What Can Be Done to Improve PokeBeach Forums?

Riskbreakers said:
We don't even hear the reasons as to why certain mods are demodded
Half the time is because they resigned or were busy/inactive.
If it is not one of those, then it's no ones' business. You can always PM the mod in question.

Riskbreakers said:
@Shadow Lugia

You don't get it. Gale is pointing out that those mods who don't post are also the ones who are slacking off. Look at the list that he gave of moderators who don't post. They all have a common denominator. People don't know why the hell are they still moderators. Please, don't also give the excuse that "they are busy with life" because if the moderator knew that he would be busy with his personal life, he should at least have the decency to resign because his slot as a moderator could have been given to someone else who is more deserving.

You don't get it. Just because someone is posting does not mean they are looking at threads or doing their jobs. Being visible does not always mean doing work, in fact that could mean they are not working. Anyone can post and be a leader, but I want someone who is willing to get into the trenches and do the thankless dirty work.

Gale called out Shakespeare. Yes, Shakespeare may not post a lot, but he is providing content by high quality scans and adding them to threads.

omahanime said:
You don't get it. Just because someone is posting does not mean they are looking at threads or doing their jobs. Being visible does not always mean doing work, in fact that could mean they are not working. Anyone can post and be a leader, but I want someone who is willing to get into the trenches and do the thankless dirty work.

Gale called out Shakespeare. Yes, Shakespeare may not post a lot, but he is providing content by high quality scans and adding them to threads.

Couldn't Shakespeare do that if he wasn't a mod? Why does he need mod powers to do that? He provided scans before he was a mod.

Gale said:
Couldn't Shakespeare do that if he wasn't a mod? Why does he need mod powers to do that? He provided scans before he was a mod.

But he could not go into the promo thread and add the scans as he his doing.

omahanime said:

Another problem being is that there are so many of these people, people who'd be willing to do a ton of stuff for the site including the "thankless dirty work" but it just seems as if you guys are overlooking them. So many people care about the forum and would be willing to help to such great extents, but they just get overlooked.

:/

omahanime said:
But he could not go into the promo thread and add the scans as he his doing.

He does one thing. That honestly doesn't seem like he deserves to be a mod. Myself, bacon, and a lot of other former mods have talked about this and agreed that we worked hard to become moderators, and we worked hard while we were moderators. It's insulting and frustrating to see over a dozen mods who only had to apply to become a mod, and while they're a mod hardly do anything. Shakespeare edits a thread and adds scans. Okay. Great. He can get someone to do that for him. Someone who does things other than edits a thread. No disrespect to Shakespeare or anyone. But if all he does is edit a thread as part of his duties as being a moderator, then it means literally NOTHING to be a moderator, and that insults me and other moderators who worked very hard for the website.

omahanime said:

Your post is basically saying that you guys treat moderator spots like candy or something you give to those who do stuff on the front page/trivial things on the forums even if they don't post in the forums that much.

So you're also defending that the ones Gale called out may not be active but they are doing their jobs? I haven't seen any of them do anything in weeks. The Community Team #1 thread is a VG thread but why don't I see the "head" post and give his contribution. It's because he is inactive and not doing his job. How are they doing the thankless dirty work if they're not even online in the first place?

Unless those mods that Gale called out actually do work, it's really hard for you to say that "I don't get it" because

a) Those mods called out are inactive
b) They aren't doing moderation.

As in they are never the ones that are asked to help, if that makes any sense. These people want to help, they dont care for thanks or if it's dirty work or whatever, but as Omahanime said, he needs those kind of people, yet those people are never noticed or asked to do the things that have to be accomplished.

Darkvoid57 said:
Dictionary is ok, but that's more to attract new players and isn't amazing for current members/the majority of the TCG players we already have. Articles, meh, we have those already. The more the merrier, I guess.

In order to improve the TCG Community, we need to have more members. Hate to say this, but other TCG players shy away from PB. With this in mind, the best way to get more TCG members is to bring in newer ones. This is where the TCG Dictionary comes in. How is someone going to try to get into the game when they don't know what things like "Consistency" or "Consistency". Once they get into the game, then the articles become important, in order to try to improve the skill of the newer players. We don't have nearly enough articles as we should, so I can't really say we have any right now (they're gonna outdated soon anyways, so more needs to come in).

-Don't "replace" moderators. We should focus on having less mods than we do now, not more.

THANK YOU.

We should really be focusing on making the mods better at running the place, not making new ones.

Balance is a big thing. This is for the TCG

-Balance between hard-workers and experienced winners.

Right now, our TCG has some hard-workers but lacks winning experience. Hire mods that have winning experience and could be vital in editing articles that will sound more credible and professional

-Balance between the audiences targetted for articles.

Now I know we want to gear towards the more experienced player but we should still not ignore the newer playerbase and have articles that they can read without getting confused with the terms. A more detailed version of the "rulebook" would be nice here. Add strategies during every phase of the game to guide them,

-

Riskbreakers said:
Anyway, Gale is right on transparency between mods and members. We don't even hear the reasons as to why certain mods are demodded.

The forums need to add moderators who are more credible in their areas and have been proven to have a good system in making their forum of responsibility a success. Look at our list of TCG mods, no offense to any of them because some of them like Gliscor is a very hard worker and that's what we need but most lack the "winning" experience.

1.) Do all of the customers at Wendy's get informed about why a manager was fired or a worker quit? No. Because it is none of their business. Same thing here. It is also not our job to tell why mods were demodded. If they want to tell (in a private message or something of the sort), then that is their choice.

2.) Just because a mod isn't necessarily a "pro player" doesn't mean that they're not a good mod. We have some mods who are fairly good players, and some who aren't but all of the mods on the TCG staff are there because they're good at doing the job that they're here to do.

Also, I'm pretty sure that a lot of you guys who are calling out some of the mods who you think don't do anything don't have any clue what goes on behind the scenes. Heck, I don't even fully know what all goes on here but I don't question it. I know that everyone on the staff is there for a reason and I'll let WPM run his site how he wants to.

What is Pokebeach's biggest problem, on both the TCG and VG fronts? Competent players. As a competitive TCG site we are laughed at by Pokegym, who has support from TPCi or whoever it is that runs the show. How many moderators--how many members--have we ever had that have won something bigger than a low-level tournament? You could probably count that number on one hand.

As a competitive VG site we are laughed at by Smogon, who has a much more established and respected player base. We did have a handful of good players but they all left due to frustration with how things were being handled.

Pokebeach lacks that core of players who both know what they're talking about, have the record to back it up, and the willingness to stay and deal with new people who have no idea what they're doing.

Articles help, but they're not everything. No matter how much you polish a dog turd, it's still a dog turd. If the articles are written by lackluster players, and we post them saying they're good, what does that say about our community?

Once we are able to reel in some talent (or find some here - if you're a skilled player, by all means, speak up, and be prepared to prove it), then we can start working towards making this place better.

Darkvoid57 said:
As in they are never the ones that are asked to help, if that makes any sense. These people want to help, they don't care for thanks or if it's dirty work or whatever, but as Omahanime said, he needs those kind of people, yet those people are never noticed or asked to do the things that have to be accomplished.

If you are willing to help out in my section, I would appreciate the help and acknowledge the thread. I do not know if that is enough for you.

ESP said:
Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys who are calling out some of the mods who you think don't do anything don't have any clue what goes on behind the scenes. Heck, I don't even fully know what all goes on here but I don't question it.

That there is one of the problems. Members should know what mods are working on.

ESP said:
1.) Do all of the customers at Wendy's get informed about why a manager was fired or a worker quit? No. Because it is none of their business. Same thing here. It is also not our job to tell why mods were demodded. If they want to tell (in a private message or something of the sort), then that is their choice.

2.) Just because a mod isn't necessarily a "pro player" doesn't mean that they're not a good mod. We have some mods who are fairly good players, and some who aren't but all of the mods on the TCG staff are there because they're good at doing the job that they're here to do.

Also, I'm pretty sure that a lot of you guys who are calling out some of the mods who you think don't do anything don't have any clue what goes on behind the scenes. Heck, I don't even fully know what all goes on here but I don't question it. I know that everyone on the staff is there for a reason and I'll let WPM run his site how he wants to.

Dude, the site wants to gear towards experienced players already. Think of it as a restaurant. Say you are a customer and you are given two options of a restaurant. One is run by someone who just graduated from culinary school and the other is run by someone who has Michelin Stars. Ignoring the price tag, where would you go if you want a better tasting meal?

My hunger for food aside, the point was, if this site was to cater to the more experienced players, we should at least have moderators who are pros. This is why Pokebeach has the nametag of "stay for the community, not for the competitive".

Also, some restaurants, if you know their owner or manager well enough, you could actually ask them why they fired someone like your "favorite waiter" and get a decent answer. Most of the time when we ask, all we get is an implied "fudge Off".

PMJ hit the nail on the head. We need to reward our competent TCG players who have proven they do well at tournaments. At this point, to my knowledge, this includes Zero, Celebi23, and arguably me (I'm not fishing for any kind of reward). If there's someone else, speak up.

Again, I can't stress enough the need for open communication between mods and members. If you're opposed to this, then I have no idea what to say to you.

omahanime said:
Please elaborate what is gained by that.

Transparency and at least the members know that certain mods are actually doing something rather than complain that so and so mod are slackers and are doing jack squat.

Back