Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Honestly guys, proxy it before getting so worried, i tried on a Raikou deck with 10 basic energy, it doesn´t work, it´s terrible.

The only way i see this working, is using a Gallade premonition's ability to rearrange your top 5 cards, and then using it to get the energy.

About critiquing cards: I kind of base it off of of my experience of creating, viewing, and facing decks and other similar cards quite a lot. I see great power in Max Elixir because energy acceleration to EX's is a huge role to making them really powerful right now, to a point that many decklists are highly specialized towards energy flow itself.

Who knows - there might be cards that are hidden from our view that could balance out these new cards that lately are for the benefit of the major metagame forces - which are big basic EX's. But if this is the case, I hope these counter-measures are on par of being able to counter a 220 HP Seismitoad EX. v_v

I think the those Pokémons with in-complete evolution chain in BREAKthrough will get the final evolution card in this set. Greninja for one.

So if I were to put my money, I'll say we will have a Delphox in this set, along with it's BREAK evolution.
I don't think that will happen. Most of the incomplete lines in Break Through, are from the Legendary Shine Collection, and are related in some way to the Hoopa movie, so it would seem kinda random to have the evolutions from that in this set.
I'm rather confident in saying, that a new Froakie and Frogadier will come in this set. Then Fennekin and co. probably come in the next set.

Honestly guys, proxy it before getting so worried, i tried on a Raikou deck with 10 basic energy, it doesn´t work, it´s terrible.

The only way i see this working, is using a Gallade premonition's ability to rearrange your top 5 cards, and then using it to get the energy.
Just because you "tested" it and it didn't work doesn't mean that's how it's gonna go for everyone else who plays it. Maybe your list was just bad. 10 basic energy is a really small number, barely enough for a one in six chance. You definitely should run more than that, or have a lot of deck thinning like battle compressor or a Hoopa/Shaymin engine.
And this card wouldn't work with Gallade. Max Elixir looks at the top six cards of your deck, and Gallade only rearranges the top five, so Gallade would have literally no effect on Max Elixir's potential success rate.

Is this card the new Muscle Band? At least in Basic decks, this card blows Muscle Band out of the park. Either +20 Dmg, or +40 HP and +10 Dmg. Imagine a M-Tyranitar with 2 of these things... (im scared)

I think Zygarde will not be released until the movie comes in 2016!

I also have two questions:
1. When I played the online game my bench got locked by parallel city. But when I played Archie I got a fourth Pokemon my bench. Does that overrule the stadium or is it a bug?
2. Is a Break Card still considered Stage 2? Otherwise Miltank's can't do the extra damage. Although the break rule states it retains any attack / ability from the Pokemon it break evolved from, it doesn't state anywhere that it remains stage 2. Its stage is actually Break, so technically attacking with Miltank and a break Pokemon on your bench would have no effect I guess.... Or al I wrong?

Is this card the new Muscle Band? At least in Basic decks, this card blows Muscle Band out of the park. Either +20 Dmg, or +40 HP and +10 Dmg. Imagine a M-Tyranitar with 2 of these things... (im scared)

which'd do nothing since its not a basic.

+hp defensive tools seem pretty garbage, since they only have any value if you knock out that pokemon without the tool being discarded at any point. like if i hit a hard charm 180hp EX for 190 then discard the item, its left with 10hp. do the same with a spirit belt 180hp pokemon and it gets kod after the discarded item (right?)

and then unless this pokemon is getting hit for a very magical 200-220 hp as an EX (which i can only think of mega manectric hitting for weakness, or perhaps some primal groudon/vespiquen situations, im sure there are more) then hard charm is either better, or equally useless- since it blocks 40 damage over 2 hits (and if it hits over 220 then the pokemons getting knocked out either way).

the main selling point to me is for the big basic non-EXs which currently dont have a big metagame impact since the +40 hp boosting them up from 130 to 170 seems a lot more relevant than 170/180-> 210/220, and raikou/entei seem like being standouts. but whats wrong with boosting these cards? they arent dominant, and they're fun to see. its not like raikou/magnezone is anywhere near as fast or deadly as blastoise. i'd say yveltal EX also likes this card to avoid the 1hko from mega manectric but then assault laser would still ohko.
is this card really so atrocious and game ruining? :( or are people just annoyed on the principle of non-basics missing out? it doesnt even excel compared to the tools we already have, its a usually-slightly-worse version of hard charm that makes up for it for also dealing 10 extra damage. not that hard charm is even meta defining in the first place

Last edited:
Seeing these cards, I don't think a 'colress machine' for Break Pokemon, grabbing a basic energy from the deck would be too OP. Golduck breaks the idea too much though, unless that's what they're going for. They need something to make them faster. I just can't see Break not getting support. Why call the set BREAK____ only to give Basics all the love?

Lol it's funny how people is imagining new deck synergies with these new cards, not even knowing what they do!!

M-Tyranitar cannot use this card because it's not Basic.

Seems like a nice attack although it could clog up your bench potentially... Unless Greninja BREAK is super playable, I do not think this will see much play.

>Go second
>Start Froakie
>Play Wally
>Attach [W] Energy
>4 Frogadier
>???
>Profit!

This seems like a really sweet Stage 1, artwork is awesome too. Greninja XY with Greninja BREAK could become a thing, and I'm all for that.

what more can you ask for from a middle evo tbh? seems great. hopefully greninja proves equally good

edit: also this card is so weird and unique- i dont remember seeing an evolution card with only one attack that cant possibly do any damage or even place counters before

Well there already is a Greninja that isn't bad. Poblem has generally been to get them out with enough energy to blast the opponent's Active with. This helps in that regard.

Back