Stage 2 decks officially dead?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think that with a HGSS-On Rotation for our next Modified Season of 2011-2012 that Stage 2 decks will see less play now because of the recent errata on Rare Candy? Sure Serperior/Reuniclus will see play but decks like Tyranitar I fear aren't good enough anymore.

Are Stage 1 decks really the play now instead of Stage 2 decks since evidently they are too slow for the next format? I'd hate to tear apart my Tyranitar Prime deck in favor of Steelix Prime or Donphan Prime since MewGar is going to be a Tier 1 deck in our next format, not to mention ReshiBoar as well.

BlastiGatr not good enough either? What do you guys think?

this change doesnt mean anything. it just means that you cant get your beloved stage 2's out T1. get over it...you cant get stage 1's out T1 either. everything will be even. welcome to how base set was. P!P is just trying to make donks non existent...that is all.

The only thing that will happen is that decks involving Stage 2s will just be a little slower than they used to be. Tyranitar and Blastoise will still continue to be the beasts they always have been - you just need to play them a little differently, since you can't just go anticipate and drop BTS/Rare Candy and get a new fresh TTar out instantly. It will just involve a little more planning.

I'll be running Blastoise after the rotation comes along and I'm not too worried.

Maybe try something like Musharna it's got high Damage for a low cost pair that with Hypno HGSS and you could take out anything pretty much in 1-2 turns with an EB

About that Hypno HGSS/Musharna Combo it's still a 50/50 chance of putting Mew Prime to sleep and If I get tails I could get screwed badly. Not a bad idea, but still not a very effective deck idea against MewGar.

After rotation stage 1's and stage 2's are essentially the same.

You put a basic down, wait till next turn then put your stage 1 down or rare candy to your stage 2.

Stage 1 decks just allow for more techs to be added.

I think stage twos are dead. This is simply because it is harder to get them out because you need 3 cards for a stage two and only 2 pokemon for a stage one.

Stage 2 decks are dead? have you guys actually tested decks using HGSS-on builds with the new rule changing? All you need to do is play a starter like Minum UL to net you some basics and put them on the bench then T2 use Rare Candy and you're all set. throw in a few twins for when Minum or whatever starter you're using goes down.

I'll admit it's a little slower but nothing too game changing. Mind you i've only tested Donphan prime, Emboar, Serperior and Minncino. Still alot of deck concepts to get through.

I really think Stage 2 Decks will be more popular. Reason is this:

They are the only decent decks after rotation.

Gengar_is_Pwnage said:

This is true, after the rotation in July, I think stage 2 decks are going to come back in a big way. We're going to see the disappearance of the SP pokemon from Rising Rivals, to compensate I am sure stage 2's will fill in the spot. Plus...I say again....Feraligator's Tail attack is so sick...

Stage 2's still have staying power, it's just that minus Blastoise/Feraligatr Prime (BlastiGatr) they will most likely be focusing on 1 Stage 2 line and the other a Stage 1 line or a Basic line similiar to ReshiBoar and
Tyranitar Prime/Mandibuzz.

Serperior/Reuniclus has a chance but it's just as slow as Blastoise/Feraligatr Prime in HGSS-On. I think the deck that is the biggest threat to Stage 2's in our next format is possibly MewGar but it's very gimmicky at best, then you still have Donphan Prime which can setup much faster.

Even then Donphan Prime has a severe type disadvantage against BlastiGatr (Blastoise/Feraligatr Prime) due to {W} Weakness but that doesn't stop it from setting up faster than it though. I guess you could tech in 1 Spinning Tail Feraligatr along with the Rain Dance versions as well. The latter just has better synergy with Blastoise and DCE for Hydro Launcher.

prof elm + rare candy

the whole format is hgss-on, stage two wont be too slow, as the overall gameplay is slowed down

Gengar_is_Pwnage said:

So Beartic, Donphan, Cinccino, Zekrom, Scizor Prime, Yanmegga Prime, and Steelix Prime aren't decent decks?? That's some amazing thought right there guys, class A post.

^lol stage 1 decks will be just as good as stage 2...just wait we will get a new haymaker and it will be BS all over again.

ashinto said:
Gengar_is_Pwnage said:

So Beartic, Donphan, Cinccino, Zekrom, Scizor Prime, Yanmegga Prime, and Steelix Prime aren't decent decks?? That's some amazing thought right there guys, class A post.

Sad to say it, but most of those decks just barley meet the equivalent of what we will see in stage twos down the road.

Steelix, Scizor, Cinccino, and Donphan barely meet what we will see in Stage 2s? Need I remind you that Donphan can wall far beyond his 120 HP, Steelix has more HP than most Stage 2s in existence, and Scizor laughs at anything with Spec Dark/Metal/DCE?

I don't think so...

Back