TCG Fakes bbninjas' Fakes - Knightly Nights Image-Based Set - 73.0% Complete!

Your illustrator credit should go to whoever drew the image. Adding a foil or texturing it is not enough to give yourself full credit.

Tracing something doesn't mean you drew it. You should still credit the original artist.

Credit has been fixed up, then! Does anyone else have further thoughts regarding how I could improve my FAs in the future, especially regarding the style?

Jeez louise, you're getting good at these. I love the looks of Exeggcutor and the effects seem like they'd be pretty fun. Well done!

beedrill_spirit_link_nki_97_by_bbninjas-dapqdch.png
king_s_rock_nki_105_by_bbninjas-dapqf0z.png
nidoqueen_nki_43_by_bbninjas-dapqduc.png
gardevoir_spirit_link_nki_103_by_bbninjas-dapqet6.png

This is slowly happening! I've had the Spirit Link art sitting around for a while now; it's more just finding time to make the cards. I'm pretty happy with how Gardevoir turned out. Neko took a beautiful King's Rock art a while back, which coincidentally is perfect for my card! I'm not 100% happy with the balancing for King's Rock, but oh well.

Placements and spoilers by me!
Super resources by the amazing @aschefield101
Spirit Link art by @BigfootAUS
King's Rock art by @Nekoban Ryo
Nidoqueen art by salanchu

You may want to double check the picture you're going to use.

Unless "nidoqueen" over there is some kind of statement on the fluidity of gender, in which case, carry on, I guess?

You may want to double check the picture you're going to use.

Unless "nidoqueen" over there is some kind of statement on the fluidity of gender, in which case, carry on, I guess?

Whelp, what a mistake! It just shows that I don't care for the Nido lines at all. xD

I'll go see if I can find a proper Nidoqueen. n.n;

bisharp_ex_fa_nki_120_by_bbninjas-daqhu64.png

Say hello to my fourth FA EX, Bisharp! I love the simple colour scheme on this one, with the blacks, whites, maroons and golds. I had a pretty good idea on what I wanted the background to be like - gleaming lights that create contrast - and I reckon I achieved that pretty well. This card was designed to work with the Weaponary March Escavalier that I created a while back.

Stunning holosheets by @Nekoban Ryo
Gardevoir base art by @Xous
Tracings + Texturing + Art Manipulation + Holosheeting by me!

EDIT: Fixed up multiple errors and darkened the holosheet to make everything more dynamic!

Last edited:
ninetales_ex_fa_nki_116_by_bbninjas-darhbst.png

I find it amusing how the art is always the most time consuming part of FA EXs. For this one, I ended up rendering the XY Ninetales model in Unity and tracing that. I think it was pretty successful, though I don't think I've reached the dynamic poses that you find on actual Full Arts just yet. For the background, I tried some fancy brushes and gradient work, which I'm also very happy with it. It's pity that you can't see it too well with the textures and stuff. On that note, should the holosheets perhaps be toned down a bit?

You may notice that there's a bit of anti-synergy going. The primary purpose for it is for balance. You have to decide whether to Doom Decree for a potential KO, or keep those valuable Energy attached for Spirit Curse. It could make a fun rogue deck, with Trick Coin and Inferno Fandango Emboar, but there's a few ways around for your opponent. Poison is one and Garbodor both get around Spirit Curse, and Abilities that block effects gets around Doom Decree. Eitherway, I think it's a fun little card.

Art + Texturing + Art Manipulation + Holosheeting by me!

EDIT: It got red text now! D:

Last edited:
ninetales_ex_fa_nki_116_by_bbninjas-darhbst.png

I find it amusing how the art is always the most time consuming part of FA EXs. For this one, I ended up rendering the XY Ninetales model in Unity and tracing that. I think it was pretty successful, though I don't think I've reached the dynamic poses that you find on actual Full Arts just yet. For the background, I tried some fancy brushes and gradient work, which I'm also very happy with it. It's pity that you can't see it too well with the textures and stuff. On that note, should the holosheets perhaps be toned down a bit?

You may notice that there's a bit of anti-synergy going. The primary purpose for it is for balance. You have to decide whether to Doom Decree for a potential KO, or keep those valuable Energy attached for Spirit Curse. It could make a fun rogue deck, with Trick Coin and Inferno Fandango Emboar, but there's a few ways around for your opponent. Poison is one and Garbodor both get around Spirit Curse, and Abilities that block effects gets around Doom Decree. Eitherway, I think it's a fun little card.

Art + Texturing + Art Manipulation + Holosheeting by me!

EDIT: It got red text now! D:
as you said, there is anti-synergy. Gothitelle from Dragon Exalted also had Doom Decree, and judging by what it did I think it's kind of unbalanced to the Ninetales player to have to discard two, maybe 1 instead as it cost three Energy and a low chance to even do the effect.

Other than that I love the design! The background looks especially cool!

as you said, there is anti-synergy. Gothitelle from Dragon Exalted also had Doom Decree, and judging by what it did I think it's kind of unbalanced to the Ninetales player to have to discard two, maybe 1 instead as it cost three Energy and a low chance to even do the effect.

Other than that I love the design! The background looks especially cool!
The thing is about Gothitelle is that it is an Evolution, where as Ninetales is not. As such, it's much easier to get Ninetales in play. The attack is worded so that you discard Energy only if you flip two coins, which I think works nicely to balance such a powerful effect. Otherwise, glad you like!

How exactly do you work with the ripped models? Jabber wanted me to help him with some renders a while ago, and I had to decline since I didn't know how to do it; it would also help me a bit; there are some pokemon I could do but don't really want to go to all the trouble of drawing myself.

Do you require Unity? can you use other programs? Do they include rigging and shaders?

I used Unity for this one. Pokemon model zips should come with a "premade" model, which you can just drag into your Unity scene to be all textured. The models also come with rigging, which you can manipulate in Unity to create the poses you want. In addition, Unity shades everything and provides an adjustable light. It's great for tracing poses. The drawback with Unity is that the models look cheap and unlike the quality 5Ban Graphics puts out, so I'd advise against using the renders without any edits.

staryu_nki_30_by_bbninjas-darr6o1.png
terrakion_nki_62_by_bbninjas-darr6yo.png
fennekin_nki_19_by_bbninjas-darr79z.png
absol_nki_66_by_bbninjas-darr7gp.png
Here's some more cards from the set! I finally found/made four more art pieces to create a proper update. :p

Of course, I had to include the Swords of Justice in a set named "Knightly Nights"! You'll probably notice as I make the other two that they have a bit of a theme going through the design. Some of you folk may also remember Disaster Shock from my old text-based CAC entry, Keeper's Smeargle, which I later made into an image-based fake. I've always liked the effect, and had to put it on one of the cards in this set! Fennekin is a standard filler with beautiful art.

I decided I wanted to try make something simple yet acceptable in Unity again, a bit like my Dragonair GL. I found the Staryu model for SSB4, and decided to make some art from that! I think it turned out nicely, with the folks in the PB Faking Community Skype Room commenting on how it looks retro! That wasn't really the style I was going for (rather, more modern), but hey, it still looks good. ^.^

Staryu art by me!
Terrakion art by Salanchu
Fennekin art by Unu-Nunium
Absol art by ittybittyllamatitty

I used Unity for this one. Pokemon model zips should come with a "premade" model, which you can just drag into your Unity scene to be all textured. The models also come with rigging, which you can manipulate in Unity to create the poses you want. In addition, Unity shades everything and provides an adjustable light. It's great for tracing poses. The drawback with Unity is that the models look cheap and unlike the quality 5Ban Graphics puts out, so I'd advise against using the renders without any edits.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that in my case.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

meowth_at_by_bbninjas-das5r3w.png

I've been spending the last few days shedding blood and tears in attempt to conquer the 3D modelling software, Blender! I eventually managed to spit a rendered Meowth model, and decided it'd be a waste not to use it. I'm pretty happy with how this card turned out! I've always wanted to make an Ancient Trait, so the render was fitting. The inspiration for the card design came from Meowth's obsession with shiny objects!

3D art by me and background is free stock art!

I'm not normally the type to make text-based fakes, but I suppose when you get inspired and don't have access to your image-editing software*, text-based works fine! A cyclone looming for Australia's north-eastern coast, and Australia just being disaster-prone in general, is my main inspiration.

*Oh, yeah, did I not mention that my computer-with-fancy-image-editing-programs died? Well, it died.

Tornadus-GX / HP 180 / Colorless
Basic

tornadus.gif

[Ability] Severe Storm
If Thundurus-GX is in play, this Pokémon's attacks do [W] type damage to the Defending Pokémon in addition to its existing types.

[C][C][C] Cyclonic Gales [80]
Each player flips a coin for each of his or her Pokémon. If that coin flip is tails, that player moves an Energy attached to 1 of their Pokémon to that Pokémon. Then, discard any Stadium cards in play.

[C][C][C] Storm Surge GX
This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon for each Prize Card your opponent has taken. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat Cost: [C]
When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Thundurus-GX / HP 180 / Lightning
Basic

thundurus.gif

[Ability] Flash Flooding
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench, flip 3 coins. For each tails, discard 2 cards from your hand. Then for each heads, put a card from your discard pile into your hand.

[L][L][C] Freak Storm [70]
Flip a coin for each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. If that coin flip is heads, this attack does 20 damage to that Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) If Landorus-GX is in play, treat any coin flips for this attack as heads.

[L][C] Tornado Funnel GX
Choose 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. Your opponent puts that Pokémon and all cards attached to it into their hand. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance: [M] -20
Retreat Cost: [C]
Landorus-GX / HP 190 / Fighting
Basic

landorus.gif

[C] Roaring Tsunami [60]
If Tornadus-GX is in play, this attack's base damage is 120. If the Shockwave Hammer attack wasn't used during either player's last turn, this attack does nothing.

[F][F][C] Shockwave Hammer [90]
Discard any Stadium cards in play.

[F][F][C][C] Arena Trap GX [70]
Your opponent can't play any Pokémon from their hand to their Bench during their next turn. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance: [L] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

Each of these designs relate to a fellow Forces of Nature, although each in different ways. I've experimented with some more crazier effects, such as moving Energy with Tornadus-GX's Cyclonic Gales, Thundurus-GX's Flash Flooding, and Arena Trap's Pokemon lock found on Landorus-GX. I didn't really bother with synergy this time round, beyond synergy with other Forces of Nature, as really, does Mother Nature really care about synergy? :p

I hope you enjoy! Maybe one day I'll get around to turning these into image-based fakes. :D

Last edited:
Nice! Just one thing:

[F][F][C] Shockwave Hammer [90]
Flip a coin for each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. If that coin flip is heads, this attack does 20 damage to that Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) If Landorus-GX is in play, treat any coin flips for this attack as heads.

I love how Landorus gives himself automatic heads. :U

Back