Pokemon Opinion on Giving Nicknames to your Pokémon

Proceeded said:
I nickname almost all of my Pokemon. Most of my names are references, but some are just regular names such as David or Brian. I've been nicknaming for as long as I can remember. Even if I'm not the best nick-namer.

Ohman, I love giving referenced nicknames, a few of my personal favorites of mine:

Chandra/Typhlosion - Named after Chandra from Magic the Gathering

Tesla/Zekrom - Named her after both Tesladonna Coil from Cosmic Break aswell as being the name of the inventor of the death ray.

Mandy/Entei - Named just because it was in my head, but my friend named her trainer Clover, and then it both clicked because it sounded familiar - I named her Mandy because Entei is as much an annoying troll as Mandy from Totally Spies.

Jing-Lei/Lucario - This is actually my most clever nickname. As a reference to the Lucario movie - I named her Jing-Lei because it's chinese for "Crystal Flower"

Kimimi/Zoroark - Reference to it's illusion ability via the Kawarimimi/Illusion Doll in Mega Man Battle Network. The first person to ACTUALLY get this reference was the Megamix and Pokemon TCG Artist - Hitoshi Ariga, during a battle on Ustream, he got the reference right away!

References are so fun to make with names! <3

I always nickname the pokemon That I'll use often. If they're just going to be boxed or traded it depends.

I really started nicknaming in Platinum, but mostly random unused Pokémon and I gave them stupid nicknames. (Example: a Scyther named Skrizzi...WTF???)

Then I nicknamed mostly my main party Pokémon starting in HeartGold.

I always nickname all the Pokemon in my team. The ones in the PC box I won't give them a nickname if I couldn't think of one when I originally caught them, but before I use them in a team, I'll go with the nickname rater. Makes them unique.

Nicknaming Pokemon makes them closer to me, sort of an emotional bond.

Most of their nicknames are based on nicknames or names (from movies or tv shows) from real life animals - even if it isn't really their species. For example a nickname I give to my sea-otter Pokemon (Buizel or Oshawott) I may give them Marlene (name of the otter from the show Penguins of Madagascar tv show), or maybe Flowers or Zaphod or Mozart (names of some of the meerkats on Meerkat Manor).

I used to nickname my pokemon all the time, I don't really do it that often anymore. It takes too long for me to think of a clever name now, and I don't mind leaving the names alone since pokemon names are no longer displayed in all caps.

I've only nicknamed a few Pokemon out of all of my games. I just think it's kind of pointless to do. It bothers me for some reason...

I always name my Pokémon. For example, my team in B2;

-Amph
-RyoG
-WalHax
-Temperrr
-RawR

Try to guess what Pokémon they are! :p Btw, I'll name my Noivern Skrillex. xD

I both do and don't; don't sometimes because the name fits what they look like; or just sounds cooler than what I can think up at the time. Other times (and most cases) I'll either make something up at random, use everyday words/object names, or name them after characters in Mythology (because Mythology has SOO many names that sound awesome!).

TwistedTurtwig said:
I used to not like nick naming my Pokemon (except for my first one, a Turtwig I accidentally nicknamed "Turtwig" which stuck with it all the way through evolution), since I found it kind of strange. That changed completely though, when I started Nuzlocking. Ever since, I've nicknamed practically every single Pokemon I obtain. Sometimes the name is a reference (often convoluted), and sometimes just based on what sounds fitting for them.

Take my Black 2 team for example:

Freddie the Serperior - It's a regal Pokemon, and Freddie Mercury was the lead singer of Queen
Emanuel the Lucario - Caught him on Christmas morning
Marie the Ampharos - Electrocty made me think of science, and since she was female, I named her after Marie Curie (yes, I know she was a chemist, but still)
Richard the Arcanine - Named after Richard Parker, the tiger from the book/movie Life of Pi
Gaea the Flygon - Named after the Greek Mother Earth... thing... or whatever
Asimov the Golurk - Named after the famous sci-if writer, since Golurk's a robot

So yeah, nicknaming for me has become almost a bit of a hobby. I'll find myself sitting on the nickname screen for a half an hour at times, deciding what to choose for a name.

Haha. Totally irrelevant, but your Lucario's nickname is my name, even the spelling! You are therefore cool, because most guys with this name have two Ms. :3

Despite my friends laughing at me, I like giving my Pokemon nicknames. If I don't, I feel like I'm just using them. If I nickname them, though, I feel like I appreciate them more. It's almost creepy how I feel bad when they faint. Anyways, I love coming up with clever nicknames. Excalibird the Skarmory, Maelstrom the Gyarados--I enjoy it. That's my feelings on nicknames. Who cares what my friends say :D

Every time I restart my game, I like to nickname my pokemon based on a different theme. Like the first time I played Black, I based all the names off of historical figures. So there was Abigail (Adams) the Oshawott...Churchill the Lillipup, so on and so forth. Another time I based names off of food, and there was the time I based the names off of colors...and that ended up being really specific. So that's what I do with nicknames.

If they are going to be on my main team, I nickname them. If they are just to fill dex space, I don't nickname them.

I love to put them nicknames.
Sometimes it's because they remind me of characters from other series. Or because its original name I do not like.

I feel like mine are.

I nicknamed some of my Pokémon to what the actually sound like, because it's silly to name a Caterpie that, especially since it sounds like it's saying Me-Her in the games and Airuowo in the Animé.

I always Nickname my Team members on the main adventure, and nicknaming my top competitive Pokemon is a must for me. I feel it customizes a bit, and gives them some character and soul.

I used to nickname my Pokemon in SoulSilver until my friend started harassing me about my name choices and everything so I just kind of stopped after that. I'd usually name them something in Japanese or Japan related. I like it a lot, will probably start doing that again in X and Y.

I rarely give nicknames. I have nothing against them though.

In White 2, I named my Tepig "Ganon".

I considered naming each Pokemon in my Party after the "outside of battle" moves they had, like 'Cut', 'Surf', 'Dive', 'Fly', 'Rock Smash.'

That'd be hilarious... :p

I nickname Pokemon that will be trained past level 50 and that have been bred for egg moves. Been nicknaming since Gen 3 and never looked back. No idea why I didn't in the first two generations.

Back