Writing PMD: Explorers of Time - PokéBeach Edition! Final Chapter! Help Me Decide The Next One!

Is there a thread where I can put my suggestion or should I suggest it here? :D

What kind of suggestions? :p I don't know what you have in mind, and this playthrough is almost finished anyway, but feel free to post here if there's something specific you'd like to see. :)

I told you Concealed Ruins packed a punch.

I also like how Keeper is suddenly getting more serious while Athena's sanity seems to slowly erode. Must be that whole "you shouldn't exist in the first place" thing.

Chapter P9: Adventures in Dreamland

Keeper, KA, and I used our badge to magically teleport back to the guild and we rushed in to see Porygon-X. Unsurprisingly, he was still asleep. KA placed his hand on the little guy's forehead and mumbled to himself for a bit.

<KA> Hmmm.... Mmmm...
<Keeper> What is it? I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE ANY LONGER. D:
<KA> Oh, yeah, right, you guys are still here. Hey, go out and get ready for an expedition.
<Athena> You're going to make us go out and do a filler dungeon at a time like this?
<KA> Nope, I'm going to send you guys on an exploration in.... PORYGON-X'S DREAM.
<Keeper> :O!
<Athena> :O!
<Keeper> You're actually going to send us... inside his head and into his dreams?
<KA> Yup.
<Athena> What is this, the magic school bus?
<Keeper> Who cares! This sounds like fun. :D
<KA> Well, "fun" isn't the word I'd use. There's something... really wrong about this guy's dreams.
<Athena> Well, I guess if it were a normal, happy dream full of sunshine and giggles he wouldn't be stuck inside of it.
<KA> Fair.
<Athena> Come on Keeper, let's go stock up on stuff.​

We went to town, rejiggered our inventory, took a moment to go home and save, and then went back to see see KA. He asked if we were ready, and then, with a flash of light and some weird purple wavey patterns in the air, we were teleported into Porygon-X's dream... which was apparently a purple-themed dungeon.

<Athena> A dungeon, really? Who dreams of a dungeon? o_o;
<Keeper> Well, this one time in--
<KA> Hey, guys, can you hear me?
<Athena> Yep, loud and clear.
<KA> Alright, cool, I just wanted to tell you, uh, be careful. Whatever bad weird crap is going on in this nightmare, it's probably pretty awful.
<Athena> Got it, thanks. We'll be on guard.​

And so Keeper and I progressed into the dungeon of Porygon-X's dream, fighting wild Pokémon and picking up treasure off the ground.

<Keeper> Wait a minute... why is there treasure and money on the ground in a dream? Is it real?
<Athena> *bites a coin* Feels real to me.
<Keeper> But, I don't even....
<Athena> Eh, don't question it. This isn't even the weirdest thing that's happened since I've been turned into a Pokémon. Actually, turning into a Pokémon is probably the weirdest thing.
<Keeper> Well, when you put it that way... >_>​

We proceeded as if the nightmare were just another dungeon, working our way through the levels. Eventually we came to one large room with no music and no Pokémon.

<Keeper> Does this mean we've finally reached the plot room?
<Athena> That's what I'm thinking, but there's nothing super bad here or anything. The way KA was talking, I was expecting maybe a Nightmare boss fight or something.​

Suddenly, the room plunged into darkness.

<Athena> Spoke too soon, I guess. >_>
<???> How.... How did you get here?
<Keeper> Ohgod, that scared me! I just peed a little bit.
<Athena> Who's out there! If it's a fight you want, we're prepared for it!​

The lights in the room slowly rose back up. As my eyes began to adjust, I saw Cresselia was in the room with us.

<Keeper> Oh, you're not that scary-looking. Who are you?
<Cresselia> I am Cresselia.
<Keeper> So, if you're in here.... I guess that means my dreams weren't just regular dreams, were they?
<Athena> Wait... you had Cresselia dreams too? And you didn't tell me?
<Keeper> What do you mean "too"? Did you also dream about Cresselia?
<Athena> Well, yeah...
<Keeper> So you didn't tell me first!
<Cresslia> Quit it, you guys can squabble over who hid what from who later. Since we're all in here now, though, I might as well talk to you straight. Neither of you are supposed to exist in this world.
<Athena> Wait, Keeper's not supposed to exist either?!
<Keeper> Yeah, Cresselia told me it's because I went to the future and came back.
<Cresselia> Yes, that's right. It's also contributing to the destruction of space, just like Athena being a human who traveled here from the future initially.
<Keeper> But why exactly does that distort space anyway? And how is that supposed to destroy the world? I don't get it. :\
<Cresselia> If the space distortion expands, the power of darkness will also expand.
<Keeper> ... kay.
<Cresselia> *sigh* If darkness expands, the whole world will be trapped in a nightmare, this nightmare in fact. It will continue to spread and grow, trapping countless Pokémon in its snare, Pokémon like Porygon-X who will never wake up again. The longer you guys continue to breathe, the more Pokémon will get trapped.
<Keeper> Oh, geez, that sounds bad. o_o;
<Athena> So, what exactly can we do to get rid of this distortion in space or whatever?
<Cresslia> Simple, you need to disappear. In fact, I think I'll take care of that now.
<Keeper> Ohshi- Athena, I think Cresselia is the boss battle after all. I don't want to die! >_>
<Cresslia> You mean, you would rather selfishly stay alive and watch as all the Pokémon of the world are swallowed into a never-ending nightmare?
<Keeper> You mean, if we die... it really would save everyone?
<Cresselia> Yep. Your existence is the only thing that is causing this problem, and eliminating it is the only thing that will end it. I'm sorry, but, I need to do this... *creeps closer* to save everyone.... *even closer*
<Athena & Keeper> *wince*
<???> Hey, Athena? Keeper? Where are you guys?
<Cresselia> Blast, interlopers! Well, you guys think about what I said, and maybe consider offing yourself to save the world. It would be the noble thing to do after all. *disappears*
<KA> Hey, guys, there you are!
<Keeper> KA, what are you doing here?
<KA> You guys were taking a while, so I thought I'd come in and see if you were having any problems. It's really dangerous here!
<Athena> You're telling me. Let's go back.​

KA agreed and teleported us out of the dream. When we were back safe inside the guild, Keeper and I spilled what Cresselia said about the distortion of space to everyone.

<Tails> Wow, that's troublesome indeed. If that's true, then we really need to do something about it.
<Athena> Yeahhhh.... >_>
<Keeper> Tails, you're a pretty smart guy. What do you know about this Cresselia fellow? Is she trustworthy?
<Tails> Well, I've heard some rumours, but she seems pretty nice and trustworthy. It's said that she only appears during the light of the quarter moon, and she can heal people's emotional scars with glowing light that comes from her body. In fact, that glowing light is a mystical power than can banish darkness.
<Keeper> That sounds pretty nice... except that this Cresselia didn't seem so kind to me. ._.;
<KA> Did she at least offer any suggestions of what to do about the problem?
<Keeper> Well, uh, err....
<Athena> Nope, no suggestions about that at all, sadly! *whistles innocently*
<IA> I guess we'll have to look into the problem ourselves, then.
<Tails> Alright then! Starting tomorrow, we'll have a new mission. For now, everyone's dismissed!​

We all split up and Keeper and I went back to the cave together.

<Keeper> Ohgeez, I can't believe we lied to everyone! ._.;
<Athena> Well, technically I'm the one who lied.
<Keeper> But I still helped! *sigh* What are we supposed to do now? We can't just... you know...
<Athena> Yeah, I know. Well, we had a long day. Let's sleep it over and see what we think in the morning.​

I had a hard time sleeping, consumed with guilt over the problem and what we could do about it, reliving memories, trying to understand the problem and finding some other conclusion... but eventually I must have dozed off, because the next thing I knew, I looked over and Keeper was gone from his bed. I went to look for him and found him standing on top of our house, staring out at the sea.

<Keeper> You can't sleep either, huh.
<Athena> Nope.
<Keeper> *sigh* This sucks. :\
<Athena> You're telling me.
<Keeper> Athena... when we were fighting CJ before... you were willing to take him down even if it meant sacrificing yourself... you were willing to disappear to save the world... is that the same as what's going on now? Do we need to kill ourselves to save the world again?
<Athena> Yeah, I was willing to go through that then, but... I dunno, this feels different somehow.
<Keeper> Do you think we should... disappear?
<Athena> I dunno. Something's weird. The parts just aren't adding up.
<Keeper> But it's not just Cresselia! Even the Spring said that we couldn't evolve because of the space distortion.
<Athena> Yeah, but... it's hard to explain... I mean, when we went up against CJ... I wasn't exactly choosing to disappear, I was just choosing to fight to stop the paralysis. The fact that I disappeared afterward was just a consequence of those actions. But this time... if we just commit suicide or whatever... we don't actually know what will happen. Cresselia says that will fix things, but...
<Keeper> No, no, I get it. But what Cresselia said about you and me is true.... you were a human from the future who came back and I went to the future and back... so we know that's true... I just...
<Athena> *pat pat*
<Keeper> I don't want to give up! I finally became brave and strong because of you and you're my best friend and I promised TGK I'd take care of you and... and... ;~;~;~; *sniff* I won't give up! There has to be something we can do about this. Without, you know, killing ourselves anyway.
<Athena> Sweet! Let's work together to figure out an answer then.
<Keeper> I wonder, though... the distortion of time was the initial problem... and now it's the distortion of space... do you think those two things are related?
<Athena> Considering that Dialga is the Pokémon of Time and his counterpart, Palkia, is the Pokémon of Space... I'd say it's pretty damn likely that the two problems are intertwined somehow, but balls if I know the answer.
<Keeper> PMJ seemed to know a lot... do you think maybe he could help us?
<Athena> Can't hurt to ask. Let's go find him.​

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 55 Charmander (Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Flamethrower)
Keeper: Lv. 55 Totodile (Ice Fang, Scratch, Aqua Tail, Bite)

Available Teammates: Sandshrew (22), Sandslash (24), Oddish (11), Paras (13), Venomoth (1), Psyduck (10), Poliwag (9), Kadabra (35), Machop (6), Bellsprout (15), Geodude (7), Doduo (10), Seel (34), Grimer (9), Krabby (12), Koffing (13), Rhyhorn (24), Omanyte (36), Dratini (11), Chikorita (5), Hoothoot (13), Spinarak (10), Mareep (21), Marill (41), Azumarill (46), Hoppip (13), Aipom (15), Wooper (11), Qwilfish (46), Delibird (41), Phanpy (20), Smoochum (18), Elekid (14), Larvitar (23), Zigzagoon (15), Wurmple (15), Lotad (11), Wingull (12), Ralts (32), Surskit (12), Nincada (24), Ninjask (27), Azurill (12), Nosepass (45), Mawile (25), Aron (22), Roselia (41), Vibrava (1), Cacnea (23), Cacturne (24), Zangoose (42), Seviper (36), Solrock (1), Barboach (1), Lileep (1), Castform (40), Absol (29), Snorunt (14), Spheal (11), Relicanth (48), Bagon (28), Turtwig (5), Grotle (38), Shinx (18), Budew (12), Cranidos (26), Shieldon (27), Wormadam (26), Pachirisu (14), Cherubi (14), Gastrodon (East Sea) (13), Gastrodon (West Sea) (22), Hippopotas (27), Skorupi (25), Carnivine (24)

Player Notes:

Another kind of abrupt ending spot again, but PMJ's probably going to lead us to another dungeon and this chapter was already pretty long, so I just restocked and saved.

The nightmare level was super easy, kind of a nice change of pace from recent dungeons, especially since I don't have a lot of free time to play today. Most of the chapter is plot, and kind of awkward plot at that, but for now I'm just rolling with it. It's pretty obvious that some weird shenanigans are going on. Knowing what I do of Darkrai and Cresselia, I'm pretty sure I know what's actually happening, but I'm willing to let the plot take it's course.

It's funny, with the focus on Darkrai and Cresselia in this plot section, I didn't even think about Palkia until I wrote the line about him up above, but I have a feeling he's probably going to end up being a boss along with Darkrai before this game is over. Or a kindly helpful NPC, but considering how the game leans towards fighting legendaries, I'm guessing boss. And if so, he's a Water-type boss *sigh* I don't suppose anyone knows where I could get my hands on a Dragon Claw TM, do you? *whistles innocently*

Last edited:
Athena, make sure you stock up on Reviver Seeds. You WILL need them for the final battle in the post-game storyline. Trust me.

I've probably got about a dozen or so in storage. I do tend to buy them whenever I see them in store.

Alright here goes.

An RPG I would suggest getting (If your a nintendo fan) would be the Mario and Luigi series (Partners in time and Bowser's Inside Story on DS or Dream Team on 3ds) unless you have an emulator for a DS. They're all fun games once you understand everything.

Partners in time involves the brothers to go back in time and wipe out an enemy from the past. Mechanics are easy to understand. It's a really good game in general but the main issue is compared to Bowser's inside story, its a shorter game. Regardless, I would suggest it.

Bowser's Inside story. This one is hands down my favorite out of the series. It involves the brothers being trapped inside Bowser's body and he doesn't even know it. You explore different places inside his body as the brothers as well as playing as Bowser himself. The story is by far my favorite. When you understand everything in the game, this is a really solid game in general. No issues with it whatsoever. Also, wait until you get to the final boss of the game. You will love the music that plays.

Dream Team: I've never played this one sadly (Thanks for giving me Broken L and R buttons) I've seen a whole guide on it. My first impressions are that it's solid when it comes to gameplay, good music, and good mechanics. I forgot most of the story for it but I assure you, it is a nice one. You play as the brothers and you adventure around a huge island. You even get to solve puzzles and go into dreams.

Overall, if you are a nintendo fan and you know who the famous Italian Plumbers are, I assure you that you will enjoy these games.

Chapter P10: The final plot becomes clear!

Keeper and I prepared for a trip and then headed out to the beach, because of course PMJ is at the beach, he's a Water-type Pokémon.

<Keeper> Hey PMJ!
<PMJ> 'Sup.
<Keeper> So, uh, being as you're so smart and knowledgeable and all... do you know anything about the distortion of space?
<PMJ> Nope.
<Keeper> Dammit. >_<
<PMJ> I mean, I guess I could tell you about Palkia.
<Athena> Yeah, I already told Keeper about him, CJ's counterpart and all.
<PMJ> But did you know that he lives in the.... Spacial Rift?
<Athena> Well, I figured he'd have some fancy ass home like that.
<Keeper> I don't suppose you could just Surf us there like you could with the Hidden Land, could you? >_>
<Lapras> Sorry, but I'm going to have to disappoint you again. I've got no idea where that place is.
<Athena> Well, thanks anyway, bro. <3
<PMJ> <3 *swims off into the sunset*​

Keeper and I looked at each other, shrugged, and then headed back to our own place. We'd sleep for now and see if we could figure out anything about where the Spacial Rift might be in the morning. However, in the middle of the night, we were both woken up by an earthquake.

<Keeper> Ohnoes, it's Regigigigigas back to troll us with another "treasure" dungeon.
<Athena> No, it---​

Before I could say anything, there was a huge flash of light. The shaking stopped and the light flashed out, leaving a giant Pokémon standing in our living room. It was Palkia!

<Keeper> Ohgod, I wish Pokémon would stop doing this. I peed myself a bit again...
<Palkia> Mwahahahaha, I have found you! >:3
<Athena? Us? >.>
<Palkia> Defilers! In the name of the moon, I will punish you!
<Keeper> I take it this is Palkia, then. <_<
<Palkia> There will be no escape! I shall trap you in my giant balls of light and transport you to the very place you wanted to go to!
<Athena> Oh, okay, thanks for the free ride.​

Palkia made a nice powering-up pose and then swept us away to a place that could only be the Spacial Rift.

<Keeper> Wh-Where are we?
<Athena> Spacial Rift, obvs.
<Palkia> This is the Spac--- shut up, you.
<Keeper> It looks kind of like a---
<Palkia> I said shut up!
<Keeper> I thought you were talking about Athe--
<Palkia> You DARE to distort space without my permission?!
<Keeper> Sorry. :<
<Palkia> I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill you now.
<Athena> Well, you should have planned better because there's a convenient ledge for us to jump off behind us. Smell you later!
<Keeper> Athena, what? Noooooooo!​

Before Keeper could protest, I grabbed his arm and jumped off of the ledge behind us. I didn't know where it would take us, but anything was better than eaten by a giant space monster. We landed on the ground at what suspiciously looked like the beginning of a dungeon, complete with a Kangaskhan statue at the entrance.

<Keeper> Oh jeez, a little warning next time?
<Athena> Yeah, well, sorry for saving you from being eaten by a space monster. I'll leave you to die next time.
<Keeper> Where are we? Why did Palkia attack us? I'm still half asleep and I don't understand anything... :<
<Athena> Well, it looks like we can go through this dungeon. I'm sure we'll at least be safe until we reach the end of it.
<Keeper> The perfect plan!​

And so Keeper and I saved and progressed onwards into the dungeon. The enemies were tough but manageable, and although the dungeon was long, we did have a break spot towards the middle that was handy. Eventually we made our way to the final floor, noticeable once again because of the open floor plan and the lack of music.

<Keeper> Hey! It's a dead end. :<
<Athena> I dunno, looks like more like a boss room, if you ask me.
<Keeper> But there's no boss! What should we do, stand around and wait for him to appear?
<Athena> Well, the floor is beginning to rumble, so I don't think we'll have to wait for long...
<Keeper> Another earthquake?!
<Athena> It does seem to be Palkia's calling card...​

Sure enough, with a huge flash of light, Palkia teleported in front of us and the dark, ominous music began.

<Keeper> It's Palkia!
<Athena> Oh, good, I was beginning to think your obvious meter was broken.
<Palkia> Resistance is futile, puny weaklings. You shall never escape!
<Athena> Maybe not, but we can fight.
<Palkia> Mwahahahahaha, it is your fate to be obliterated by me!
<Athena> Yeah, well, I learned in FE:A that it's pretty easy to change fate, so I'll take my changes.
<Keeper> Yeah! Bring it on!​

Palkia wasn't exactly difficult, but annoying to beat. It removed status effects quickly, slowed us down, and its Intimidator ability stopped us from acting about half the time. It took a lot of time and a couple Reviver Seeds, but finally we brought the big guy down.

<Palkia> GRROOOOAAAARGH! *freeze*
<Keeper> Huh? He stopped moving. o_o;
<Athena> Keeper, did you hit him with another Ice Fang? >_>
<Keeper> No, it was a Wide Slash, I---
<???> Palkia has been enveloped by the nightmare, like Porygon-X.
<Keeper> Wait, what? Who's there?
<???> The power of darkness... it's spreading...
<Keeper> That doesn't sound good.
<???> Would you care to enter Palkia's nightmare?
<Athena> Do we have to? <_<
<???> You'll learn why he attacked you.
<Athena> Fine, fine, we'll go.
<???> Excellent....​

Keeper and I braced ourselves as we were once again teleported into the nightmare of a sleeping Pokémon. I expected another dungeon, but instead it was a room, similar to the one we had just fought in, complete with Palkia sitting on the ground in front of it.

<Keeper> Oh, uh, hey Palkia, 'sup?
<Palkia> What are you guys doing here? I remember we battled but then... why am I dreaming?
<Athena> Well, we kicked your ass for starters.
<Keeper> And then you kind of, uh, ended up in a Nightmare.
<Palkia> Figures. Of course you two would cause troubles like this.
<Athena> Look, can you please tell us what the hell is going on?
<Palkia> Don't pretend you don't know that you're horrible anomalies causing the distortion in space that's causing all this. Of course I'm prepared to wipe you from the face of existence to prevent the spreading of darkness.
<Keeper> Well, yeah, but, we figured there had to be another way... I mean, you're in charge of space and all, so can't you, um, fix it?
<Palkia> Don't you think I've tried that already? >_< I dunno why, but it's not working. I don't have any control over this distortion, and all it's doing is getting worse and worse! The only way to take care of this problem is to get rid of both of you.
<Keeper> Oh, damn. Maybe we do have to disappear after all. :\
<Palkia> It sucks, I know, but please understand.
<???> There you are!​

A flash of light appeared behind Palkia and resolved into the familiar shape of Cresselia who joined our little conversation.

<Cresselia> Oh yes, tut tut, I'm afraid the growing darkness spreads even further. Palkia is right; we must eliminate you guys ASAP. *hovers closer*
<Athena> *cringes and pulls back*
<Keeper> After all we did... is there really no other solution? I don't want to die. D:
<Cresselia> Nope! Prepare for your end...
<Keeper> Alright, fine, but please just tell us... after we're dead and gone... will the world really and truly be saved for good?
<Cresselia> Yes, of course, I would never lie. Are you satisfied?
<Keeper> I guess so... if this is the only way... at least we'll die saving the world... ;~;
<Palkia> Hold up, Cresselia...
<Cresselia> *sigh* What is it?
<Palkia> You know, I was really pissed off and attacked them earlier, but... these guys don't really seem bad at all. based on what you said, I mean... it's not like they're doing anything out of malice or anything. In my dreams when you showed up you told me they were evil, but...
<Athena> Dude, we are totally not evil! We even--
<Cresselia> Don't be fooled by appearances, Palkia. We must end them.
<Athena> *whisper* Psst, Keeper, doesn't this seem weird to you? Even Palkia only thought we were the cause of the problems because of what Cresselia said...
<Keeper> *whisper* Yeah, you'd think the lord of space or whatever would be able to sense that himself. >_>
<Cresslia> Enough whispering! The time has come to get rid of you!
<???> No, they were right all along!​

With a flash of light, another Pokémon appeared in our midst, it was.... a second Cresselia? It raised its head and the Cresselia in front of us morphed into.... Darkrai?!

<Keeper> Waaaaahhhhh!!! *hides behind Athena*
<Palkia> What the *$%& is this *($^&?!
<Cresselia> I was just in time it looks like! :3 Ahead there is the Pokémon that has caused all of these problems, the fearsome Darkrai named... ChillBill!
<ChillBill> Damn you Cresselia....!! *shakes fist* I was just about to get rid of those jerks once and for all, and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling Pokémon!
<Cresselia> Please listen, Athena, Keeper, Palkia. CB here has been lying to you this whole time.
<Everyone> Whaaaaat? o_o;
<Cresselia> That false Cresselia was nothing but an illusion created by CB to deceive you and make you believe his lies. *sigh* So typical of him.
<CB> >:3
<Cresselia> Though I admit that I was thrown off by you deciding to take such an active role in this whole scheme.
<CB> Why shouldn't I? Everything that has happened with the distortion of space was my doing, and mine alone!
<Athena> :O!
<CB> You may have stopped me from trying to get you guys too kill yourself, but you cannot stop my MASTER PLAN. Though, if you'd like to try, I suppose you could come visit me in the Dark Crater.
<Cresselia> You won't get away with this, ChillBill!
<CB> Yes I will! >:D *disappears*
<Keeper> He... vanished??
<Athena> Well, at least he conveniently told us where to find him...​

We said our goodbyes to Palkia and then Cresselia, the real one, accompanied us back to Treasure Town where she healed Porygon-X from his Nightmare.

<Porygon-X> Yay, I'm all better! Thank you Miss Cresselia! Thank you KA! ^_^
<KA> Aww, well, happy to help, little dude.
<Keeper> So, uh, we came here so quickly via the power of narration... Cresselia, can you tell us how Palkia is doing?
<Cresselia> Oh, he'll be fine. He's working to take care of the distortion back home in the Spacial Rift. He'll probably be busy for a while; I don't think we'll see him in-plot again.
<Tails> Thank you for all of your help, Cresselia! Truly, you are as powerful and kindly as the rumours say.
<Keeper> Yeah, that whole "pulling people out of darkness" thing came in handy.
<Cresselia> Well, it's the only way to keep ChillBill in check. He's my opposite; where I can dispel darkness, he can add it. He puts people into nightmares, and I can heal them. He likes to do the nightmare thing a lot, though, because dreams are the only place he can appear and talk to other Pokémon.
<Athena> Yep, makes sense. Every time we saw him was in a dream, and even Palkia mentioned that.
<Cresselia> Yeah, he's pretty good at the whole illusion thing. And the whole reason he was doing it this time... was to get rid of Athena and Keeper.
<Everyone> :O!!
<Athena> Why would he do something so complicated just to get rid of us? I mean, I know we're the main characters and all, but...
<Cresselia> Well, you guys did save the world before. He probably didn't want you messing with his plans. After all, he was the one behind all of that stuff with the Temporal Tower that you managed to fix before.
<Everyone> :O!!
<Keeper> You mean... ChillBill was the one trying to destroy time, too?
<Cresselia> Yep. He wants to cover the world in darkness and is willing to do whatever he can to achieve that goal.
<Athena> What an asshole.
<Cresselia> First he tried to mess with the tower and destroy time, but you stopped that, so now he's working on distorting space. After all, as the darkness spreads, his ability to trap people in nightmares grows stronger and stronger.
<Keeper> So, he's doing all that himself... but what about Athena and me? And our own space distortion? I mean, sure he was lying about us being the main cause of it, but...
<Cresselia> Yeah, it's true that you both distort space, but only a very tiny bit, and it won't expand or anything. You're fine. None of what ChillBill is doing has to do anything with the both of you, other than the fact that he wants to kill you.
<Keeper> I'm so happy... we don't have to die after all.... the world will be okay even if we still live... ;~;
<Athena> *pat pat*
<IA> We're all happy you can stay alive too! ^_^
<Cresselia> Yes, yes, we're all happy the main characters can live; you didn't really think they'd die, did you? But now we need to worry about taking down ChillBill and stopping his plans. if we confront him directly, he'll just run away, at least that's what he's always done...
<Athena> But he told us he would be in the Dark Crater. Hell, he practically invited us to come confront him directly.
<Cresselia> Yeah, it's probably a trap.
<Keeper> But even if it's a trap, we still have to go! I mean, we can't just let the world be swallowed up by darkness!
<Cresselia> I had a feeling you'd say that. In that case, let me come with you.
<Athena> Yay, just what we need, another Pokémon to use up all of our Reviver Seeds. >_>
<Keeper> But she's a Legendary Pokémon!
<Cresselia> I will do my best not to be a burden to you. I've been chasing ChillBill for a long time, and I'd like to see him taken out. I might have a few tricks up my sleeve that he won't be expecting.
<KA> Hey, I want to go too!
<Tails> And me!
<Zyflair> And me!
<Athena> Definitely not. >_<
<Cresselia> Yes, I'm afraid we'll have to keep a small party otherwise he might sense us. It'll just be the three of us.
<Zyflair> Awww.... :<
<Cresselia> I shall wait here while you guys get ready for the trip.
<Keeper> Alright, let's go prepare; it's final boss time!​

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 56 Charmander (Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Flamethrower)
Keeper: Lv. 56 Totodile (Ice Fang, Scratch, Aqua Tail, Bite)

Available Teammates: Sandshrew (22), Sandslash (24), Oddish (11), Paras (13), Venomoth (1), Psyduck (10), Poliwag (9), Kadabra (35), Machop (6), Bellsprout (15), Geodude (7), Doduo (10), Seel (34), Grimer (9), Krabby (12), Koffing (13), Rhyhorn (24), Omanyte (36), Dratini (11), Chikorita (5), Hoothoot (13), Spinarak (10), Mareep (21), Marill (41), Azumarill (46), Hoppip (13), Aipom (15), Wooper (11), Qwilfish (46), Delibird (41), Phanpy (20), Smoochum (18), Elekid (14), Larvitar (23), Zigzagoon (15), Wurmple (15), Lotad (11), Wingull (12), Ralts (32), Surskit (12), Nincada (24), Ninjask (27), Azurill (12), Nosepass (45), Mawile (25), Aron (22), Roselia (41), Vibrava (1), Cacnea (23), Cacturne (24), Zangoose (42), Seviper (36), Solrock (1), Barboach (1), Lileep (1), Castform (40), Absol (29), Snorunt (14), Spheal (11), Relicanth (48), Bagon (28), Turtwig (5), Grotle (38), Shinx (18), Budew (12), Cranidos (26), Shieldon (27), Wormadam (26), Pachirisu (14), Cherubi (14), Gastrodon (East Sea) (13), Gastrodon (West Sea) (22), Hippopotas (27), Skorupi (25), Carnivine (24)

Player Notes:

And so the penultimate chapter comes to a close. At least, I'm pretty sure I'll be ending the game in the next chapter, since it seems like ChillBill is our big final baddie. Not a particularly humourous chapter, but that's what happens when you have a chapter fulla explanatory dialogue. Knowing that, in Pokémon canon, Darkrai does the whole appearing in dreams thing, I kind of had a feeling that this is where the plot was going, but it's still nice to have my suspicions confirmed.

If you've got any suggestions for the final boss and dungeon, feel free to let me know. I suppose I can stock up on stuff as necessary before leaving. Otherwise, it looks like we'll be heading off tomorrow!

Last edited:
Not a particularly humourous chapter
I must have really, really bad humour then, because I found that chapter pretty hilarious! Especially the last part.

Ok. The last dungeon is VERY ANNOYING for a few reasons.

1: You take Cresselia with you. Although this may seem like a good thing it isnt. Most of the pokemon in the dungeon hit her VERY hard. She also shields you whenever you have low HP. This can lead to her death. If you run into a monster house, use a petrify orb and get out of there. Other wise the monster house will most likely end Cresselia whether you have reviver seeds or not.

2: Long floors plus monster houses are VERY common. Expect to run into at least two within the whole trip. Also on the last floor of the second part of the dungeon, be VERY prepared because you have a 50% chance of running into a monster house. Bring at least 2 petrify orbs and plenty of reviver seeds. If you run into one, try to back yourself into a corridor. You have to buy one turn for your team to run, then you enter the corridor. This way, you can fight all the enemies one on one. This makes monster houses MUCH easier. If you however, spawn into one, then that's when orbs come in handy. Otherwise you gotta fight them all.

3: The boss at the end is very difficult (Luckily you are VERY overleveled. Most people are at least 45.) Bring an X Eye seed. and throw it at the main boss. The boss can put you to sleep and really make it a pain in the arse. No joke.

The Dungeon is 15 floors then a midway point then another 15 floors. Keep these tips in mind if you can, otherwise good luck! C:

Ok. The last dungeon is VERY ANNOYING for a few reasons.

1: You take Cresselia with you. Although this may seem like a good thing it isnt. Most of the pokemon in the dungeon hit her VERY hard. She also shields you whenever you have low HP. This can lead to her death. If you run into a monster house, use a petrify orb and get out of there. Other wise the monster house will most likely end Cresselia whether you have reviver seeds or not.

I'm 99% sure Athena already knows this, considering the way she "Athena" complained in her writing...

Yeah, I'm well-versed in the art of 1) having to take care of annoying, problematic NPCs that do more harm than help, and 2) monster houses. I always bring at least 2 MH-dealing orbs (Petrify and Foe-Hold being my favourites) because apparently neither I nor my partner can learn any good all-room attack moves.

No X-Eye Seeds, though; pretty sure I got like one of those earlier in a dungeon, didn't see a good use for it, and ended up trading it for a better item because my bag was full. >_> Though I can take a look in storage and see what's available; it's the last dungeon, so I might as well pull out all the stops.

Chapter P11: The ridiculous and not even funny final boss battle

Keeper and I ran off to town to prepare for our final dungeon. We took almost all of the useful stuff, including calciums and other stat boosters that we'd forgotten about, almost all of our Reviver Seeds, a bunch of HP and PP restoring items, and other good stuff too. After remembering that we would be going with yet another stupid NPC, I cursed a bit and pulled out the last few Reviver Seeds that I'd left behind, taking the whole stash. After one last save, we were finally ready to head off. Cresselia knew the way to the Dark Crate and was happy to lead us.

<Keeper> So, this is it, huh.
<Athena> I'd expected something darker and more crater-y, but... this just looks like another dungeon.
<Cresselia> Yep, it's a dungeon.
<Athena> *sigh*
<Cresselia> Be careful while we're in here! We have no idea what kind of traps Darkrai will have in store for us.
<Athena> No, but I'm probably sure it won't be an issue until the last floor anyway.
<Keeper> Yay, more random dungeoning. \o/​

The dungeon itself was moderately annoying, mostly for the fact that my Fire-type moves weren't very effective against almost all of the enemies. We certainly had our share of KOs leading on our way up, and even a single Monster House, but we still had plenty of ammo (and Reviver Seeds) when we finally reached the top of the crater.

<Keeper> It's a dead end. :<
<Athena> Yeah, that always seems to be the case for boss battle rooms.
<Keeper> I guess so.... but where's ChillBill?
<CB> Right here, of course. *pops into existence*
<CB> Thank you all for coming. I've been looking forward to killing you for some time now. But, of course, we can't have our final battle without me getting to gloat a bit, first.
<Athena> Just make it fast, okay? I want to finish this chapter up before lunch.
<CB> Oh, I'll take as much time as I want. After all, I am the big baddie in charge of all the evil events that have taken place in this game.
<Keeper> All of them? Really?
<CB> Of course! You know that "accident" that separated Athena and TGK when they traveled to the past? No accident, that was me. The Temporal Tower starting to collapse? I pushed it. That one time you were OHKOed by Nidoqueens 3 times on the same floor of a random dungeon? I did that too.
<Athena> Yeah, yeah, we get it, you probably also kick babies and steal candy from old people. Ooooh, I'm so scared. Can we fight now? I'd rather get this conversation over with as few random flashbacks as possible.
<CB> Yes, of course, you did always like to undermine me. You stopped me from killing TGK, you prevented the collapse of the Temporal Tower, you even managed to avoid certain death with my dream traps, but now.... now I have you.
<Cresselia> Well, yeah, of course that's why you lured us here. Did you think we wouldn't notice that you set a trap by inviting us all here just so you could kill us?
<CB> Well, that was my original intention... but now I've changed my mind.
<Athena> *rolls eyes*
<CB> The two of you, Athena and Keeper... you're very cunning and resourceful. It seems a waste to just... kill you and get rid of that. Perhaps you'd rather join me instead? You can't hope to stop me, after all, but at least this way you could still live.
<Keeper> Huh?
<CB> Am I not being clear, or are you just deaf? I'm inviting you to rule the world of darkness with me.
<Cresselia> Of, you seriously don't think they're going to fall for that, do you ChillBill?
<Keeper> Well.... maybe CB is right....
<Cresselia> facepalm.jpg
<Keeper> It's not like we stand a chance against fighting him; we've already used up like half our Reviver Seeds and this is going to be a super tough battle. I don't want to die... this might be the best chance for us, Athena. *walks up to CB and stands next to him*
<CB> So, Athena, will you join me and you're little friend here? The three of us can take out Cresselia easily and then we can move onto bigger and better plans.
<Keeper> Come on Athena, join us! :D
<Cresselia> No, don't do it!
<Keeper> I want to live, Athena, and I want to be together with you!
<CB> So, will you join us?
<Keeper> Come to the dark side, Athena, we have cookies!
<Athena> ... ... ...
<???> Nooooooo, don't do it!!!
<Athena> Wait a second... this is all an illusion, isn't it?
<CB> Damnit, foiled again. >_< *shakes fist*
<Athena> ... you didn't really think I'd fall for that, did you?
<CB> Well, it was worth a try.
<Athena> Does that mean it's boss battle time now?
<CB> Sure, why not. Just let me summon my minions first. *teleports a bunch of Pokémon in*
<Cresselia> *sigh* Figures you'd keep cheating.
<CB> Who says I'm cheating? I've always been willing to do anything and everything to get rid of you all. Everyone, attack!​

CB's minions started closing in around us, but I didn't have time for them. I left Keeper and Cresselia to take care of those weaklings while I gave all my attention to taking out CB himself. The battle was long, many attacks were missed, many Reviver Seeds used. By the time my partners got rid of 5 of the 6 minions, I had neutralized CB, and we only had to sweet up one final Arbok before the battle was done.

<CB> Gah! Seriously, screw you guys. >_<
<Cresselia> Ohshi- we actually did it. :O
<Athena> *mumble* Yeah, no thanks to you... *cough*
<Cresselia> This is your end once and for all, CB. >:| *slap*
<CB> Ouch! Seriously, who slaps?
<Cresselia> *slap*
<CB> Alright, alright, stop, enough. You can't catch me, you can't beat me, and I'm sure as hell not going to let you keep slapping me. Time to flee!​

With a wave of his... hand(?), CB summoned a portal behind him. It looked suspiciously like the wonky time travel portal that TT used to take us to the future.

<Keeper> Ohshi- he's going to escape into the future!
<CB> Maybe. Or maybe the past. Who cares? As long as I escape from you meddlers, I don't care where I go. Any time without you in it is good enough for me!
<Cresselia> We won't let you get away!
<CB> What, do you really think you can stop me? *floats toward the hole*
<Keeper> Stop him! D:
<CB> lolno. Bye losers~
<Palkia> Lolno yourself, jerkface! *smashes through the crater wall like Kool-Aid Man*
<CB> Wait, what?
<Palkia> Don't think I'm going to let you get away after you messed with my precious space! :mad: *charges up his laser*
<CB> Ohshi- *hides inside hole*
<Palkia> GROOOOAR!​

With a mighty roar, Palkia unleashed a powerful beam of energy at the dimensional portal, trapping CB inside of it, and shattering it into a thousand shards that winked out of existence.

<Keeper> That was the most terrifying scream I've never heard. o_o;
<Athena> Oh, geez. I guess that's one way to completely get rid of a troublesome Pokémon. >_>
<Keeper> Is he... dead?
<Palkia> Nah, this is a kid's game. He's probably injured real bad banished in some other realm where he can never come here and harm us again.
<Keeper> Won't he, you know, come back as soon as he's healthy again?
<Cresselia> *shrugs* Actually, he probably has amnesia from being messed with while time traveling, just like what happened to Athena. So maybe he'll wake up in some other world and forget about being evil and just live in a field picking flowers and singing songs all day.
<Athena> That seems, uh.... highly unlikely.
<Palkia> Anyway, the point is, he's out of our hair for the rest of the game. You saved the world, yay!
<Keeper> Woohoo! \o/
<Palkia> Anyway, I need to get back to fixing all the damage he caused. So, uh, see you guys later, I guess. *flees*
<Cresselia> I guess we should head back to town, too.
<Athena> Alright, I think we're done here.​

Cresselia took us back to town where all of the guildmembers and other NPCs were sitting around waiting for our return. They all cheered for us and were super excited and everyone was happy and awesome.

<Keeper> So, now that ChillBill has been defeated for good, what are you going to do Cresselia?
<Cresselia> I dunno. I guess I could just leave the story and disappear, but I had a lot of fun in the dungeon with you guys. Can I join your team?
<Athena> Sure, why not, come on board.
<Keeper> Yay! Let's go do some more filler dungeons! \o/​

THE END!

Team Awesome Final Stats:
Athena:
Lv. 57 Charmander (Ember, Smokescreen, Scratch, Flamethrower)
Keeper: Lv. 57 Totodile (Ice Fang, Scratch, Aqua Tail, Bite)

Final Teammates Roster: Sandshrew (22), Sandslash (24), Golbat (46), Oddish (11), Paras (13), Venomoth (1), Psyduck (10), Poliwag (9), Kadabra (35), Machop (6), Bellsprout (15), Geodude (7), Doduo (10), Seel (34), Grimer (9), Krabby (12), Koffing (13), Rhyhorn (24), Horsea (12), Jynx (43), Omanyte (36), Dratini (11), Chikorita (5), Hoothoot (13), Spinarak (10), Mareep (21), Marill (41), Azumarill (46), Hoppip (13), Aipom (15), Wooper (11), Murkrow (23), Unown A (43), Unown E (43), Unown F (43), Unown J (43), Unown O (44), Qwilfish (46), Swinub (15), Delibird (41), Phanpy (20), Smoochum (18), Elekid (14), Larvitar (23), Zigzagoon (15), Wurmple (15), Lotad (11), Swellow (46), Wingull (12), Ralts (32), Surskit (12), Nincada (24), Ninjask (27), Azurill (12), Nosepass (45), Mawile (25), Aron (22), Roselia (41), Vibrava (1), Cacnea (23), Cacturne (24), Zangoose (42), Seviper (36), Solrock (1), Barboach (1), Lileep (1), Castform (40), Absol (29), Snorunt (14), Spheal (11), Relicanth (48), Bagon (28), Turtwig (5), Grotle (38), Shinx (18), Budew (12), Cranidos (26), Shieldon (27), Wormadam (26), Pachirisu (14), Cherubi (14), Gastrodon (East Sea) (13), Gastrodon (West Sea) (22), Hippopotas (27), Skorupi (25), Carnivine (24), Lumineon (46), Cresselia (47)

Player Notes:

The Darkrai battle was a pain in the ass; not difficult, just annoying. The battle as I wrote it up was actually my second go-through. The first time around, I approached the battle more or less like I have other multi-enemy boss battles. Namely, I focused on keeping Darkrai out of commission while I saved my actual attacks to take down the smaller enemies first. The problem was Double Team, which Darkrai could still us on himself easily, even as a Whiffer. So when the time came for us to actually take him down, almost none of our attacks were getting through. Eventually he just ran us down on Reviver Seeds and I restarted.

The second time around was more or less as I wrote it. Screw the little enemies, Keeper and Cresselia can take care of those, I'm just going to focus on damaging CB as much as possible while my attacks won't miss. This ended up working out decently well; we even had 3 Reviver Seeds left by the end of the battle.

And with that experience for my final chapter, it's time for....

Final Player Thoughts:

Overall, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time was a pretty okay game. I enjoyed it a lot more this time around than I did the first time I played, but I wouldn't really rank it among my favourite games or anything.

The biggest strength of the game is definitely its plot. Although parts of it were kind of cliched or a bit obvious, overall it was a very fun and compelling story, and much better by far than the storyline of any of the main series Pokémon games.

Despite the awesome plot, though, the game does suffer from a number of flaws, mostly pacing and repetition issues. All of the gameplay is effectively the same (adventuring in randomly generated dungeons, sometimes with a boss at the end) and the dungeons are all so similar, and the fighting and stuff so simple, that it just becomes a slog. Having to do literal filler dungeons to progress the plot only really serves to make things worse, and the plot and dungeons felt so divorced from each other, too. I'm not really a fan of the whole roguelike randomly-generated dungeons anyway, so maybe I'm being overly harsh, but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :p

Anyway, I guess I'm glad I gave it another try, and I did have fun, but I won't exactly be rushing to play anymore PMD games.

And now...

Help me decide on my next playthrough!

I definitely plan on continuing making more playthroughs, and as my audience, I would appreciate your opinions on what game(s) you would like to see me tackle next. Games I own are a plus, and obviously, the type of game depends on how I would do the playthrough, but I've thought up a few possibilities listed below.

Another thing I would specifically like opinions on is the writing style, if you would prefer something like this with light description and heavier dialogue, or more like the traditional narrative style I used in my Jessie-based X Wonderlocke, or even something different!

I already made a list back in July when I was on vacation, so I'm going to pull it up again

Athena said:
Main Series & Spin-Off Pokémon Games: (snip!)

Since I just did a Pokémon game and I think I'd like to switch off between Pokémon and non-Pokémon games, I think I'll not do one of these at this time. So, strike-through'd. I do think Conquest will be a future playthrough to help me get through that again the same way this one helped me get through PMD, but that's a decision for Future Athena.

So that leaves us with...

Athena said:
Fire Emblem Games: I own all of the English-language FEs (7-11, 13), and can access translation patches for the Japanese-only FEs (1-6, 12). I could do another one of those in a similar style to my previous FE:A playthrough for those, though some of them I know better than others (4 & 6 I've only played once and a while ago; 1-3, 5, and 12 I've not played at all; 11 I started but didn't get far; 7-10 I know very well), so less familiar games would probably have to be done more straight.

Going the Fire Emblem route again is certainly a possibility, though Shadow Dragon (FE11) is off the table for now since I'm playing it straight for fun currently and I don't really want to play it again so soon because I'll get hella bored. Choosing one I'm more familiar with would probably give a sillier story but I'm open to anything.

Athena said:
A Different RPG: I could also branch away from Pokémon and FE and do a different RPG entirely. Most of the RPGs that would be good contenders are older ones that I know and love, such as Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun 1/2, Lunar 1/2, though Bravely Default would also be a newer option that could work well that I enjoyed. Most of these would be played fairly straight, though I could use PokéBeach members for party members again, and some games would have other choices, like picking Jobs for Bravely Default, or choosing my party members for Chrono Trigger.

This kind of category is kind of what I'm personally leaning towards at the moment, if only because I want to do a non-Pokémon game this time around and I just did an FE one recently. Not to imply that I don't want to do an FE game (after all, it's my favourite game series), but I don't want to burn people out on them or anything.

Athena said:
Other Suggestions: ??? I'm open. :U

This is also acceptable! So long as your suggestion is accessible via, uh, definitively legal methods.

Though, I will admit that I would prefer not to pick up a new game for my next playthrough at this point. I already quite a few other new games waiting to be played thanks to the Summer Steam Sale, and I'm not sure I want to add onto that pile. So, feel free to suggest other games, in fact some of you already have, but they're more likely to be considered for future playthroughs than used for this next one.

Enjoyed the whole playthrough, although this is my first post in this thread.:p Actually that's why I'm active again here in pokebeach.
Haven't played many games so no suggestions. Btw will you suggest FE to a casual player like me? I'm kinda curious but I heard it's hard. I'm not really good at games.:(

Enjoyed the whole playthrough, although this is my first post in this thread.:p Actually that's why I'm active again here in pokebeach.
Haven't played many games so no suggestions. Btw will you suggest FE to a casual player like me? I'm kinda curious but I heard it's hard. I'm not really good at games.:(

If you're a newcomer to the FE series, the most recent game (Fire Emblem: Awakening for the 3DS) is the best place to start. Not only does it have some of the best gameplay of the series, but it's very accessible for newcomers as well, with good explanations and a nice sliding difficulty, so you can start off easy to learn the game and then change some options (higher difficulty, permadeath) once you've got the hang of things.

FE can be hard, and some of the earlier games are certainly harder (previously, there has never been an option to turn off perma-death, for example), but it's more of the good thinking/tactics sort of hard, so once you get a feel for the games mechanics and develop some strategies, all of the games should be playable, and beatable. If you do decide to pick up FE:A (or any of the other options), feel free to pop over to the Fire Emblem thread is Beach Life for suggestions or advice. :)

And thus the Adventures of Athena and Keeper are no more. It was really interesting reading this chapter by chapter and following it since the beginning.

Best of luck to you in your next Adventure.

If you're a newcomer to the FE series, the most recent game (Fire Emblem: Awakening for the 3DS) is the best place to start. Not only does it have some of the best gameplay of the series, but it's very accessible for newcomers as well, with good explanations and a nice sliding difficulty, so you can start off easy to learn the game and then change some options (higher difficulty, permadeath) once you've got the hang of things.

FE can be hard, and some of the earlier games are certainly harder (previously, there has never been an option to turn off perma-death, for example), but it's more of the good thinking/tactics sort of hard, so once you get a feel for the games mechanics and develop some strategies, all of the games should be playable, and beatable. If you do decide to pick up FE:A (or any of the other options), feel free to pop over to the Fire Emblem thread is Beach Life for suggestions or advice. :)
Thx. Just tried the demo and it seems cool. Though the coming semester will be very busy so I'll wait until winter.
I shuold have tried it during the sales.:( A second-hand cartridge is not cheaper than that. Hope there will be another discount.

Back