News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

Higliphics

Competitive TCG Player
I want that Exeggutor! I also can't wait to see what people do with that Dragonite. I might try to incorporate it into a deck myself. :D

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Can anyone tell me if we will be getting a Holo every pack? Like the Japanese set?

There are non-holo rares shown in the leaked video from before, so it's pretty safe to say that the English set will have the same rarity as usual.

Also, it makes sense for the Japanese set to have a holo in each pack, since that's how Base Set was when it was released there, but the English Base Set already had the whole "1/3 packs is a holo" ratio going on.

Chiramijumaru

that's my name
Everyone is excited for the new trainers and complaining about the terrible EXs in this set... And I'm just like "Woo! I can make a M Charizard Y list again!"

ZygardeChronicles

PMD5 when
Oh... Nice Charizard. I wasn't expecting a pre-release for Evolutions. I really like what they chose for the promos. Not as good as FCO pre-release promos, though.

Higliphics

Competitive TCG Player
I am so excited for this. I cannot wait until the prerelease. This will be one of the prereleases that I will actually collect all of the promos for.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I am so excited for this. I cannot wait until the prerelease. This will be one of the prereleases that I will actually collect all of the promos for.

Hmm, ironically this is one prerelease I'm not all that excited about and honestly I'm considering skipping out on this one altogether. I'm actually glad for what it's worth that they aren't actual numbered promos.

Nintenfreak

Aspiring Trainer
Agh, this is annoying. I was hoping we'd get cards that would fill out evolutionary lines, like Gengar and Rapidash and Weezing and so on. This set just gets worse and worse. Maybe we'll get a reprint set with more variety sometime.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Aawe... They missed an opportunity to do a throw back and put "Prerelease" on the cards instead of the set logo.

RedT

Aspiring Trainer
Wish the Machamp had the first edition stamp

So many Machamp have 1st edition stamps that I'd rather have one without it
Or better yet, no Machamp at all
Man did they screw up back then.
"Let's keep printing this starter deck forever and keep the 1st edition stamp for 1,000,000,000 prints" because everyone loves worthless cards!
In Norway, we have a second-hand selling website kind of like Craigslist and it's always full of posts like "Pokémon TCG with 1st edition!" and I'm like "bet it's a single Machamp fake 1st edition and nothing else" and I'm almost always right.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I very much like the fact that these aren't Black Star Promos, and I hope this is how they handle the prerelease promos from now on. (...Until TPCi changes their minds again and doesn't do this whole pre-constructed deck thing for prereleases.) Black Star Promos as a prerelease promo were fine because if you went to the prerelease, you got the exclusive Promo. The end. But then TPCi decided to make 4 different promos for both Fates Collide and Steam Siege, yet you still only got one Promo. Yeah, no, that's totally cool! How much are people trying to sell each of those Promos for again? Oh, a minimum of $10 each? I'm sure glad I'm missing six of them. >:|

This might not be the same for every collector, but to me, if the prerelease promo is just an exact reprint from the set but with a stamp on it, I'm far more comfortable with only getting one. It feels more like "this is the bonus card that I happened to get for attending the prerelease," as opposed to a Black Star Promo, which I treat as a set that I'm actually attempting to collect, but I'm going to be missing three expensive Promos every time there's a new set. (Before reading the article, my initial reaction was, "Oh, good. I'm glad there's a Charizard that I won't pull. That won't cost a small fortune at all!") I'd honestly be happy with any of these choices.

It's really only a slight difference, if you think about it, but I'm far more comfortable with this change. :)

Last edited:

prophecy250

Aspiring Trainer
if they really wanted to go with the nostalgia, then they could have done the 4 theme deck holos: gyarados, mewtwo, ninetails and hitmonchan

theBeeeN

Aspiring Trainer
The font is strange. Why such a thin font for the HP and an oversized font for ability? I thought the japanese set looked really great.

Gee Golly, I wish we had bulba/squirt/abra and their evolutions...

Bilingual cards look awesome, I hope that turns into a thing!

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Wow, I was debating on collecting the set or just saving my money...and Ithink I'm gonna collect the set lol. These Staff versions have to be worth some cash though geez.

chella182

Aspiring Trainer
So I don't know how to feel about them not being Black Star promos. When it was first announced that there would be 4 promos per set, I was a bit irritated as a collector. As someone pointed out, they don't come cheap (especially the likes of Volcanion and Yanmega), so it was a bit annoying having 3 extra things to collect. However, NOT having them as promos kind of makes them feel a little less special somehow. Although I'm sure they'll still cost a bit to buy in individually, particularly the Charizard *rolls eyes*

Either way, I'll still want them all, but with them not having their own numbers I'll probably not be as gung ho to get them all at once.

As for which I want to get in my deck(s) at the pre-release (I'll be playing at two this time hopefully), I'd like Mewtwo and Gyarados, 'cause they're Basic and Stage 1 so they're easier to get out and actually make something of a working deck out of.