixing in SM1 Araquanid as a tech just to shut it down. SM1's Solgaleo GX lets you switch for free when you're ready anyways.

Goldbot123

Aspiring Trainer
I did see your Edit 2, but I'm talking about any match up, not just the Gardevoir match up.

Since this thread is about the new Solgaleo GX, I'm completely focused on trying to figure out its potential. I think putting in at least 1 of the OG Solgaleo GX was already implied. Even if you don't play a single steel energy, free switching every turn is just crazy. But hey, if there's no better options than just running steel for the crazy 230 base damage, then so be it.

You're right. There is nothing stopping Gardevoir from splashing in new Solgaleo GX, but there's not much point when it still doesn't solve the issue of needing 6 energy and a choice band or 7 energy to OHKO an opposing Solgaleo GX. This card IS going to see massive play simply. Not just for the Gardevoir counter, but because it's freaking unkillable with built in energy acceleration and fire protection. Running it with Gardevoir is just not the most efficient way to do things, or at least that's what I feel right now.

Run new Solgaleo with gardevoir to Negate Gardy's own weakness to metal type!

Jpkemperor

Deck Builder and Researcher

Not only that, it only takes a fighting fury belt and 2 steam ups on a Ho oh GX to OHKO Solgaleo. It's certainly harder than taking advantage of weakness but it's fairly possible to do.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Run new Solgaleo with gardevoir to Negate Gardy's own weakness to metal type!

That's true, but as explained in the post you quoted, that requires an absurd amount of energy to respond with an OHKO.

The Sun & Moon Solgaleo GX can pump out OHKOs on Gardevoir just with the 230 base damage and it only needs 2 turns to charge up each time, or you can just Guzma up their 1 copy of new Solgaleo GX, OHKO it with choice band for 260, then your new Solgaleo GX will start OHKOing for a DCE again.

All in all it's far too frail and much less reliable than just pure Solgaleo GX. IMO anyway.

Starrydash

Aspiring Trainer
First Sivally, now Solgaleo steals another pokemon's GX Attack??? But otherwise, Solgaleo-GX is AMAZING!!!

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
Uhhh sorry but I am pretty sure the translation of Solgaleo's ProminenceGX attack is wrong. It says to heal all of your __ Pokemon. If you look at the picture the portion that is covered has a new sort of symbol using either a B or a P at the end of it, there is even furigana on top of the letter. It seems there will be a new type of card entering the game, very interesting.

Edit: I guess they decided to use big english text for the description haha. I retract my statements

Last edited:

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
I think we're all overhyping Solgaleo-GX a little bit. Its ability is great to remove weakness, but I think we forget Altar of the Sunne is a thing and that hasn't changed the Solgaleo-GX match-up against Volcanion too much. Although this is a better way of doing that, as Volcanion doesn't run Garbodor to remove that. Though technically a Turtonator-GX or Ho-Oh-GX with a couple of Steam Up's and Choice Band can knock them out, though that isn't very practical. Its attacks aren't amazing, you don't want to try and accelerate energy with a stage two. I'd stick too Rayquaza for energy acceleration. Although it is nice that it can knock out Gardevoir-GX in one hit. And honestly that GX attack isn't the greatest, healing is cool, but I'd personally prefer quickly setting up an attacker with Sol Burst. (It is a bit hypocritical to say that it's bad to accelerate with this new one but fine with the old one, but the old one is a lot better to accelerate energy.) Is this going to help Solgaleo-GX be a Tier Three or Tier Two deck, well yeah? But it's not going to be tier one. It has a good Gardevoir-GX matchup, bad Volcanion matchup (you still need to get a stage two out to prevent your Pokemon from being OHKO'd, it's not close to a perfect system like people are saying.) And then just ok matchups against other decks. It objectively looks amazing, but it really only has one great matchup, and then everything else is either ok or bad.

Baconcrisp3

Aspiring Trainer
I think we're all overhyping Solgaleo-GX a little bit. Its ability is great to remove weakness, but I think we forget Altar of the Sunne is a thing and that hasn't changed the Solgaleo-GX match-up against Volcanion too much. Although this is a better way of doing that, as Volcanion doesn't run Garbodor to remove that. Though technically a Turtonator-GX or Ho-Oh-GX with a couple of Steam Up's and Choice Band can knock them out, though that isn't very practical. Its attacks aren't amazing, you don't want to try and accelerate energy with a stage two. I'd stick too Rayquaza for energy acceleration. Although it is nice that it can knock out Gardevoir-GX in one hit. And honestly that GX attack isn't the greatest, healing is cool, but I'd personally prefer quickly setting up an attacker with Sol Burst. (It is a bit hypocritical to say that it's bad to accelerate with this new one but fine with the old one, but the old one is a lot better to accelerate energy.) Is this going to help Solgaleo-GX be a Tier Three or Tier Two deck, well yeah? But it's not going to be tier one. It has a good Gardevoir-GX matchup, bad Volcanion matchup (you still need to get a stage two out to prevent your Pokemon from being OHKO'd, it's not close to a perfect system like people are saying.) And then just ok matchups against other decks. It objectively looks amazing, but it really only has one great matchup, and then everything else is either ok or bad.

This thing has actually pretty good match ups for the most part, if you use this as the main attacker. Two shotting other Pokemon is still very good especially when this thing is going to be really difficult to one shot. I'd have to say the Volcanion match up is great, at least from what I can see. Alter of the Sun was just not that great since it could be discarded so easily.

Baconcrisp3

Aspiring Trainer
I have a hard time finding any bad match ups with this card tbh. I think it's just a great card. If someone could, Id very much like to know what a good counter for this card could be, because, as far as I can tell, this card has absolutely no downside besides the fact that it's a stage two, nothing counters this card at all.

Memory

不安のない挑戦はない
I have a hard time finding any bad match ups with this card tbh. I think it's just a great card. If someone could, Id very much like to know what a good counter for this card could be, because, as far as I can tell, this card has absolutely no downside besides the fact that it's a stage two, nothing counters this card at all.
Could always play salazzle garbodor for the auto win.
But of course, this would lose to every other deck out there.

EGrim

Rising Top Competitor
I can't wait for this Solgaleo GX, ITS SO GOOD!!! Those who say we are "overhyping" this card, we are not....high HP with no weakness....come on, don't be dumb, its as good as it sounds

Baconcrisp3

Aspiring Trainer
Could always play salazzle garbodor for the auto win.
But of course, this would lose to every other deck out there.

See, that's the thing. I don't even really think this deck has an auto win (it definitely has the advantage though). Even then, there's still no "good" deck that also counters this card. I'm sure some really cool new deck will arise to counter this one though :p

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
I can't wait for this Solgaleo GX, ITS SO GOOD!!! Those who say we are "overhyping" this card, we are not....high HP with no weakness....come on, don't be dumb, its as good as it sounds

Y'all are though. Don't get me wrong the deck is going to be tier two or one, but it isn't an untouchable deck like y'all are thinking. First of all, weakness only applies to Volcanion-EX and Ho-Oh-GX/Salazzle-GX, so if you have literally any other match-up other than that, this Solgaleo-GX does nothing unless you need to heal something. It is good that this is taking down Gardevoir-GX, but Gardevoir has been on the decline, so even that isn't as amazing as y'all think. Right now some of the best decks in standard that I haven't already covered are Garbodor decks, Alolan Ninetales, and Tapu Bulu. And these all aren't amazing match-ups.

Trashalance Garbodor can definitely get OHKOs on 250 HP, if you playing Solgaleo-GX and use 12-14 items, your opponent playing Trashalance can get consistent OHKOs. However that's realistically not going to happen, however, cards like Rare Candy and Ultra Ball are necessary for this deck to work consistently. So you have to pick your poison, risk having an inconsistent set-up skipping Rare Candy and instead go for Cosmoem manual evolutions, or risk setting up quick OHKOs for your opponent. And need I mention that Solgaleo-GX is a two-prize attacker, and Garbodor is a one-prize attacker, your prize game won't be in your favor. And on top of that, Garbotoxin removes Ultra Road, and assuming this deck doesn't run many copies of Float Stone, Guzma's are going to hurt a lot.

Alolan Ninetales, a little bit more iffy than my last point, but still it needs to be mentioned. Baby Alolan Ninetales blocks Solgaleo-GX, which means if you're worried about this match-up you need to put in a Baby Solgaleo, or risk having a horrible matchup if they get Baby Alolan Ninetales out. And if you add Baby Solgaleo, your either ending up with a 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 split of Solgaleos, either you're not going to have enough of your attackers or way too many Solgaleos. Honestly, I'd just go for a 3-1 split of the GX's and just take the L on these match-ups, since Aloan Ninetales is also on the decline. But my point isn't that this is a valid thing to worry about, simply that this deck isn't untouchable like you think, things can still counter this.

Another thing I think were forgetting is that nasty, "Discard all Energy from this Pokemon.' There's no getting away from this. This deck is still inconsistent, even if you switch between attacking with the SUMO Solgaleo-GX, then restoring his energy with the new Solgaleo-GX the next turn. THIS ISN'T CONSISTENT. You are going to be left with awkward two hit KOs with the new Solgaleo-GX on every match-up that isn't Gardevoir-GX, as you wouldn't want to build up a Solgaleo-GX and then blow it on something you can just attack with something else. This rarely works! The only time this type of attack where you discard all energy has worked are Tapu Bulu-GX and Necrozma-GX, but those are only good because you can get them immediately set-up the next turn with Vikavolt and Metagorss-GX, and attack with the same attacker. Instead of this deck wwere you have to switch attackers just to get your attacker set-up. The only way you could combat this would be adding Metagross-GX, but that would be a horrible idea. Even though this deck can get consistent knockouts, you're going to have to wait to attack again.

Do I think Solgaleo-GX is going to be a good deck, yes, but it's not as amazing as you all think. So no, I don't think I'm "stupid," for underhyping this deck, I'm just looking past the veil of perfection you all have put over this card. Only to realize there are things wrong with this deck that you aren't covering.

Last edited: