Mario Kart Discussion Thread

Amphy23 said:
I'm pretty sure that person's name is something with "Challenge" or "Abr$$" in it. Those two stalk me with the Recent Opponents list, and Chariblaze and I had to endure 3 Toad Circuits in a 4 race cup. >_<
sosorrypleaseforgivemeandi'llgiveyoumyfirstbornson.

Yeah. That's the guy. I thought he was one of you?

I am online if anyone would like to race.

I'm good for racing all day today since I'm off school. I'll check back on the computer every hour to see if anyone wants to race.

I am on for racing if anyone wants to get some.

Anyone up for some MKW? I can also hold private rooms to teach some good strategies If anyone wants.(but tell me what exactly your trying to improve/know)

Been wondering... what types of controls do you use in mk wii. I'm proud to admit that I have 100 percent wii wheel usage but is there something better to use?

I use the GameCube controller, which is my favorite controller to use. I used to play with the classic controller pro a while back though.

pokemaister899 said:
I use the GameCube controller, which is my favorite controller to use. I used to play with the classic controller pro a while back though.

I've heard the gamecube controller works really well, so if I get the chance I will try it out.

Hey people I was wondering what type of car setup you use for time trials and online racing in MK7. Here are my favorites.
Tiime trials: Metal Mario + B Dasher + Mushroom + Super Glider. I know people prefer Slick and Red Monster wheel sets but I cannot stand the terrible handling for them. This is the fastest after them, and it has great handling.
Online racing: Mii + B Dasher + Wooden + Super Glider. Great visible stats (don't know about hidden stats) all around, with an emphasis on handling. I use my Mii so people can identify me.

I personally use Lakitu, Bottle Rocket, Slim, and Swooper for everything. With high acceleration and handling, it recovers almost instantly from most hits and is very easy to control. The problem with karts that max out speed is that they take forever to get going and can't make good use of their "maxed" speed since they tend to corner poorly and are stopped by nearly any hit. Using this kart, I rarely finish below second, both when playing online and when playing the standard GPs. It got me to an all 3 star rank and about 4000 VR in less than a week and a half of light playing (less than 18 hours total play).

Anothre kart I found that works well is the only set that gives my first set trouble on courses like Dino Dino Jungle, Maple Treeway, and occasionaly Kalamari Desert. The combination is Peach, Egg1(either that or Soda Jet, IDK which), Red Monster, and Peach Parasol. This cart can drift through grass and maintain/acquire a drift boost and barely slows down off road. It may not have the best speed, but it recovers fairly quickly from hits and gets back up to top speed just as fast. It tends to hang around 2rd to 4th on the first couple laps, ending in high position on the last lap and usually finishes first with proper item useage.

If anyone wants to see the kart in action, just PM me and we can arrange a wifi race where I can demonstate.

I'll be racing on wifi for the next while anyway. If you encounter someone using a Mii that looks like Brock (the Kanto Gym leader), that's probably me.

Mostly I use the B-dasher with gold wheels, and super glider. Alternately for courses with more off-road terrain, I'll replace the gold wheels with Red monster tires.

I don't have much strategy when it comes to kart stuff. I've always used light characters like Toad, so Koopa is my mainstay. Beyond that, I like the high-acceleration of the Soda Jet, and I typically use Wooden Wheels because they look cool. Haven't unlocked the Swooper yet, so I just swap between gliders based on character. Yeah, I should go more mid-range since I'm better at dodging items than I was 4 years ago...

Anyone have some really impressive Time Trial records? I can't remember if I can download Time Trials from people I've played; I feel like TT downloading should be a future option.

You can get them from SpotPass notifications and StreetPass people. But they're random.
My best one is Maka Wuhu with glitch at 1:10.003. It's less than two seconds from the world record. All my others are just above average.

Chariblaze said:
I don't have much strategy when it comes to kart stuff. I've always used light characters like Toad, so Koopa is my mainstay. Beyond that, I like the high-acceleration of the Soda Jet, and I typically use Wooden Wheels because they look cool. Haven't unlocked the Swooper yet, so I just swap between gliders based on character. Yeah, I should go more mid-range since I'm better at dodging items than I was 4 years ago...
From much experimenting, I've found that different gliders don't really do much. there are two that I know of that give different stat spreads than the rest, but other than that, not much changes. Peach parasol seams to have infintesimally faster adjustment in pitch and Swooper seems to be able to glide a very small distance further, but most of the difference I've noticed revolves around the weight stat. With a higher weight stat, you can climb further before losing all of your speed and you gain more speed than normal on descent. Cornering while gliding doesn't work well in any case, but can be done in a few circumstances (like when I've managed to keep the glide going all the way around the last corner before the finish line in Shy Guy Bazzar).

On an etirely different note: I've noticed that different Miis have different stats when used in races. I initially thought it mainly had to do with body size/"thickness", but it seems to be more than that (attempts to manipulate stats by changing body proportions of my Miis didn't work in any predictable fashion). Any other theories out there?

Well, if you look at the cold hard stats then there isn't a difference between Miis.
The Gliders are basically the same. Super/Gold are the speediest with the worst air handling, and everything else is the same except for Peach Parasol/Flower which give better handling at the expense of speed. Even then it's only in increments of .25.
Also, anybody want to race right now? I'm sick of all the worldwide opponents spamming N64 Luigi Raceway.

Amphy23 said:
You can get them from SpotPass notifications and StreetPass people. But they're random.
My best one is Maka Wuhu with glitch at 1:10.003. It's less than two seconds from the world record. All my others are just above average.

Noooooooo! You beat my maka wuhu time! I got something like 1:18.00.

Very funny mariokart related video
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gG1ex0AAU5c[/video]

Back