Pokemon Opinion on Giving Nicknames to your Pokémon

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
Do you give your Pokémon nicknames? Why? Does it make you feel closer to your Pokémon? Does it bug you when people nickname their Pokémon? etc.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
It feels more special and unique when you give them nicknames c'B
It makes you feel a lot closer strangely too. It's creative and fun to boot!

I think if you don't enjoy nicknaming yer Pokemon, you gotta loosen up a little and have some fun with it~
Nicknames make the games a heck of a lot more enjoyable, even if they're silly nicknames.

Reggie McGigas

-
I don't nickname my Pokemon, there isn't much point. For some reason in my SS, B, W, B2 and W2 I have a Lucario named 'Mike Tyson', and I have a Hydreigon named 'B E A S T' in my W2. B E A S T is only there cause my friend asked me to nickname it that.

Pineapple X

former local demigod
I always nickname Pokemon. I don't name legendaries though, such as Rayquaza, Groudon and Kyogre. Dialga I did name Digis. Dialga is my favorite legendary, and it was my first legendary too. So I had to name it. :D

When I name a Pokemon, I kinda get a feeling that it's unique, and it's my *insert Pokemon here*, not someone else's. For example, when I name my starter, I feel like it's my best friend. :3

Chichi the Chimchar, Mango the Chikorita, Derpist the Mudkip and Daisuke the Oshawott <3

Momaster12

The Temporal Destroyer
I don't see any point besides contests in RSE. However, I think I'm going to nickname all of my Pokémon (except legendaries) in X.

Frezgle

Winged Death
I nickname all of my Pokemon. Once in a while it'll be something clever, but oftentimes it's just what first comes to mind. I also often name every member of a particular species the same thing (every Cyndaquil is Norbert, every Yanma is Ralph, every Rattata is Bitey, etc...). I never rotate team members so I get attached to the six I have, and nicknames help make them feel personalized. You wouldn't call a dog "dog", right?
actually we have a cat who we usually call kitty instead of her actual name but that's an exception

The only time I WON'T nickname a Pokemon is if it's destined for a trade. Or I ask the person if they want a specific nickname for it. I realized not everyone appreciates goofy names d:

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
I don't like nicknaming my Pokémon... not exactly sure why... I just don't like it, I don't feel them to be more closer to me by nicknaming them, I still feel a special thing for them as my pokémon without putting another name on them... It's probably because I prefer to call them by their species name rather than putting some weird nickname on it... I use those markers in the PC box (the square, the circle, the star, etc.) to mark my pokémon in the games for special reasons (like event pokémon), and I always mark my team pokémon with the star, so I really don't find the need to nickname them...

le Roi-Soleil

PokéBeach Staff Alumnus
I have never been able to bring myself to nickname my Pokémon. I'm not sure why; it's just... I don't know. I've tried to nickname several, but it just didn't feel right.

Metalizard said:
It's probably because I prefer to call them by their species name rather than putting some weird nickname on it...

I suppose this applies to me, too. I am a much more technical person than some others...

Reggie McGigas

-
Oh yeah, I should mention in Gen 3 I named my Groundon 'Mr.Cuddles'. Other then Mike Tyson, Cuddles, and B E A S T, I don't have any nicknamed Pokemon. I totally agree with metal and dustin, looks like I am a techical person then.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
I don't nickname my pokemon for competitive use, from new games, ect.
If it's a pokemon I'm going to keep around, I prefer it having it's species name.

If I'm doing a Nuzlocke or other run through, I often nickname my pokemon for the fun of it. I'm doing a Platinum run right now, with Poseidon the Empoleon as my starter. Often I do themes for my nicknames though, mythology or other things that keep to a specific theme.

Drohn

Wild War Dance
I kind of feel like their species name is already their own name, since that is how I learned it in the anime. I don't nickname my Pokémon, but do still feel really attached to them! I never like trading Pokémon I caught or bred in my game to other players.

TwistedTurtwig

It's been a pleasure
I used to not like nick naming my Pokemon (except for my first one, a Turtwig I accidentally nicknamed "Turtwig" which stuck with it all the way through evolution), since I found it kind of strange. That changed completely though, when I started Nuzlocking. Ever since, I've nicknamed practically every single Pokemon I obtain. Sometimes the name is a reference (often convoluted), and sometimes just based on what sounds fitting for them.

Take my Black 2 team for example:

Freddie the Serperior - It's a regal Pokemon, and Freddie Mercury was the lead singer of Queen
Emanuel the Lucario - Caught him on Christmas morning
Marie the Ampharos - Electrocty made me think of science, and since she was female, I named her after Marie Curie (yes, I know she was a chemist, but still)
Richard the Arcanine - Named after Richard Parker, the tiger from the book/movie Life of Pi
Gaea the Flygon - Named after the Greek Mother Earth... thing... or whatever
Asimov the Golurk - Named after the famous sci-if writer, since Golurk's a robot

So yeah, nicknaming for me has become almost a bit of a hobby. I'll find myself sitting on the nickname screen for a half an hour at times, deciding what to choose for a name.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Any Pokemon that is destined for EV training (and in the in-game team as well) I will nickname, unless I can't. I always give thought to nicknames before committing, so it won't sound like it was nicknamed by a 10-year-old. My naming thought process is similar to that of TT's.

I will not nickname Pokemon to be traded, unless requested to do so. I basically just name my favorites, or any Pokemon I plan to battle with. It's a requirement now, to make sure it's not just a face in the crowd.

Wailord_2

All's whale that ends whale
I always nickname my pokemon. It's just a habit of mine, mainly because in the older games it always bothered me how the species name would be in all caps even though you could use lowercase letters in nicknames.

I usually just give them names of my friends or of famous people. If I know I'm going to use it I'll give it a well-thought name but if I'm just catching it I'll name it whatever.

Bashamo

The Original Fire Fighter!
I nickname all pokemon I use on teams, no real reason, it's just something to do.

Bob Ishtar

Bob
I enjoy giving nicknames to my Pokemon, all though it is a pain sometimes figuring a name out.
I HATE it when people give Pokemon stupid names like cuss words and other silly childish name calling names. It's very immature.

MylesProwr

Cake Trainer
I enjoy nicknaming my Pokemon way too much.
It's really too bad that you're only allowed 10 letters.

Never will I be able to name my Charmander "LOCRIA, LORD OF FIRE"... :(

Rogue ninetales

Aspiring Trainer
My team usually consists of a ninetales, another ninetales (for safe measure) and 4 random crap junkies i care nothing of, i always name the vulpixes and ninetales something that has to do with the Japanese mythology or how adorable they are

Drokas

Who cares?
I only nicknamed some Pokémon the first time I played Silver.
After that, I always kept their species name. I kind of like it better that way but I'm starting to change my mind (after discussing that with other Pokémon fans).
I'm probably going to nickname all the Pokémon I'm going to use in X (not if it's meant to be in the box a.k.a. Pokedéx-filler) except for Sylveon, which I'm going to call Nymphala. Why? I dunno, I like the sound of it.
(pronounced like this).

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
I love nicknaming mah Pogeymanz. Though I don't put a ton of thought into them I also don't do anything like, "Firey," either. I like making actual names. Off the top of my head, Metallique the (Female) Lucario, Danny the Hydreigon, and Aira the Braviary. It just makes them feel like more than a moving image. Not to the extent of actually caring for them or anything crazy, but it certainly makes them more "special."