Pokemon Pokemon Pet Peeves: Video Game Edition

Oops, you're right. Me didn't see it.
The dancing men were so annoying! Seriously, I wanted to throw my 3DS out of the window!

Today, we're dancing for no reason. ♪
Someday, we'll dissapear for no reason.

Haha. I remember those guys. The bugged me too. I do not like being required to do things in a certain order.

Teal said:
Blob55 said:
I meant that they allowed those games to exist. Who seriously wanted a Rumble squeal?
Why is that a problem? You didn't lose anything. Nobody forces you to buy it.

I just find it annoying, because whoever makes that series keeps on wasting their time; instead of making another interesting spin-off, or making a Pokémon Channel sequel. (Yes, I liked that game).
At least Channel was sort of a virtual pet simulator. What does Rumble do? Let you play as toys that can't level up.

Blob55 said:
Teal said:
Why is that a problem? You didn't lose anything. Nobody forces you to buy it.

I just find it annoying, because whoever makes that series keeps on wasting their time; instead of making another interesting spin-off, or making a Pokémon Channel sequel. (Yes, I liked that game).
At least Channel was sort of a virtual pet simulator. What does Rumble do? Let you play as toys that can't level up.
Ambrella has only developed:
Hey You, Pikachu! (N64)
Pokémon Channel (GCN)
Pokémon Dash (DS)
My Pokémon Ranch (WiiWare)
Pokémon Rumble (WiiWare)
Pokémon Rumble Blast (N3DS)
Pokémon Rumble U (WiiU)

Can't expect very interesting stuff from them. PokéParks are the new "Hey You, Pikachu!" and Channel, and "Creatures, Inc." takes care of them.

Blob55 said:
...I'm sorry, I know that we're supposed to respect opinions and all, but how could you like Channel, but HATE Rumble?

Teal said:
Blob55 said:
Ambrella has only developed:
Hey You, Pikachu! (N64)
Pokémon Channel (GCN)
Pokémon Dash (DS)
My Pokémon Ranch (WiiWare)
Pokémon Rumble (WiiWare)
Pokémon Rumble Blast (N3DS)
Pokémon Rumble U (WiiU)

Can't expect very interesting stuff from them. PokéParks are the new "Hey You, Pikachu!" and Channel, and "Creatures, Inc." takes care of them.

I know that, I just think a proper squeal to Channel would be good. BTW, Channel wasn't made by Creatures, as they were making Colosseum at the time.
I also don't get how the PPWii series is considered a squeal to Hey You, Pikachu! Because it's nothing like that at all and the only real similarity is that PIkachu is in all of those games and they use the Animé voices. If you compared it to another spin-off series, like PMD, you'll find it has some similarities like; Controlling Pokémon that can fight, leveling up moves (Gates to Infinity only), getting friends that you can later play as (PPWii2 only), collecting various items that aren't in any other Pokémon games (PPWii2 only) ect...

don()shinobi said:
...I'm sorry, I know that we're supposed to respect opinions and all, but how could you like Channel, but HATE Rumble?

Well, it could be because I like the Animé and Channel is pretty much the Animé the game.
Also, I didn't say I hate Rumble, I just don't think it needed a squeal, especially not TWO with all Pokémon.

I just said that Ambrella made Channel, and Creatures makes PokéPark games...

Having to pay tax in PMD EoT/D. I mean what the hell?

Also I really wish more trainers would have different type Pokemon. You see a hiker and you expect a Geodude or maybe a Machop or two. The trainers only start to get multiple typed Pokemon in Victory Road areas and even then the Elite 4 all use a specialized type. Granted they can play around with dual types but it won't get me thinking about what to send out since I don't play the game with Shift. Gym Leaders I can understand having mutliple types and maybe a handful of trainers in the overworld being specialized.

A more sophisticated AI calling for harder difficulty and better Pokemon management might sort this problem out, but I don't see that happening given the demographic. Turning Shift off is like Pokemon's hard mode but even then it gets trivial on your 3rd or 4th playthrough.

The tax thing isn't even an actual thing. You're getting the same amounts of money for things as you would in Red and Blue Rescue Team. The reward section doesn't show the 4-digit number it rewards the guild; it shows the 3-digit number that you actually get.

There's one thing where you're given a fair reward for your efforts but it's another thing where you know that half the reward is essentially being deleted. And that's probably my biggest issue. No new stock, no new friend areas, no extra facilities to unlock after you reach a certain amount of money. Heck, if there was something like this a feature where you could opt to pay more could be implemented.
Just seems like a waste of a cool feature when exploring was turning into a larger business which needs to be maintained and could easily grow bigger.

Pet Peeves... I've had since Gen III to think about this, so I'll go Gen by Gen. For the sake of avoiding rage, I'll focus strictly on characters along with mechanics and not Pokemon themselves.

Gen III: My main problem with the reboot of Pokemon if you will (because of no reverse compatability) is none over than May/whatever the male equivalent is (Ethan?). In the first two gens, we were given good rivals, those being Blue and Silver (aka the only two characters that don't act like p*ssies that you fight more than once), and then we get May. She's barely even a rival, just some prissy girl trying to complete a Pokedex for her father and apparently fighting you for the hell of it then. And if you're trying to complete a Pokedex, why don't you have your Pokemon's final form in the last match? Jesus... This is why I consider Wally more of a rival, but he isn't even that. He's a kid you help who actually wizened, unlike May who's the equivalent to a sack of potatoes, and grew into a decent battler.

Then there's the Dive as an HM (same with Gen V). Like the moves you only use on certain occasions (Flash, Rock Smash, Cut, all former HMs/close to losing this status), there's just not alot of use for it. So why does it get special treatment, because of out-of-battle use? Then why wouldn't Sweet Scent be an HM? Yeesh...

Gen IV: I don't quite have that many issues with this Gen, but there is one thing that irks me. Your mother is Johanna, one of the main (and last) Pokemon Contest judges. If there's supposedly no father, what did you, sit at home in your diaper with no one to take care of you? Or did you load the care of your child onto Professor Rowan, but even then, wouldn't you ask about your mother's profession and how did you get home without a Pokemon? It still baffles me, just like how Dawn carries the Pokeballs in a suitcase and not her belt.

Gen V: I have such a mixed reaction to this Gen. On one half of the coin, I thought the architectural side of things was stepped up massively and I'm greatly appreciative of that (same seems to be coming up Gen VI), but then I'm irked the hell out of how similar it seems to Gen I (at least the Pokemon designs). And yes, I promised not to go into individual Pokemon, but when you have the Trubbish line and Klink line and compare them to the Grimer and Magnemite lines (respectfully), you can see my irritations. Sure some ideas were brand new (Sigilyph for one), but besides that, it seems like a rehash when you have Sawk and Throh being counterparts and Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan being the same. It's just irritating to see they out of ideas like that.

Welp, there's my rant on this subject.

Delta said:
There's one thing where you're given a fair reward for your efforts but it's another thing where you know that half the reward is essentially being deleted. And that's probably my biggest issue. No new stock, no new friend areas, no extra facilities to unlock after you reach a certain amount of money. Heck, if there was something like this a feature where you could opt to pay more could be implemented.
Just seems like a waste of a cool feature when exploring was turning into a larger business which needs to be maintained and could easily grow bigger.

So you think the player should get 3000 Poke from saving a Dratini in a 10 floor dungeon?

My biggest pet peeve is when all of the Pokemon in the Regional Dex can't even be seen without trading. I'm looking at you, R/S Kingdra.

don()shinobi said:
Delta said:

So you think the player should get 3000 Poke from saving a Dratini in a 10 floor dungeon?

Depends on the dungeon.
I'm not saying to keep the same prices when getting rid of of the tax. I'm just saying the reward system can be altered in a way so that the people offering a reward have different personalities and you can change the amount you want to pay the guild if there is a way the guild can offer some sort of payback or a way to acknowledge your dedication.

Joeypals!! said:
Pet Peeves... I've had since Gen III to think about this, so I'll go Gen by Gen. For the sake of avoiding rage, I'll focus strictly on characters along with mechanics and not Pokemon themselves.

Gen III: My main problem with the reboot of Pokemon if you will (because of no reverse compatability) is none over than May/whatever the male equivalent is (Ethan?). In the first two gens, we were given good rivals, those being Blue and Silver (aka the only two characters that don't act like p*ssies that you fight more than once), and then we get May. She's barely even a rival, just some prissy girl trying to complete a Pokedex for her father and apparently fighting you for the hell of it then. And if you're trying to complete a Pokedex, why don't you have your Pokemon's final form in the last match? Jesus... This is why I consider Wally more of a rival, but he isn't even that. He's a kid you help who actually wizened, unlike May who's the equivalent to a sack of potatoes, and grew into a decent battler.

I understand where you are coming from. There wasn't a real rival in this game. The Professor's kid is okay and a bit obnoxious at times, yet s/he is not like Blue or Silver. I like a rivalry when you feel good for beating someone who has looked down on you, showing personal growth. The rivals were okay in Gen III but neither bad enough nor good enough to warrant much of my attention.

Then there's the Dive as an HM (same with Gen V). Like the moves you only use on certain occasions (Flash, Rock Smash, Cut, all former HMs/close to losing this status), there's just not alot of use for it. So why does it get special treatment, because of out-of-battle use? Then why wouldn't Sweet Scent be an HM? Yeesh...

I love Dive. I WISH they did more with it, though. I spent hours exploring beneath the ocean in Ruby and was disappointed in Black when I only had one small diving area with no wild Pokemon encounters. It was one of my favorite HMs because it was optional for the most part and allowed me to do something I've always wanted.

Gen IV: I don't quite have that many issues with this Gen, but there is one thing that irks me. Your mother is Johanna, one of the main (and last) Pokemon Contest judges. If there's supposedly no father, what did you, sit at home in your diaper with no one to take care of you? Or did you load the care of your child onto Professor Rowan, but even then, wouldn't you ask about your mother's profession and how did you get home without a Pokemon? It still baffles me, just like how Dawn carries the Pokeballs in a suitcase and not her belt.

I have too many issues with Gen IV but never encountered this bit. My issue with contests has more to do with the focus being taken away from the actual move selection part and more of an emphasis on dress-up. This made me upset and ruined a part of the game a really enjoyed.

Gen V: I have such a mixed reaction to this Gen. On one half of the coin, I thought the architectural side of things was stepped up massively and I'm greatly appreciative of that (same seems to be coming up Gen VI), but then I'm irked the hell out of how similar it seems to Gen I (at least the Pokemon designs). And yes, I promised not to go into individual Pokemon, but when you have the Trubbish line and Klink line and compare them to the Grimer and Magnemite lines (respectfully), you can see my irritations. Sure some ideas were brand new (Sigilyph for one), but besides that, it seems like a rehash when you have Sawk and Throh being counterparts and Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan being the same. It's just irritating to see they out of ideas like that.

I actually liked this. Each generation, people complain about how unlike the old Pokemon the new Pokemon are. They complain about the art being different and the monsters being too far off original designs. Gen V was a throw back to the nostaglic days of Red and Blue. The Pokemon reminded me of the older ones without being the same. Klink definitely reminded me of the Magnamite line but Trubbish's line reminded me more of Snorlax for some reason. The Gothita line reminded me of Jynx, though I am not so sure why. At the same time, they are so unique that I respect the new Pokemon for what they are and love them.

Also: one pet peeve of mine has to do with PLAYERS rather than the game itself. I happen to LOVE the Trubbish and Vanelite families. I have since I saw them. I don't know why people hate on them so much.

Tax thing? Is that like when you're part of the guild and if you get money the guild gets a portion? That sounds vaguely familiar at best...
But it only applies to money, not items - and money's a lot easier to get - so what's the big deal?

Gen III: My main problem with the reboot of Pokemon if you will (because of no reverse compatability) is none over than May/whatever the male equivalent is (Ethan?).
Brendan.

/me returns to lurking.

Starboard Driger said:
MrSquarepants said:
Another pet peeve of mine are undeletable HMs. You give me 50+ moves to choose from but limit me to four and I can't delete this one move for once? =_= and HM's don't get used up so.... why?

I think the reason HMs can't be deleted is to avoid getting stuck. For example: you use Rock Climb to get up to a ledge, then delete Rock Climb. How are you going to get back down?

OH YEA... that's a very good point... then I think they should not take up one of your 4 moves but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Joeypals!! said:

Welp, there's my rant on this subject.

Why does everyone always compare the Trubbish line to the Grimer line? Isn't Gulpin more like Grimer anyway?

Back