RBY 'Pokemon Red,' 'Blue,' 'Yellow' to be Released on 3DS Virtual Console!

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
Only Japan can bum me out on something as cool as the release of RBY, they get all the cool stuff :(

I would totally dish out money for those bundles. Oh well, maybe we'll luck out and GameStop, Amazon and/or Pokemon Center will offer these

sciper

Aspiring Trainer
now if we can do online battles old school wise i'd so be down to download this! still have mine on gameboy's

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Well it's nice and all that they made the games able to trade but I just wish they could also add a tiny update called: making the game faster.
After playing gen5 and gen6, it's really hard to get used to the gen1 speed.

kangle4

Aspiring Trainer
Well it's nice and all that they made the games able to trade but I just wish they could also add a tiny update called: making the game faster.
After playing gen5 and gen6, it's really hard to get used to the gen1 speed.
Yeah the overall speed of the game is my only gripe with the original games.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
US$10 isn't that bad, I guess; it'll likely be a Euro or two less over here or so. I'll probably just get Yellow unless they release a package deal or something.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I plan on getting Yellow because of the ability to get all starters and Jesse & James being part of the storyline instead of random Team Rocket members. I'll end up getting one of the other two games on my 2DS as then I'll be able to trade with myself. I've actually begun planning a tournament using RBY games with first place prize being my professor mat that has all original 150 Pokemon.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
These should really be 5 USD. It would only be worth 10 bucks if it were in 3D or they merged R/B/G into one game, which should be a cake walk. I'd only play through one game but 10 bucks is way too much for a retro game at this point, considering its not even physical.

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
I plan on getting Yellow because of the ability to get all starters and Jesse & James being part of the storyline instead of random Team Rocket members. I'll end up getting one of the other two games on my 2DS as then I'll be able to trade with myself. I've actually begun planning a tournament using RBY games with first place prize being my professor mat that has all original 150 Pokemon.
I've wanted to get that playmat since I had heard about it! Same with the Sycamores that come with it. Sadly im not a professor.

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
Kind of old-ish News, they where available for pre-order day one

I preordered all 3 >_>;;;

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
$10, so I assume they'll be like £7.50 over here or something, but ofc we don't know the non-US prices yet, at least I don't think so.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
I don't think it was just Nintendo coming up with this price. They figured they wouldn't lose half the potential sales at double the price. I wonder if they even discussed what the drop-off would be at $15. The fans 'have time' and 'have money' because there is no new Pokemon this year. To me they are clearly taking advantage of the fan base and squeezing out an extra $5. No way I'm supporting this.

TheWicky

Random and evil: first one, then the other
If they announce that there's a way to get a Pikachu that knows Surf so we can FINALLY PLAY THAT STUPID MINIGAME, I'll buy Yellow in a heartbeat.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
These should really be 5 USD. It would only be worth 10 bucks if it were in 3D or they merged R/B/G into one game, which should be a cake walk. I'd only play through one game but 10 bucks is way too much for a retro game at this point, considering its not even physical.

Most likely the price increase is because of the updated trading and battling link. I could have lived without but it's good if the kids wanna use it.

TheWicky

Random and evil: first one, then the other
Most likely the price increase is because of the updated trading and battling link. I could have lived without but it's good if the kids wanna use it.
No, that doesn't require a lot of resources. You don't need a big team to edit code and test the programming for trading wirelessly. So, the $10 charge more than likely isn't there to be a supplement to pay for the coder's time.

One reason could be, assuming that $10 is really that exorbitant, is that maybe it's only R/B/Y in name alone. The code may have been freshly written by GF's programmers, made to follow modern day code standards. While it may be programmed to look and function just like R/B/Y, it might not be the same game under the hood.
Unless VirtualConsole is a GB engine that allows you to play a true port of an old game, in which case nevermind.

It's still cheaper than the original cartridges were back in the day.

Last edited:

SkyeVictini

Seriously, calm down.
I'm definitely getting Yellow first because it was my very first Pokemon game (which I never got past the first gym in) and I aspire to finally beat it! I may also get Red later because I never beat that either. Although, I did better than in Yellow. I think I got 5 or 6 badges.

Also, $10 isn't bad. Was expecting $5, but its way better than the 1998 cartridge price.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*

Thats still not worth the additional cost or anything since I'm sure the game still makes references to the link cable. I dont mind paying the 10 bucks but it needs some additional features since trading is Pokemon at its core.

No, that doesn't require a lot of resources. You don't need a big team to edit code and test the programming for trading wirelessly. So, the $10 charge more than likely isn't there to be a supplement to pay for the coder's time.

One reason could be, assuming that $10 is really that exorbitant, is that maybe it's only R/B/Y in name alone. The code may have been freshly written by GF's programmers, made to follow modern day code standards. While it may be programmed to look and function just like R/B/Y, it might not be the same game under the hood.
Unless VirtualConsole is a GB engine that allows you to play a true port of an old game, in which case nevermind.

It's still cheaper than the original cartridges were back in the day.

VC is just run in GB mode but they can still edit code to run with it. There are some pretty big game breaking glitches, such as turning the game into a hex editor and having access to whatever you want, in game.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.

Honestly, the fact that they said there will be more news/info on them between their reveal and February could mean they've added post-game content of some kind or done some major additions that don't effect the experience/change it, but rather extend it. Even if left practically untouched - there's a good chance we'll see some nice bonus content. This is Pokemon after all.