Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

Pokebeach has actually made a neat little list of tiers, which you can find here. If you got any questions, just respond in the appropriate deck thread or respond here.

Pokebeach has actually made a neat little list of tiers, which you can find here. If you got any questions, just respond in the appropriate deck thread or respond here.
Like I said, the tier seems to be a little confusing, for exemple, there are some people saying that M Sceptile/Sceptile Ex is a tier 1 deck, but here in pokebeach it's a Tier 3 deck. I asked for help because of this, I'm confused with the tier lists

Tiers can vary quite significantly, and often do not support other similar tiers. I'd say that the moderators of that forum would have done analysing themselves, possibly with some top TCG players, and tiered the decks as appropriate. If you've been hearing the general population say that M-Sceptile is a Tier 1 deck, it is more than likely a result of overhype. Basically, I'd rely on PB's tiers over what the everyday member says.

Well, I think I've found an Expanded deck for myself (probably Night March or some Yveltal ex variant), but I'm having trouble finding a good Standard deck that really fits the bill. Are there any good fast, aggressive decks in Standard right now?

Hello Pokebeach members,

I will be attending my second ever Leauge Challenge on Friday and I'm having a rough time deciding on which deck to play.

This is my first season competing and I'm not sure how quickly players change decks from LC to LC. To put my dilemma in perspective; my first LC a few weeks back I took 5th at my first LC playing Vespiquen/Dugtrio losing once to M Manectric/Regice and again to a straight Metal deck.

Players in my area seem to favor the following decks:
Manectric variants
Toad Yvetal
Giratina in small doses
And I heard rumblings at the last LC I attended of Vespiquen players who had lost talking of switching to Mega Ray and/or Pyroar/Archeops.

What would be the decks you would consider playing taking into account the possibility of facing these decks?

Decks I have built and tested extensively for expanded:
1. Vespiquen/ Flareon PLF. Tech: Leafeon PLF. (Auto loss: speed Giratina and or Vileplume Giratina)

2. Medicham, Hawlucha, Lucario EX (great matchup against Manectric and Yvetal. Still 50/50 against Archeops. Auto loss to Toad Bats).

3. M Gardevoir, Hoopa & Lugia EX
(I fear running into night March and Archies Blastoise with this deck. Auto loss to Metal.)

I'm open to other deck options. To be clear I'm not looking for advice on my deck lists but rather, which deck you would consider has the most favorable odds considering recent regionals results and the list of decks people seem to play locally. Any advice or constructive criticism is appreciated.

Well, I think I've found an Expanded deck for myself (probably Night March or some Yveltal ex variant), but I'm having trouble finding a good Standard deck that really fits the bill. Are there any good fast, aggressive decks in Standard right now?

Vespiquen is a very fast and aggressive deck that's tier one as of right now and works almost identical to Flareon PLF. Another good fast deck would probably be M. Rayquaza as it impliments Shaymin-EX with Skyfield to quickly burn through the deck and hit for high numbers.

If you'd like to know a bit more about the set up of these decks, feel free to message me or check out the Metagame Discussion area about these decks.

I hope this helps.

Vancouver Regionals is this saturday. I have two decks. One loses terribly to Vespiqueen but beats Toad/Giratina, the other loses to Toad/Giratina but beats Vespiqueen. Which one do you predict to be the most popular? The wrong choice could screw me over.

Hi,

I already have a Sceptile EX/Ariados deck, but now I want one more competitive and if possible without Shaymin EX.
I was thiking in a Primal Groudon or a Bronzong Tech deck, which one is better?(Remembering without Shaymin EX).
Are there competitives decks without Shaymin EX or decks to counter it? If they exist, what are they?

Obs.:Standard format

Thanks

Hey party peoples, Gengar here with a question. What should I play for cities? This will be for the senior division and I have seen that the majority of the meta in my state is Vespiquen, Gengar, and Seismitoad Giratina. I have devised a list of decks that have neutral matchups and good matchups with the decks.

M Manectric-EX (Aegislash, Wobbufett, really anything right now.)
Tyrantrum Giratina
Metal Ray
Yveltal

Please give me more suggestions and reasonings, I get that many of you may not reply because this senior meta.
Thanks again ~OvO~

Sincerely Gengar

Well, I still haven't found a Standard deck that really fits me (and it's not for not trying). Fast and aggressive just seems to get me knocked out a lot (and Rayquaza EX and Vespiquen decks are too unstable IMO); are there any decks in Standard that rely a lot on mobility and audacious moves to win?

I'm wanting to get into competitive play so what decks should I play in expanded and standard. Shaymin is probably not a problem, but try not to give me decks that run 4 unless they are absolutely awesome.

I'm wanting to get into competitive play so what decks should I play in expanded and standard. Shaymin is probably not a problem, but try not to give me decks that run 4 unless they are absolutely awesome.

Hi dkatz! Glad to see you're interested in competitive play. :)

If you're looking for a full list of popular decks in both formats, the Metagame Deck Discussion forum has threads for all the top decks in each format, each including skeleton deck lists and discussions. Of those decks I can suggest a few in particular to start out with.

In Standard I would recommend either Vespiquen or M Manectric-EX. Both decks are high tier competitors that aren't particularly difficult to play, and both aren't particularly expensive; they only use 2-3 Shaymin-EX.

Vespiquen is a very fun, consistent, cheap deck that will probably stay competitive for a little while. It uses cards like Battle Compressor, Ultra Ball, and Professor Sycamore to discard a bunch of Pokemon, then do high damage with Bee Revenge. However, there are a few complicated concepts you'll need to understand about the deck to play it effectively.

M Manectric-EX is much simpler to play and is quite powerful in the current metagame. You simply attach Energy to Manectrics and use Turbo Bolt to power up varied attackers, or other Manectric. It can be played alongside an array of alternate attackers. It is more expensive to build though.

In Expanded Vespiquen/Flareon (same idea as Vespiquen) is very strong, but is similarly difficult to play. Another deck worth considering in Expanded is Yveltal-EX. It uses several Basic Darkness Pokemon like Yveltal-EX, Yveltal, and Darkrai-EX along with Dark Patch to power them up for quick, high damage attacks. Other cards like Hypnotoxic Laser and Seismitoad-EX give the deck a lot of options in many situations. The deck is fairly easy to understand, although a bit difficult to play at top level tournament play.

You can find more info on these decks in the Metagame Deck Discussion forum.

I hope this post was helpful! Feel free to ask me any more questions. :)

I come to everyone...frustrated.
I am not new to the game, but I am new to this format. I have no idea what direction to go in for a deck, but I know for sure that A.) I would like it to be Expanded so I can play at my Local Tournament and B.) I only have around 40-50 to spend on it. I have EVERYTHING USEFUL for Expanded that is NON-Pokemon with the exception of a couple stadiums (Dimension Valley, Rough Seas) and Super Scoop Up, but those are easy for me to obtain. My main issue is a direction, especially because I know somehow, some way, 35 is going to have to go to Shaymin EX (unless you awesome individuals have a solution).

Thank you guys. It has been a very rough day for me today and I hope it can get better overall soon enough.

I come to everyone...frustrated.
I am not new to the game, but I am new to this format. I have no idea what direction to go in for a deck, but I know for sure that A.) I would like it to be Expanded so I can play at my Local Tournament and B.) I only have around 40-50 to spend on it. I have EVERYTHING USEFUL for Expanded that is NON-Pokemon with the exception of a couple stadiums (Dimension Valley, Rough Seas) and Super Scoop Up, but those are easy for me to obtain. My main issue is a direction, especially because I know somehow, some way, 35 is going to have to go to Shaymin EX (unless you awesome individuals have a solution).

Thank you guys. It has been a very rough day for me today and I hope it can get better overall soon enough.

Hi Asmer!

There are actually a few decks in Expanded that don't utilize Shaymin-EX. The main two being Groudon and Donphan. I will admit, these decks are not super high tier, but if they are used by a skillful player or in the right matchup, they are quite powerful. You could buy either of these decks for 40-50 if you already have the Trainers.

If you don't like either of these decks, most other decks can play other draw cards instead of Shaymin, including Jirachi-EX, which can be Ultra Ball'd for, similar to Shaymin. It's not optimal, but it's not easy to get an optimal decks for $50 unfortunately.

I hope this was helpful!

Hi Asmer!

There are actually a few decks in Expanded that don't utilize Shaymin-EX. The main two being Groudon and Donphan. I will admit, these decks are not super high tier, but if they are used by a skillful player or in the right matchup, they are quite powerful. You could buy either of these decks for 40-50 if you already have the Trainers.

If you don't like either of these decks, most other decks can play other draw cards instead of Shaymin, including Jirachi-EX, which can be Ultra Ball'd for, similar to Shaymin. It's not optimal, but it's not easy to get an optimal decks for $50 unfortunately.

I hope this was helpful!
Thank you! I will have to look in to both more. I played a Donphan variant last year before the price spike, so I am familiar with his style. Will most likely aim for that.

Most of the cards for the Yveltal archetype isn't too expensive. This is going slightly beyond your budget, but you can generally pick up promo Yveltal-EX and Darkrai-EX for a few dollars each, and Yveltal XY is even cheaper. Any other Poekon you decide to run is just a tech. These are the core Pokemon of the deck, with anything else As you mentioned you have non-Pokemon staples, I am under the assumption that you already have Dark Patches, Virbank City Gyms and Hypnotoxic Lasers, as these are pricey. I would prefer using two Shaymin-EX in this deck, but I think you can reasonably get away with one. As I said, if you're willing to go a little bit beyond the $50 range (including Shaymin), Yveltal is without a doubt a top-tier deck, and probably one of the least expensive ones to put together at this time.

So I've bought 15 packs of Breakthrough and one Ancient Origins box. Now I'm trying to figure out what I should build or even can build. I know I'll need to order singles, but I'm looking for a solid base to go off of. I'm currently thinking of doing something with Mega Sceptile, Girantina, and Hoopa. Here are my cards. http://imgur.com/a/0ZTNh

Fairy toolbox? XY Aromatisse and mega man are actually pretty good. Mega Ampharos rough seas? Primal Clash beedrill is good with forest of giant plants and free retreat. Also primal groudon and maxies work real well.

So I've bought 15 packs of Breakthrough and one Ancient Origins box. Now I'm trying to figure out what I should build or even can build. I know I'll need to order singles, but I'm looking for a solid base to go off of. I'm currently thinking of doing something with Mega Sceptile, Girantina, and Hoopa. Here are my cards. http://imgur.com/a/0ZTNh
Mega sceptile, girl tins, hoopa, and gengar are nice. Also virizion and ariados.

Hello fellow Pokemon fans,

I am a new TCG player. I have been playing PTCGO for quite a while. I am familiar with the rules of Pokemon TCG but in dire need of a deck. I have a lot of cards. I have a few EX's under my belt and have been searching for a deck to build. However the decks I have found are EX heavy and are generally good for returning players. I need help building a little to no EX deck. Any suggestions would be nice. Thank you

Back