Most emotional moments in gaming.

The Last Raven

Send me out, with a bang.
Most gamers are emotionally invested in at least one game and have had many great experiences while playing that game. Make a post about your most emotional moments in games, whether they are depressing, funny, or joyful. Please try to keep it under five, but do include reasons why these moments were so emotional. (SPOILER ALERT), Personally I'd say Sgt. Johnson's death in Halo 3 was a big one, it was incredibly sad to me as Johnson had been a mentor to the chief for a long time and he was one of the few constants in the series. His comedy kept the series entertaining and provided some much needed comic relief. He was tough as nails and it made me come close to tears to see him go, though he certainly got his dying wish in spades. Honorable mention goes to armored core 4's final mission, to this day it's still hard for me to pull the trigger and kill joshua o'brien, he was such a cool character.

I think a spoiler would be great in these posts, to avoid spoilers for others.

When megaman sacrifices himself to help Lan out of Alpha. God, the way Lan reacted really was sad. Having lost his brother 2 times. Only megaman battle network fans will understand.

I think the saddest moment is....
the ending of final fantasy 13 where fang and vanille turn to crystal to keep cocoon up from crashing down, and final fantasy 13-2 where they finally get everything right and sarah dies and don't know what the eff happened to lightning.... I though that was the saddest moment.

I would probably say 15 minute melee in Super Smash Bros Melee for GCN because When it got down to 3 seconds on the clock I was using DK and the Slap the Ground attack the whole time then I was hit and spinning to my death. Right before I turned into a star like you do when you die in Smash Bros it said COMPLETE right across the screen. My friend collapsed and was in shock that we both beat that mode. I taped down the joystick in the DOWN position and just kept hitting the B button or A button. Can't remember which button is used to execute the attack but I used that move the entire time.

In Smash Bros for the N64 I was using Samus and was playing 1 player mode on the Very Hard setting and happened to get the Beam Sword and I was playing against Link. When I knocked Link clear off the stage but did not KO him he did the triple spin jump attack to get back on. I threw the Beam Sword as a Smash throw and not a regular throw the Beam sword him him right between the legs and it was pointing upwards and it KO'd him and I won the match. I just threw it to get it out of my way as the hammer was my next item. It was a well placed throw and I thought it was just going to fly out of sight. I just threw it to get rid of the Beam Sword not expecting to KO link by pointing upwards between his legs.

As soon as Link did the final 3rd jump with the spin he landed right on the spike end of the sword between his legs pointing in the upward position. I wish I had a video to show. The sword pointed up while Link spin jumped and he landed right on the sharp end of the sword. It was a weird well placed hit. That was an expert planned hit by the way since the experts do that all the time XD.:)

I remember one time in melee, I was getting Falco so I was using DK's ground pound move (B+down) and in 100-man brawl, 1 person remained (The people has this bug where they move back and forth). I went and hit him. I died. The last man. Killed me. That one kill would make me fight falco. I can never play melee to this day without shame.

Well...to get away from the heart ache of Smash Bros. most of my emotional moments comes from a handful of RPGs.
Pretty big spoilers so they're tagged.

When Crono died. Since I never found time to play this until it was re-released on DS I avoided any kind of spoilers. This was quite a shock and I loved the sudden impact of the main character literally having his soul ripped from him. But that's not the best part. Your party members visibly grieve over you. Your childhood friends are left on their own. Along with the plot twists that come around at this time and some of the best parts in the game there is one that stands out. Your best friend and companion, Frog, defends your honor by having a one on one fight with Magus at the cape. You have a choice whether to fight him, but the point is that the choice exists in the first place.
The empty world that Lavos has destroyed is only accompanied with the sound of wind. You are stranded in time and just like the player, the main characters are at a loss.

I have barely ever seen this form of character development in modern games and I miss it so much.

When Kefka creates the world of ruin. You fail in your efforts to stop him and he destroys the world. The whole game flips upside down and never again has there been a complete shift in a game. A whole year passes while the world is in this state. All you're given is a raft to scour the world for your friends. And they will be left behind if you can't find them. After traveling the world of balance, going through the world of ruin gives you a scope of the destruction and just how hard you screwed up.
If you're having a hard time understanding.
World of Balance theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvBjAvclQk
World of Ruin theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1mkBwMmcaY

And again, the amount of character development just before, during, and just after the world of ruin is dazzling. I have no hesitation in saying FF6 is the best game ever made.

Now, as much criticism as this got. I still believe that it's the best part in the series. And it also had one of the most emotional parts. When Legion dies after you choose to save Quarians. I chose to be pretty close to both Tali (relation) and Legion because I thought he was cool. I later found out that he was a very interesting character so I had Shepard be best buds with him and Garrus. When his emotions got the best of him and he attempts to kill Shepard it was another great twist in his rather monotonous character. The whole scene has amazing direction. And when Tali sympathizes with him and tells Legion he has a soul was beyond brilliant.

This may seem a strange choice but because of how much I love this game, it has to be here. When Roland dies. I maybe should have expected a death, certainly when the game was more oriented, but Roland took me by surprise. You kill Angel, as if that wasn't as interesting enough, half way through the following cutscene Roland gets his chest blown out, Lilith gets captured in the blink of an eye and you almost die. So in an instant 1/3 of your team is just gone. It also gives you an idea of Handsome Jack's power over you. He isn't all talk like everyone tells you and he isn't just a wise-cracker. You start to rethink if you can even take him on. It's a fantastic twist in a game that is just too fun.

And I'm sure Spammy will know what I am talking about when I say 'train'. Good times.

In Fire Emblem: Awakening...
1. When Emmeryn sacrificed herself

2. When Lucina tries to kill the player character because, in the future she came from, the pc kills Chrom and the world is pretty much ruined. The pc is given the choice of whether or not to accept Lucina's judgement and be killed, thus saving Chrom and potentially the world (this choice gets even more emotional when the player character is Lucina's mother). Even though, no matter which option you choose, the outcome is the same, it still gets very emotional.

3. When the player character is given another choice: to sacrifice themself and kill Grima forever, or to just seal Grima away until more insane cultists try to awaken them again.

If you played this game and never cried once, then you're a liar, especially if you claim you didn't cry at the game's final battle against your own brother.

My eyes start watering up with manly tears every time giant Luigi gets summoned.
Does that count?

I have never really gotten emotional when playing a video game. There were sad moments but nothing really pushed me to show off sadness. However, I was playing Xenoblade Chronicles
and Fiora died near the beginning of the game. That moment really caught me off guard and actually made me sad, like, Boy in The Striped Pajamas sad. Unfortunately, I have not been able to play through the rest of the game past a point not too far from this.

Shut up guys, ya makin' meh cry nao. xD

Soap. He's been my favorite character since the beginning, and all the sudden... Boom. He's dead.

Seriously, this mighta been a surprise for you. FPS games usually don't make you cry. But Soap's death... It just demonstrates why war sucks. (war games are fun, though. :p)

Flynn's suicide. Argh. It breaks my heart. Flynn is such a badass. But when you get betrayed by your own boss, he shoots you in the chest and forces you to commit suicide and killing your old friend and your ex-girlfriend at the same time... WHY? D:

Damn Lazarevic. Hope them Guards pwned yo' butt.

The whole damn game. Nuff said.

Oh boy... fasten your seat belts, people, with twenty plus years of gaming you get A LOT of those moments.

The whole franchise is such that if you play right, you get awesome after awesome, and if you play wrong, you get heart-wrenching moment after heart-wrenching moment, but in particular:
ME1:
-accidentally kill wrex because you didn't know any better, worse when ashley kills him
-having to decide whether ashley or kaidan dies (kaidan, obviously... f*** that guy)
ME2:
-finishing and have any of your partners die during the end run. I lost only mordin. didn't care too much for him back then, but it was still a pity.
ALL of ME3:
-leaving earth
-meeting thane in the hospital with space cancer, then later being there when he dies from blood loss and he prays for you
-ashley getting badly beaten up by EVA.
-bakara's funeral, if you didn't save maelon's genophage research in ME2 (I almost cried the only time I saw it)
-mordin's death and the final dialogue with him (RIP, you magnificent, crazy bastard)
-legion's death after giving sentience to the geth race, and tali saying how he had become a single entity in his final moments
-that last talk with anderson, the only thing good abut that ending.
-the final speech from shepard to the team before operation take back earth.
-all the final talks you have with your teammates, helping cortez get over his husband's death, helping joker and edi get together, liara reuniting with aethyta, ashley and the funeral and more
-coming out of the rubble and seeing the city engulfed in flames, and the choppers bombing the crap out of arkham city, running down the streets and seeing refugees huddled in corners, terrified.
-Finding crime alley and paying your respects to bruce's parents, I can't even describe how sad and awesome it is.
-the ending
-climbing a mountain and seeing all of skyrim. it's amazing.
-the first time you find a random encounter dragon, you will always be off guard, you will always run away.
the game is beautiful, and the ending... it's even more beautiful; tippi remembering everything and her, mimi and chunks convincing bleck to go back and help mario, then later going away with bleck... just beautiful.
-roth's death
-grim's falling of the ladder to his death

... But they are all from the latest generations... DAMMIT gaming industry! Why did you took so long to have emotional, moving storylines????

And many more, but those are the ones I remember now.

When I began playing this, I cried. Really hard.

I was really sad when I saw the words. BATTLE NETWORK END. That megaman series was my childhood, and finally beating all the games, I don't know what to play now. At least I can get 100% on each game.

Skyrim, when you meet The Ebony Warrior and you know that you are going to die, but you face him anyway because you proved your worth in skyrim.

The Advisors kill Eli and Alyx sobs over his dead body. It came as a complete surprise when the game first came out, and is still heart-wrenching and depressing today.

The entirety of GTAIV is depressing. Niko moves to Liberty City in an attempt to rebuild his life; to get away from the war, crime, and suffering in his home country. But of course, his arrival is most opportune, and he is thrown into a new world of pain and sadness.

All he wanted to do was be happy. He isn't even given that pleasure.

Ah, yes. Emotional game moments. I don't have much, mostly because I'm soulless, but there are a few that I have.

The last mission. Either save the girls and do Saints in Space, or kill Killbane, then destroy the Daedalus. You can do either, but the only one that will result in going towards the 100% completion is killing Killbane, meaning they force you to just let two main characters that you've become attached to, one of which that has been around since the first game. Every time my friend and I play through the two missions, we don't say much. It's that depressing.

Screw you, Terra Nova. You and your two Hunters. I hate you.

This game is too emotional. Seriously. There is only one character that doesn't die in a bad way, and there is only one that is still alive to the player's knowledge at the end, save Ellie and Joel. Tess basically bought some time for the two because she was bitten, Bill helps you kill your first Bloater (/me looks at avatar). Then, on top of that, he just basically tells you to piss-off afterwards.
In Pittsburgh, you get much needed help from two guys, the 14-yr-old Sam and the 20-something Henry. Sure they leave you to die once, but they are forgiven. By the time you finally get away from all of the Clickers, the Runners, and the Stalkers (their only appearance in the game is here), and thankfully no Bloaters, and you kill all of the Hunters, the expected cliché of 'oh, Sam has been infected' happens. This hit me hard. Not only does Henry almost kill both Joel and Ellie, he decides to kill infected Sam. After he realizes he just killed his little brother, he kills himself. Ellie is even bothered by this in the next Act.
But the one who had death coming to him was David. David, David, David. The cannibal. Why do you think your so tough? Ellie mopped the floor with most of your men. Well, you were going to eat her, so those 50 hundred stab wounds really make your death feel justified.
Lastly the ending. The one where you feel mocked. You and all those Infected, all of those survivors; you watched some of your favorite characters die in front of you during gameplay. All for Joel to kill Marlene and save Ellie's life. Which would've been fine, but OH WAIT, Ellie is the only known immune person, and the Fireflies were the only people searching for a cure! Thanks for nothing, Naughty Dog!

I'm still getting the spiritual sequels, though.

Definetely what Red Rain said with The Last of Us...

Hmmm... *thinks of every game ever played*

Let me think...

At the moment, (not sure if it counts) but a game over in the nuzlocke I'm playing right now (This hasn't happened, but I'm expecting it)

Playing a game with no saves (and there are many out there), almost reaching the end that you really want to know about... And then your laptop dying.
^ That has happened to me twice :p

-----

Working hard to get a really good score in a popular game, going to school to brag... Then finding out ten seconds later that someone beat you by 1 point.
^ Again, happened to me twice

Back