Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2017 - PokéDex Colours - Results Are Up!

I completely redid my entry because I grew bored. Maybe I shouldn't upload my cards so early haha. I'll take the minus two points.
I actually really liked your Chili Crab, Whismur! I actually think it's the better of the two! :p ...Although, if you really want to have the Pachirisu as your new entry, that's okay too. :)

Here is my entry for image based:)
blank by aschefield101.deviantart.com/
foil effect by icycatelf.deviantart.com/
art by vaporeon249.deviantart.com/
celesteela_gx_final_by_pokesage101-db6dg95.png
I edited once i will take -2 points.

Last edited:
Here is my entry for the Image-Based Create-a-Card.

Seedot%20V2.0.png

Concept

Recently, I feel TPCi is guilty of using Basic and Stage 1 Pokémon only as stepping stones for their evolved forms, giving them uninteresting attacks and, usually, no Abilities. On the one hand, this makes sense but it's a missed opportunity to widen the pool of competitively viable Pokémon; hence I settled on Seedot as my entry for this month's contest. With Seedot I've tried to strike a balance - equipping it with a useful Ability, without being meta-shiftingly overpowered.

A Rock-type acorn Pokémon falling from a tree, booping you on the snoot and ending up on the ground (and with a little fight in it along the way). Thematically, discarding Seedot from the hand mirrors the acorn falling from the tree, whilst the attack can be used to get it into your hand (i.e. the "tree"). I've used the Pokédex entry from Pokémon Emerald, which fits this theme.

There are not many Abilities that can activate directly from the hand and I see this as an area for potential. However, as it's easy to get a Seedot into your hand and activate 'Falling Acorn', I was careful to add a drawback in the way both Active Pokémon are damaged. The intention here is to encourage strategic play, whereby a player must weigh up the short-term gain of damaging the opponent's Active Pokémon (maybe putting it in KO range) versus softening up your own Active Pokémon for a possible revenge KO later on. The current metagame is well equipped to deal with the potential for spammability - there are plenty of Ability-locking cards, such as Silent Lab, Wobbuffet, Garbodor and Alolan Muk - so this serves to keep it in check.

All in all, it was a lot of fun coming up the concept and designing the card. I hope you like Seedot!

Credits

Thanks to those below for their contributions!

Card Blank: Cscdgnpry @ DeviantArt
Artwork: Autobot Tesla @ DeviantArt and Twitter (link to permission, HERE)
References: Pkmncards (see Audino BCR #126 and Gourgeist XY #57 in particular)
General Guidance: @aschefield101 & PokemonCardResources @ DeviantArt

Just a reminder that if you wish to drop out, you must do so before the 22nd of April -- see this countdown for the deadline in your timezone -- to avoid occuring a penalty! You can still sign up after this deadline, although it is preferrable that if you are to sign-up, you do so as soon as possible. :)

For my entry I present to you, mostly trash! :p
Wormadam (Trash Cloak) Stage 1 HP: 100 [R] (Evolves from Burmy)
NO. 413 / Bagworm Pokémon / HT: 1’8” / WT 14.3 lbs.

Ability: Trash Gathering
During your turn (before you attack) you may attach up to 5 Item cards from your hand to this Pokémon. This Pokémon gets +10 HP for each Item card you attach. Discard all cards attached in this way at the end of your opponent’s next turn.

[R][R][C] Self Incineration 90+
This Pokémon does 20 damage to itself. You may discard up to 5 Item cards attached to this Pokémon. This attack does 10 more damage for each Item card you discard.

When evolving, its body takes in surrounding materials. As a result, there are many body variations.
Weakness: [W] x2 / Resistance: [G] -20 / Retreat: [C][C]
So I chose Trash Wormadam as my entry. Why? Well it was pretty much the first thing that caught my attention when I was looking through the list of Pokemon and their colours. :U Incinerators can be used to get rid of garbage, so I thought a fire type that used trash as a cloak would be both ironic and fun to work with.

For my entry I present to you, mostly trash! :p
Wormadam (Trash Cloak) Stage 1 HP: 100 [R] (Evolves from Burmy)
NO. 413 / Bagworm Pokémon / HT: 1’8” / WT 14.3 lbs.

Ability: Trash Gathering
During your turn (before you attack) you may attach up to 5 Item cards from your hand to this Pokémon. This Pokémon gets +10 HP for each Item card you attach. Discard all cards attached in this way at the end of your opponent’s next turn.

[R][R][C] Self Incineration 90+
This Pokémon does 20 damage to itself. You may discard up to 5 Item cards attached to this Pokémon. This attack does 10 more damage for each Item card you discard.

When evolving, its body takes in surrounding materials. As a result, there are many body variations.
Weakness: [W] x2 / Resistance: [G] -20 / Retreat: [C][C]
So I chose Trash Wormadam as my entry. Why? Well it was pretty much the first thing that caught my attention when I was looking through the list of Pokemon and their colours. :U Incinerators can be used to get rid of garbage, so I thought a fire type that used trash as a cloak would be both ironic and fun to work with.

Crikey! I love this idea :)

This is, in my opinion, a great use of the theme + the subject Pokémon - the concept of Trash Wormadam as an incinerator for garbage is awesome. Nice one!

Vespiquen – Electric – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Combee

Ability: Forage
When you would draw your first card on your turn, you may instead name a card type (Pokémon, Trainer or Energy). Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a card of the chosen type. Put it into your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

[L] Timely Reinforcements
Search your deck for any number of either Combee or Vespiquen, reveal them and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[L] [C] [C] Release the Swarm 10+
This attack does 40 more damage for each Pokémon put onto your Bench or evolved this turn.

Weakness: [F] (x2)
Resistance: [M] (-20)
Retreat: [C]
While foraging if a Vespiquen finds itself in danger, it will release a pheromone calling for its hive to protect it.
NO. 416 Beehive Pokémon HT: 3’11’’ WT: 84.9 lbs.

The "Common Wording Errors" Compilation, Axew (Dragon Vault), Vespiqueen (All of them), Vivillion (XY Base), Trainers Mail (Phantom Forces)

I haven’t publicized many cards that I make, but I am a huge fan of decisions in Pokemon, I think it is one of the strong points that Pokemon has over other card games, and this card captures that pretty well, with the ability and the first attack forcing a decision as a component of them, while the third forces decision making for optimal plays, especially when decisions you make now could affect you heavily in two turns. Additionally you could try two different routes with building a deck around this card. Return Pokémon to your hand effects (Lopunny, Flashfire) or you could opt for heavy evolution lines in order to keep the damage up into the late game.

I really wanted to make an attack like this. It is more of a one-shot version of Emerald Break, with some interesting decision requirements, choosing when to play/evolve to maximize damage, or holding off, and potentially putting yourself a turn behind. I added the rider of evolution as well, so that you could use the attack for more than just an Alpha Strike, since I am less interested in designing cards like that, and they need to have lower energy costs. Otherwise it could end up being too hard to build around. Besides that, I am fairly sure it is a little too strong, I probably wouldn’t put it into a format that has both Forest of Giant Plants and Skyfield, but I didn’t get to play test this card unfortunately, so that part is unbalanced. Thankfully, not too hard to re-balance, a slight change in damage would be all that would be needed, however the difference between 30x and 40x is quite a big one, especially later into the game when you have used up a bunch of resources to get that damage off so it would likely require a higher base damage, though I think that takes away from what I wanted the card to be about, the idea of you bringing your army to the field.

Finally, I had some trouble with wording. I tried doing a couple of things that I haven’t been able to find anything for despite looking over hundreds of Pokemon cards so I can’t even find a precedent for how they would be wording. For Forage, I originally had the "Once per turn" text, but as it is a replacement effect, you can't forage twice a turn, as you only draw one card at the beginning of your turn, and I had to mention on your turn, otherwise people would argue that if you are N'd, or any other effect your opponent would use that forces you to draw, would let you use the ability.
The intent for Release the Swarm is that if you evolved one Pokémon and played one to the bench, the attack would deal 90 damage, but I am not 100% if I worded that correctly as the “or” part of the explanation text implies that you get damage from either “Pokémon who Evolved”, or “Pokémon who were Played”. I originally had and/or as the text for it, but that hadn’t appeared anywhere from what I saw, so I opted not to. In the end, I worry that this will come down to personal preference unless I have missed a card with a similar effect.

Octillery - HP90 - [R]
tumblr_mpuv63ZpJY1s5h198o1_500.gif

[Ability] Pulpo Pikante
If this Pokémon is damaged by an attack containing the words “Bite", “Chomp”, or “Crunch”, the attacking Pokémon is now Burned.

[C] Octo-Out -10
Flip a coin. If heads, return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your hand.

[R][R] Searing Suctions - 30
The defending Pokémon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn. As long as this Octillery is your active Pokémon, this attack does 10 more damage. (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: Grass (-20)
Retreat: [C]

There is less than 19 hours remaining to submit your entry! See this countdown for the exact time of the deadline. Make sure that if you've signed up you have submitted something, otherwise you will be unable to participate in May's Create-A-Card, and noone wants that! :p

If you have submitted your entry, please make sure I've bolded your name on the anticipated entries list in the OP.

Mantine HP 130 Psychic
Basic Pokémon

[P] Kindhearted Gawk
Flip a coin. If heads, the opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused. If tails, the opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

[P][C] Amnesiac Haze 10+
Remove all Special Conditions from your opponent's Active Pokémon. If you do, remove all Special Conditions from 1 of your Benched Pokémon. Does 30 more damage for each Special Condition removed.

[P][P][P][P] Hula I Ke Au Hou
Mantine is Knocked Out. Heal all damage and remove all Special Conditions from the next Pokémon you play from your bench.

Weakness: [D]x2
Resistance: [P]-20
Retreat: [C][C]

It swims elegantly, mindless of Remoraid hitching on to its broad fins. It has a docile nature.
NO. 226 Kite Pokémon HT: 6'11" WT: 485.0 lbs
I really wanted to use Mantine this month because I always though it could quite easily be a Psychic-Type anyway, and honestly I wasn't feeling too inspired by the list of Pokémon, even though I originally came up with this month's theme! I was excited when I noticed Mantine on there, because it's not actually purple, but shhh don't tell GameFreak that. :p

As a Basic Pokémon I was nervous about which direction to take it. It wasn't so bad with Castform last month because it was a very gimmicky card, but Mantine isn't a gimmickmon like Castform is. In the end I settled on going down the route of a bit of a cleric, and after reading around the Internet on manta rays, I found out about hula i ke au hou. Honestly the last part of the card I did was the other two attack names, but when I noticed the dex entry which described its docile nature, and the other dex entries which described Mantine's kindheartedness towards the Remoraid that hitch onto it, through dopey ignorance or otherwise, I though the first attack name was awesome. Amnesiac Haze is a bit more Psychic-Type flavour, since Mantine learns the Psychic-Type move Amnesia in the games, and it learns the Ice-Type move Haze too. :U

I always have to have that one attack that's never been done before, which inevitably gets me wording marks docked, huh? :U I like Hula I Ke Au Hou regardless; it's based off Hawaiian mythology, which states that if humans see manta rays breaching the surface of the water and gliding through the air, it grants them a spiritual rebirth of sorts, and this rebirth is actually called hula i ke au hou. I thought this fit Mantine perfectly, since its part Flying-Type is a direct reference to this practice. This month's theme especially was perfect for a Mantine card though -- Hula I Ke Au Hou is essentially a TCG version of Healing Wish from the video games, which is a Pyschic-Type move. Mantine itself also learns moves like Psybeam in the games, so it becoming a Psychic-Type Pokémon seemed appropriate to me. I oftentimes attribute the Psychic-Type with both healing and mythology-based Pokémon anyway, so this card is a good fit.

Kindhearted Gawk and Amnesiac Haze give Mantine some nice utility besides the centrepiece of the card. Amnesiac Haze is kinda an offensive Full Heal, but it has a two-turn setup with Kindhearted Gawk in most circumstances. I don't think Kindhearted Gawk has much use in itself, but it has nice synergy. ^w^

There is less than 19 hours remaining to submit your entry! See this countdown for the exact time of the deadline. Make sure that if you've signed up you have submitted something, otherwise you will be unable to participate in May's Create-A-Card, and noone wants that! :p

If you have submitted your entry, please make sure I've bolded your name on the anticipated entries list in the OP.
My name hasn't been bolded

Staraptor_CAC.png
I automatically entered this CaC very uninspired. I just didn’t really know what Pokemon to pick, as all of my favorite Pokemon were the color that matched their type. (example: Manectric, Glaceon, Zoroark, Lycanroc-Midday, Lucario has already been done [great job @J.Cole !]). I start scrolling through Pokemon and I begin to think: “what Pokemon do you want to make a different type?” My first thought was a fighting type Staraptor. I played through my first Pokemon game, being Peral, with a Staraptor that had Close Combat on it. I remember it being my most used and destructive mon. I assumed it was a fighting type (7-year old me :p) because of it getting close combat. Obviously, I was wrong, and when I found out, I was devastated.

So, I go to look at his Pokedex color and he’s brown. I freak out. HE CAN BE A FIGHTING TYPE! So I start work on it right away, and this is what I came up with!
Escape Rope 127/160 Primal Clash
Lapras GX
Ariados 6/98 Ancient Origins
Serebii.net for Pokedex & species info
I hope you guys like it!

I'm unsure if I'll be able to get mine posted by noon. It's done, but I was stupid and left it on my computer which I won't have access to until tomorrow afternoon, because I had it in my mind that I had until the end of the day to submit it. I might get lucky and be able to get back in time to submit it, but I'm not counting on it. I take the blame for not paying attention to deadlines. I'll take a point deduction for a late submission if you feel it is nessicary, but I really don't want to be disqualified since I do have it done. Once the semester ends I'll have constant access to my computer so there will be no excuses. I'm really sorry!!

I should really stop posting entries so close to the deadline...
Basic Rotom HP 70 Fire
rotom.gif

NO. 479 Plasma Pokémon HT: 1'00" WT: 0.7 lbs.

Ability: Electronic Possession
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch a Pokémon Tool card attached to this Pokémon with a Pokémon Tool card attached to another of your Rotom.

[R][C][C] Short Circuit 30
Discard as many [R] Energy attached to this Pokémon as you like. Flip a coin for each [R] Energy you discarded in this way. If at least 1 is heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned. If at least 2 are heads, this attack does 30 more damage and the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed. If at least 3 are heads, both Active Pokémon are now Knocked Out.

Weakness: [W] x2 Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
Rotom are built of plasma. They are used to power special motors.
For this entry, I wanted to make a clever use on the new typing I was given. Rotom is an electric type Pokemon turned into a fire type Pokemon. What does it generally mean when electronics are on fire? Short circuiting.
Electronic Possession is based on Rotom consistently possessing electronic devices, from lawnmowers to washing machines. In my card, when they're done with the device, they give it to another Rotom, so they can try possessing it.
Short Circuit is based on short circuiting. At first, it's just powerful enough to burn you, but it can increase in intensity to paralyzing you. If it becomes even more powerful, it kills you, but not without destroying itself in the process.
Aromatisse (Fairy Transfer), Avalugg (Melting Flow), Rotom (Fates Collide), Hydreigon (Dark Burn), Malamar EX (MAXamar), Magnemite (Metal Sound), The "Common Wording Errors" Compilation, Tool Scrapper.

I'm unsure if I'll be able to get mine posted by noon. It's done, but I was stupid and left it on my computer which I won't have access to until tomorrow afternoon, because I had it in my mind that I had until the end of the day to submit it. I might get lucky and be able to get back in time to submit it, but I'm not counting on it. I take the blame for not paying attention to deadlines. I'll take a point deduction for a late submission if you feel it is nessicary, but I really don't want to be disqualified since I do have it done. Once the semester ends I'll have constant access to my computer so there will be no excuses. I'm really sorry!!
Don't worry - if you can get your entry in promptly after the deadline, then that should be fine. Just don't make it a habit. :p

I'd just like to say that there's been a lot of great entries this month! It's hard to pin one that I expect to win, or even three I expect to podium because most cards submitted have been excellent.

Nice work everybody!

latiosentry_zps1ufyvtgv.png

This card went through a lot of phases to get where it is today. I'd detail all of them but its late and i need sleep. A quick few notes as to some of the weirder choices on the card.
-New Delta Symbol:
The delta symbol I decided to use for this card is different to the delta symbols of the past, instead of being smooth and curved this one is sharp. This choice was to make it look more like an Unown rune, so the straight line helped emphasise that.
-New Delta Mechanic:
There's two main reasons for this. Firstly, the way delta is in the actual card game is nothing more than a naming convention. I wanted to flesh out a proper mechanic around the concept of different typed Pokemon and this seemed like a good way to do it. Secondly, it was done for the aesthetics. Enjoy looking at that lovely blank with textured artwork (similar ridge depth to the Alph Lithograph cards from HS block).

Also I tried a new holosheet technique. Let me know what you think about it.

Good luck to all the other entrants!

Back