Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2017 - PokéDex Colours - Results Are Up!

Text-Based Results

Judge: @Luispipe8

1. @Lunarwork
Scizor - {R} - HP120
Stage 1- Evolves from Scyther
NO. 212- Pincer Pokémon- HT. 5'11" WT. 260.1 lbs

Ability- Metalflame Depressor
If this Pokemon were to be damaged by an attack from a {M} or {R} Pokemon,
flip a coin. If heads, damage done to this Pokemon from {M} and {R} Pokemon
is reduced by 30. If tails, this Ability does nothing. (You can't use this Ability more
than once in your turn and you can't prevent more than 90 damage in this
way.

{R}{M}- Flame Crunch - 30
Flip a coin after your attack. If heads, if this Pokemon has more than 2 {R}
Energy cards attached to it, you may search your deck for a Special Energy
card and attach it to one of your benched Pokemon. If tails, discard an Energy card attached
to this Pokémon.

{R}{C}{C} - Lightspeed Flame - 110
You may discard a Special Energy card attached to this Pokemon. If you do, search your opponent's deck for
up to 2 Trainer cards and search your deck for 2 Energy cards. You may switch the effects of those cards and
shuffle your deck afterwards.

Weakness- {W} x2
Resistance- {P} -20
Retreat- {C}
This Pokémon's pincers, which contain steel, can crush any hard object
it gets ahold of into bits.
Ever heard the phrase "don't run with scissors"?

Creativity: 17/20
(I do think the card is sorta creative... but honestly, it's just a bunch of stuff mashed-up together, which makes almost no sense.)
Wording: 0/15
(The Abiity simply makes no sense. You receive damage from opponent's attacks during their turn; but you say you can't use this once during YOUR turn? Besides, to specify one-use abilities it's simply said "once doring your turn". And on top of that, how on earth can you deny more than 30 to even add that last sentence? On the first attack, the "after your attack" is unnecessary. And the last attack is poorly worded and you don't even shuffle your opponent's deck. And the last points you might've had go away from various punctuation and parenthesis errors.)
Believability: 0/15
(As I said above, the Ability literally makes no sense as it stands right now. None at all. And Lightspeed Flame's effect is simply absurd; there's no way for something like that ever happening; specially since you run several copies of a lot of cards, so a lot of loopholes can be abused. Just no.)
Edit Penalty: -2pts

Well... I think I said enough already.

Total: 15/50

2. @thegrovylekid
Illumise HP: 70 [P]
Basic
314.png

No: 314 Firefly Pokémon HT: 2'00" WT: 39.0 lbs
Poké-POWER: Scent Guidance
Once During your Turn, when you put Illumise from your hand onto your Bench, you may search your deck for Volbeat and put it onto your bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[P] Light Show 20+
Does 10 more damage for each Volbeat on your Bench.

Weakness: [R] +20
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
Just your regular Illumise, it seems.

Creativity: 15/20
(Scent Guidance is cool, though nothing we haven't seen before; and Light Show is just a reworded version of almost every Nidoking+Nidoqueen attack :p)
Wording: 13/15
(Why did you capitalize Turn...? And also, the wording on Illumise's attack should read: "Does 20 damage plus 10 more damage for each Volbeat on your bench". )
Believability: 13/15
(No Level or Dex Entry. Thought you learned the lesson. xD)

And indeed, it was actually rather... average? idk, it didn't really stand out.

Total: 41/50

3. @SneaselGenesis
Snorlax – d Delta Species – HP130 – Darkness
Basic Pokémon
Spr_4d_143.png

NO. 143 Sleeping Pokémon HT: 6'11" WT: 1014.1 lbs.

Ability: Ardent Eater

If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, whenever your opponent draws 1 or more cards, draw a card.

[D][D][C][C] Large and In Charge 30+
This attack does 10 more damage for each card in your hand.

Weakness - Fighting (x2)
Resistance - N/A
Retreat Cost - [C][C][C][C]
Will eat anything, even if the food happens to be a little moldy. It never gets an upset stomach.
After running so many VGC tournaments I'm starting to hate this big fella :c

(Ardent Eater is actually interesting, I like it. Large and In Charge is a c/p of Metagross AOR's Machine Gun Stomp, though, so not really that creative.)
Wording: 15/15
(Perfect, moving on.)
(This card is actually not that bad, I mean, the attack is horrendously awful to power up; but the Ability can be clutch while not being that OP. Literal draw effects aren't that busted; the only thing that worries me is like a Hala or Colress from your opponent, whick can get you a LOT of cards. Maybe excluding Supporters would fix the issue.)

Well, it wasn't that bad... now let me stay away from Snorlax until I see 30 of 'em in my MSS :C

Total: 43/50

4. @Tails
Comfey d (Delta Species) HP: 90 [G]
Basic Pokemon

comfey.gif

Ability: Flower Present
Once during your turn, you may heal 20 damage from one of your [G]-type Pokemon

[G] Posy Pickin' 20
Attach 1 Basic Energy from your Discard Pile onto one of your Pokemon in any way you like

[G][G][C] Lei it on the Line 50
If the opposing Pokemon is an EX or GX card; you can have this attack power be doubled. If so, Comfey does 30 damage to itself

Weakness- [R] x2
Resistance-
Retreat Cost- [C]
"Baths prepared with the flowers from its vine have a relaxing effect, so this Pokémon is a hit with many people."
I always wondered who thought a necklace Pokémon would be a nice idea...

Creativity: 13/20
(Interesting effects overall, though we've seen them already in a lot of cards.)
Wording: 7/15
(G-type is unnecessary, just G; in Posy Pickin' is "to" instead of "onto"; and "in any way you like" is specifically for multiple attachments. In the last attack, it should read "If your opponent's Active Pokémon is a Pokémon-GX or a Pokémon-EX" (read Golisopod GRI), and then the attack should follow "you may do 50 more damage. If you do, *this Pokémon* does 30 damage to itself". Finally, accented é's in Pokémon.)
(The card in terms of balance is actually good, it's a glass cannon that doesn't even do that much damage and it's hard to power up, so we're good there. I'm deducting points first because you missed the Dex stats (HT, WT, Dex N°), and then because Delta Species Pokémon kept their original Weakness and Resistance; so Comfey would be weak to Metal and resist Darkness.)

I guess the card wasn't bad, just work on the effects a little bit more.

Total: 35/50

5. @Lord o da rings
Morelull HP: 60 - Psychic
Basic Pokémon
morelull.png

[P] Lavender Spores
Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's active Pokémon is now Asleep. If tails, your opponent's active Pokémon is now Confused.

[P][C] Spore Scatter
This attack does 20 damage to 2 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: None

Pokédex: It scatters spores that flicker and glow. Anyone seeing these lights falls into a deep slumber.
Achoo! Uhm, sorry, my allergies, too many spores in the ai-chooo..!

(Lavender Spores is cool, but that's really all the card has, an auto status.)
Wording: 14/15
(First, Active goes Capitalized. And last, there's nothing else. xD)
Believability: 14/15
(Well, as I said above, Lavender Spores was really all it had, and it's not abusable... The point, though, is for missing Dex Stats.)

I guess you could have put a little bit more work into the card, but in the end it turned out fine overall... but ugh... I really need to work on my allergies... any suggestions?

Total: 42/50

6. @Professor Palutena
lopunny.gif

Lopunny - 90 HP - Fighting
Stage 1 - Evolves from Buneary

Ability: Springy Steps
When this Pokemon attacks, you may choose to attack 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokemon instead of their Active Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness or Resistance for Benched Pokemon).

[F][F] Flop Off 30
You may switch this Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon.

[F][C][C] Charming Cry 80-
Before dealing damage, your opponent may discard as many cards from their hand as they like. For each card they discard, this attack does 10 less damage.

Weakness - [P]
Resistance -
Retreat Cost - 1
Funny to see a Fighting Lopunny, since its Mega is actually Fighting :p

Creativity: 19/20
(Wow, both Springy Steps and Charming Cry are amazingly well thought effects! Flop off is average at best, but the other effects surely makes up for it.)
(One single thing... Accented é's... Charming Cry is a new effect for the era, so that wording would be acceptable.)
(First, two points for missing Dex Info and Data. And lastly, a congratulation for a balanced card. Really, the Ability isn't that abusable and the 80dmge snipe can be reduced, so it's not that bad.)

So, this was a really nice card, Prof! Little details could have awarded you a better score, but it's great nonetheless!

Total: 46/50

7. @ZygardeChronicles
MEGA-Evolves from Charizard-EX-Dark-HP230

When 1 of your Pokémon becomes a Mega Evolution Pokémon, your turn ends.

[D][C] Night Wing Strike 20x Damage
This attack does 20 damage times the amount of [D] Energy attached to all Pokémon.

When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat: [C][C]
Of course, there had to be a Dark-type Char, so predictive... xD

Creativity: 12/20
(The attack is like a mixture between Delphox FCO and Darkrai-EX BKP, which is interesting... but that's about it. Sadly enough, there's not much room for creativity when it comes to Mega Evolutions.)
(Everything's fine, just that the "damage" after the "20x" is not supposed to be there.)
Believability: 15/15
(It looks balanced, I mean, it's a cheaper and more powerful version of Darkrai-EX BKP, but you'd need to Mega Evolve it, which is slower; and the only case the damage cna go astronomically high is in a mirror match or against said Darkrai. It's well balanced, overall.)

Poor M-Charizard needed maybe something else to bring it to a higher score; but that's the problem with Megas. Regardless, everything else was just fine!

8. @rainyman123
Marshadow HP 120 Metal
Basic Pokémon

/Ability/ - Spectral Guard
Prevent 60 damage done to this Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon with any Special Energy attached to them.

[M][M][M] Unyielding Strike 70+
If the Defending Pokémon has any Tool cards attached to it, this attack does 80 more damage and discard all Pokémon Tool cards attached to the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness: Fire x2
Resistance: Psychic -20
Retreat: 2
no fair, Marshadow isn't released yet

(Spectral Guard is interesting, recently this effect was only seen as Assault Vest; and the attack is an interesting version of a Knock Off attack (instead of the current effect). I actually like it.)
Wording: 11/15
(The attack should say "If your opponent’s Active Pokémon has A Pokémon Tool card attached to it" (read Yanmega STS), and then, the Ability should read "damage don to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent’s Pokémon that have any Special Energy attached to them is reduced by 60 (after/before applying Weakness and Resistance)" (see Assault Vest).)
(If it wasn't for that high HP, it would have been perfect. "small" legends like Marshadow usually don't go above 80HP, and add that buffer Ability, you'll have an effective 180HP Pokémon with a relatively strong attack... and that's even before FFB or Assault Vest. Sure, it's difficult to power up, but being so bulky it wouldn't be an issue to power up easily.)

At first glance the card wasn't so bad, it's just that you know something's wrong when you need to hip for 180 damage or more to OHKO something like that. :p

Total: 39/50

9. @John InCENAroar
Kecleon GX - [G] - HP 150

Ability: Adaptability

Whenever you attach a basic energy to this pokemon, in becomes that type in addition to it’s other type(s)

[C][C][C] Feeble Licking: 60 damage; During your next turn, your opponent’s pokemon have a weakness to this pokemon’s type(s) (This cannot result in anything more than a x2 weakness.)

[C][C] Blend-In GX: 60x damage; This attack does 60 damage for each of this Pokemon’s types. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack per game.)

Weakness: None
Retreat: 1
Well, I'm getting dizzy; I don't know if it's the Kecleon or my cat going around like crazy...

Creativity: 17/20
(I gotta give you that, you played with Kekleon pretty nicely. All the effects are rather interesting (although poorly worded).)
Wording: 5/15
(Adaptability should be written "Whenever you attach a Basic Energy to this Pokémon, it becomes the same type as that Energy in addition to its existing types" (Read Eevee SM and Flareon AOR), but you forgot to add a time frame. How long does this effect lasts? Then the first attack is poorly written and again, falls into the Ability's loophole, so it's not rewordable. And then Blend In does it again; besides writing the GX attack clause wrong, "You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.". Finally, accented "é"s.)
Believability: 7/15
(The way you wrote all of that makes it impossible to be developed and a real hassle to make it work properly without a whole rulebook just for this Pokémon.)

The creative thinking wasn't bad; it's just that you mixed an overly complicated mechanic with a poor way of writing to get yourself a chameleon soup.

Total: 29/50

10. @Niteclaw1028
Milotic-GX – [Y] – HP220
Stage 1 – Evolves from Feebas

Ability: Fairy Veil
While this Pokemon is in play, prevent all damage done through effects or Special Conditions to your Pokemon.

[Y][Y][C] Healing Splash 60
If this Pokemon has any Special Energy attached to it, heal 30 damage from each of your Pokemon.

[Y][Y][C] Healing Wave GX 150
Heal 100 damage from each of your Pokemon.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: Dark (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
It lives at the bottom of clear lakes. In times of war, it shows itself, which soothes people's minds and hearts.
Wait, wasn't Milotic a Fairy-type already...? :v

Creativity: 16/20
(The Ability is interesting, to be honest. Healing Splash is alright. Healing Wave is relatively simple.)
(First, the "While this Pokémon is in play" is only used for effects that could directly affect the Pokémon while not in play (for example, to prevent a Korrina from searching for a Golurk AOR). The rest is an acceptable wording. You just forgot to accent the "é" in Pokémon, though.)
Believability: 12/15
(I don't really see an issue with this card from balancing. There are a few card errors, though, like the missing GX Clause and GX Rule; as well as adding a Dex Entry to a GX Pokémon.)

This card was honestly better than I thought it would. :p Nice job, keep it up!

11. @Vom
[Stage 2] Garchomp HP140 [W]
Evolves from Gabite

garchomp.gif

14e49jm.jpg
Hunting Instincts

When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may switch this Pokémon with your Active Pokémon. If you do, switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon, also this Pokémon's attacks do 30 more damage during this turn.
[W][W][F] Dragon Tail 120
If the Defending Pokémon isn't Knocked Out by damage from this attack and your opponent has at least 2 Benched Pokémon, you may shuffle 1 of your opponent's Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your opponent's deck. (You can't choose a Pokémon from your opponent's Discard pile.)

Weakness: [Y]x2
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
The protuberances on its head serve as sensors. It can even detect distant prey.
And again with the shiny Garchomps... what? not shiny? damn, I need to get my eyes checked :v

(I like Hunting Instincts, is a gust effect but with a plus; and Dragon Tail has an effect really akin to that of the games... or sorta. I don't see a Pokémon on the team returning to the PC. xD But it's close enough.)
Wording: 12/15
(First of all, the "his or her" was replaced by "their" in SM. Then, that also should be an "and". Dragon Tail is overall, nicely worded, but that last sentence has me thinking... why on earth would you include that...? And I still am.)
(First, Dex Stats aren't there. Then, in terms of balance, I find it alright, since the attack's damage isn't that big... but the effect is more complicated, but given you literally can't use that as a Win Con, it's not as bad as you'd think at first; although it is strong.)

So, may I suggest you take your Garchomp to a camping trip? IDK, could work on those instincts better. :T

Total: 39/50

12. @TheFlyingPidove
Leavanny / HP: 120 / Lightning
x5IlV45.png
~ Stage 2 | Evolves from Swadloon

542.png

[Ability] Storming Swarm
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may search your deck for a Basic [L] Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[L] String Charge [20]
Switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched [L] Pokémon. Attach up to 2 [L] Energy cards from your discard pile to your new Active Pokémon.

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance: [M] -20
Retreat Cost: [C]
Poor Leavanny, I wonder when it'll be played...

Creativity: 18/20
(I like this card a lot, the Ability is fitting; and the attack is very very good. Nice job!)
(The only mistake would be "Before YOUR attack".)
(The card in terms of Balance is actually good. Even though you could use FoGP to get a T1 Leavanny, the Ability is not abusable, and the attack isn't that worth the setup, might as well use MegaMan instead. You're lacking Dex Entry and Stats, though.)

Honestly I was surprised by how good this card did, TFP. Nicely done!

Total: 45/50

13. @Adam Ryder
Donphan - Metal - HP130
Stage 1 - Evolves from Phanpy

96px-232Donphan.png

Ability: Coat of Arms
Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent’s Basic Pokemon.

[M][M] Bulldoze 40

[F][F][F] Rollout 30+
This attack does 30 more damage for each [C] in your opponent’s active Pokémon’s retreat cost.

Weakness: [W]x2 Resistance: [L]-20 Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

Donphan's favorite attack is curling its body into a ball, then charging at its foe while rolling at high speed. Once it starts rolling, this Pokémon can't stop very easily.
Let's get this rolling! ... ... ... got it? Rolling? No? Okay...

Creativity: 10/20
(Coat of arms is nice, but recycled from Pyroar FLF; Bulldoze is plain vanilla and Rollout is sorta cool, that one is a bit better.)
(You lack the accented é in Pokémon, but that'd be it. )
Believability: 14/15
(The card balance is nice, I mean, it's almost too underpowered given how much setup you'd need and the low damage output. However, you missed the Dex Stats.)

The execution was great, my friend; but creativity might need some more work for next time.

Total: 38/50

14. @garchompcrescent
Mimikyu GX [L] - HP180
Basic
#778 - Disguise Pokémon - 0'08" 1.5lbs
Ability: Mimichu
This Pokémon can use the attacks of all of your Pokémon in play with 'Pichu', 'Pikachu', or 'Raichu' in their name. (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)
[C] [C] Fake thunderbolt: 20+
If Pikachu is on your Bench, this attack does 20 more damage. If Raichu is on your Bench, this attack does 20 more damage. You may discard as many [L] Energy attached to this Pokémon as you like. This attack does 10 more damage for each Energy discarded in this way.
[L] Mimi-charge GX
Search your deck for a number of [L] Energy up to the number of Pokémon you have in play with 'Pichu', Pikachu', or 'Raichu' in their name and attach them to your Mimikyu GX in any way you like. (you can't use more than one GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [F]X2 Resistance: [M]-20 Retreat: [C]
A lonely Pokémon, it conceals its terrifying appearance beneath an old rag so it can get closer to people and other Pokémon. If its neck is broken or its rag torn during an attack, it works through the night to patch it.
So we have Pikachu... and Mimichu! Let's see..

Creativity: 20/20
(Simply marvelous. No other words. Mimichu is really well thought; Fake Thunderbolt is amazing and Mimi-Charge is also very original. Way to add the Pika essence!)
(Would you believe me if I told you your only mistake was to write "one" instead of "1" in the GX Attack clause...?)
(First of all, you added Dex Stats & Info on a GX, which isn't seen at all; and then you didn't put in the GX Rule. But in terms of Balance you're looking pretty good!)

Oh, joly, I was actually looking forward to this card! You would have done way better without that Penalty, such a shame. :c Look out better for next time!

Total: 44/50

15. @double o squirtle
Wormadam (Trash Cloak) Stage 1 HP: 100 [R] (Evolves from Burmy)
NO. 413 / Bagworm Pokémon / HT: 1’8” / WT 14.3 lbs.

Ability: Trash Gathering
During your turn (before you attack) you may attach up to 5 Item cards from your hand to this Pokémon. This Pokémon gets +10 HP for each Item card you attach. Discard all cards attached in this way at the end of your opponent’s next turn.

[R][R][C] Self Incineration 90+
This Pokémon does 20 damage to itself. You may discard up to 5 Item cards attached to this Pokémon. This attack does 10 more damage for each Item card you discard.

When evolving, its body takes in surrounding materials. As a result, there are many body variations.
Weakness: [W] x2 / Resistance: [G] -20 / Retreat: [C][C]
So we keep getting garbage in here, apparently... xD

(Trash Gathering's effect is really interesting, attaching multiple item cards with no added effects from the items themselves; the attack is also cool and I really like the synergy between both. Excellent!)
(The attack should say "Item card discarded in this way" (see Genesect-EX FCO). Then I was gonna say that you forgot the "Once" in the Ability; but given you might actually attach during your whole turn, you found a loophole. But being like that, you'd definitely need some rewording so it'd say "this Pokémon can have up to 5 Items attached to it. At the end of your opponent's turn, if this Pokémon has any Item card attached, discard them." Not exact wording (I believe there's something I'm missing), but something along those lines; so the deduction is there, either way.)
(Balance is actually really nice, the damage output is really balanced and there'll be a point where you simply don't have Items left; apart that you'd have to think between keeping those for the HP or to boost the attacks damage. Good!)

Wowsa, I dodn't expect this card to be this good! You did an amazing job, dos, way to go!

Total: 48/50

16. @Vracken
Vespiquen – Electric – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Combee

Ability: Forage
When you would draw your first card on your turn, you may instead name a card type (Pokémon, Trainer or Energy). Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a card of the chosen type. Put it into your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

[L] Timely Reinforcements
Search your deck for any number of either Combee or Vespiquen, reveal them and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[L] [C] [C] Release the Swarm 10+
This attack does 40 more damage for each Pokémon put onto your Bench or evolved this turn.

Weakness: [F] (x2)
Resistance: [M] (-20)
While foraging if a Vespiquen finds itself in danger, it will release a pheromone calling for its hive to protect it.
NO. 416 Beehive Pokémon HT: 3’11’’ WT: 84.9 lbs.
RUN! AN ELECTRICAL QUEEN BEE!! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE...!!!

(I'm blown by this card, to be honest. Forage is an amazing effect; Reinforcements is rather cool; and Release the Swarm is really good as well, something not seen so far! Amazing!)
(Nothing to see here...)
Believability: 5/15
(The Ability is balanced, if you ask me. Sure, you get to control your topdeck; but not entirely, since you'll still get what's closer to the top; and being a Stage 1 also bumps down it's usage. On the other hand, the first attack is alright. But one single card made this Vespiquen absolutely overpowered in Expanded so, that alongside FoGP, you can hit for, literally, INFINITE damage... Jumpluff DEX. Need I say more?)

To be honest, I was surprised this card was about to get a 50/50... until I remembered Jumpluff and it all pummeled down. xD I'd have a deeper look into the formats if I were you. :p

Total: 40/50

17. @Little Cherrim
Octillery - HP90 - [R]

[Ability] Pulpo Pikante
If this Pokémon is damaged by an attack containing the words “Bite", “Chomp”, or “Crunch”, the attacking Pokémon is now Burned.

[C] Octo-Out -10
Flip a coin. If heads, return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your hand.

[R][R] Searing Suctions - 30
The defending Pokémon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn. As long as this Octillery is your active Pokémon, this attack does 10 more damage. (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: Grass (-20)
If a fish evolving into an octopus wasn't weird enough, now we get it blazing red... oh, my...

Creativity: 18/20
(A really solid score. Pulpo Pikante might be one of the most original effect's I've seen in a while; and Searing Suctions is also really interesting. Octo Out is average at best, but the other ones compensate it. Nice!)
("Defending" "Active" and "Attacking" should go Capitalized. Also, the attack should say "if this Pokémon" instead.)
Believability: 7/15
(Uhm, dude... Where's the Stage? xD You have a literally unplayable Pokémon that doesn't even evolve from anyone...? So, EVEN IF you could play thins, the card's balance is on point, the Ability can't be over used, the first attack doesn't have a direct benefit and the second one is actually not as strong. But apart from that, you missed the Dex Stats and Entry.)

Lesson we learned today? Make sure you can actually play your spicy octopus xD

Total: 36/50

18. @Celever
Mantine HP 130 Psychic
Basic Pokémon

[P] Kindhearted Gawk
Flip a coin. If heads, the opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused. If tails, the opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

[P][C] Amnesiac Haze 10+
Remove all Special Conditions from your opponent's Active Pokémon. If you do, remove all Special Conditions from 1 of your Benched Pokémon. Does 30 more damage for each Special Condition removed.

[P][P][P][P] Hula I Ke Au Hou
Mantine is Knocked Out. Heal all damage and remove all Special Conditions from the next Pokémon you play from your bench.

Weakness: [D]x2
Resistance: [P]-20
Retreat: [C][C]

It swims elegantly, mindless of Remoraid hitching on to its broad fins. It has a docile nature.
NO. 226 Kite Pokémon HT: 6'11" WT: 485.0 lbs
If only IRL rays were so chill as this one :v

Creativity: 12/20
(Kindhearted Gawk is alright, we've seen stuff like that before... and the other attacks are SOMEWHAT original, but there's one MAJOR issue I'll discuss in Believability.)
(First, in the first attack, it should say "your opponent's" in both instances. Also, "this attack does 30 more..." in the second one. "This Pokémon" instead of "Mantine" in the other one. Lastly, the noun "Bench" goes capitalizeed.)
Believability: 3/15
(I'm not sure how familiar you are with the TCG, Cel, but... Special Conditions can only affect the Active Pokémon. Literally. No such thing exists that Poisons or Burns a Benched Pokémon. And as a rule, all effects INCLUDING Special Conditions are removed once te Pokémon leaves the Active spot in any way. So you made your last 2 attacks with, basically, no added effect or purpose whatsoever. Balancing can't even be judged properly since you're inventing mechanics that aren't even included in the card. :p)

Well, it seems that your little ignorance when it comes to game mechanics hit you hard. Maybe some more research would be really handy.

Total: 26/50

19. @NinjaPenguin
Basic Rotom HP 70 Fire
rotom.gif

NO. 479 Plasma Pokémon HT: 1'00" WT: 0.7 lbs.

Ability: Electronic Possession
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch a Pokémon Tool card attached to this Pokémon with a Pokémon Tool card attached to another of your Rotom.

[R][C][C] Short Circuit 30
Discard as many [R] Energy attached to this Pokémon as you like. Flip a coin for each [R] Energy you discarded in this way. If at least 1 is heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned. If at least 2 are heads, this attack does 30 more damage and the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed. If at least 3 are heads, both Active Pokémon are now Knocked Out.

Weakness: [W] x2 Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
Rotom are built of plasma. They are used to power special motors.
Fitting, I'd say, given how plasma is actually really hot :p

Creativity: 19/20
(Oh, I love the YOLO in that attack! xD It's actually really really nice; and that Ability is good enough as well. Good job!)
(Nothing to see here.)
(The Ability can't be abused to a broken extent; and the attackis a high-cost, high-risk and moderate-high reward if you do your stuff properly and are lucky enough, but you can't really abuse the attack that much. Perfectly done!)

So it appears we saved the best for last... might as well cook dessert now, could ya?

Total: 49/50

3rd Place: Professor Palutena’s punching Lopunny, with 46/50 points.
2nd Place: double o squirtle’s burning Wormadam, with 48/50 points.
1st Place: NinjaPenguin’s Fiery Rotom, with 49/50 points.

So we come to a close! I was really surprised by the creativity from a lot of you this month. Hope to see this as a trend! So, without anything else to say, I'll see you guys in June!

Last edited:
Special conditions don't stay active on the bench? D:

GDI TCG stop having perfectly logical yet inconvenient rules. :(

Woohoo!

Thanks so much @Jabberwock for the kind words. Really appreciate the feedback too - I'll take it on board and won't make the same mistakes again.

Well done to everyone; some amazing entries. I swear we should all get together and pitch a set to TPCi!

(Why did you capitalize Turn...?)
Dock me an extra point here, the wording on Illumise's attack should read:

"Does 20 damage plus 10 more damage for each Volbeat on your bench".

Overall, I again think I could have done better. See you all later this month for results.

Served ~Luis

Last edited by a moderator:
Super stuff, congrats to the winners!

Feedback taken on board and we'll be back in some future comp. Like maybe this very month :eek: I too have been holding out on this entry in case of silly errors here (of which we clearly made a couple lolwhoops).

- Ability should only work for basic Energy. It’s ridiculous to be able to attach a Rainbow and gain immunity to all types. [-2 points]

Funny you say that, because that was exactly my plan. In an earlier draft the attack was even called Rainbow Beatdown in a not-so-subtle attempt to say "psst; use this with a rainbow energy". And the attack, if I had my way, would have covered all types; I barely managed to squeeze poison in, though.

But the three types are good, and it still works just with basic energy, anyway.

Eyy congrats y'all! Those cards look awesome! Now ignore this inconsequential post

Ability- Metalflame Depressor
If this Pokemon were to be damaged by an attack from a {M} or {R} Pokemon,
flip a coin. If heads, damage done to this Pokemon from {M} and {R} Pokemon
is reduced by 30. If tails, this Ability does nothing. (You can't use this Ability more
than once in your turn and you can't prevent more than 90 damage in this
way.

I think I puzzled out a way this could block 90 damage. If Scizor is attacked by an Excadrill PRC (Omega Barrage), the first hit will get a 30 reduction. The second hit will trigger a reduction, but the first reduction may still exist (since the damage reduction doesn't end after the attack as written). Therefore you get -30 + -60, overall preventing 90 damage

Congrats to those who one but a bit of defense on my part. I designed the card to look like some of those older cards where the holo sheets did weird things and based the energy on some card I saw where the holo shined through the energy symbol. The card itself was an attempt to make it more TCG like but this is part of the reason why I want all the Pokemon types to be in the game because it makes it hard to do interesting things like this and while my Pidgeot are bred for battle, they are fun to be around and don't try to rip faces off.

Congrats to the winners!

I'll take the feedback I got towards my future cards. Araquanid is more type-hatey than my Luxray not needing a [W] energy and on a stage 1, but I don't want to get defensive

I'll try to do some responding to those of you with comments on your scores––if you'd like me to clarify something more in-depth, feel free to tag me or shoot me a PM. :)

Funny you say that, because that was exactly my plan. In an earlier draft the attack was even called Rainbow Beatdown in a not-so-subtle attempt to say "psst; use this with a rainbow energy". And the attack, if I had my way, would have covered all types; I barely managed to squeeze poison in, though.

But the three types are good, and it still works just with basic energy, anyway.
I get your thought process, but the fact of the matter is that's broken to have a 50% chance of full immunity to literally everything. You can even switch or retreat between Pheromosa until you get a heads, thereby all but eliminating that 50% chance! :p

Congrats to those who one but a bit of defense on my part. I designed the card to look like some of those older cards where the holo sheets did weird things and based the energy on some card I saw where the holo shined through the energy symbol. The card itself was an attempt to make it more TCG like but this is part of the reason why I want all the Pokemon types to be in the game because it makes it hard to do interesting things like this and while my Pidgeot are bred for battle, they are fun to be around and don't try to rip faces off.
I'm not against using aesthetics of older cards, but it's not as simple to incorporate them as just tossing a holosheet on a card and snipping out bits of the Pokémon. If you're dead-set on using older aesthetics with BWXY blanks (which I don't recommend, btw, and I'll explain why below), consistency is important. If you're overlaying holosheets on top of Energy symbols, you might as well go the whole mile and overlay them on top of the entire card––blank, text, and all. It's odd for the text to stand out so brightly when the Energy symbols have been darkened by a holosheet, and the blank border sticks out as well.

HGSS did something aesthetically that I suspect might be the reason for Blui's love of them––for a pair of new games that revisited an old world, they took a step back from the modernistic style and used a more paint-like feel for the blanks and art. That was around the time when painted art really shone, and you can even see a few mock FA cards made by Blui for the era, in the characteristic painted style. When BW came rolling in, it introduced a region based on Manhattan, and with it came the return of modernistic blanks in full force. I remember seeing BW-style cards for the first time and being like "Yo this actually looks really cool––all futuristic and stuff with a sweet upper bar and revamped lower text space". It made 3D artwork the norm, with the hiring of the infamous 5ban Graphics as a regular illustrator. Striking 3D models graced every FA and non-FA EX, in dynamic positions accentuated by the etching treatment and linear holofoil that didn't detract from the art itself. BW and HGSS are very different eras, and they are a huge challenge to mix effectively.

I'll take the feedback I got towards my future cards. Araquanid is more type-hatey than my Luxray not needing a [W] energy and on a stage 1, but I don't want to get defensive
I'll be the first to admit I'm a tad old-fashioned with effects, and I judged your card as the BWXY card it is. SM1 introduced several concepts that I never believed would ever be put on cards, even in the relatively revolutionary BWXY era. Never worry about getting defensive, though; I make as many mistakes as anyone else. :p

I get your thought process, but the fact of the matter is that's broken to have a 50% chance of full immunity to literally everything. You can even switch or retreat between Pheromosa until you get a heads, thereby all but eliminating that 50% chance! :p

Now in that, I didn't think.

I should add a "once per turn" clause. Or just take out the coin and reduce damage instead of immunity. It would probably be more balanced for multiple energies.

Oops.. I normally don't add the Pokédex entry or stats into my fakes which is why it wasn't in my card either. I'll make sure to do it this month though!
Also, great job everyone! Let's try to make the cards for this month even better! ^-^

I also feel I’ve mentioned this at some point before, but your middle-text (the Ability and attack) are much too spaced out, beginning at the very top of the allotted space and reaching down to the very bottom, which is something never done; there’s always a little bit of space between the ‘dex bar and the first attack. Don’t be afraid to squish the effect text a bit to make it all fit. :p
Can you clarify what you mean by this @bbninjas ?

Can you clarify what you mean by this @bbninjas ?
On existing cards, the "Ability: Ability Name" part of the middle text never begins at the very top of the lower half of the blank. There's always significant room between the bottom of the Pokédex bar and where the text begins. If there's too much text to fit, just squish it down a bit by changing the font size and spacing width––don't move the Ability/first attack any higher than they need to be. :)

Back