Writing PMD: Explorers of Time - PokéBeach Edition! Final Chapter! Help Me Decide The Next One!

/me holds breath.

*mumblemumblemumble*

(that means you are so mean torturing Manaphy like that. You really should be nicer >:UU)

Hey, the only reason he got sick at all was because Keeper insisted on keeping him on land with us. If we had followed my plan and just chucked him back into the sea to begin with, things would have been fine just fine!

I never liked Manaphy anyway. Tail Glow was cool, but it wasn't even its best set. And with the Rain nerf, it became even harder to use.

If you ever feel masochistic enough, run Miracle Sea one more time, you'll automatically recruit a Phione once you get to the bottom.

It wasn't that bad all said and done (only cost me a single reviver seed, net), but I don't really particularly want a Phione since I don't really care about Pokédex. >_>

What happened to OCD and completionism?

Can you truly live without obtaining one of the unique recruits?

Exploration OCD is very different from completionism. I have more or less given up on the former in difficult situations for the purposes of this playthrough and I've never had the latter. I don't think I've ever 100% completed a game in my life.

For the record, I don't think I'll be posting any chapters while I'm on vacation. My laptop is so old and slow that it's almost painful to use (especially this site, which is actually too big for its screen resolution >_<) and I certainly can't see typing up a chapter on my tablet or phone. I did play through some fil'er dungeons on the plane, but I'm purposefully avoiding plot for now.

So, don't expect anything up until August 3rd at the earliest. In the meantime, you can have fun thinking up suggestions for my next playthrough if you'd like. :p

/me is horrorstruck
Nah, twas just expected. What games to you have available for the next playthrough?

What games to you have available for the next playthrough?

itsbeen3000years.jpg

I actually had made a potential list of games at the end of my FE:A playthrough, so rather than me trying to remember and type out a bunch of games all over again, let's pull up that list and work from there. PMD won by a landslide last time around, so there wasn't exactly a lot of discussion about other options.

Athena said:
Main Series & Spin-Off Pokémon Games: (snip!)

Since I just did a Pokémon game and I think I'd like to switch off between Pokémon and non-Pokémon games, I think I'll not do one of these at this time. So, strike-through'd. I do think Conquest will be a future playthrough to help me get through that again the same way this one helped me get through PMD, but that's a decision for Future Athena.

So that leaves us with...

Athena said:
Fire Emblem Games: I own all of the English-language FEs (7-11, 13), and can access translation patches for the Japanese-only FEs (1-6, 12). I could do another one of those in a similar style to my previous FE:A playthrough for those, though some of them I know better than others (4 & 6 I've only played once and a while ago; 1-3, 5, and 12 I've not played at all; 11 I started but didn't get far; 7-10 I know very well), so less familiar games would probably have to be done more straight.

Going the Fire Emblem route again is certainly a possibility, though Shadow Dragon (FE11) is off the table for now since I'm playing it straight for fun currently and I don't really want to play it again so soon because I'll get hella bored. Choosing one I'm more familiar with would probably give a sillier story but I'm open to anything.

Athena said:
A Different RPG: I could also branch away from Pokémon and FE and do a different RPG entirely. Most of the RPGs that would be good contenders are older ones that I know and love, such as Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun 1/2, Lunar 1/2, though Bravely Default would also be a newer option that could work well that I enjoyed. Most of these would be played fairly straight, though I could use PokéBeach members for party members again, and some games would have other choices, like picking Jobs for Bravely Default, or choosing my party members for Chrono Trigger.

This kind of category is kind of what I'm personally leaning towards at the moment, if only because I want to do a non-Pokémon game this time around and I just did an FE one recently. Not to imply that I don't want to do an FE game (after all, it's my favourite game series), but I don't want to burn people out on them or anything.

Athena said:
Other Suggestions: ??? I'm open. :U

This is also acceptable! So long as your suggestion is accessible via, uh, definitively legal methods.

Chapter P5: Holy &^*)% the playthrough is alive

<Keeper> Man, that was a long nap. I feel like I've been sleeping for like.. a month and three days.
<Athena> You're telling me. I have the worst kink in my neck right now.
<Keeper> So, uh, what's going on again?
<Athena> I dunno, I still feel a little shaky and uncertain. Let's do a filler dungeon to get back on our toes.
<Keeper> Woo, filler dungeon! \o/​

And so we proceeded to filler dungeon our hearts out. I was sick to death of adventuring in wet places, so we went to the forest where I could set everything on fire. We managed to recruit a few new teammates and also stole back an item from a criminal. When we went back to the guild to record the names and levels of our new teammates on the teammates list... MtC wasn't at the stand! :<

<Athena> Well, damn. Now how am I going to update the stupid list. :\
<Keeper> Maybe we can do it from memory.. let's see... we had a Turtwig, and an Aipom, and a ...
<Athena> Yes, but if we just toss them in the list willy-nilly, the won't be in proper Pokédex order.
<Keeper> *sigh* You can be so anal about some things...
<Athena> I guess we'll just have to wait and update the list later. On the bright side, I'm pretty sure the disappearance of everyone at the guild is actually the signal for the next plot point.
<Keeper> Ooooh, plot! :O
<Athena> Come on, let's go downstairs.​

Keeper and I climbed down the ladder into the bottom-most portion of the guild. We didn't have much occasion to come here anymore now that we weren't staying overnight in the guild and attend regular meetings. This time it was even more lively than usual, with a huge crowd of guildmembers cheering and surrounding a group of three Pokémon: A Lopunny, a Gardevoir, and a Medicham.

<Keeper> Huh? What's going on?
<Athena> Well, if you ask me... I think it's a huge crowd of guildmembers cheering and surround a group of thr-
<Keeper> Dude, Athena, I see that much. Captain Obvious, remember? But, like, why?
<Athena> I dunno, let's scoot closer so we can overhear what they're saying. *scoot*
<Keeper> *scoots along*
<Teal> Ohmygoooosh, can I have your autograph?
<Zyflair> I think I'm going to piss myself in excitement *_*
<WPM> EEK, SHE LOOKED AT ME! *faints*
<Keeper> So, uh, Tails... who's this new pop band that everyone's fawning over?
<Tails> Bro, show some srs respect here. These lovely people are The Team Charm, ultrafamous treasure hunter group extraordinaire! They've even made it to the fabled.... Master Rank
<Athena> *mumble* We're almost at Super Rank ...*grumble*
<Tails> They're so talented, and stylish, and smart, and strong, and beautiful.... *sigh*
<Athena> *facepalm*
<Keeper> So, since you seem to be a fan... can you tell us more about them?
<Tails> The gorgeous Lopunny with the long ears is named Drohn, the elegant Gardevoir is Professor Light, and the poised and strong Medicham is Professor Palutena.
<Athena> So, 2 of the 3 are professors?
<Tails> Yep! Professors with a doctorate in Treasure Hunting.
<Keeper> So, does that count as a science or art degree?
<Tails> Actually, it's a pretty fascinating story you see, back in th....​

As Tails started rambling into his story, Keeper and I both tuned him out. But then, I thought of something....

<Athena> Wait a minute... Palutena and Light... didn't we meet them in the future?
<Keeper> Technically speaking, we met their ghosts as they had been swirled together along with hundreds of other ghosts in a giant mass of insanity that took the form of a Spiritomb.
<Athena> I guess they must have pretty dominant personalities, then, to have taken control of that monstrosity.
<Keeper> What if they, like.... caused it....? >_>
<Athena> o_o?
<Keeper> I can imagine it now, a group of intrepid adventures exploring an unearthed ruin, stumbling upon some ancient curse...
<Athena> Well, I dunno if a curse is in play or not, but we do know for sure that some pretty horrible $#!& is going to happen to them sometime in the future...
<Keeper> I think Tails is wrapping up his story now. We should probably go back to paying attention to him.
<Tails> ... arm visit here?
<Keeper> *cough* Pardon me?
<Tails> I said, I can't help but wonder why Team Charm is visiting our guild. I wonder if...​

We were spared more of Tails's rambling by the sudden appearance of the guildmaster!

<IA> *walks in* Hiya! ^_^
<Drohn> IA, darling! :3
<Light> You haven't changed a bit, sweetie~
<Palutena> And now a guildmaster too, amazing!
<Teal> You mean... the guildmaster knows these guys? o_o;;
<Drohn> Of course we know IA! He's the coolest! ^_^
<Light> We all used to be partners together in an exploration team.
<Everyone> :O!!!!!
<IA> So, what brings you guys here? ^_^
<LIght> Do you remember that time we found a mysterious key while exploring, dear?
<IA> Oh, yes, of course.
<Palutena> Well, you see, we figured out where that key goes, a place known as the Aegis Cave. There's a keyhole that's the perfect size and shape and everything.
<Light> There's supposed to be some serious loot inside, as well.
<Everyone> :O!!!!!
<Drohn> You've still got that key, right? :3
<IA> Well, uh.... what key? ^_^;;;
<Light> *sigh* Drohn, you have the gift, right?
<Drohn> Here you go, IA! A perfect apple! :3
<IA> Yay, thank you! ^_^
<Palutena> So, about the key....
<IA> Oh, yes, yes, *munch* I remember now, *chomp* it was shaped like an Unown, yes? *slurp* I'll go look...​

We all watched IA as he took small, careful bites of the Perfect Apple as he walked into his office and then back out again.

<IA> *burp* Here you go! *hands over key*
<Drohn> Yep, that's it alright! :3
<Light> Thank you so much, darling. <3
<Palutena> So, do you think you might want to come with us to open up Aegis Cave? It'll be just like old times!
<IA> Nah, I think I'd like to sit here and spend some time getting to know this Perfect Apple.... *lick*
<Keeper> We'll come with you!
<Teal> Me too!
<Zyflair> And me!
<Keeper> *eyes Athena expectantly*
<Athena> Sure, why not, I guess I'd like to come too.
<Drohn> Awww, you guys are so cute. Let's all go together! :3
<Everyone> YAY! \o/
<Light> We'll go on ahead and open the entrance, then you guys can go in after we do. *Team Charm exit stage left*
<Keeper> Come on Athena, let's go!
<Athena> But first... I want to update our teammates list.
<Keeper> *sigh*​

We went over to MtC and updated the list and then finally I let Keeper drag me outside. We went back home to save so we wouldn't have to go through the whole conversation again if something bad happened then we made our way to the cave.

<Athena> Actually, I think I'm going to call it quits for the day.
<Keeper> Noooooooo!! D: We just got an opportunity to investigate a new dungeon with some cool celebrities that are soon going to die and turn into a crazy ghost... and you want to go to bed?!
<Athena> Well, I got really sidetracked early talking to PMJ--
<Keeper> The Lapras?
<Athena> Yes, the Lapras, and now I'm not sure if I really have enough time to jump into a dungeon before I need to leave to start cooking dinner.
<Keeper> *sigh* You're breaking the fourth wall again, aren't you. You always do that when you want to end a chapter early... >:|
<Athena> Sorry. :\ We'll have a nice dungeon chapter tomorrow, though, I promise. <3
<Keeper> You better. <3​

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 52 Charmander (Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Flamethrower)
Keeper: Lv. 52 Totodile (Ice Fang, Scratch, Aqua Tail, Bite)

Available Teammates: Sandshrew (22), Sandslash (24), Oddish (11), Paras (13), Venomoth (1), Psyduck (10), Poliwag (9), Kadabra (35), Machop (6), Bellsprout (15), Geodude (7), Doduo (10), Seel (34), Grimer (9), Krabby (12), Koffing (13), Rhyhorn (24), Omanyte (36), Dratini (11), Chikorita (5), Hoothoot (13), Spinarak (10), Mareep (21), Marill (41), Azumarill (46), Hoppip (13), Aipom (15), Wooper (11), Qwilfish (46), Delibird (41), Phanpy (20), Smoochum (18), Elekid (14), Larvitar (23), Zigzagoon (15), Wurmple (15), Lotad (11), Wingull (12), Ralts (32), Surskit (12), Nincada (24), Ninjask (27), Azurill (12), Nosepass (45), Mawile (25), Aron (22), Roselia (41), Vibrava (1), Cacnea (23), Cacturne (24), Zangoose (42), Seviper (36), Solrock (1), Barboach (1), Lileep (1), Castform (40), Absol (29), Snorunt (14), Spheal (11), Relicanth (48), Bagon (28), Turtwig (5), Grotle (38), Shinx (18), Budew (12), Cranidos (26), Shieldon (27), Wormadam (26), Pachirisu (14), Cherubi (14), Gastrodon (East Sea) (13), Gastrodon (West Sea) (22), Hippopotas (27), Skorupi (25), Carnivine (24)

Player Notes:

WE'RE BACK! \o/

I did play through some filler dungeons while I was on my vacation in the States, but due to the slowness of the new PokéBeach on my laptop, I wasn't able to commit to writing chapters, hence the break. And then when I came home, I was jet lagged the first couple days, and then I went into a full blown cold, too hard to think, no video games. I'm still not feeling particularly well at all, but I'm at least coherent enough to pick up a game and play, so here we are.

I don't really remember what kind of filler dungeons I did. Man, that was like a month ago. >_> I know I got some new people, and I saw that we had triggered the new plot because no one was in the guild, but that was all, and then I put it down to avoid being too over-leveled. I did do a quick run-through of the Forbidden Forest just to kind of get a feel for the gameplay again, and managed to recruit a bunch of starters. I'll admit, there's a part of me that's super tempted to level up my Turtwig just to have one of each type of starter from the first three gens.... but I'm much too lazy and don't really want to add a third person to the group right now anyway.

Aside from the filler dungeon, the chapter is mostly plot. I did embellish a little, mostly because I wanted there to be a bit of a reaction to the professors coming back. And I really did get sidetracked talking to PMJ and stopped working on this and then I had to go grocery shopping, otherwise I probably would have done more today, but at least this is here so you know I'm back and the playthrough is starting up again.

So, you can expect regular updates again, starting today.

<Tails> The gorgeous Lopunny with the long ears is named Drohn, the elegant Gardevoir is Professor Light, and the poised and strong Medicham is Professor Palutena.
<Athena> So, 2 of the 3 are professors?
<Tails> Yep! Professors with a doctorate in Treasure Hunting.
<Keeper> So, does that count as a science or art degree?

Only in the Pokemon Universe could this be true methinks. :p

I found this very humorous and it's good to see an update to this story.

Chapter P6: Too Many Unown

All rested and ready, Keeper and I finally headed off to Aegis Cave.

<Keeper> Man, this is going to be so cool! We're going to get treasure! And hang out with famous people!
<Athena> Have you ever stopped to consider that the horrible death that befalls Team Charm might happen in this very cave that you are so cheerfully prancing towards?
<Keeper> ... not really, no. And I'm not prancing either. This is my, uh, fashion walk.
<Athena> That just sounds worse than prancing.​

We eventually made it all the way to the cave in the southeastern part of the region. Inside, Team Charm and other guildmembers were hanging out in the entryway. It looked like a pretty normal cave; the only thing of interest was a huge tablet of stone standing upright like some kind of humongous grave marker.

<Palutena> Geez, what took you guys so long?
<Keeper> Athena had t--
<Athena> *elbows Keeper* We were just enjoying the sights on the way here is all. Sorry to keep you waiting.
<Light> We're so glad you've made it, dears, we were about to go in.
<Luis> But first we want to check out this cool tablet thing!
<Palutena> We're pretty sure it's puzzle shenanigans.
<Drohn> So, now that you're here, it's time to break up into teams and solve the puzzle!
<Athena> Yay, puzzles~​

Everyone left to go work out with their teams leaving me and Keeper alone in the room. Keeper was clearly chomping at the bit to get inside and start exploring, but I wanted to check out the giant tablet first.

<Athena> Hey, I know these things. These are Unown markings.
<Keeper> Unown markings? Like the Pokémon?
<Athena> Yeah. Each Unown is like a letter and those letters spell out words. It's like the footprint language, kind of, except it uses the shapes of Unown instead of footprints.
<Keeper> This is supposed to be writing? It just looks like gibberish to me.
<Athena> Well, the stupid footprint code is gibberish to me, but I guess that makes sense. The Unown letters are used him human writings, so you probably wouldn't know them.
<Keeper> What does this one spell out?
<Athena> ICE.
<Keeper> Maybe it's a clue?
<Athena> It's gotta be related to the puzzle somehow anyway. Let's go!​

We went forward into the cave. It was more or less like any other dungeon, except the only Pokémon we encountered were Unown. We managed to recruit one of them, but it didn't seem to be able to help us out with the puzzle at all, so we sent it back. One of the Unown dropped an item.

<Keeper> Huh, what's this?
<Athena> You're Captain Obvious, why don't you tell me?
<Keeper> Because you can see with your own eyes that it's a stone in the shape of the Unown we just fought.
<Athena> Yep. This one is the letter "F". *sigh*
<Keeper> Why are you sighing?
<Athena> Because we've fought like 10 Unown and this is our first letter. I have a feeling this is going to be a very long dungeon.
<Keeper> Does that mean you've figured out the puzzle yet?
<Athena> No, but I have an idea...​

Keeper and I continued onto the next floor where we picked up a C and a K stone, and then a J on the 3rd. When we reached the next level we were... back at the beginning of the cave? Sure enough, that was the tablet with the Unown markings, and Team Charm was clustered around it.

<Drohn> So, you guys ended up back here too, huh?
<Athena> Yep.
<Palutena> There's definitely some kind of trick to moving on involving this tablet.
<Light> With the Unown markings on the tablet, and the Unown in the cave... there's gotta be a connection there somewhere.
<Athena> Yeah, we already figured that much out.
<Light> Oh, so clever of you!
<Keeper> Yeah, and Athena kno--
<Athena> *elbows Keeper* What Keeper is trying to say is that I saw an Unown in this entryway before and that's how I figured out they were connected.
<Palutena> Well, we're going to go back in to try and figure the rest of it out. Good luck! *Team Charm exits stage cave*
<Keeper> Oww, my ribs... why didn't you want me to tell them what you said about the writing?
<Athena> Because we want to solve the puzzle before them, of course, otherwise they'll get all the treasure!
<Keeper> Okay, yeah, fair enough. Let's keep our cards close to our chest and press on.​

Back in the cave a second time, we picked up an E stone, another C stone, and then finally an I stone.

<Athena> Alright, there we go, I think that should do it.
<Keeper> Do what?
<Athena> It's time to test my theory of the puzzles solution. But I'm not going to tell you what it is yet in case it doesn't work and I look dumb.​

Finally we were back in the entryway again. I pulled out the I, C, and E stones that we had picked up and walked back to the stone tablet. I read the passage again and closed my eyes as instructed. When I opened them again, the stones were gone and the tablet was glowing. It began to pulse with light faster and faster until, with a giant flash, it disappeared, showing a staircase leading down.

<Keeper> Whatever you did, I think it worked.
<Athena> The tablet wanted us to collect stones to match the letters that it spelled out.
<Keeper> So... what's down there?
<Athena> I dunno, but something tells me it's going to be a Pokémon to fight that's going to be Ice-type.​

We went down the stairs and into a chamber that was very similar to the one above, but this one had a Pokémon standing in place near the edge. It was Regice!

<Regice> If you want to continue, you're going to have to prove your power to me and stuff.
<Athena> Pfft, I'm a Fire-type. This will be a breeze. Come on, Regi!​

I almost didn't need to bother with my Smokescreen attacks, because Ember did so much damage. With Keeper helping out, the battle only took a few rounds. Once Regice was down for the count, a mysterious light enveloped me!

<Keeper> Ack, what's going on?
<Athena> The narrative prompt says that I've received the guardian's permission. I guess that means we can go further into the dungeon now.
<Keeper> Sweet!​

Keeper and I continued past the spot Regice was guarding and into another cave. This room was identical to the previous cave's entryway, complete with a stone tablet in the middle, though the colour scheme was a bit different.

<Athena> Alright, let's see what Regi this dungeon is for. Based on the colours I'm going to guess Rock, but...
<Light> Fabulous work, dearies!
<Keeper> ... buh?
<Team Charm> *enters like pros*
<Drohn> That was a very nice battle.
<Athena> You were watching?
<Palutena> Well, we can't let you get too far ahead of us. We'll beat you to the next one!
<Team Charm> *exits like pros*​

Keeper and I looked at each other, shrugged, and then back at the tablet. Sure enough, this one spelled out ROCK. We already had a K rock and a spare C rock from our time in the previous dungeon, but we would need to pick up R and O. During our first delve, we picked up 2 Ms, a T, a D, and 2 Es and also saw (and recruited) our first non-Unown Pokémon, a Golbat. There was a note from Team Charm by the tablet when we were back in the entryway again, but we ignored their taunts and continued on. During our second trip, we finally picked up an R and also an L, though eventually our bag got full and I decided to only pick up the letters I knew we would need, and also began swapping other useless letters out for more useful items found, like Keys. We finally found an O stone on our third trip and made our way quickly back to the entrance where I performed the same ritual with the R, O, C, and K stones.

<Keeper> Does this mean it's time for another boss?
<Athena> Yep. A Rock-type one, too, so this is your turn to shine, Keeper.​

In the chamber below, we were greeted by Regirock who challenged us to show our power again. We defeated him pretty easily, though not quite as easily as Regice, and once again I was enveloped by light. We moved forward into the 3rd, and possibly final, chamber.

<Keeper> So, shall we read the tablet again?
<Athena> No need, I know this one's going to read STEEL.
<Keeper> Well aren't you a smartiepants.
<Athena> You do know that Registeel is the only remaining one of the Regi trio, right? I don't know if we'll be seeing Regigigigigigigigigas or not, but we'll definitely be seeing Registeel next.
<Keeper> At least we already have a T, L, and 2 E stones.
<Athena> Yep, only S is left. Hopefully it won't take us another 3 dives to find this one. Let's go!​

This time the dungeon was 4 floors deep instead of 3, but we still had no luck finding an S in the first dive, but the second was successful, so we rushed back to the entryway again. Ritual, staircase, Registeel battle, glowing, yada yada. You guys know the drill by now. Only this time when the passageway opened for us to continue, we were surprised by the knocked out members of Team Charm.

<Palutena> Oh geez, what happened...?
<Drohn> Registeel tore us a new one I guess...
<Light> And Team Awesome succeeded where we failed. Thank you kindly.
<Palutena> We owe you guys big for this. Seems like you deserve the treasure more than we do, so, go ahead and continue on yourselves to get the reward! We'll back you up.​

The reward was.... another dungeon. Keeper and I sighed and plowed our way through, Team Charm following along behind. We finally came to the last chamber, the residing place of Regigigigigigas, and his posse of Hitmonlee and Bronzong.

<Regigigigas> SHOW ME YOUR POWAH!
<Athena> Yeah, yeah, we know already.
<Palutena> We'll help you out!
<Athena> Sure, why not. Just don't use up any of my Reviver Seeds, got it?​

The battle was... an interesting one. I barely took a single step and then I was surrounded by Regigigigiga's lackeys, one of whom immobilized me, forcing me to watch and do nothing as the others attacked. Light was knocked out and I was taking damage myself when Drohn healed us all. Once I was back in action, the others began to mow through the remaining minions while I kept Regigigigas in check. Eventually, between all of us, the battle came to a close, and a huge red tablet appeared over the ground. I followed the instructions on the tablet and closed my eyes. It also said to "let my aura flow into the ground" but I wasn't quite sure how to do that, so I just stayed still for a bit and let the tablet do its thing.

As the tablet began to pulse with light... Regigigigigigigas stood back up!

<Everyone> Ohshi-​

Regigigigigigas let out a huge roar and punched the ground, setting the whole cavern shaking lin an earthquake. The 5 of us all dashed out as soon as possible, forgoing the treasure to save our lives. We somehow ended up in a sandy, beach-like area.

<Light> Darlings! Is everyone alright?
<Keeper> I'm fine!
<Palutena> Me too, but....
<Drohn> The treasure.... :<
<Athena> Yeah.... >_<
<Palutena> But what's that over there?
<Keeper> It looks like the earthquake shook loose a bunch of rock and opened up the entrance to another dungeon!
<Drohn> Sweet! the treasure must be in there!
<Everyone> Yay! \o/
<Light> But, really, it's thanks to Athena and Keeper here that we were able to get this far. You have our gratitude.
<Athena> No problem. Being the main characters is our job, after all.
<Palutena> It was a pleasure working with you! Now go enjoy that treasure!​

And Team Charm walked off into the sunset, we discovered that our treasure was, indeed, another dungeon...

<Athena> *sigh* All that work, only to discover that there's more work before we can even get to the actual treasure.
<Keeper> You're telling me. :\ If I never see another Unown again, it'll be too soon.
<Athena> I guess it's a bad time to remind you that we recruited like 4 of them then. >_>
<Keeper> Oh well, it's not like we ever use our recruits anyway.
<Athena> Anyway, I'm tired and this chapter is long enough as it is. Let's go back and get some sleep, sell of the r est of these Unown rocks, and come back in the morning.
<Keeper> Deal.​

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 52 Charmander (Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Flamethrower)
Keeper: Lv. 52 Totodile (Ice Fang, Scratch, Aqua Tail, Bite)

Available Teammates: Sandshrew (22), Sandslash (24), Oddish (11), Paras (13), Venomoth (1), Psyduck (10), Poliwag (9), Kadabra (35), Machop (6), Bellsprout (15), Geodude (7), Doduo (10), Seel (34), Grimer (9), Krabby (12), Koffing (13), Rhyhorn (24), Omanyte (36), Dratini (11), Chikorita (5), Hoothoot (13), Spinarak (10), Mareep (21), Marill (41), Azumarill (46), Hoppip (13), Aipom (15), Wooper (11), Qwilfish (46), Delibird (41), Phanpy (20), Smoochum (18), Elekid (14), Larvitar (23), Zigzagoon (15), Wurmple (15), Lotad (11), Wingull (12), Ralts (32), Surskit (12), Nincada (24), Ninjask (27), Azurill (12), Nosepass (45), Mawile (25), Aron (22), Roselia (41), Vibrava (1), Cacnea (23), Cacturne (24), Zangoose (42), Seviper (36), Solrock (1), Barboach (1), Lileep (1), Castform (40), Absol (29), Snorunt (14), Spheal (11), Relicanth (48), Bagon (28), Turtwig (5), Grotle (38), Shinx (18), Budew (12), Cranidos (26), Shieldon (27), Wormadam (26), Pachirisu (14), Cherubi (14), Gastrodon (East Sea) (13), Gastrodon (West Sea) (22), Hippopotas (27), Skorupi (25), Carnivine (24)

Player Notes:

Definitely took a while. I'm not sure exactly how the Unown are coded, but it did seem that if I saw a particular Unown on a given floor that I would probably see more of them, so when I finally saw an O (and later an S) Unown, I simply camped out on that particular floor until I fought enough of that type that the matching stone dropped. I'm guessing that a certain number of Unown is chosen to appear each floor, so it's still random, but you won't, say, see all 26 (or 28? Are the punctuation Unown part of the mix too?) on the same floor, maybe just 5 or 6 different ones. At least that's what it felt like. And they hardly give you any exp. too. :<

I really wasn't sure if the ICE thing would work or not. My other thought was that I might have to collect one of the whole alphabet, but I figured that if the ICE thing didn't work that I'd probably check a FAQ before collecting all the letters because that would really have been a pain in the ass.

Looks like I've got an undetermined amount of filler dungeons left before the next plot bit, so I'll just play through as I can and get something new up tomorrow, even if it's just a beginning plot bit like yesterday's chapter was. Because I've been looking up plot triggers, I know that the next "section" of the game is the last, but I don't know how long it'll be, so it might be just another chapter or two, or maybe several depending on how much is involved.

Regardless, I hope you guys are enjoying reading along and looking forward to the conclusion as much as I am. :)

Aegis Cave is hands down; the most ANNOYING dungeon in PMD history. You have to get lucky that the correct Unown spawn and drop the Stones you need to unlock the door to proceed to the next section of the dungeon.

Not to mention it fills up your bags like *censored*.

Concealed Ruins are pretty cool, and kinda challenging at least. Enjoy.

Chapter P7: Regigigigigas is a troll

<Athena> ♫Filler dungeons, I like filler dungeons♫ ... ♫I like how they--
<Keeper> Athena, stop it. That's an inside joke that no one reading this playthrough will understand.
<Athena> Now who's breaking the 4th wall? :U
<Keeper> I just wanted you to stop singing.
<Athena> But I like singing... ;~;
<Keeper> So, what do you want to do today?
<Athena> Well, let's check out the board to see if there's any sweet jobs we can nab, but I think I want to head to the treasure cave first and see what's there.​

Keeper and I geared up, re-saved, and headed back in the direction of the Concealed Ruins, the dungeon Regigigigigigigas had opened up for us. And then it proceeded to be very long and annoying and filled with Nidoqueens that could almost OHKO me with Earth Power and we had to be very careful. We also accidentally stole a whole bunch of items from a Kecleon shop by using a Trawl Orb, then flew up the stairs before he could kick our asses. We were almost to the top when we reached a locked door that I was able to use my "Key" on; it contained a random box. The top, final floor of the dungeon contained... 6 "Deluxe" Boxes.

<Keeper> Aww, geez. We finally find our treasure and it's stuck in those stupid boxes that we have to pay Xatu to open. It's no fun paying for treasure. :\
<Athena> Oh well, let's hope the RNG god is kind to use and procedurally generated good items. Now come on before another Nidoqueen shows up and forces us to waste more Reviver Seeds.​

And so we trudged back to town to visit Xatu and get our boxes checked out. The box behind the locked door held an Ice Sash, and the 6 Deluxes from the last level were 3 Reviver Seeds, a Pink Gummi, a Yellow Gummy, and an Orange Gummi.

<Athena> Worst. Ancient Treasure. Ever.
<Keeper> Awww, it's not that bad, I mean, gummies are nice, and 3 Revival Seeds will be useful...
<Athena> We used up more Reviver Seeds than that in the dungeon! And then we had to pay 1050G to unlock all these boxes!
<Keeper> Well, uh, at least we got that cool, Legendary-specific hold item?
<Athena> You mean the Ice Sash? The item that I had to use up a Key to get? The Key that cost 8000G? For an item specific for a Legendary that we'll probably never see again let alone recruit?
<Keeper> ... ok, yeah, I got nothin' ._.;
<Athena> Curse you Regigigigas! *shakes fist*
<Keeper> So, feel like more filler dungeons?
<Athena> *sigh* Do we have a choice?
<Keeper> Not if we want to get to the next plot part.
<Athena> Fine, let's go. But let's make it a non-Water dungeon, please. I've had enough of getting my ass kicked for one day.​

And so we restructured our inventory, sold off a lot of the useless stuff that we picked up, and went off to the guild to find some good filler dungeons. We settled for doing a few jobs over on Blizzard Island, where Ice-types outnumbered the Water-types, and blazed our way through. After we collected our rewards, we turned in for the night; it had been a long, hard day and we were both beat.

We were just about to head to bed when a sharp wind picked up and drops of rain began falling. Dark clouds swirled overhead and the scent of electricity filled the air.

<Keeper> Storm's coming, I guess. We haven't had one in a while.
<Athena> Yeah, and I've been grateful, too. This place is cool and all, but not much protection from the elements.
<Keeper> I dunno, I think it's kind of refreshing... man, it's really been a long time since you arrived here.
<Athena> I suppose so. Lots of filler dungeons. But for some reason I can't fully explain, the thing that stands out to me the most right now is that we still can't evolve.
<Keeper> Huh? Where did that come from?
<Athena> Hell if I know. You're usually the one that has random thoughts coming out of left field. I guess I was possessed by the narrative or something.
<Keeper> Possessed by the narrative?
<Athena> Yeah. Because even though it makes no sense at all in connection to the things we were just talking about, I'm having very strong and clear memories of us trying and failing to evolve at Luminous Spring. So strong, they're almost flashbacks.
<Keeper> What was the BS reasoning we were given about that again? "Distortion of Space"?
<Athena> Yeah, that's it. But what does that even mean? Everything's back to normal, isn't it?
<Keeper> I dunno, I thought it was but... say, maybe you're remembering all this now because it's the plot's way of telling you that it's going to be fixed soon! I hope so, I sure would like to evolve.
<Athena> Yeah, well, we usually don't get cutscenes and stuff like this unless more plot is about to happen, so I guess we should just get some sleep and see what plot hits us when we get up in the morning.
<Keeper> Alright. Good night Athena. <3
<Athena> Good night Keeper. <3​

Somewhere in a foresty area, a swirling storm raging all around, a shadowy Pokémon waits...

<???> Oh, sweet, check out this awesome distortion of space over here in this forest. Man, that's some nice distortion right there. Mmmm... yeah... delicious...
<???> My evil plans to destroy time have failed, but these ambiguous evil plans seem to be going along nicely....
<???> Ohshi- someone's coming. *hides*
<???> Aww, geez, it's Cresselia again. Such a killjoy. :\
<???> I guess I better get outta here.... *flees*
<Cresselia> ... damnit, he got away again. >_< Is it the glowing moon on my head that gives me away every time? *sigh*
<Cresselia> I guess I'll just have to keep trying. After all, we can't let these evil plans just keep hapening. I must stop.... HIM.
<Cresselia> ... but, seriously, do you think the head gives me away? I guess I could try a hat...​

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 54 Charmander (Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Flamethrower)
Keeper: Lv. 53 Totodile (Ice Fang, Scratch, Aqua Tail, Bite)

Player Notes:

The bit in the beginning is a reference to this song which somehow became an inside joke between my husband and me and we use the tune with replaced words pretty commonly among each other.

... I just realized that my entire shtick of typing Regigigigigigigas with a random number of "gi"s is also an inside joke with a specific friend of mine and doesn't make sense to any of you either, but at least it's maybe somewhat amusing anyway.

Anyway, this dungeon proved to be a pain in the ass.

The first time I went in, I was exploring a lot. tl;dr: I used up a tonne of resources very quickly (didn't help that I hit 2 Monster Houses, one on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd) and then got fatally KOed on the ~9th floor. Restart. The second time around I decided to not screw around and just use the stairs immediately as I saw them. I got to the 29th floor when I was fighting an Umbreon at low health. I wanted to KO it myself in hopes of recruiting, so I didn't let Keeper move in to protect me, and then I got KOed. Apparently I had no more Reviver Seeds, so, once again, restart. The 3rd time around ended up being the charm.

Of course, it was all useless anyway because the treasure was worthless. :U I really did use up more Reviver Seeds than I got, and I also found more gummies in the first Monster House I encountered on the first level my first attempt.

So, screw you Concealed Ruins. And screw you Regigigigigas for guarding this place for thousands of years pretending that it's some kind of treasure and not just an annoying death trap with worthless rewards.

Chapter P8: ITC: Athena attempts lucid dreaming

I awoke the next morning with full expectations of plot happenings, but when Keeper and I went through the whole town and guild and there was nothing weird, we decided to just do a filler dungeon. Thus, we were off to Crevice Cave, which I didn't really remember much about but it sounded non-Watery. It ended up being slightly watery and also ice, kind of like yesterday's dungeon, and I made it through with minimal complaints. We completed both of our missions, received our rewards, and then went back home for the night.

But while we slept...

<Athena> Ohhey, lucid dreaming, cool.
<Athena> I wish my brain would think of a better setting that some weird glowing crap, but oh well, now it's time to picture the hunkiest Pokémon I can, and...
<Cresselia> *pops into existence*
<Athena> ... Cresselia? Not quite what I had in mind. I guess I'm still new to this lucid dreaming thing.
<Cresselia> I'm not here to fulfill your lucid dream fantasies, Athena. I'm here on a mission, yo.
<Athena> Damn. Oh well, what do you want?
<Cresselia> Look, this is probably going to sound weird but... the fact that you exist is kind of, well, problematic.
<Athena> Huh?
<Cresselia> Basically, you simply living is destroying the world.
<Athena> Wait, what? Nope, no, this dream is too strange, waking up now.
<Athena> *wakes up* That was certainly weird... I guess I should try and get back to sleep. Maybe this time I'll get visited by a nice, beefy Charizard.... hmmm.... mmmmm.... *zzzzzz*​

Once again, no plot to be found hiding anywhere around, we went off to another filler dungeon, this time finally giving in and deciding to do the 4 jobs we'd stacked up at the Miracle Sea. I brought a Zinc Band just to be safe. We made it through safely, and reached the Ultra Rank!

That night, I had some weird dreams again....

<Athena> Alright, lucid dreaming part two, I can do this...
<Cresselia> *pops into existence*
<Athena> Dammit, not you again. >_<
<Cresselia> Sorry. :\
<Athena> Lemme guess, you're hear to explain more what you meant about how my existence is going to destroy the world?
<Cresselia> You're a human from the future, an erased future even. No way should you be here. Your presence in this world is creating a huge distortion of the fabric of space. If that gets worse, well, it'll be even more disastrous than the cataclysm with Chaos Jackal that you helped clean up before.
<Athena> Oh, huh. Yeah, I remember the light in the air talking about that at the spring when Keeper was trying to evolve.
<Cresselia> You must... not... be here.... *flickers*
<Athena> So, uh, what do I do?
<Cresselia> *disappears*
<Athena> Well, crap. Now what? If both Cresselia and the magic evolving thing think I'm related to the spacial tear, I guess they're probably right, but what can I do about it? *sigh*
<Keeper> Athena, wake up!
<Athena> *wakes up* Oh, hey Keeper.
<Keeper> You seem kind of down. Is something wrong?
<Athena> (Should I tell him? Nahhhh)
<Athena> Nope, everything's cool. Let's go do another filler dungeon!
<Keeper> Woohoo!​

We left our cave home and were about to head to town when Zyflair ran up!

<Zyflair> Hey, guys, hold up!
<Keeper> What's going on?
<Zyflair> There's trouble! Something's wrong with Porygon-X!
<Athena> Geez, I thought his part in this game was long done by now. What's wrong with the little fellow?
<Zyflair> Come to the guild, we'll tell you there!​

And so Keeper and I followed Zyflair back to the guild and into the room where Keeper and I used to live together. On my old pallet, Porygon-X was sleeping with many of the guildmembers and his brother looking over him.

<Athena> So, now that we're here... can you finally tell us what's going on?
<Teal> Well, he appears to be asleep.
<Athena> ... ... ...
<Kecleon-X> But he won't wake up! I've been trying to wake him for ages now. So I bought him here.
<Luis> Little dude seems like he's having a really bad nightmare, too.
<Tails> And none of us really know what to do about it either.
<Zyflair> I wonder if maybe we could figure out what he's dreaming... that might be stopping him from waking up or something.
<Athena> o_o;
<Zyflair> Don't look at me like that! It's the Pokémon world. Anything can happen.
<Tails> We could probably get KA to look inside his dreams.
<Keeper> You mean that Drowzee that abducted Porygon-X in the first place to make him get some stupid treasure?
<Tails> Yeah, being able to go inside dreams is a power that Drowzee have.
<Athena> Are you sure we couldn't find a more... reputable Drowzee than KA? >_>
<Tails> Nope, he's the only Drowzee in the entire region.
<Keeper> What happened to him anyway?
<Tails> He reformed and said he was sorry, so DNA let him go. He's now living out on Mt. Travail meditating and living like a hermit, or so I heard.
<Athena> I guess Keeper and I should go grab him and bring him back in then, eh?
<Keeper> Yay, dungeon! \o/​

And so Keeper and I geared up and made our way out to Mt. Travail.

<Athena> Let's go exploring! :D
<Keeper> No. >:|
<Athena> But but but....
<Keeper> Now, Athena... what happens when you explore?
<Athena> ... bad things happen. ._.;
<Keeper> What is our mission?
<Athena> ... to get to the end with a minimal waste of resources. ._.;
<Keeper> And what does that mean?
<Athena> ... going up the stairs as soon as we find them. ._.;
<Keeper> Good girl, have a gummi.​

And so Keeper and I traveled through Mt. Travail, always going up the stairs as soon as we found them, even though it broke my heart a little. When we got to the top, we finally found KA. He was scared of us at first, but then we explained the situation.

<KA> So, you want me to go help that kid, huh?
<Keeper> Yes, please!
<KA> Man, I feel so bad for what I did before. I don't know if I can ever make up for it, but if this helps even a little bit, I'd be happy to do what I can.
<Athena> Hurray! \o/​

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 55 Charmander (Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Flamethrower)
Keeper: Lv. 55 Totodile (Ice Fang, Scratch, Aqua Tail, Bite)

Player Notes:

Stupid Water dungeon. ._.; I shouldn't have been tempted by the 4 jobs and just left it alone. I died my first 2 attempts (one against the last outlaw) and then on the 3rd I didn't need to use a single Reviver Seed, go figure. I died once on Mt. Travail too; was exploring and ran into 1 more Monster House than I was prepared for. I used a Pure Seed to warp to the stairs, but poor Keeper used up all the Reviver Seeds and then got KOed. After that, I resolved to just move through the dungeons quickly, even though it pains me.

And that's why this chapter is super late in coming. It also ends kind of abruptly, I guess, but I had a saving point and then more plot so I figured now would be a good time to call it quits until tomorrow. Especially since I need to leave to go cook dinner in just a few minutes. >_>

Just a serious chapter I guess? I thought the part at the end where Keeper was acting as my conscious to keep me from exploring all over the dungeon levels was pretty hilarious, though I know my own humour isn't always everyone else's. There wasn't any specific change made to his character or anything if that's what you're asking.

Keeper was always serious; you just fell for his initial ruse.
He picked the trick up from Team Charm; why do you think they didn't want the treasure? They knew where the real treasure was.
Of course, that treasure might or might not have been cursed for eternity.

Anyway, we did that for the children (athena and keeper); they didn't need all that lovely gold and jewels and deadly eternal curses.

I can totally just imagine Team Charm sitting somewhere and giggling and drinking tea while Keeper and I are getting our asses kicked slogging through the useless "treasure" dungeon.

Back