Cutiefly, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Drampa, Togedemaru, Bruxish, and Tapu Koko Revealed!

BtmnPenguin

Aspiring Trainer
Wowowowowowowow!

I have to say I am thoroughly impressed thus far with the new pokemon. Their designs just seem to work, especially within the context of the region. I'm loving all the bugs. Vikavolt is awesome and may perhaps find a spot on my team.

I also love Tapu Koko and how it looks like a tribal mask. Very awesome design. Drampa is also awesome, and love Cutiefly!

Togedemaru is the only one I'm iffy on, but that's because I'm not a fan of pika-clones. I do love the steel typing though, so that's a great positive.

Bruxish isn't bad either, but generic fish pokemon are so overdone at this point.

This leads me to wonder, which of these reveals do we think will get evolutions? Drampa? Bruxish? Togedemaru? Cutiefly? There's a whole slew of possibilities with these.

So very excited for what we've been seeing so far!!!

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
The hedgehog pika clone is by far my favorite pika clone ever (and clearly surpasses that rubbish Pikachu), but following the trend of pika clones it will most likely be a stand-alone Pokemon which kinda sucks. I'm a little bit disappointed with Grubbin's evolutions, but they're still pretty cool for the regional bug.

Ami Dark

Professor/Leader of the Destiny Tower League
ZOMG! First Drampa I get is getting named Falcor. No IFs ANDS or BUTTS!!

MegaButterfree

Old Timer
I wonder if Bruxish will come in lots of different color combinations similar Vivillon but less regional and more random like Spinda...

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
I knew making this gen based on Hawaii wouldn't be a good thing (for me)...
I don't like the exotic look of most of these designs...

God I love these designs (except for the bee and the Pika clone, but they're OK).

Strangely enough, those two (Cutiefly and Togedemaru) were the only ones I liked. This guy summed up my opinion:

I find most of these ugly and in general unpleasant, though I think Tapu Koko looks pretty neat!

Tapu Koko looks decent to me but doesn't look vary fairy-ish imo... I would have preferred Electric/Fighting.
Other than that, I'm disappointed with Grubbin's evolutions mostly because I liked its color scheme a lot and they changed it. Plus, Charjabug looks lame due to looking like a battery and Vikavolt is not as cool as I expected, again likely because of that blue, if they kept the brown and orange from Grubbin, it could look better...
As for the other two, Bruxish (horrible name) and Drampa (not much better name as it reminds me of a portuguese word that means "crap"), Bruxish is fugly, looks like a fish version of Jynx and as I said above, don't like the exotic look, while Drampa wins the prize for most ridiculous Dragon ever, maybe tied with Goomy... It only looks good when its "hair" goes up when attacking, resembling the horns of an asian dragon... Still, too derpy.
Other than Tapu Koko, I like these Pokémon's typings though.

Overall, Gen 7 is being a mixed bag for me so far.

From the rest, guess me and some others guessed correctly that Zygarde 50% also transforms into Zygarde Complete at low HP via its Swarm Change ability. Does this mean Zygarde Complete has a new ability, or just Aura Break?
What I'm curious about is whether Zygarde 50's ability will change or it will receive swarm change as it's hidden ability.
Nice that they confirmed Zygarde 50% can also transform...
As for the ability, if what I predict is correct, they have probably changed Zygarde 50%'s ability to Swarm Change (so it can also transform) and gave Aura Break to Complete Zygarde.
I'm just bummed that in this video they also showed Zygarde transforming when its HP got in the red... I was hoping Zygarde could transform at least after losing half of its HP...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So many Electric types in this batch, I knew Charjabug, Vikavolt, and Togedemaru were, but Tapu Koko too? They're really giving Electric some love this gen. I do like some of these other type combinations too, we got Normal/Dragon and Bug/Fairy which are new, and we haven't had Electric/Steel in a while.

I am a little curious about why they chose to reveal an official trailer for them now when we have new news tomorrow though. If this was what was supposed to be revealed tomorrow you'd think they stay the course and wait to officially reveal them.

Last edited:

Ami Dark

Professor/Leader of the Destiny Tower League
Many of these will have to grow on me as I play through. I think i'll just PC the Trump Pokemon though, lol. But i'll grow to like them once I play the game with them.

Xx_SalamanderMan_xX

Of Chin-Chin Descent
Im really happy with the amount of dual type Pokemon! It seems like they are trying to stray away from boring designs. Also Drampa is the #1 Bob Marley Dragon.

SkyeVictini

Seriously, calm down.
Charjabug and Vikavolt have to be Grubbin's evolutions. They just have to.

Cutiefly and Togedemaru are just too freakin precious. I wonder if Cutiefly is smaller than Flabebe; it looks pretty tiny! And it's Bug/Fairy!

And the Falcor Pokemon is Normal/Dragon - interesting combo!

And this probably isn't the case, but I was hoping Bruxish was based on the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a fish. It's face is terrifying but it makes up for it for being so colorful!

Tapu Koko looks really cool. Obviously based on some Hawaiian spirit.

BJisaPokemon

Aspiring Trainer
I think i figured out how to get zygarde 100%. I think it will be like darmaniten and it's zen mode so when zygarde it low on health, it turns into zygarde 100%.

Turquoise

Greenish-Blue Trainer (?)
I am a little curious about why they chose to reveal an official trailer for them now when we have new news tomorrow though. If this was what was supposed to be revealed tomorrow you'd think they stay the course and wait to officially reveal them.

Maybe it's because of the leaks? Than again, it won't explain why they only release the Japanese version of it.

Chrono

Ragin' Cajun
I really dig all of these except for Bruxish, which is ugly and hopefully has a more appealing evolution. Tapu Koko and the Pika clone have especially awesome designs.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I wonder if Bruxish will come in lots of different color combinations similar Vivillon but less regional and more random like Spinda...

Since it looks glaringly female; I think Bruxish could operate like Frillish, having a blue, masculine counterpart that you can encounter.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
These new Pokemon are absolutely amazing! I am hoping that Charjabug and Vikavolt are evolutions for Grubbin like many, but I am concerned on the Grubbin to Charjabug evolution, Charjabug seems to be about the same size and with a different color scheme, it just seems out of place. Grubbin was confirmed to have 2 evolutions thanks to the Pokedex screen we have seen for it and the Bug/Electric typing all fits Grubbin's text blurb but I'm not sold 100% on if it is really an evolution. Charjabug and Vikavolt seem like their own bug set and Grubbin evolves into 2 other bugs that may be Bug/Electric or Bug/Ground.

If Grubbin does in fact evolve into Charjabug and Vikavolt, it will certainly be a must have on my team regardless, I absolutely love the designs and the bright tropical beetle colors remind me most about why I like beetles in real life.

Cutiefly and Togedemaru are absolutely adorable and Togedemaru is easily my favorite "Pike-clone" with the best typing too. Bug/Fairy is great and I hope Cutiefly continues to evolve into a even more fluffier and cuddly bug. So many bugs are pretty serious looking and having an adorable one outside of the butterflies and Joltik.

Drampa is a fantastic design, I'm excited to see more dragons not being super ferocious and edgy. My favorite dragons Dragonite, Goodra and Altaria all attest to the fact that dragons don't have to be monstrous to be cool or majestic.

Now, everyone hates on Bruxish, but I love the design. Its ferocious, mysterious, and a perfect representation of a deep sea monster, yet elements of tropical islands with the flower antennae and bright purple and yellow designs.

And finally, Tapu Koko. I love it, plain and simple. The way it can fold its arm plates to resemble a totem or a tiki statue and its typing (while not unique due to Dedenne) is still incredibly cool and While Dedenne couldn't really take advantage of its Fairy typing with no Dazzling Gleam or Moon Blast, I feel that Tapu Koko's new move (signature?) Nature's Wrath will be the hard hitting Fairy type move that this typing needs to be a real competitive contender. Not to mention the coloration, theme and typing all suggest that the other 3 Guardian Pokemon of the Alola Islands will be all similar, but very unique in their own way. Similar in sense that Thundurus, Tornadus, and Landorus were, but hopefully more distinct to not just be accused of being palette swaps (even though we all know better than to call them that, or at least some of us know considering the hate they still receive 6 years later).

I am so excited for Sun/Moon and these new Pokemon continue to exceed my expectations. I have heard countless people over the day claim to high heavens how these don't look like Pokemon or how most fakemon look leagues better and while taste is a matter of opinion, Pokemon has always been really eccentric and while there are no central themes such as organic vs mechanical or real-world vs fantasy as even in Gen I we have many examples of artificial, organic, real-world, and fantasy themes that people can cherry-pick around to claim how the new Pokemon aren't Pokemon at all but the fact is, these are all Pokemon. Pokemon has always been a very inclusive, loosely defined, set of creatures based on house-hold objects, animals, existential concepts that all have their charms and unique aspects that is the reason for why Pokemon is so beloved and why we keep coming back year after year for the new releases and to see the new Pokemon designs and plan our new adventure.

Lalo

Aspiring Trainer
Tapu Koko is the guardian of the island you start in, right? I think we're seeing so many Electric-types because they're from Tapu Koko's island, and the other islands probably have a lot of Pokémon that share the Guardian's type.

Momaster12

The Temporal Destroyer
Are the bird Pokemon that Tapu Koko hits in the beginning cutscene Spearows? At first glance they looked like new Pokemon but I could be mistaken.

Giratinous Cube

six menacing points
So I guess the prefix/kanji (I don't fully know what I'm talking about bear with me) 'toge-' has something to do with roundness. And '-maru' is boy ja? Could Togedemaru be -- ROUNDBOY??

Maru is the one that means round (or circle)! "Toge" means spike, and "de-" is shortened from "denki", or electricity. There is probably a pun in the middle of the name that I'm missing, but Togedemaru pretty much translates to "spiky electric ball".

GlaceonFanatic

Snow King
Wow I'm really loving these designs. Especially Drampa! It just looks really nice idk. Hopefully everyone warms up to them within time. The cocoon bug and its evolution are really creative and nice too. It seems to be a battery evolving to like jumper cables.

Chrono

Ragin' Cajun
I am hoping that Charjabug and Vikavolt are evolutions for Grubbin like many, but I am concerned on the Grubbin to Charjabug evolution, Charjabug seems to be about the same size and with a different color scheme, it just seems out of place. Grubbin was confirmed to have 2 evolutions thanks to the Pokedex screen we have seen for it and the Bug/Electric typing all fits Grubbin's text blurb but I'm not sold 100% on if it is really an evolution. Charjabug and Vikavolt seem like their own bug set and Grubbin evolves into 2 other bugs that may be Bug/Electric or Bug/Ground.
There's no doubt in my mind that Charjabug evolves from Grubbin. They each have two horns protruding from their respective heads, two circles on their sides, and an identical jagged, vertical line that runs through the middle of their faces (Vikavolt has this as well). Also, their horns are the same color.