Pokemon Opinion on Giving Nicknames to your Pokémon

I usually don't bother - I find nicknames extremely cringy! The only nicknames I ever give my Pokémon are stupid ones like 50Cent for a Clefairy or T-Pain for a Magikarp.

Why cringy ?, it's like a pet. Would you call your cat, cat ?. It's all part of the fun really, depends how much of a bond you want with your Pokémon. My girlfriend always wants a Pokémon in my party nicknamed after her. I usually use names like Link, Zelda, Saria, Dash, Volt. Or a name that, makes sense according to the Pokémon.

I mainly name big strong Pokemon like Mewtwo. I name them Snuggles or other names that don't fit them.

TheTPCProductionz said:
Why cringy ?, it's like a pet. Would you call your cat, cat ?.

I have a cat and we don't have a name for her... We usually just call her my language's equivalent to "kitty, kitty"...

TheTPCProductionz said:
Why cringy ?, it's like a pet. Would you call your cat, cat ?. It's all part of the fun really, depends how much of a bond you want with your Pokémon. My girlfriend always wants a Pokémon in my party nicknamed after her. I usually use names like Link, Zelda, Saria, Dash, Volt. Or a name that, makes sense according to the Pokémon.

A pixelated image animated by some code... Not much similar to a cat. xD I don't see the Pokémon in my game as pets - they're just fictional characters that you play the game with. Granted you can get attached to them, but that doesn't make them 'real' or pet-like. :)

mastermagpie said:
A pixelated image animated by some code... Not much similar to a cat. xD I don't see the Pokémon in my game as pets - they're just fictional characters that you play the game with. Granted you can get attached to them, but that doesn't make them 'real' or pet-like. :)
I have been more attached to my Pokemon than any pet I've ever had. They are certainly more real and close to my heart than any animal in the real world...primarily because I detest most animals.

To each their own.

^Ok... I've always said, one of the reasons I like Pokémon so much is because a lot of them (if not most) are based on animals... So, liking pokémon but not liking animals sounds kinda weird (although I know you have a preference for pokémon like Deoxys and Regigigas)... And although I really like the pokémon I use in the games and wished they were real (sometimes I even pay more attention to the games than to my real pets), I can assure that I'll never feel the pain over losing a pokémon that I felt when one of my dogs died... Actually, this may sound weird but once, I was watching a documentary about chameleons and they showed one that was roadkilled and I got so sad that I even cried for it... And it wasn't a pet of mine...

Yet, I can see news of people getting killed or dying in accidents and stuff like that and I don't feel a thing for it, so go figure...

Naming my Pokemon? I usually do it. Like with my Current team I got a Gardevoir named Shell, a Gallade named Kron, a Haxorus named Xolox.

Why did I named them that? I don't know. I was sitting there, hatching the eggs for my White, and when they hatched, and I saw what species they were, a name jumped into my head, and I typed it out. I also feel closer to them if I do name them. Seeing as how I only have a dog that acts strangely I would say having a giant dragon that I can imagine exists is pretty cool.

I just like to nickname them a bunch of random crap that I think of at the time, like, I named my metagross 'Rick Guy'

I very rarely nickname my Pokémon. Although it can create a "bland" or "unoriginal" feel for some people, to me it just feels weird nicknaming the ones I use all the time. I like their official names enough that I guess I never feel the need to change it.

There are some occasions, however, in which I do give a Pokémon a nickname - when I'm catching things that will only be used for trades (to differentiate which ones I want to keep and trade), or for gimmick Pokémon, like ones I'd only use for Contests or something that isn't battle-related.

When I first started playing the games I would almost always nickname the Pokémon I used on my team - Silverbird the Lugia, Magnafire the Typhlosion - but as I got older I stopped doing it... Actually, now that I think about it I guess I only nicknamed my team Pokémon in Generation 2, and not in 1 or any other Generation. Wonder why.

I actually have internal arguments with myself over whether or not I should give my Pokémon nicknames... :/

I'll decide to do it, but then change my mind. I'm so indecisive.

scattered mind said:
My little brother always nicknames his pokemons AAAAAAAAAA

I do this whenever I accidentally click "yes" to naming a pokemon after I catch it, but only if it's not very important (like for the pokedex).

I don't like to nickname the Pokemon, because it takes away the Pokemon name, it just doesn't seem right to me, I had a ludicolo named Michael Jackson still doesn't feel right.

I used to give every Pokemon I caught human names as a kid. Then I had a period of not naming any of these collections of 1's and 0's. Now I give nicknames to the team I'm planning on using. I generally only use puns or references. I'll use the team in my current run of HeartGold for example:
Reptar the Feraligatr - He looks a lot like Reptar from Rugrats
Asimov the Ampharos - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Asimov might not have written that book, but he did write about robots. If I named him the author's last name, then I'd have "rhymes with pick and starts with d, fudge pb censors" the Ampharos. Maybe I should name it Deckard after the main character.
Clamps the Scizor - There's a robot named Clamps(guess what his hands are) in Futurama.
Benedict the Togekiss - as in eggs Benedict (thanks James)
Latifah the Nidoqueen - Queen Latifah
Jones the Blaziken - Blaziken is a fire bird. Phoenixes are fire birds. A man who goes by the name of Poenix Jones fights crime. alsohe'sblackandblazikenisfriedchicken
spoiled because of length
Keeper of Night said:
I'm doing a Platinum run right now, with Poseidon the Empoleon as my starter.
Funny, I have an Empoleon named Poseidon on my Platinum right now. I couldn't think of many good nicknames for my team so I went with a Greek god theme and it fit surprisingly well.
TwistedTurtwig said:
Freddie the Serperior - It's a regal Pokemon, and Freddie Mercury was the lead singer of Queen
Good one. Mine was Monty(monty python), but yours is much better.

I never nickname my Pokemon because I honestly think it's stupid and pointless. The only thing I ever name is my HM slave, which has always been "Slave I" in every game.

Good one. Mine was Monty(monty python), but yours is much better.
I named mine Excalibur. You know, from Soul Eater.

I never used to nickname my Pokemon, never saw the point of it, and thought it was kind of silly. More recently though, I think after Black and White came out, I nickname all of my Pokemon. :p

I nickname all my pokemon.

It makes them feel more personable. Like they're real and stuff. I don't name them human names though. Just tons and tons of references and bad puns.

Back