Collecting The "Card Collector Help" Thread

bbninjas said:
The-Kaiser said:
I cant seem to find the second XY Trainer kit (the one with Wigglytuff) online for sale anywhere =/

Interestingly there are about four of those sets in my local Anime/Card shop. Was there oversupply or something?

How much $ for it there and do they have a online store?

Hey, speaking of that second XY trainer kit, anyone know where I can pick up the holographic Wigglytuff from that kit? I have the actual one itself but I need a second holographic Wigglytuff.

[split] The English Booster Box "Pull Rates" Thread

Hi all, is there value in opening Pokemon boxes? I know from magic you lose value from opening booster boxes. I won an XY primal clash box at a magic event this week (small pplace ran out of prize support) and don't know what to do with the box. I could use the money, I saw that the boxes sell for $95 online but there's shipping and fees, and when I googled box value I saw posts about people buying boxes offline and making money from the singles.

Thanks for any help.

RE: [split] The English Booster Box "Pull Rates" Thread

Rebelarch86 said:
Hi all, is there value in opening Pokemon boxes? I know from magic you lose value from opening booster boxes. I won an XY primal clash box at a magic event this week (small pplace ran out of prize support) and don't know what to do with the box. I could use the money, I saw that the boxes sell for $95 online but there's shipping and fees, and when I googled box value I saw posts about people buying boxes offline and making money from the singles.

Thanks for any help.

In general, the singles you get from the box are worth less than the booster box. The only cards worth more than a dollar are the EX and FA cards, and the average EX/FA goes for around $7-10, with EX/FA rate from Primal Clash Boxes being around 6. I suppose if you pull enough very expensive cards, you'll make your money back, but I don't think it's worth taking the risk. Also, if you're selling those singles online, the shipping costs of them will start to add up eventually, so the shipping cost of a box shouldn't cost you too much more.

Hope this was helpful! :)

I'm considering getting into collecting Japanese Pokémon cards and I've seen a lot of recommendations for AmiAmi as a place to purchase Booster Boxes in particular. I'm very fond of the idea of purchasing through them, but I do have a couple of questions towards anyone that's bought from them in the past.

1) How expensive would shipping be for a single Booster Box purchased through AmiAmi?
2) How long would they usually take to arrive?

If anything, I know eBay [so long as they're still sealed] and Amazon are an option, I'm just curious when it comes to this site. I also have another, slightly unrelated question!

How do you all categorize and store your collections? My current plan is to try and get all cards in a set [starting with Emerald Break, for the time being] and put them in a binder [probably sleeved] and in their numbered order. I'm really curious as to how other people go about their collections, especially since I'm just starting, per se! c:

[I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post. If it is, please do let me know so I can appropriately post this where it belongs.]

1) Shipping depends on how fast you'd like your packages delivered. They do have a shipping table on their FAQ page to help you estimate costs, though it's based on weight. A single booster box fits in the "Up to .5kg" shipping category, so you can get it shipped for as cheap as ¥580 (US$4.86), get super fast shipping for ¥1,500 (US$12.59) or several options in between.

2) This again depends on your method of shipping and where you live. When I used to live in the States, I lived near Chicago and I would always order EMS (the fastest; I had a lot of disposable income). My boxes usually arrived in 3-4 days. Nowadays, I live in Amsterdam and I tend to ship via SAL. During non-busy times, it usually takes about a week and a half to receive my packages, though around Christmas it can take several weeks. Part of this is customs inspections, which is much less strict if you're in the States.

3) I tend to keep my RR, SR, and UR cards in sleeves in a toploader. The rest of my sets get bindered, except for extra C/U cards which are stored in tins. Probably not optimal, but it works well for me. :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Collecting Japanese cards is quite a lot of fun. :)

I apologize for the exceptionally late response! I've been out all day and, once I got home, had no internet until just now. @.@

Thank you VERY much for your answers, Athena! They have been insanely helpful! c:
I will definitely heavily consider making a purchase soon through AmiAmi. [The only reason I say considering is 'cause I need to make sure I can actually afford it right now. I definitely really want to buy one. xD]

Since you specified that the rest of your sets get bindered, how exactly do you store/where do you keep your Toploaded RR, SR, and UR cards? o:
*Whips out notebook and pen*

Unrelated Sidenote: It's nice to meet you! ^^

Outsethero said:
I'm considering getting into collecting Japanese Pokémon cards and I've seen a lot of recommendations for AmiAmi as a place to purchase Booster Boxes in particular. I'm very fond of the idea of purchasing through them, but I do have a couple of questions towards anyone that's bought from them in the past.

1) How expensive would shipping be for a single Booster Box purchased through AmiAmi?
2) How long would they usually take to arrive?

If anything, I know eBay [so long as they're still sealed] and Amazon are an option, I'm just curious when it comes to this site. I also have another, slightly unrelated question!

How do you all categorize and store your collections? My current plan is to try and get all cards in a set [starting with Emerald Break, for the time being] and put them in a binder [probably sleeved] and in their numbered order. I'm really curious as to how other people go about their collections, especially since I'm just starting, per se! c:

[I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post. If it is, please do let me know so I can appropriately post this where it belongs.]

Athena already hit the nail on shipping costs. For me, I've always used EMS. It was doing good, first purchase arrived within 3 days, second was 5 days, third was 6 days and my pre-order of Emerald Break took a whole week. I've recently purchased a box and got SAL registered for it, it shipped out Thursday, so we'll see how long that takes to get here.

As for categorizing, I do basically what your plan is. I organize them by sets in the binders, separated by the sets' pack arts. For the cards, I put them back to back (e.g. the first page is 1-9 and on the back of that page is 10-18). On the back of the pack art page I stick of the set sleeves (also sold on amiami) so it looks nice to me xP And at the end of the set, I use more of the set sleeves :p If interested, I can take some pictures of my Emerald Break set on Monday, and PM them to you :)

Outsethero said:
Since you specified that the rest of your sets get bindered, how exactly do you store/where do you keep your Toploaded RR, SR, and UR cards? o:
*Whips out notebook and pen*

Unrelated Sidenote: It's nice to meet you! ^^

I keep them in piles on shelves on my desk hutch and in spare tins (since I do still buy occasional English products and the tins are my favourite). Sometimes I'll have a particular card propped upright so I can kind of show it off easier and look at it (my Teammates FA is like that now). The nice thing about keeping those cards in toploaders is that I can store and sort through them very easily without having to worry about damage, especially since those are the cards I'm mostly likely to trade. Sorting binder pages to add or remove a card can sometimes be a lengthy process.

And it's a pleasure to meet you too. :) Always good to gather more collectors around.

Ooooof course. The moment I decide I could probably splurge a bit and buy a box, AmiAmi is sold out. OTL

CuriousCleffa said:
As for categorizing, I do basically what your plan is. I organize them by sets in the binders, separated by the sets' pack arts. For the cards, I put them back to back (e.g. the first page is 1-9 and on the back of that page is 10-18). On the back of the pack art page I stick of the set sleeves (also sold on amiami) so it looks nice to me xP And at the end of the set, I use more of the set sleeves :p If interested, I can take some pictures of my Emerald Break set on Monday, and PM them to you :)

That sounds really nice, actually! I was super interested in the sleeves, as well, but AmiAmi hasn't had them in stock for a while and I do not feel like paying the amount they go for on eBay. xD;

I would very much love to see some pictures, if it's not too much trouble. c:

Athena said:
I keep them in piles on shelves on my desk hutch and in spare tins (since I do still buy occasional English products and the tins are my favourite). Sometimes I'll have a particular card propped upright so I can kind of show it off easier and look at it (my Teammates FA is like that now). The nice thing about keeping those cards in toploaders is that I can store and sort through them very easily without having to worry about damage, especially since those are the cards I'm mostly likely to trade. Sorting binder pages to add or remove a card can sometimes be a lengthy process.

And it's a pleasure to meet you too. :) Always good to gather more collectors around.

Ahhh, makes sense! Yeah, I can definitely see how that would make it less of a hassle to sort through and find when it comes to trading and the like. I'd probably do something similar if it wasn't 'cause I can be super OCD-ish about things like these. xD;

EDIT: Managed to purchase a box not too long ago somewhere else! I'm stoked.

Does anyone know where I can find the foreign Vivillon's that were released in the first XY set. That would be the German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Japanese ones that aren't the meadow patterns. Pokebeach doesn't have scans of the ones that aren't English and Japanese though.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/xy-collection/vivillon-2.jpg

Ebay is going to be your best bet. Most retailers don't carry foreign cards as a general rule (Collector's Cache has sections for German and French cards, but only list very early sets in those languages). You may be able to snag a few through the trading corner here (I myself have the Japanese Elegant Pattern one :D), but I'm not sure if any/many traders will have non-English/Japanese cards. We do have some Korean traders, though, and some International users that may have easier access to those cards.

Pikachu6319 said:
Does anyone know where I can find the foreign Vivillon's that were released in the first XY set. That would be the German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Japanese ones that aren't the meadow patterns. Pokebeach doesn't have scans of the ones that aren't English and Japanese though.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/xy-collection/vivillon-2.jpg

Did the Korean Print have that regions pattern?

According to Bulbapedia, the Korean special version is the same Continental pattern as the German card.

Have to troll ebay for a while then. I see a Japanese one that I hope will last until tomorrow when my check comes through.

I saw a Russian one on ebay but it's 85.00 dollars. Is that typical for the cards?

I haven't seen any others.

Russian cards are pretty hard to get right now. They're very new and only available in Russia AFAIK, and exporting from there is kind of weird. US$85 seems very high to me, but it's hard to accurately price check those.

Does anyone know what a sealed booster box of "Revived Legends" (1st ed.) would be worth? Haven't seen one in a while, and would like to add it to my sealed booster box collection :)

Hello everyone! New guy here, I am a TCG collector from the Philippines. I was wondering, what do you call the damage on the sides of this card (see pictures)? Also, how would you grade a particular card if it has this kind of damage on all sides? Wanted some answers first before I pull the trigger on this one. Thanks in advance!
11348813_10153584870664206_1831482600_n.jpg
11118092_10153584870619206_164800780_n.jpg
11272131_10153584870654206_1605772549_n.jpg
11419986_10153584870669206_885607597_n.jpg

That type of damage is called "edgewear". How much edgewear affects grading depends on how much of it there is. That particular card has very noticeable edgewear that would likely lower its grade significantly. I'm not sure what you'd be "pulling the trigger" on, but if you're thinking of getting the card professionally graded, I don't believe it would be worth the costs, especially since Unlimited Fossil Zapdos doesn't have a large monetary value anyway.

That type of damage is called "edgewear". How much edgewear affects grading depends on how much of it there is. That particular card has very noticeable edgewear that would likely lower its grade significantly. I'm not sure what you'd be "pulling the trigger" on, but if you're thinking of getting the card professionally graded, I don't believe it would be worth the costs, especially since Unlimited Fossil Zapdos doesn't have a large monetary value anyway.

Thank you very much for this reply! And by "pulling the trigger" I meant buying the card for purposes of collecting, but yeah, I changed my mind since the card looks different than it was at first glance. Oh well. Again, thank you for the reply! Much appreciated

Back