Discussion What Deck do you Plan Running for the 2017 Rotation?

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
I'm just curious what you guys plan to run :)

Personally I'll be running M Rayquaza-EX... once Shaymin-EX no longer costs $70 a piece. At the moment I'm running Volcanion-EX, with Volcanion and a tech Entei and Flareon-EX. What are you all running?

Frosstoise

Pokemon Connoisseur
I'm all about M Scizor EX. I was super hype on M Gardevoir PRC and Rainbow Road, but so is everyone else, and M Scizor is a solid meta play at this point, not to mention a pretty solid all around choice. If Volcanion builds start to pop up a lot, I might fire up a Rainbow Road, since it's pretty much auto loss for scizor.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
- This thread has been moved from TCG News & Discussion to Competitive Play because it discusses strategies and popular decks for the new season -

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
I just might play what I call a Lightning-based Stage1Box. It looks ok on paper, and I can't wait to try it out. The deck consists of: Zoroark, Raichu, Vespiquen, Zebstrika, and Jolteon (AOR).

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
I'm all about M Scizor EX. I was super hype on M Gardevoir PRC and Rainbow Road, but so is everyone else, and M Scizor is a solid meta play at this point, not to mention a pretty solid all around choice. If Volcanion builds start to pop up a lot, I might fire up a Rainbow Road, since it's pretty much auto loss for scizor.
I personally think that Gardevoir stands little chance in this format. Scizor literally crushes (pun intended) the deck to smithereens.

NightOfYuyuko

Next station: Brick City!
I'm planning on running a primal Kyogre EX Waterbox deck.

it has done quite well in testing so far and i can't wait to try it in a tournament

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
I'm planning on running a primal Kyogre EX Waterbox deck.

it has done quite well in testing so far and i can't wait to try it in a tournament
I love PK. My one complaint is that it seems like one of those decks where it's nearly impossible to get the perfect build.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I'll be running three different decks. Yeah that may be time consuming, but the new rotation asks us to to try different stuff. I would recommend other players as well not to get stuck trying to make one deck work.

When M-Beedrill EX is finally released I will try to pair it with M-Sceptile EX, Yanmega BREAK or Volcarona (Solar Birth) I have high hopes for Beedrill and can't wait to play it.

I'm also giving my Primal Groudon deck another shot. I'm currently trying a Ninja Boy version with Meloetta from BREAKthrough. I don't have a clue on how competitive it will be exactly, but I implented my favourite Pokémon so I'm going to have fun either way :)

Gardevoir X Gardevoir + Giratina EX might become my main deck. There are few counters against this deck that I know of. Sure, M-Scizor EX is troublesome. On the other hand you only have to K.O. Garbodor and Renegade Pulse prevents mayor damage for the rest of the game. A stream of Shining Wind can deal with Metal Pokémon as well. The fact is Mega Scizor took many decks by surprise, but you have to adjust strategies and inplant counters in your deck lists.

If none of this works out... I also have a Yveltal EX & Darkrai EX deck ready to be played.

Yumikora

cd / Back to the roots
I'm trying out some different decks, too!

Primal Groudon/Carbink/Wobuffet is my favorit at the moment because:
- It can defeat M-Rayquaza (one shots m-ray + discards stadion)
- It can defeat M-Mewtwo (hard matchup, but they can't lysandre out your primal so you decide when it will go active, and if it goes active it destroyes at least one mega)
- It can defeat Darkrai-EX/Giratina-EX/Garbodor
- It has pretty good matchup against any two hit K.O Pokemon-EX/Mega Pokemon-EX
- It is just funny to turn around games from 6:1 to 0:1 -> Best comeback deck ever in my opinion.
biggest downside is: grass weakness and it does not stand a (good) chance against rainbow road.

I'm testing alot of different decks online like: Ho-Oh-EX/Vileplume, Primal Kyogre, Mega Sceptile, Mega Rayquaza
Since Ninja Boy isn't available yet (Online) I can't test all deck ideas I would like to (Like a Vileplume/Lock Tool Box with Jolteon, Regice, Glaceon or something like that).

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
For standard, I am currently testing:
  • Mega Ray with colors
  • Mega mewtwo (garbodor, fairy, metal, dark)
  • Mega scizor/garbodor
  • Volcanion toolbox
  • Dark toolboxes
  • Carbink break toolboxes
  • Fairy toolboxes
Haven't come to a conclusion.

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
For the time being, I'm sticking with M Rayquaza-EX / Raichu / Zoroark. It's treated me very well, and the only match up that I constantly have troubles with is Giratina-EX, which is only due to the stadium battle (since I run 6 basic energy and 3 Mega Turbo, I don't 100% need to play DCE). But I've also made a simple 1-1 Ninetales tech from Primal Clash. I may try Rainbow Road or Xerneas BREAK / Giratina-EX however. As it appears to have a decent match-up against everything not names Scizor.

Also good luck with getting the Shaymin-EX you need! I really wish they'd come back down some...

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I'm pretty sure I'm running Pidgeot EX when Evolutions release. I have 5 decks in mind for it but if they don't work, I also have a Golduck BREAK toolbox deck with a bunch of my favorite Pokemon in it.

gman21

If only my avatar was real
I bet that I am the only M-Steelix EX player on this entire site. What have I done with my life.

21times

Aspiring Trainer
I have a Vespiquen Glaceon Regice deck that I've won 72% (23 out of 32) of my matches in the new rotation. I am also using a M Mewtwo Garbodor deck that has won 70% (28 out of 40) . My hottest deck, though, is Rainbow Road. It's won only 2/3 of its matches (26 out of 39), but it's 13-4 in its last 17 (77%).

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
I'm pretty sure I'm running Pidgeot EX when Evolutions release. I have 5 decks in mind for it but if they don't work, I also have a Golduck BREAK toolbox deck with a bunch of my favorite Pokemon in it.
Pidgeot/Golbat/Absol could be really fun. FFB allows it to 2HKO all non-FFB EX Pokemon, and Golbat is a great support card. I think Faded Town would make this deck somewhat of a contender. I will say though, Pidgeot, like Primal Kyogre, can be a deck that is almost impossible to play consistently well with. The list has to be *just* right. Good luck with Pidgeot and hope it does well for you!
Edit: Please feel free to DM me your Pidgeot ideas, I'd love to see them. :)

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Pidgeot/Golbat/Absol could be really fun. FFB allows it to 2HKO all non-FFB EX Pokemon, and Golbat is a great support card. I think Faded Town would make this deck somewhat of a contender. I will say though, Pidgeot, like Primal Kyogre, can be a deck that is almost impossible to play consistently well with. The list has to be *just* right. Good luck with Pidgeot and hope it does well for you!
Edit: Please feel free to DM me your Pidgeot ideas, I'd love to see them. :)

My Pidgeot decks are pretty technical. All of them focus on Mirror Move. My list float around 64 to 66 cards right now. Im building it as a punishment deck.