'CoroCoro' Reveals Volcanion

laaaaamee

Pokemon Z better be amazing after all of this waiting. And I'm still sore about no battle frontier :p

I hope in the next Pokemon the legendary Pokmon like this are free DLC so they aren't revealed by digging through the games files. They have got to be aware the current system holds no surprises. Imagine how exciting all these 'post-release' Pokemon would be if we had never known about them until they were officially revealed.

harrybolseque-1362685028_140.jpg

He better get a bipedal alternate form and fight against Complete Zygarde that's all I'm askin'

I wish these mythical Pokemon would unlock some little side story thing that had you dungeon crawling, the stories provided aren't terribly interesting. Either way Volcanion seems like he's gonna be a bad Pokemon, that typing mixed with the stats seem awful :/

I'm very glad they finally revealed (officially) the last hidden legendary Pokémon! Now give us news about the next Pokémon game! :D

I wish these mythical Pokemon would unlock some little side story thing that had you dungeon crawling, the stories provided aren't terribly interesting. Either way Volcanion seems like he's gonna be a bad Pokemon, that typing mixed with the stats seem awful :/

I agree for the story side, I really don't understand why giving us "event legendaries"... The Delta Episode in ORAS perfectly matches what I'd like from these legendaries in-game.

That said, how can you say that Volcanion looks like a bad Pokémon? Its typing grants him 3 strong resistances, an unique trait, and other two resistances, while its ability let it absorbs HP from otherwise neutral Water type attacks. Steam Eruption is one of the best Water type moves in the game, combining the power of Hydro Pump with the utility of Scald, all of that backed up by more than decent accuracy. 80/120/90 is a solid bulk for an offensive 'mon, and 110/130 mixed attacks with a fairly nice movepool with strong STABs and good coverage makes it pretty good on mixed or special offense. Of course it isn't perfect, it lacks boosting moves, has 3 crippling weaknesses, it's vulnerable to all entry hazards and it's pretty slow, but those flaws are shared with a lot of other good Pokémons. All that said, we don't even know if it'll have a new form/Mega as Diancie and Hoopa (and Zygarde) did, or even some interesting tutor moves in Z... To me, even as it is, Volcanion looks absolutely promising even without being flawless.

Always wondered why do they insist on ignoring the fact that hackers exist and all their data, including the hidden data in any game, is already known?
Anyway, lets pretend that I don't know about this Pokemon already. I really don't like the design of it. It didn't happen to me with Hoopa or Diancie, so I hope it would gain a new form somehow.

"Big news"? We knew about this Pokemon since X & Y was released. I was hoping the news would be a new game or even a new generation.

I agree for the story side, I really don't understand why giving us "event legendaries"... The Delta Episode in ORAS perfectly matches what I'd like from these legendaries in-game.

That said, how can you say that Volcanion looks like a bad Pokémon? Its typing grants him 3 strong resistances, an unique trait, and other two resistances, while its ability let it absorbs HP from otherwise neutral Water type attacks. Steam Eruption is one of the best Water type moves in the game, combining the power of Hydro Pump with the utility of Scald, all of that backed up by more than decent accuracy. 80/120/90 is a solid bulk for an offensive 'mon, and 110/130 mixed attacks with a fairly nice movepool with strong STABs and good coverage makes it pretty good on mixed or special offense. Of course it isn't perfect, it lacks boosting moves, has 3 crippling weaknesses, it's vulnerable to all entry hazards and it's pretty slow, but those flaws are shared with a lot of other good Pokémons. All that said, we don't even know if it'll have a new form/Mega as Diancie and Hoopa (and Zygarde) did, or even some interesting tutor moves in Z... To me, even as it is, Volcanion looks absolutely promising even without being flawless.
The weaknesses he has are also common on attacking moves (i.e. Edgequake or Thunderbolt), on commonly used Pokemon like Landorus-T, which all outspeed him. As I said, it's the typing with the stats themselves that makes me not like this Pokemon, if he was a little faster I wouldn't mind, he certainly has the offensive output though.

Always wondered why do they insist on ignoring the fact that hackers exist and all their data, including the hidden data in any game, is already known?
Anyway, lets pretend that I don't know about this Pokemon already. I really don't like the design of it. It didn't happen to me with Hoopa or Diancie, so I hope it would gain a new form somehow.

Not everyone knows about hackers and their work, especially kids under 12, which is the target audience of these magazines. For example, My best friend's 6 year old brother was shocked when Diancie was revealed. We didn't tell him and even though he uses the internet a lot he didn't understand PkHex and Hacking, etc.

The weaknesses he has are also common on attacking moves (i.e. Edgequake or Thunderbolt), on commonly used Pokemon like Landorus-T, which all outspeed him. As I said, it's the typing with the stats themselves that makes me not like this Pokemon, if he was a little faster I wouldn't mind, he certainly has the offensive output though.

Well, I see it as other threats such as Tyranitar, Hoopa-U, Bisharp, Kyurem-B, M-Heracross etc etc... , I'm not comparing them directly, I'm just saying that they all have great potential despite their crippling weaknesses because of their positive traits. Volcanion has enough positive traits to partially compensate its flaws IMHO, at least in the current generation. Maybe it'll not pose much of a threat compared to higher 'mons in ranking, but it's still far from bad, that's my point.

Well, I see it as other threats such as Tyranitar, Hoopa-U, Bisharp, Kyurem-B, M-Heracross etc etc... , I'm not comparing them directly, I'm just saying that they all have great potential despite their crippling weaknesses because of their positive traits. Volcanion has enough positive traits to partially compensate its flaws IMHO, at least in the current generation. Maybe it'll not pose much of a threat compared to higher 'mons in ranking, but it's still far from bad, that's my point.
A fair point, nearly any Pokemon can be good with the right team mates. I would imagine that ironically Landorus-T would also make for a good team mate, as he resists all of his weaknesses. Who knows, it probably could be better than what I give it credit for. Even a mixed Assault Vest set would appear viable

Last edited:
Speaking of Volcanion itself, I've mixed feeling about it. I think that 6th gen legendaries are amongst the most beautiful and well done legendaries out there: Xerneas and Yveltal are just stunningly wonderful, 50% Zygarde is really intriguing and original, Diancie is cute and has an appropriate, powerful Mega-evolution, Hoopa isn't my favorite but I like it, and the Unbound forme isn't plain beautiful too but I really love how evil and monstrous it looks. Then the Zygarde formes, I like the Core and I'm ok with the Cell, they're really fitting the concept imho, but I'm really disappointed by the 10% dog and the 100% Perfect, as I find the former completely out of context (it could've been a good pokémon but a Zygarde forme? Really? If you want a fast Zygarde give it a flying snake form, it would've been much more appropriate) and the latter totally overdesigned and too anthropomorphic (I kind of appreciate the kaiju-look, but it feels tremendously wrong all together, I would've liked it with a serpentine body at least... and even a more dragonish head eventually). Then, returning to Volcanion, I see it more similar to 100% Zygarde than to the other legendaries in style, and that's not exactly positive for my tastes, but the colors maybe are what I'm not too fond of it, they give it a somewhat "fake" look... However, it's not all that bad in general, and I really like the fact that we finally have a water/fire "steam" Pokémon, as I said in the other comments I appreciate how it is competitively built. Despite being quite reluctant to all these Legendary formes of the last gens (especially the 4th and 5th ones, too many unnecessary legendaries imho), I'm hoping for a Volcanion new form that will complete its design without making it too overdesigned, I would like to see more steam around it, and a more harmonic style for the "arms" (and more bulk speaking of its stats, it's a bit lacking considering how slow it is).

This is why Game Freak needs to adopt a better strategy to hide their "secret" Legendaries. We haven't had one that was actually secret in years!

Back