Ash-Greninja-EX Revealed in 'CoroCoro!'

Right, cuz it's not like it's the most popular of the three starters in gen6. Oh wait... it is.

No need to be snarky or anything like that. What makes it more popular than Delphox or Chesnaught? A lot of people the other two just as much, yet we only see Greninja. To a lot of people, Greninja was designed to be 'popular' but that's not how popularity work. Sure a ninja frog is cool and we have Naruto to thank for that - heck my naruto deck was ninja frogs but there was like no time to even get to like the pokemon. They just showed it and said, "yep, popular".

The honest question here is do you think it would be as popular if it wasn't so in your face versus the other two?

Yep, I had a feeling this card wasn't gonna be good. Greninja hasn't been given a very good way in the TCG thus far, and this Ash-Greninja just screamed "yet another terrible promo" to me.

I love Greninja but I absolutely don't like this sort of "transformation", so I'll totally ignore it, trying to forget it as soon as possible.

No need to be snarky or anything like that. What makes it more popular than Delphox or Chesnaught? A lot of people the other two just as much, yet we only see Greninja. To a lot of people, Greninja was designed to be 'popular' but that's not how popularity work. Sure a ninja frog is cool and we have Naruto to thank for that - heck my naruto deck was ninja frogs but there was like no time to even get to like the pokemon. They just showed it and said, "yep, popular".

The honest question here is do you think it would be as popular if it wasn't so in your face versus the other two?
So two years since release and online usage statistics mean that it's just as popular? Sorry, but the empirical evidence across the franchise shows that Greninja is more popular than its counterparts. Do people like the other two? Yes. Nobody's arguing that. However, to say that it's just "designed to be popular" and "it hasn't had time to become popular" seems to ignore the simple fact that it's been here for two years. It's had time to become popular, and that's what actual data shows. The only reason it's "in our faces" now is because of those two years. The masses have spoken and raw data is hard to disprove. If you don't like the data, that's fine, but you can't pretend it doesn't exist.

Yep, I had a feeling this card wasn't gonna be good. Greninja hasn't been given a very good way in the TCG thus far, and this Ash-Greninja just screamed "yet another terrible promo" to me.
I dunno. There's been some local use of Greninja-Miltank and it's made good local showing here. Naturally, Dive Ball and Rare Candy give it a little steam, but the Faded Town and Fisherman seemed to help skilled players reach the higher damage caps they needed for the deck to work better.

Wow, the moves aren't as good as I had thought they would be, but they are decent. They can be really good, depending on your deck set-up, but mine would not have that fit well.

So two years since release and online usage statistics mean that it's just as popular? Sorry, but the empirical evidence across the franchise shows that Greninja is more popular than its counterparts. Do people like the other two? Yes. Nobody's arguing that. However, to say that it's just "designed to be popular" and "it hasn't had time to become popular" seems to ignore the simple fact that it's been here for two years. It's had time to become popular, and that's what actual data shows. The only reason it's "in our faces" now is because of those two years. The masses have spoken and raw data is hard to disprove. If you don't like the data, that's fine, but you can't pretend it doesn't exist.

Raw data is hard to disprove but the other two have been around for the same amount of time. The only difference here is Greninja is directly supported by Nintendo and TPCi, hence the reason people 'like' it. It was designed to be 'cool' with its focus group while the other two were doomed from conception. Its easy to manipulate data and say whats 'popular'.

This same thing was tried with Zoroark and it utterly failed. They wanted a 'new' Lucario and pushed it. It got its own movie, merch, the whole nine yards but it never caught on because people still liked Lucario. It just didn't catch on. Do I also need to remind you of the 10 ultra rare Mewtwo EX cards that came out? It just makes me wonder what if Pidgeot got 10 ultra rare cards in a set. Must be good to have that kind of support from the company. You know what, what if the other two starters or other Pokemon had that kind of support. Getting 10 ultra rares in a set would do a lot of good for them.

The point I'm getting at is Greninja was designed to do well, while the other weren't. The fact it was thrown in smash proves this.

Raw data is hard to disprove but the other two have been around for the same amount of time. The only difference here is Greninja is directly supported by Nintendo and TPCi, hence the reason people 'like' it. It was designed to be 'cool' with its focus group while the other two were doomed from conception. Its easy to manipulate data and say whats 'popular'.

This same thing was tried with Zoroark and it utterly failed. They wanted a 'new' Lucario and pushed it. It got its own movie, merch, the whole nine yards but it never caught on because people still liked Lucario. It just didn't catch on. Do I also need to remind you of the 10 ultra rare Mewtwo EX cards that came out? It just makes me wonder what if Pidgeot got 10 ultra rare cards in a set. Must be good to have that kind of support from the company. You know what, what if the other two starters or other Pokemon had that kind of support. Getting 10 ultra rares in a set would do a lot of good for them.

The point I'm getting at is Greninja was designed to do well, while the other weren't. The fact it was thrown in smash proves this.

There can only be ONE Lucario!!!

I would be ok with Ash-Greninja if they would explain what the hell it's doing even existing. Like, we've known of it for months, but we don't really know it's full significance, like if we're going to see the ability to visually change our Greninjas in-game or anything, because they won't tell us ANYTHING.

I would be ok with Ash-Greninja if they would explain what the hell it's doing even existing. Like, we've known of it for months, but we don't really know it's full significance, like if we're going to see the ability to visually change our Greninjas in-game or anything, because they won't tell us ANYTHING.

Watch episode 7 of the anime that recently aired. Tells some things

So you blame a company for using profitable marketing? Cuz that's kind of the entire point of having a business. And "doomed from conception" suggests that you absolutely know what was going through the devs heads at the time they developed the XY games, a clairvoyance I seriously doubt you actually have. It sounds like a plausible guess, but why exactly should I believe it, with Greninja getting special treatment NOW and not within the first three months of XY release? I mean, your whole point was hinged on the idea that the fan base hasn't had time to become popular, but you say so two years after the fact. What special treatment has Greninja gotten before now? Before it topped online-usage charts? before people recognized the raw force of Protean and its overall in-game flexibility? And regardless of any of that, you still have to recognize that Pokemon is a business. The purpose of business is profit. They're going to work with what's statistically proven to be a profitable venture. And then we venture into how it's tied to the show and Ash/Satoshi, which is even more largely aimed at kids than it is at older, veteran players. Complaining about the popularity of something that aims at a target demographic you aren't really in the test-range for? Why are you so adamant about what the tv show does with Greninja? If anything, I think it opens the door for new twists in what the game can offer. If it's some kind of human-Pokemon fusion, cool. How's that work and how would it integrate into the card and video games? If it's some kind of "full synchro" thing Pokemon go through, ala Megaman Battle Network, cool. How's THAT going to work into the card and video games? far as I can tell, it's a window of opportunity for something new and exiting across the franchise, and the front-runner they decided to use just happens to be a Pokemon who many players like for several reasons. Design, versatility, usefulness in VG competition/online battles, or even just cuz Ash has one. Everyone has their own reason for liking what they do. No reason to be a hater just cuz something is popular, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like playing decks or teams that everyone uses. :)

PS: Smash? That's the anchor to your issue? Cuz Smash came out, when, about a year after X and Y? Yeah, I'm sure a year isn't enough time for Greninja to become popular on its own merits. I'm sure that froggy was decided for Smash before anybody even knew it was going to exist. TLDR version, your complaint is that it's just marketed to be popular, when the actual timeline of the very things you're talking about prove the opposite. It's heading the current marketing because it already became popular.

So you blame a company for using profitable marketing? Cuz that's kind of the entire point of having a business. And "doomed from conception" suggests that you absolutely know what was going through the devs heads at the time they developed the XY games, a clairvoyance I seriously doubt you actually have. It sounds like a plausible guess, but why exactly should I believe it, with Greninja getting special treatment NOW and not within the first three months of XY release? I mean, your whole point was hinged on the idea that the fan base hasn't had time to become popular, but you say so two years after the fact. What special treatment has Greninja gotten before now? Before it topped online-usage charts? before people recognized the raw force of Protean and its overall in-game flexibility? And regardless of any of that, you still have to recognize that Pokemon is a business. The purpose of business is profit. They're going to work with what's statistically proven to be a profitable venture. And then we venture into how it's tied to the show and Ash/Satoshi, which is even more largely aimed at kids than it is at older, veteran players. Complaining about the popularity of something that aims at a target demographic you aren't really in the test-range for? Why are you so adamant about what the tv show does with Greninja? If anything, I think it opens the door for new twists in what the game can offer. If it's some kind of human-Pokemon fusion, cool. How's that work and how would it integrate into the card and video games? If it's some kind of "full synchro" thing Pokemon go through, ala Megaman Battle Network, cool. How's THAT going to work into the card and video games? far as I can tell, it's a window of opportunity for something new and exiting across the franchise, and the front-runner they decided to use just happens to be a Pokemon who many players like for several reasons. Design, versatility, usefulness in VG competition/online battles, or even just cuz Ash has one. Everyone has their own reason for liking what they do. No reason to be a hater just cuz something is popular, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like playing decks or teams that everyone uses. :)

PS: Smash? That's the anchor to your issue? Cuz Smash came out, when, about a year after X and Y? Yeah, I'm sure a year isn't enough time for Greninja to become popular on its own merits. I'm sure that froggy was decided for Smash before anybody even knew it was going to exist. TLDR version, your complaint is that it's just marketed to be popular, when the actual timeline of the very things you're talking about prove the opposite. It's heading the current marketing because it already became popular.

No one is arguing a company trying to make money. What I'm saying is Greninja was designed with popularity in mind and ignoring that fact is pretty naive. I don't really care about the before or after effect. Tekken Revolution had a poll as for who would be the newest characters to the game and one of the choices were "Female Vampire (A young girl, long imprisoned by the Rochefort family) and Average, run of the mill Old Man - which one of these do you think won? The Old Man was doomed from concept in which the hot vampire chick that tested well with the age group- who already had a design because they knew it would win. So does that mean she is popular because she had all the support from the start? A concept can be doomed from conception, which Delphox and Chesnaught were. Now if they were ninja's as well. I mean come on,a ninja fox is a thing. Look at Renamon.

Greninja was tested to do well. It has everything going for it. A sick design, a really good ability and move pool and is a ninja, which kids love and then we have the fire fox (so original) and a nut. If you have to pick one of the three, who would you pick (as a kid). The other two never stood a chance. I dont have a problem with something being focus grouped tested because thats how this works but what I have a problem with is when some one says 'X' is popular when the reasons behind it were fabricated. I can say when it comes to true popularity, its fails to a Pokemon like Pidgeot who never had Nintendo's or TPC/i support and still has a large fan following unlike a Pokemon designed to maybe do well. Again look at Lucario who was a hit and Zoroark who was a flop. I for one would love to see a Bond Delphox and Chesnaught because those designs would be sweet but we'll never see them because Greninja. Ash also had a lot of Pokemon, often having all the starters as to not overshadow the others.

Not being a hater here, just speaking the truth. Also, as for the Smash thing. Greninja was plan for smash before the public even knew of it existence. They intended for it to be a hit. I mean, look at how subpar Delphox and Chestnaught are compared to it. They both get OHKOed.

No one is arguing a company trying to make money. What I'm saying is Greninja was designed with popularity in mind and ignoring that fact is pretty naive. I don't really care about the before or after effect. Tekken Revolution had a poll as for who would be the newest characters to the game and one of the choices were "Female Vampire (A young girl, long imprisoned by the Rochefort family) and Average, run of the mill Old Man - which one of these do you think won? The Old Man was doomed from concept in which the hot vampire chick that tested well with the age group- who already had a design because they knew it would win. So does that mean she is popular because she had all the support from the start? A concept can be doomed from conception, which Delphox and Chesnaught were. Now if they were ninja's as well. I mean come on,a ninja fox is a thing. Look at Renamon.

Greninja was tested to do well. It has everything going for it. A sick design, a really good ability and move pool and is a ninja, which kids love and then we have the fire fox (so original) and a nut. If you have to pick one of the three, who would you pick (as a kid). The other two never stood a chance. I dont have a problem with something being focus grouped tested because thats how this works but what I have a problem with is when some one says 'X' is popular when the reasons behind it were fabricated. I can say when it comes to true popularity, its fails to a Pokemon like Pidgeot who never had Nintendo's or TPC/i support and still has a large fan following unlike a Pokemon designed to maybe do well. Again look at Lucario who was a hit and Zoroark who was a flop. I for one would love to see a Bond Delphox and Chesnaught because those designs would be sweet but we'll never see them because Greninja. Ash also had a lot of Pokemon, often having all the starters as to not overshadow the others.

Not being a hater here, just speaking the truth. Also, as for the Smash thing. Greninja was plan for smash before the public even knew of it existence. They intended for it to be a hit. I mean, look at how subpar Delphox and Chestnaught are compared to it. They both get OHKOed.
Ah, I get it now. It's a "the Pokemon I like isn't popular" complaint. Ok, I'm done. I get it now.

Ah, I get it now. It's a "the Pokemon I like isn't popular" complaint. Ok, I'm done. I get it now.

Well, no. I just it as an example since I do like it. It will be used in all my examples, like the 10 Pidgeot ultra rare cards you seemed to have missed. Really, any Pokemon can replace Pidgeot, even the ones I don't like and the argument would be valid. I didn't dismiss your argument, even with the misinformation because I owed you that respect so I at least expect the same respect.

Didn't that just repeat what they first hinted at in CoroCoro that Ash-Greninja is like Mega Evolving?

Well idk bout mega evolve type .. characters in the episode made reference at the end about seeing greninja take some legendary form and ash has no idea what happened yet, so maybe this is something really special. All that matters to me is getting the card, I love collecting special promo cards.

Back