Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

I really hope we get more cards with attach to not an EX as a restriction, they're powerful enough.
The card says BASIC so anything that doesn't evolve or hasn't evolved can take advantage of this. I'm tired of people using the same cliche "EXs are overpowered". Tell me, what big basics out there are so strong and OHKO you from their first attacking turn? Not many. Yveltal, MewTwo (BW) and M Rayquaza are the only ones to come to mind right now. Everything else needs a turn or two, sometimes even more, before they can get going.

You know what gets 160+ damage from the first turn? NM and Vespiquen. Those decks don't have EX attackers (except for Mew).

I see this card helping the Basic non-EXs as well as Basic EXs. Look at the new Raikou. It'll have 160 HP (plus an Ability to reduce damage by 20) so it functions like an EX yet it isn't one. The new Yveltal and Xerneas, Ancient Trait Entei, and the Regitrio can soon have a chance to be viable now and not be worried about getting one-shotted by NM. This opens up new decks and strategies. My favourite will be Regigias from Phantom Forces. It will have 170 HP with this Tool attached and plus its Daunt Attack reduces damage by 40!

The biggest thing this card means is that people are going to opt in Startling Megaphone once again into their decks. Without Garbodor that card has fallen under the bus but with more powerful tools, comes the need for tool removal once again. Yveltal (BREAKthrough) shuts off tools while it is active, meaning that if you can do 180 damage to a Seismitoad EX that has this tool, sending up Yveltal will instantly knock it out. Startling Megaphone can be used to knock out some of these basic Pokemon without using a turn to attack as long as they have the necessary damage on them.

The card says BASIC so anything that doesn't evolve or hasn't evolved can take advantage of this. I'm tired of people using the same cliche "EXs are overpowered". Tell me, what big basics out there are so strong and OHKO you from their first attacking turn? Not many. Yveltal, MewTwo (BW) and M Rayquaza are the only ones to come to mind right now. Everything else needs a turn or two, sometimes even more, before they can get going.

You know what gets 160+ damage from the first turn? NM and Vespiquen. Those decks don't have EX attackers (except for Mew).

I see this card helping the Basic non-EXs as well as Basic EXs. Look at the new Raikou. It'll have 160 HP (plus an Ability to reduce damage by 20) so it functions like an EX yet it isn't one. The new Yveltal and Xerneas, Ancient Trait Entei, and the Regitrio can soon have a chance to be viable now and not be worried about getting one-shotted by NM. This opens up new decks and strategies. My favourite will be Regigias from Phantom Forces. It will have 170 HP with this Tool attached and plus its Daunt Attack reduces damage by 40!

While it does help non-EX basic Pokemon as well, having it not exclude EX Pokemon means these non-EX attackers that need a card like this to function, have to go up against EX Pokemon that didn't need it to begin with, but are all the more powerful having it regardless. Raikou with 160 HP is great, Seismitoad EX with 220 HP is terrifying. Regice being able to be powered up in 1 turn is fantastic, Yveltal EX being able to do the same is unnecessary and harmful to the idea that BREAKS and even Megas are supposed to be able to stand up against an onslaught of basic EX's. Giratina EX, the best wall Pokemon in the game, just got a tool that gives it 210 HP, and lets it hit for 110 instead of 100, a 2HKO on most Mega EX's including M Manectric-EX, M Rayquaza (colorless), M Sceptile, M Houndoom, M Gardevoir, M Mewtwo (Y), etc, even without the help of Faded Town. Its great that non-EX basics also get the boost, but when the boost is for all basic Pokemon, EX's are the ones that will come out on top once again.

Perhaps with BREAKPoint/XY9 we'll see a lot more of Banette ROS31:

XY6_EN_31.png

horrible horrible set

toad with 220 hp and 40 dmg item lock

290 hp wailord

210 hp aegislash taking everything

220 hp tyrantrum with 200 dmg breaking abilities and such and giovanni 220

210 hp yveltal with still great damage output instead of a 180 you hit 170 still killing most ex

210 hp giratina with 110 everything but item lock

i feel like they are trying to dive people away or force them into spending massive ammounts of cash to get shaymins vs seekers a pile of EX etc while each set is loaded with garbage cards nobody will use

horrible horrible set

toad with 220 hp and 40 dmg item lock

290 hp wailord

210 hp aegislash taking everything

220 hp tyrantrum with 200 dmg breaking abilities and such and giovanni 220

210 hp yveltal with still great damage output instead of a 180 you hit 170 still killing most ex

210 hp giratina with 110 everything but item lock

i feel like they are trying to dive people away or force them into spending massive ammounts of cash to get shaymins vs seekers a pile of EX etc while each set is loaded with garbage cards nobody will use

1. So?

2. So?

3. Aegislash, I'm sorry sucks now. People play around it so easily either by Lysandre or simply using Basic Energy.

4. Slow and so many other things can beat it including Vespiquen

5. Weak to Lighting and isn't that good in Standard

6. Yeah so? People still are going to 2HKO your Giratina while playing Hammers, Xerosic, Crushing Hammer, etc. You need 2 turns to power up it up and other decks can 2HKO before you can hit Chaos Wheel.

now to the few very very few places it helps non EX

raikou 160 hp 50+20 per electric attack -20 to each hit it takes so stuff like toad is usless

night march 70 joltick 100 hp pumpkaboo they cant be picked off by the weakest attacks and bench hits

deoxys 150 hp 40 dmg then 100 dmg for 1 psychic energy

landorus 160 hp 30 damage it is more likely to survive the first hit so you get a extra energy to place

yveltal 170 hp 40 damage extra dark energy acceleration
yveltal 170 hp 70 dmg to active 60 to benched ex more likely to get 2 hits and snipe a shaymin

entei half art 210 hp with a 50 damage hit that reduces 30 damage then a 150 damage attack

xerneas 170 hp energy acceleration
xerneas 160 hp fairy box nuke

finally gyrados does 30 damage for each damage on a magikarp which used to be limited to 30 hp on each now 70 so you can deal massive ammounts

With this and Max Elixir, Glalie EX could actually see a lot of play. while it's Mega is only a tech option.

Glalie EX at 210 hp, dealing 160 damage (w/ consistent Judging lol). Add in Bats or Archie's Empoleon (+20 atk) and you've got some nasty combos.

Last edited:
The manaphy has an ability... and most of the mythical legendar EX'S were staples...will this be a new staple?

The manaphy has an ability... and most of the mythical legendar EX'S were staples...will this be a new staple?

Previous Manaphy cards have all been about energy acceleration or deck searching, in essence some kind of really nice support for water type Pokemon so perhaps Manaphy EX will be a welcome partner to M Gyarados EX...

Or not.

Manaphy EX is going to be a mandatory 2-3 of in water/every deck in the future, calling it now. Think about it the last 2 promo cute/small legendaries we've had were mandatory 1-3 ofs in every deck aka Jirachi EX and Shaymin EX.

When I saw these I got excited.

Just the thought of a Manaphy Full Art.. I'm ready.

Greninja BREAK looks good too. I'm curious to see what the abilities both of these have.

Edit: Wait, 170 HP on Greninja? Dang that's even more than Chesnaught BREAK.

I'm probably not even close but maybe Manaphy it would be interesting if had an ability similar to Rough Seas, heal some damage from each of your Water Pokemon. Just a thought since some Pokemon have abilities similar to stadiums.

Last edited:
Edit: Wait, 170 HP on Greninja? Dang that's even more than Chesnaught BREAK.
umm no chesnaught has 190 also really hyped about these and since no one else has said anything the 2 Zygarde cores represent Xerneas and Yveltal I think Manaphy will be really good and has lots of potential

This would make retaliation gyarados more fun to play, magikarp 70 hp and maybe add pinsir...it'd be a fun deck, still not meta imo

Back