TCG Stories Thread

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Funny thing happened to me. I was fighting a dude on PTCGO and I was using a random Fire deck for a challenge. He's got Noivern up front and building a Mega Gallade on his bench. I have a Charizard-EX up front, one on my bench, and three Delphox on my bench. He proceeds to block my attack four times in a row with Echolocation. I finally hit the tails. He brings up Gallade but then retreats him for a Giratina, who I slaughter. He brings up a Dusclops, hits the Escape Rope, and attacks with Unwavering Blade, killing both Charizard and two out of three Delphox, taking all six prizes with a single attack.

So, anything cool like that happen to you? Share cool/amusing/funny/frustrating TCG stories here.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I've mentioned this before a couple of times but...

A few months ago I was versusing some P-Kyogre/Yveltal with my Blastoise/Water Hybrid. My opponent had taken 5 prize cards and myself 3. My opponent had just started to maul through my deck with P-Kyogres, and taken a single prize card by defeating my Suicune with a Kyurem PLF. Thinking I'd lost [multiple Yveltal and P-Kyogre were powered up], I put my only Pokemon, Squirtle, Active. I note that the only way I could win is deck my opponent out (or make them draw 4 times). So, trying to troll for my unlikely win condition, I attach and energy and flip for Bubble. Heads. My opponent takes a card. Pass. Bubble, heads. Pass. Bubble, heads. Pass. Bubble, heads. Pass. Pass. I win.

Both of us were quite baffled to see my 4 heads in a row - a 6.25% chance. The win granted me the ability to go in the top cut, but I declined thinking "I don't deserve that.". Stupid me. It was an unofficial tournament, so no player points.

asdjklghty

-------------
On PTCGO, I was playing my Trevenant/Seismitoad hybrid for testing and I faced a Virizion deck. He had one energy on the field and I took it off allowing me to use HypnoGym. He conceded immediately saying, "I won't bother with your cancer deck".

Lol. That's how you would describe my deck?

Calzum

Aspiring Trainer
back in like 2011 or whatever i went to my first tournament and as i sat down to play a guy walked in the door, i turned around and it was a teacher at my school, say "Sir" he turns around and goes, oh fudge

hhahahha

Tropizard420

POKÉMON MASTER
there was a tournament a week after the nebraska state championships (which i got top cut) and I faced a guy whom I beat during states. He was playing virgen and i was playing my Yveltal/seismitoad deck. At states he started lone jirachi and lone deoxys both games, and he was looking for revenge. So towards the end of our game, he has 2 prizes left and i have all 6. He has a damaged virizion, 2 head ringered genesects, and a damaged muscle banded genesect. i have a baby yveltal and a darkrai (which i played 1 of both) i build up darkrai and soften things up with my baby yveltal. He knocks it out. I lysandre out the damaged genesect and night spear it, while also taking out the virizion. Tying the game up. All he needs is his tool retriever since I know his g booster is in his hand. He ultra balls and grabs a virizion, his jirachi is prized... cannot skyla. So, he Ns us both down to 2 2 turns in a row and i take my final 2 prizes with my darkrai. He looks for his tool retriever, finding it is bottom card. I was 1 card off from losing when I cut his deck.

Long, I know....

Toro Rosso

Pokemon Racer
I think there was a league challenge and I decided to bring the Fairy Box deck that I was testing before Nationals two years ago. I sat down with my opponent and it was a close battle. Think it was 4 prizes to his 5. He was about to win so I sent up M.Kangaskhan up. Now, he had Yveltal EX at max health with a Muscle Band and my M.Kangaskhan wasn't healthy either so it needed to be a KO to win.

Go all in with Wham Bam Punch, roll for the punch. 1, 2, 3...alright, guaranteed KO, let's keep going until we get tails. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...my opponent was stunned at this stage. 9, 10, 11, tails. I managed to do a whooping 430 damage on that poor EX. My friend who was a judge, watched me do the rolls and was laughing his head off at this stage. Ridiculous, yes. 11 heads in a row is about less than 0.001% chance of happening. And this was without reflips too.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
back in like 2011 or whatever i went to my first tournament and as i sat down to play a guy walked in the door, i turned around and it was a teacher at my school, say "Sir" he turns around and goes, oh frick

hhahahha

This is so much funnier than it should be. Is he one you like, at least?

I don't recall too many funny things. I'm sure there were plenty, but it's been too long to remember.

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
My little brother and I attended our first competitive tournament around, I think the 2011 season. We both came last in our brackets, however he was a junior and there were only 4 players in his division so he ended up in 4th place and earned 4 packs. He packed a Victini FA that day; after all of this time we still have it.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Something from the most recent league challenge I went to, Ryan Moorhouse with Night March against a PGroudon deck. P Groudon was down to two prizes, Ryan had Mew on the bench, and Ryan needed two prizes as well. P Groudon had 30 damage on it, and Ryan had no Muscle Bands left. He had 9 of his Night Marchers in the discard going into the turn. This is turn 2 of overtime.

He manages to start the turn by discarding pretty much all his cards to get one Joltik in the discard. Hits the second basic energy he needs to attack. His hand is down to one card, Scyamore. He uses it and draws his final three cards, a Joltik, a Shaymin-EX, and a Ultra Ball. The last Night Marcher he needs to get the KO and the means to discard it. However, he had no cards in his deck, and you need at least a card in the deck to use Ultra Ball. He was just 10 damage short on the KO.

That was such a close match to watch.

Plasma Dragon

Until the end of time
I was playing my Night March deck at a league challenge a couple months back. My opponent starts while I had a single Joltik active, he puts down Virbank and then lasers me. That was the shortest game of my life >_>

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I was playing my Night March deck at a league challenge a couple months back. My opponent starts while I had a single Joltik active, he puts down Virbank and then lasers me. That was the shortest game of my life >_>
That is actually pretty common with Nightmarch decks. I ran one and lost Turn 1 due to a Laser. I decided from then on I'm always going first with Nightmarch.

Plasma Dragon

Until the end of time
That is actually pretty common with Nightmarch decks. I ran one and lost Turn 1 due to a Laser. I decided from then on I'm always going first with Nightmarch.
Yeah and if I have a Pumkaboo then I will put him up there to you know like to take a hit :p

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
2014 Nationals, Round 8
I am playing Virizion-EX/Genesect-EX, my opponent is playing Yveltal-EX/Darkrai-EX
So far, it is game 2 with me winning game one.
My turn: Virizion-EX active, Genesect-EX on bench, attach grass to active and pass.
His turn: Used up some resources, attached to Baby Yveltal and used Oblivion Wing putting an energy on a benched Yveltal-EX.
My turn: Used Professor Juniper into another grass energy and attach it to Virizion-EX. I use Emerald Slash and start to dig my deck for 2 Grass Energy.
Here's where it gets interesting.
I see (as I'm searching my deck) that my opponent is shuffling his deck. I start to ask my opponent what he's doing and he said "You are playing N right?" I realize that he thought when I said Emerald Slash, I said N. As I had played N turn 1, and Juniper the next turn, I have no idea how he thought I said N. I even said the full name of the attack, not just 'Emerald' or 'Slash' or tapped the Virizion-EX without speaking. I had to call over a judge as my opponent had no hand from shuffling his cards into his deck. Obviously, he got a game loss and I won the series. It was a terrible way to win, but it was the funniest way that I've won a game thus far.

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
2014 Nationals, Round 8
I am playing Virizion-EX/Genesect-EX, my opponent is playing Yveltal-EX/Darkrai-EX
So far, it is game 2 with me winning game one.
My turn: Virizion-EX active, Genesect-EX on bench, attach grass to active and pass.
His turn: Used up some resources, attached to Baby Yveltal and used Oblivion Wing putting an energy on a benched Yveltal-EX.
My turn: Used Professor Juniper into another grass energy and attach it to Virizion-EX. I use Emerald Slash and start to dig my deck for 2 Grass Energy.
Here's where it gets interesting.
I see (as I'm searching my deck) that my opponent is shuffling his deck. I start to ask my opponent what he's doing and he said "You are playing N right?" I realize that he thought when I said Emerald Slash, I said N. As I had played N turn 1, and Juniper the next turn, I have no idea how he thought I said N. I even said the full name of the attack, not just 'Emerald' or 'Slash' or tapped the Virizion-EX without speaking. I had to call over a judge as my opponent had no hand from shuffling his cards into his deck. Obviously, he got a game loss and I won the series. It was a terrible way to win, but it was the funniest way that I've won a game thus far.
I played a guy at a cities one year who used ultra ball without speaking. He discarded an N, but placed it and the other discarded card on TOP of the ultra ball. Needless to say I assumed he had played the N and began to shuffle my deck. Auto loss, and I sulked for the rest of the day because I had just lost in a favorable match-up.

DevinTheWelf

A Mach Punch User
Was at a league challenge playing against a Plasma Klinklang deck. I was playing my Primal Groudon deck, but this was before Mega Turbo came out. As you could imagine this was a very slow match, and a very frustrating one for me. Not only could I not use EX's, but I couldn't use Strong Energy thanks to Aegislash EX. I had a few Silent lab, but I couldn't really get around the Klinklang. It just so happened one of my Lysandre's were prized and I didn't get it until VERY late game. At one point the Klinglang was up in the active spot and I drew into my Lysandre. The Aegislash EX was on the bench and I had Silent Lab in play. For SOME reason my extremely tired self said "hey, I can Lysandre the Aegislash up and KO it with Primal Groudon, noice". I did as I thought and only second later did I remember about Klinklang. I dropped my cards on the table and said that I folded. Even thought this was only game one I filled out my slip and walked off to my buddy, told him that I was going to take and nap and to wake me up when the next matches were posted. Pretty crap day.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
One time when I was running an M-Ray variant against a fire deck, I drew all three Rayquaza EX in my starting hand. It didn't do me much good, though, because I quickly ran out of Energy and stalled. My opponent had no such problem, however. He attached Energy after Energy to one of his Camerupt EX and wiped out two of my M-Rays before I had a chance to even draw the Energy I needed to power Emerald Break. Luckily for me, on my next turn, I drew a Tierno (this was now the only card in my hand). I played it, hoping to get something good. I did. Skyfield, Roller Skates, and Shaymin EX. You can guess what I did next. With a full Bench, I had to play Skyfield first, then Shaymin, then Roller Skates. I got tails on the RS attempt, but fortunately I got two basics from Shaymin. Knocking out his Camerupt seemed to be a bad idea at first, what with his M-Charizard on the Bench. But I asked him how many Energy he had attached. He looked; three. Unless he had a DCE and drew it, it wouldn't be attacking. So I proceeded to KO his Camerupt. Prize count was now: me - 2, him -4. He brought up his M-Char, obviously hoping to draw a DCE. He didn't. Not wanting to discard another Energy to retreat, he passed. Draw a card. Didn't matter what it was. I KO'd his M-Char. His turn. At this point I knew I was going to win. I was wrong. He drew a Blacksmith. With 3 Energy already on his second Camerupt. Bam, five Energy. KOs my M-Ray for game.

Sorry for long story xD.

Chipadat

Garchomp Lover
I was at a league challenge and I was playing Toadpuff and my opponent was playing Gengar/Trevennant. I started with a Swirlix, he started with a Phantump. I went first and got the Laserbank out and passed. He literally couldn't do anything and lost the game.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I ran a budget Cinccino deck on the TCGO(Funny how it won me more games than anything)
and i went up against a Mega Charizard deck. i dominated it, until the very end, when i was at one Pokemon left-A clear humming altaria. XD
And i had no energy in hand, nothing. I thought it was over for me.

That is, until i drew a DCE. Used wing attack, and KO'd the charizard, winning the game.
I had never won a more glorious match, against all odds. and, to make things better, i got a pack from the prize wheel and pulled a FA ray, which i am using in ym deck right now.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
I was playing a M-Ray deck at league with my Manectrics, managed to get him down to 2 prizes when he realised that the only way he could win was if the last card in his deck was Lysandre's Trump Card.

It was.

I raged.