Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
I really hoped we would move away from the EX meta and towards a meta, where playing stage 2 Pokémon is a tactic which isn't instant lose. :(
I'm really annoyed and bored by all those Pokémon EX we got, we already got them now since 3 seasons in a row and will get them 2 more at least, I assume.
Let's hope at least for a drastical cut this time after worlds!
And a more clear meta.

Now about the cards themself:

Hoopa EX will be used for its ability and then just given the AZ treatment. :p
The attack itself is okay, but no support really around for using it.
But its a bit like Jirachi EX and will get a 1-off search slot.

Lugia EX is just really nice, but kinda a rework of Mewtwo EX, but it will get its own deck soon!
150 damage for just a stadium in play? Why not! And you can even remove opponents stadiums!

Kyurem EX, really? We got not every legendary as an EX yet and we get a third Kyurem? :/
The attacks are decent, nothing insane, nothing too bad.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
I really hoped we would move away from the EX meta and towards a meta, where playing stage 2 Pokémon is a tactic which isn't instant lose. :(
I'm really annoyed and bored by all those Pokémon EX we got, we already got them now since 3 seasons in a row and will get them 2 more at least, I assume.
Let's hope at least for a drastical cut this time after worlds!
And a more clear meta.

Now about the cards themself:

Hoopa EX will be used for its ability and then just given the AZ treatment. :p
The attack itself is okay, but no support really around for using it.
But its a bit like Jirachi EX and will get a 1-off search slot.

Lugia EX is just really nice, but kinda a rework of Mewtwo EX, but it will get its own deck soon!
150 damage for just a stadium in play? Why not! And you can even remove opponents stadiums!

Kyurem EX, really? We got not every legendary as an EX yet and we get a third Kyurem? :/
The attacks are decent, nothing insane, nothing too bad.

Stage 2's mainly suck at the moment due to Item Lock from Seismitoad. Something like the ROS Beautifly is super awesome, but without Rare Candy it's a three turn set up and an extra however many Stage 1s to ensure consistency. If you could rely on Rare Candy, you can save a lot of deck space. Wally somewhat helps, but then you start to lock down item based draw.

Beautifly is pretty unique though in being a "Safeguard" Pokemon that isn't shut down by Silent Lab, has better HP than the others, and has a decent damage attack with a somewhat useful effect. It's just stage 2 and it's so liable for that alone.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
The problem with stage 2 Pokémon is, they're way too slow, when compared to EX.
EX are slabbed on the board and already dominant, with high HP and powerful attacks, you don't need to get the basic, stage 1 or rare candy and stage 2. :/
You need way more space/slots in your deck, which in a deck focused on Pokémon EX you can instead use to even more balance the strategy!

Hooper EX can search for another Hooper EX... *LOL*
So, if you like, you can play Hooper Ex, search 2 EX and Hooper EX, play it, search again and so on, with an AZ you can search for up to 12 Pokémon EX on one turn.
But would be kinda bad move. ;)

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I can only see 2 Hoopa max being used in a deck - it sits on the bench and does next to nothing after the ability. I guess the 170HP helps, but the retreat cost still hinders it. In RayMin at least it'll be used to pull out the deck's components quickly, I think.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Updated Hoopa-EX's translation. Bandit Ring appears to exclude Hoopa-EX from the search.

King of Dragons

I just hang around for reasons
Is it just me or do he EX's look more "cartoony"? The Weather Trio EX's all look like this as well. For me I personally love this but still very strange.
Plus these cards make me think they might be going back to the complex meta.

Reggie McGigas

-
Lugia EX is going to be an opalicious deck with all the roaring skies colorless stuff we got. Wionna and Lugia EX would be great.

Another Kyurem EX. First of all why do we get a nother Kyurem EX. Second of aall, why don't they make it dragon? 3 Water Kyurem EXs....sigh. At least the artwork looks awesome.

Hoopa EX, nothing special. Good ability though.

Hoping we see Suicune EX, Regirock EX, Regice EX, and Arceus EX.

Frosty

Bleh.
going by what legendary Pokemon appear in the trailer, we're missing Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, Ggiratina, and Latias ex

whirlpoolm51

Aspiring Trainer
going by what legendary Pokemon appear in the trailer, we're missing Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, Ggiratina, and Latias ex
There not going to put each and every legendary from the movie in this set hahaha i bet we get one more legendary and then the rest are going to be non legendary. There are a total of 11 ex's in this set according to amiami so were missing 8 , minus 3 megas ( whatever they will be) so 5 more basic ex plus the megas.

9Tailz

the human embodiment of garbodor
I really hope Kyurem's attack name remains Icecalibur. I mean, that's a great name. Hoopa's art is fantastic; I'm loving the new styles they're using for the EX cards rather than just the boring 3D looking stuff.

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
On one hand I cannot wait to see a new Lugia full art, on the other hand I cannot wait to not see another Kyurem Full Art taking the spot of a better deserved Pokemon.

Maybe well get lucky and Kyurem is like a promo with no full art....I hope... Although to be fair the original full art from Next Destinies was kind of ugly so maybe this one will look better? Hopefully it's not filled with too many duplicate Pokemon ex's though. I'd rather see more regular Pokemon ex's as well as legendaries who haven't had an ex like Suicune or Arceus or even another Meloetta.

The Dude

He was the very best, that no one ever was...
Very creative (sarcasm). Even Hoopa's bandit ring is a repeat of Dark Dragonite.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I hope again that one of our megas is M. Latias EX. Serebii.net just said that both M. Latios and M. Latias are going to be in this movie, so that make this one more likely if Ancient Origins is based around the new movie.

I want to see more of the set though, I don't want to make a judgement on it based on one brand new card and two new cards based on EX's we already have a version or two of.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Very creative (sarcasm). Even Hoopa's bandit ring is a repeat of Dark Dragonite.
Well you know, in like 20 years of TCG and tons of sets/cards it is obvious that something is going to repeat, but I also don't think that they copied Dark Dragonite's ability on purpose.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Well you know, in like 20 years of TCG and tons of sets/cards it is obvious that something is going to repeat, but I also don't think that they copied Dark Dragonite's ability on purpose.

The ability is diffrent!
Hooper searches 3 cards and only EX and on the other hand Dragonite searches for 2 basics and puts them directly on the bench and if your bench is full, he can't search!

Ofc a cardgame is repeating something or taking inspiration by old, fanfavorit cards!
Just look at the "mother of it all" Magic the Gathering, they kinda "reprint" cards over and over. ;)