Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread
Welcome to the "What Deck Should I Play?" thread! In this thread, you may ask our members what deck you should build, or play at an upcoming tournament. Please include as much information as you can to give members a better idea of what you're looking for, including what decks you're choosing between (if any), your budget, what people in your area are playing, what you expect to see at an upcoming tournament, and any other requirements you want your deck to fit.

Any member may reply to a question asked in this thread. When answering a question, please be respectful of all of that member's requirements. Don't force them into a metagame deck they're clearly not interested in, or bash them for something they want or don't want.

Heyy I'm returning after a 6 month hiatus and want a competitive deck to play at some League Challenges

Cards I have available:
1 Seismitoad EX (I may be able to get 1 or 2 more)
Lots of stuff from the Original Plasma Deck (Thundurus/Deoxys/Kyurem.)
Virizion and Genesect cards
1 Mewtwo EX (May have more.)
2 Gengar EX
1 Mega Lucario EX
Life Dew
G Booster
Lots of Holo cards

I can gain access to other cards but it needs to stay under about $50-$60

Thanks
~Hunter

Hello PB.

Been wondering what I should build next. I'm one of those people who love having more then one deck built at a time. My preferred number of decks to have is 4, but at the moment I can only do 3 because I'm running low on staples and other cards I need to build decks. I have pretty much all the normal staples except for more VS Seeker, so that's not much of a problem.

I think my best options are Dialga EX PHF/Aegislash EX PHF/Bronzong PHF and Donphan PLS/Primal Groudon EX PRC. I'd love to do Mega Rayquaza EX/Shaymin, but that's a bit out of my budget right now. :p

Dialga imo is too slow and doesn't have enough firepower this format (blame it on Mega Turbo and M Ray), and while Aegislash can be quite annoying for M Ray (and other decks in general) M Ray can still attack you by playing one more Item card. Against stuff like Groudon, you're also going to struggle as you can't OHKO and they can, while taking about the same amoun of time to set up, perhaps a bit more depending on luck. Then again, there's Mega Turbo which speeds it up a lot, so he'll be setting up faster than you do.

The decks to play this format imo are M Ray (obvs), Primal Groudon/Ninetails (can mean trouble for M Ray as far as I've seen), aaaand Idrk what else xD.

On a side note (if you don't want to answer I understand) how can you have 3-4 competitive decks irl but not have enough budget for a M Ray deck? o_O You could just have used all that budget to get the set.

I'd like to build a fast, aggressive, flat-out destructive deck, but I don't have Shaymin EX just yet, and it looks like it might take me awhile to get some. What might be my options?

Night March is all well and good for now (in fact, I've had that deck since pre-States), but what am I to do once the format rotates?

Night march really wont lose much to the roatation. And the rotation is in September ou have plenty of time to find another deck.

Night March is all well and good for now (in fact, I've had that deck since pre-States), but what am I to do once the format rotates?
Ironman is right on the account that nightmarch doesnt lose too much - just its Mew-EX, but I'm not too sure how valuable you think Mew actually is. I think that P-Groudon-EX + Mega Turbo could be an interesting faster Groudon deck that you could try, but besides the ones already mentioned, I don't think there is a fast deck that can consistently 1-hit KO outside Rayquaza.

I don't know what to play for Regionals. Maybe some Toad variant or Manectric variant. Nothing really speaks to me. Anyone have any suggestions for me to try out?

I don't know what to play for Regionals. Maybe some Toad variant or Manectric variant. Nothing really speaks to me. Anyone have any suggestions for me to try out?
What's your type of deck? (As in, aggressive and the such)

What's your type of deck? (As in, aggressive and the such)

Whatever is good and consistent. I like the control Seismitoad can have over the game, but I can't seem to get Quaking Punch off turn two consistently.

Whatever is good and consistent. I like the control Seismitoad can have over the game, but I can't seem to get Quaking Punch off turn two consistently.
You could run a Seismitoad variant (your favorite) and have 2 switches and 3 float stones to help switch into toad. I feel Seismitoad is always a good play. To do even better against Ray, I would play hammers (4 crushing and 2/3 enhanced) along with some head ringers. I feel like a Toad with hammers deck would be a pretty solid choice for this weekend's regionals.

Well, I tried using Night March, but I'm not liking it. Either it doesn't set up at all, or when it does set up, it loses momentum. So I think it's time to move on to a new deck. Any other fast, aggressive decks (other than Flareon, I haven't had any luck with that either) out there that don't run Shaymin?

Well, I tried using Night March, but I'm not liking it. Either it doesn't set up at all, or when it does set up, it loses momentum. So I think it's time to move on to a new deck. Any other fast, aggressive decks (other than Flareon, I haven't had any luck with that either) out there that don't run Shaymin?

Hmmmmm... while watching regionals, it looks like Raichu decks are pretty quick and aggressive if you make your deck right. You could try that :)

Well, what goes/can go into Raichu decks?
Well...

-Shaymin EX (Great for quick draw and it allows you to abuse Wally)
-Ninetales PRC (Locks Sky Field in play)
-Ninetales DRX (It's a free Lysandre and it can double as a Type Advantage attacker with a few Fire Energy and Lasers)
-Crobat PHF (Bench sitter that provides extra damage)
-Jirachi EX (Grabs another Supporter. Should be common knowledge to use it.)
-Empoleon DEX (Draw support and Type attacker against Landorus-EX. Also generally good)
-Kecleon PLF (google used it. With MegaRay being so prevelant, you can use Kecleon to copy Emerald Break for Colorless Energy. Also covers Mewtwo-EX.)
-Mr Mime PLF (Keeps your Bench protected. Another safety precaution against M. Gallade-EX and Landorus-EX.)

Well...

-Shaymin EX (Great for quick draw and it allows you to abuse Wally)
-Ninetales PRC (Locks Sky Field in play)
-Ninetales DRX (It's a free Lysandre and it can double as a Type Advantage attacker with a few Fire Energy and Lasers)
-Crobat PHF (Bench sitter that provides extra damage)
-Jirachi EX (Grabs another Supporter. Should be common knowledge to use it.)
-Empoleon DEX (Draw support and Type attacker against Landorus-EX. Also generally good)
-Kecleon PLF (google used it. With MegaRay being so prevelant, you can use Kecleon to copy Emerald Break for Colorless Energy. Also covers Mewtwo-EX.)
-Mr Mime PLF (Keeps your Bench protected. Another safety precaution against M. Gallade-EX and Landorus-EX.)

Once again, I said I wanted something that didn't run Shaymin. Also, how do you put all these disparate elements together? This looks like it would be too complex. I'm a very uncreative person who needs a sample decklist in order to build a deck and who constantly looks to others to help improve things.

Can anyone give me any other deck ideas? I'm at my wit's end.

You wouldn't put all of those cards in one list all though you could. I like the Raichu/ Crobat/ Kecleon/ Ninetails deck list. In that list your Main attacker is Raichu but you could also run Fire energy and attack with nintails if you needed to, You could also attack with Kecleon as a Mewtwo EX counter and to use emerald break. Crobat is a good addition in any deck where you are trying to build a large bench. It is good because it allows you to build up Raichu's circle circuit as well as place extra damage counters on the board to help you set up another KO for the next turn.

Back