What Can Be Done to Improve PokeBeach Forums?

Gale said:
PMJ hit the nail on the head. We need to reward our competent TCG players who have proven they do well at tournaments. At this point, to my knowledge, this includes Zero, Celebi23, and arguably me (I'm not fishing for any kind of reward). If there's someone else, speak up.

I agree with the ones you listed (and you). And I suppose my States wins and Regional cuts don't count, but whatever.

Gliscor said:
I agree with the ones you listed (and you). And I suppose my States wins and Regional cuts don't count, but whatever.

I wasn't even aware of that. That counts as well :p

omahanime said:
Please elaborate what is gained by that.

Gale said:
-MORE COMMUNICATION BETWEEN STAFF AND MEMBERS. None of this silly "This guy was demodded because he was" or "This change is happening because I said it is and that's final" stuff. Members should know if a project is happening, and what they can do to help with it.

Gale pretty much explained it already. We should know what's going on, and maybe get involved, and then maybe we won't start accusing mods of doing nothing. We don't exactly have anything to go by to see that you're working on things.

I didn't mean it like this:

MOD APPLICATION

1. Did you win worlds or nats?

_ yes
_ no

If you checked yes, go on to question 2
If you checked no, don't call us, we'll call you

Winning _any_ tournament is okay. I don't know how big states is up the tournament ladder but what I would be looking for is those who do have good performances in tournaments (consistent wins or top cuts are always nice).

PMJ said:
Winning _any_ tournament is okay. I don't know how big states is up the tournament ladder but what I would be looking for is those who do have good performances in tournaments (consistent wins or top cuts are always nice).

Battle Roads
Cities
States
Regionals
Nationals
Worlds

From lowest to highest.

PMJ said:

Oh, well in that case, I guess I fit that mold. You can mod me now (oh wait...).

and btw, States is a fairly substantial tournament (the first of the "big" tournaments of the year) with around 7 round and a top 16 cut at most.

Gliscor said:

BUT WASN'T THAT IN SENIORS??? /me runs

In seriousness, those wins should reflect in your recent articles though. The EP review sorta missed on some aspects especially on Beartic lol.

omahanime said:
Please elaborate what is gained by that.

It's something a lot of members would gain as well. You're making it sound like it's a hassle for you guys because it sounds like extra work. Think of it in the long run, more transparency means less angry/whining members, less of those animosity, more productivity.

Riskbreakers said:
BUT WASN'T THAT IN SENIORS?? /me runs

In seriousness, those wins should reflect in your recent articles though. The EP review sorta missed on some aspects especially on Beartic lol.

Yeah =P

The EP article was trash admittedly. I don't feel like looking back at it, but didn't I call like Beartic an OK card and Gothitelle a card that wouldn't see much play? If so, god was I wrong.

I'm seeing a lot of members agreeing on the points I've been making. I'd like to see something from the smods pertaining to them agreeing as well, and some kind of promise that action will be taken for some of these. If nothing else, I'd like to see an smod say there will be more communication between members and mods, and no more of this stupid secrecy stuff. That's always been a problem on PokeBeach.

This thread has already had one positive result. Darkvoid57 have volunteered to step up and help out on a neglected topic.

Thank You Darkvoid57

I belong to a historical society. In the magazine they list a series of topics that need information for or writers of. Is that what some of you are asking for?

Gale, you know I'm on board for changes. I'm just listening to what people have to say here.

omahanime said:
I belong to a historical society. In the magazine they list a series of topics that need information for or writers of. Is that what some of you are asking for?

I'm assuming you mean what topics that people want to write about, but can you explain?

I'm all for a list of projects and topics that need work/writing on being put out there for the members to talk about and submit proposals for.

I'm glad that this thread came up. As everyone seems to have already stated, it would be nice to see the most talented TCG players become staff, it was nice to see people like Zero and Amt in moderator positions a while back, because people like them can provide the most knowledge, and straight forward advice regarding strategy and decks. I would agree that there is some inactive staff right now, but I am not going to point fingers, because I have no idea what they do behind the scenes.

Does the staff think we cannot handle the truth? Why is information withheld from us? The fact is, communication between the staff and the members is key to fostering a good relationship and keeping the atmosphere friendly. There is no reason why information should be kept from the public eye. We deserve to know what is going on, we deserve to know why people are modded and demodded. You say it is none of our business, but I disagree. If I am being moderated by someone, I deserve to know what qualifies them. The same goes for if they are demodded, I have a right to know why someone who previously had power over me has been stripped of said power. There is no shame in admitting mistakes. If the staff misjudged someone JUST TELL US, hiding it will only cause more problems, gossip, and etc.

I have to commend Shining Raikou for his latest push to improve the site and for giving us a heads up on the "removal" of several forums prior to doing so.
- - - -
Gaming communities:

Most people seem to be focusing on experience. There is a flaw with that. We will never attract new members with the "skilled players only" mindset. If you'll recall, I doubt any of you could talk or walk right after you were born. Did your mother say: "This child is terrible, I'll neglect it."? (Hopefully that wasn't the case.) My point is, we need to cater to new players as well as experienced players. Having TCG and VG tutoring is something we can do to help new players. Really, the experienced players should help new players, not shun them because they are inexperienced. If we want to grow a competitive community, we can't just wave a magic wand to make everyone experienced, it doesn't work that way. We have to start from the ground up, turning newbies into pros.

And if we can have a friendly community with a large population of experienced players from both aspects of Pokémon (TCG and VG), that puts us way above other sites like Smogon that only focus on either TCG or VG. Not to mention those sites are usually very elitist.

One thing to add during a list of stuff to add in the forums is probably some discussion before nuking said sub-forums or any major forum changes. Everything was done in such short notice and lack of clear explanation as to why it was being done was the cause of the uproar from last week. Discussion and compromise between staff-members would be nice to at least say that the members were aware of the changes because we have to admit, Pokebeach isn't about the staff, it's about the members and interacting with each other for our interest in Pokemon.

BTW Gale, add VG to the list that we need competent mods. It's not like it's only the TCG that needs help.

SPM3, look at one of my previous posts. I was preaching about balance. There should be a balance between the hard workers and the experienced people. Same goes with the articles. There should be a balance on the content we should be giving to the public. Some should be geared to the advanced and some should be given to the beginners.

SPM3 said:
Most people seem to be focusing on experience. There is a flaw with that. We will never attract new members with the "skilled players only" mindset. If you'll recall, I doubt any of you could talk or walk right after you were born. Did your mother say: "This child is terrible, I'll neglect it."? (Hopefully that wasn't the case.) My point is, we need to cater to new players as well as experienced players. Having TCG and VG tutoring is something we can do to help new players. Really, the experienced players should help new players, not shun them because they are inexperienced. If we want to grow a competitive community, we can't just wave a magic wand to make everyone experienced, it doesn't work that way. We have to start from the ground up, turning newbies into pros.

Personally, it'd be better to have friendly staff that aren't pros, but aren't horrible either rather than just pros. I can say from personal experience that not all good players are nice or polite, rather being stuck up, snotty and over-confident (pun intended). Not saying any of our good players are that, but it's just an issue that is quite present.

Friendly Mods who Care > Pro's

Although if the better players that we have here can be both, by all means go ahead.

^A new player who comes here and reads well thought-out posts made by players who understand the game will learn from those posts and get better at the game. If a new player comes here and reads a bunch of posts made by other new players, they'll never get better or understand the game. In the competitive community, 'Beach is just considered a noob magnet and for the most part they're right. Anything that can be done to change that should be done in my opinion.

Furthermore, I've gotten a couple PMs from new players asking for help in the past few weeks. I know the changes aren't fully in effect yet, but so far I haven't seen any decrease in the number of people joining or overall posts being made.

Ninja'd twice :(

Celebi23 made a good point. Activity is not going to slow down. And since the groups and games will be gone, activity will switch over to focus more on VG and TCG.
That was the general idea I think behind the changes, so I hope it works out.

I cannot stress ENOUGH how much I think we need VG tutoring to come back. I support this 100%.
But it needs to be done right, so I would love that to be discussed.

Back