Pokemon Pokemon Pet Peeves: Video Game Edition

TrainerSivan

Aspiring Trainer
We all have things we like and dislike about the Pokemon video games. Perhaps you did not like a town's music or perhaps there was a design trend that bothered you. Nothing is perfect, not even Pokemon. This thread is designed for people to discuss their personal pet peeves about Pokemon video games, about both main games within the series and spin-off titles.

Personally, my latest pet peeve is the use and creation of formes.

I do not like formes. I'll even go as far as to say that I believe that formes break the basic rules of Pokemon and are cheap attempts at hype, providing little content or logic within the Pokemon universe itself. Evolution has traditionally been how Pokemon changed their appearances and received improved stats. It makes sense. Creatures in nature evolve, or metamorphose, into other creatures while remaining as the original creature in heart. It makes sense to apply this to Pokemon, allowing Magikarp to grow into Gyarados and Pikachu into Raichu when the conditions are correct.

Formes, on the other hand, do not make sense. Because Legendary Pokemon are not supposed to evolve, game creators decided to create hype by changing the appearance of these Pokemon. Legendary Pokemon are legendary because they are so perfect, so powerful, that they do not need to change or grow in order to be better. They simply exist. Sure, there are Pokemon like Dunsparce who do not evolve and are pretty much useless/forgotten by most fans, but they do not reach legendary status and are common. Legendary Pokemon are unique, supposedly perfect, beings in the Pokemon universe. Thus, formes do not really make sense when applied to what the laws of this fictional universe were established to be. Yes, rules change. But they should change in a logical sense and, quite frankly, I still can't come to a logic conclusion as to why we even need formes.

There is no logical need for formes. Why would a creature need to transform its body temporarily in order to be faster under certain, typically unrealistic, conditions? How does this even make sense? I can understand Giratina-- it came from its own world into the human world. But what is the justification for Meloetta? Shaymin? And possibly now Mewtwo?

I have a few other pet peeves but I'd rather continue to share after you guys post some of yours!

My main pet peeve is that it takes forever to trade pokemon or transfer them to another, newer game. It is the single most annoying thing I have come across, and is the reason my boxes on diamond aren't in my bw2 game yet.

Yeah, trading is quite annoying sometimes. At the same time, I've never been one to capture all the Pokemon and do not mind too much aside from when I want my favorites in a new game.

Trainers/Gym Leaders using Potions. It always bugged me so much.

I just can't stand when that happens, because it just prolongs the inevitable.

When people deem Pokemon as worthless because of stats and typing. I don't care that it loses 50% of its health to Sneaky Pebbles, I'm using my damn Quiver Dance Butterfree.

If a Pokemon is catchable after the 4th gym, I won't use it in my in-game team. I just like having everything I have with me from the beginning. BW2 gave a lot of options at the beginning, so it was nice for that. RSE, however...I can barely touch that game now.

When GF make squeals of Rumble with all Pokémon, yet didn't in a series that needs all/most Pokémon. (PMD Gates to Infinity).

The biggest one for me is the delay they inexplicably added in BW2 in choices for dialogue boxes. E.g., when someone asks you something that makes a Yes/No pop up, there's a delay between the box popping up and the arrow that lets you select something. I think maybe it was to prevent accidentally picking something that you didn't want too quickly? Still bugs me.
That and STILL having to sort Pokemon in my boxes manually. Some automatic sort functions would be nice.

Crits should be removed from the game imo. It's just frustrating and ridiculous when a match is tipped in your opponent's favor because of luck. It happens to your opponent too, so you could say it balances out, but because it's luck based there's no guarantee of that happening. If they were removed those frustrating moments would never happen again.

... well, there's still freezing and missing, but I'm fine with them. At least they make sense.

Yea I like to give out pokemon sometimes but I have to trade in order to do so, and it takes a long time... There really should be a feature where you can give away Pokemon and eggs to friends cause I'm tired of telling him "Hey go catch me something useless like Patrat and I'll give you this awesome thing!"

Another pet peeve of mine are undeletable HMs. You give me 50+ moves to choose from but limit me to four and I can't delete this one move for once? =_= and HM's don't get used up so.... why?

And the fact that you can't avoid battles when you don't want to, so let's say you wanna hurry up and get to a certain point but there's like 10 trainers you have to beat and if they see you that HAVE to battle you, despite you being able to dismantle their team in less than 5 minutes, it's just tedious. You don't go around in real life demanding people to play the TCG with you, just imagine if people really did that.

That and STILL having to sort Pokemon in my boxes manually. Some automatic sort functions would be nice.

My. Goodness. I never thought of this. And now, I want it more than any other feature! I WISH there were options to sort by number and type automatically. Or to even set individual boxes to automatically obtain certain Pokemon, such as one box being the "electric type only" box and all electric Pokemon would automatically be sent there. That way I could customize some boxes while having others automatically sorted for me. I'd LOVE this.

MrSquarepants said:
Another pet peeve of mine are undeletable HMs. You give me 50+ moves to choose from but limit me to four and I can't delete this one move for once? =_= and HM's don't get used up so.... why?

I think the reason HMs can't be deleted is to avoid getting stuck. For example: you use Rock Climb to get up to a ledge, then delete Rock Climb. How are you going to get back down?

Cinesra said:
don()shinobi said:
Sneaky Pebbles
You mean Incognito Stones.

You're both wrong, they're Covert Boulders.

I understand why crits and misses are hated, but I tolerate them simply for the fact that they make battling less predictable and even more interesting. In some cases, all you need is a single crit or miss and a battle can completely turn around in your favor. Luck isn't something you'd usually desire in a competitive atmosphere, but still, I think they play an important role.

The removal of the PC system in Generation 4.

I am never pleased when I have to sort through all of the garbage items I own just to find the one I want. At least Gen 5 made it bearable by introducing a sort function and a side toggle (which actually does alleviate the problem very nicely), but...Gen 4 bags. Ugh. Everything about Gen 4 interface is horrible, and right now bags really stand out.

Though soon it'll be the slow battle engines, the lag time when opening up a menu option, the inability to turn battle scenes off when in a link battle...

...oh look that's another annoyance

Starboard Driger said:
MrSquarepants said:

I think the reason HMs can't be deleted is to avoid getting stuck. For example: you use Rock Climb to get up to a ledge, then delete Rock Climb. How are you going to get back down?

You could always teach the Pokemon the HM move again, yes? I mean, they can be used an infinite amount of times. Being able to delete the move with, let's say, a desired TM and then realizing you need it again would not be a big deal. You could replace the TM with the HM and if you wanted to learn the TM again, you always have that option.

Blob55 said:
When GF make squeals of Rumble with all Pokémon, yet didn't in a series that needs all/most Pokémon. (PMD Gates to Infinity).
GameFreak doesn't make those games.

TrainerSivan said:
Starboard Driger said:

You could always teach the Pokemon the HM move again, yes? I mean, they can be used an infinite amount of times. Being able to delete the move with, let's say, a desired TM and then realizing you need it again would not be a big deal. You could replace the TM with the HM and if you wanted to learn the TM again, you always have that option.

That's true. I suppose someone could trade you a Pokemon with the move before you get the HM, get yourself stuck, and then delete it. (Gen 5 doesn't have HM/Gym Badge restrictions.) You would have to be an idiot to do that, but it's possible.

This is also why Gen 5 forbids trading a Pokemon with an HM move in your party over IR trading.

DNA said:
but...Gen 4 bags. Ugh. Everything about Gen 4 interface is horrible, and right now bags really stand out.
I thought the bags in HGSS were pretty nice...

They were about as slow - just the items were aligned differently (in boxes of 6). They were better than the DPPt bags, but not by a noticeable margin.

Back