Collecting The "Card Collector Help" Thread

RE: Is it just me or are the newer EX pokemon easier to pull than the old ones?

I disagree. Primal Clash has very poor pull rates but Phantom Forces has been good for me. I have more BW EX's than XY but only a couple more.

RE: Is it just me or are the newer EX pokemon easier to pull than the old ones?

That is usually my pull rates for rares. Maybe you are really lucky and small sets will have higher rates on the rarer cards since you get 2 rare cards a pack now anyway. One time in the EX Deoxys sets I got a Holo Ludicolo a reverse Holo Ludicolo and one other rare. But in that pack I got 3 rare cards. It was really weird. Also I got 2 EX set tins and I got one tine with 2 Holo Promo Pikachu and 2 Holo promo Meowth as well. Go Figure.:)

RE: hi were do i find?

I suggest looking up a few booster box/pack openings on youtube. They give a nice account of the rarities of the cards (and what to and what not to jump at :p), but as a run down:

Common - the most common (5 cards per pack) Example
Uncommon - the second most common (3 cards per pack) Example
Reverse Holo - Can be any card Rare Holo or under (1 per pack) Example
Rare - The rarest card, comes in 5 more rarities (1 per pack)
- Rare - the most common type of rare (black star). Example
- Rare Holo - a rarer version of rare (black star). Can be determined if the card's art is shiny (be careful about promos though). Example
- Ultra Rare - Really rare. Currently always EXs like this
-Ultra Rare (Full Art) - Even rarer (I believe). And more expensive. These are versions of Ultra Rares that cover the entire card! Like so.
- Secret Rare - The rarest of rare! Apparently only found in one out of 3 booster boxes, last time I heard. These are golden edged, and are not 'part' of the set as far as the set number goes. Example.

Primal Clash and possibly the upcoming sets also feature Ancient Traits. These can be any rarity, but it depends on the card.

RE: hi were do i find?

Furn said:
Vom said:
In that case, you'd be paying 124 USD for it, that's a little too expensive.

That's the standard mark-up of things here.

In Australian stores (the few that actually sell booster boxes), they cost AUD$175 (about 136 USD). I just ordered 2 PCL for AUD$146 each (around 113 USD) with free shipping. The $90 ones from America used to be great when the Australian dollar was good, but now including postage it ends up being around $150 AUD anyway

On Ami Ami, it looks like Emerald Break's pre-order is sold out..I wanted to make an order with the Team Magma/Aqua set, but was pretty much forced to wait until March to not risk having them split my order and mark it late for including an in stock item so now I'm left a bit irritated that I can't make the order at all as I don't want to split it (kind of a waste of money, right?). Anyone know how Ami Ami is with opening back up pre-orders? Do they do that at all? :\

AmiAmi rarely re-opens pre-orders, but they should have some Emerald Break boxes available for (non-pre-order) sale around the time the set is released (March 14th), since that's when they go through their stock and set aside the amount of boxes needed for pre-orders and then see how many they have left. There have been a few times that I've managed to snag boxes from them this way because I missed being able to pre-order earlier (such at the recent team Magma/Aqua boxes). Your best bet is to probably start checking back a couple days before the set is released, though of course there's certainly no harm in continuing to check from now until then. How long that open window lasts is dependent on how many boxes they get and how big the demand is, so it'd be best to snag it as soon as you see an opening.

Losing out on a pre-order is obviously a risk you take if you wait to place your pre-order for any reason, but it's a risk you can mitigate, if you wish, by ordering pre-orders separately and just eating the extra cost of shipping 2+ packages instead of one heavier package. Either way, it's a trade-off. I actually often split my orders from AmiAmi, though that's mostly for purposeful reasons (read: customs).

Thanks for the information. I figured so, but I wanted to make sure. I guess I'll just keep checking back closer to the date and hope they have some. I'd rather not split the order if I don't have to, but if I must, I may make the order for the Magma/Aqua set now and have it be held off until I have my full order for the month (as I think I've seen that option on there?) in case I am able to add on a box of Emerald Break. I usually use Air Mail, but if it ends up being that I have the split the order, I may just use SAL Registered as I'd rather avoid having to pay more for splitting the order. I'm not in a huge rush to get these items so maybe that could be a plan B if I must do that while not risking the chance that the Magma/Aqua set could sell out before then. ^^'

I'm just glad I'll be all caught up after this so I'll be able to make pre-orders well ahead of time to avoid this situation! xD

EDIT: Well, nevermind. Looks like I'm screwed anyway and will have to check on both. They show Double Crisis as in stock, but when you go to the page, it says out of stock. ^^'

Ah, bummer. :\ They still have some of the value sets available, if you want to get some of the Double Crisis cards. It's ~US$.67 more per pack, but the little deck boxes are nice and cute, and that should at least get you some. Otherwise, there's always trading/ebay. I have all cards except the Kyogre FA available in my trade and sale thread; other people might have some as well.

I just took a look on ebay and it's maybe about $5 more than what I'd pay on Ami Ami anyway, and my sister and I will be sharing that box, anyway, so it may work out better to just get that box from eBay, and I could always fill it out with trades/buying if needed so thanks for letting me know. I have been meaning to organize what I have to trade/want to buy anyway. :)

This way I can just focus on getting a box of Emerald Break if they have any left closer to release.

Is there a well organised resource like an app or program that lists cards by set? Something i could use to check off my collection. I'm after something with the Japanese sets specifically

So I have some japanese promo cards from earlier sets. They're cards that were never released in English, aside from a few that I got before they were ultimately released. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can tell me which japanese promo cards never made it into English and a good place that I might be able to get them from?

There have been a lot of cards that were released in Japanese but never released in English. This category on Bulbapedia claims to list them all, though this list does include cards that are very likely going to be released in English but simply haven't gotten to stores yet (like the Double Crisis cards).

As far as where to get them goes, just like many single cards, Ebay is probably your best bet. Some online card retailers, like Collector's Cache sell Japanese singles, and there are also places like PokéVault, which is an English language shop that focuses on Japanese Pokémon goods new and old, though retailers like these will likely be more expensive than Ebay.

Is it worth it to get all of the Japanese Everyone's Exciting Battle decks or it is better to just get the holos from it?

Airin said:
This way I can just focus on getting a box of Emerald Break if they have any left closer to release.

I just bought a Double Crisis box and I was hoping to get my Emerald Break boxes from there too, but I might have to do my pre-order through eBay and just wear the extra cost (probably around $10AUD)
(EDIT: just did the currency conversion and it'd be more like ~$20-25AUD. Ouch. Maybe it will be better to wait)

Of course, I can't decide how many to get. I'm thinking one or two to open and 1 to keep for a bit

In my experience, Ebay prices tend to stay stable for the first few weeks after a release (and there's a much larger supply from all the various sellers), and therefore it's not as necessary to pre-order there as it is from AmiAmi. If I were in your shoes, I would wait until release and see if I could get some on AmiAmi, and then turn to Ebay as a final resort.

Of course, it's been a few sets since I've even paid attention to the Ebay market, so this may have changed recently.... but then again, looking on Ebay now, I'm seeing Tidal Storm boxes going now for about the same price as they were on release, so it's probably a safe bet.

MegaCharizard said:
I just bought a Double Crisis box and I was hoping to get my Emerald Break boxes from there too, but I might have to do my pre-order through eBay and just wear the extra cost (probably around $10AUD)
(EDIT: just did the currency conversion and it'd be more like ~$20-25AUD. Ouch. Maybe it will be better to wait)

Of course, I can't decide how many to get. I'm thinking one or two to open and 1 to keep for a bit

Thankfully, not long after I posted about that issue on AmiAmi, I was able to buy Double Crisis and pre-order Emerald Break. The general list page showed them sold out, but then when I went to the page, they were available again haha. I had the eBay listing open for Double Crisis that I was going to buy from as well. It was maybe $5 more than what I'd have paid for on AmiAmi, which isn't too bad, I guess (although with slower shipping than the Air Mail I use). xD

As for amount, I've decided just to get one box for each series (2 if mini sets) and settled for buying/trading for any ultra rares I may be missing that I REALLY want. It's unfortunate how expensive full arts have gotten because of how many they have in series now and the fact that it feels near impossible to get one in a Japanese box so now I'm picky and wait for ones I really want to buy. The money I save from just getting one box I guess makes it ok.

Japanese FAs and URs have always been on the pricey side, and it's such a crap shoot when it comes to pulling one. Except for Tornadus EX FA, seemingly; I managed to pull 3 of those between my 2 BW4 boxes and a couple promo sets.

But, yeah, when they have the big sets instead of 2 mini-sets, purchasing becomes tricky. On one hand, you're likely to be missing a lot of cards with only one box, but the chances of getting doubles and triples of some and still missing a tonne is also very high. I'm still buying 2 boxes for each big set (it's more stuff to trade if nothing else), but I've debated slacking off, especially if there are promo packs released along aside. I probably would have only ordered one box of XY6 if the Rayquaza Mega Battle packs were more easily available, but AmiAmi only had the full cases of those available instead of the individual packs (and even those sold through pre-orders ages ago), and they're nowhere to be seen on ebay yet, so I don't even know if I'll be able to get any of those, so I decided to just stick with the double boxes.

Back