Mario Kart Discussion Thread

pokemaister899 said:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOGe-uvnNA[/video]

I see a lot more luck and circumstantial strategies involved here than real skill. This is no better than GP mode.

pokemaister899 said:
Also basically the same situation with blue shells. If you got hit by one and were skilled, unless they were very unlucky, they could probably get back to first, or second or third.

That's the thing, luck plays too much of a role here.

Chariblaze said:
At the very least, they use their items much more efficiently. A person could get first pleace nearly everytime on a 150cc track and come in fourth consistently when first venturing online.

That's because skill matters more there, you could lose races based on your driving skills because it comes down to mere fractions of seconds in those races. Human players are more likely to go after direct threats, meaning you may not always be the target. But in single player, it's easy to stay in first through driving skills until the computer starts to unload items on you. And since they're pretty much all gunning for you no matter what place you're in, they're a lot more dangerous when it comes to items.

Bolt the Cat said:
pokemaister899 said:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOGe-uvnNA[/video]

I see a lot more luck and circumstantial strategies involved here than real skill. This is no better than GP mode.

Well if that won't convince you there is indeed skill in this game, will this?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F743fEJFByE[/video]

pokemaister899 said:
Well if that won't convince you there is indeed skill in this game, will this?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F743fEJFByE[/video]

I didn't say there wasn't. The items just drown it out.

Get better at this game and then try to convince yourself that items > human players. Start performing consistently well in 150cc and Mirror, then test your skills online against someone with a real brain. Once you start doing well there, you will realize how ridiculous you're sounding right now.

PMJ said:
Get better at this game and then try to convince yourself that items > human players. Start performing consistently well in 150cc and Mirror, then test your skills online against someone with a real brain. Once you start doing well there, you will realize how ridiculous you're sounding right now.

Agreed.

Almost every time I play someone in Mario Kart DD, it's a W for me, simply because I have so much experience. _Almost_ every time - occasionally it's a slip up on my part, but most of my losses it's just one of those matches where the stars align for my opponent and thunder ruptures my anus.

While luck definitely plays a role in Mario Kart, it doesn't cancel out skill and it certainly doesn't precede it. The better player will usually win the match.

edit: Also, yeah, bloopers. That's cute.

So I've been playing MK7 for the 3DS for a week or so. I just can't seem to imagine getting hit 10 times in one lap or section. The most I could really see is five in extreme circumstances. The only frustrating thing I've had happen is twice be two feet from the goal when a blue shell hits me and causes me to lose first.

I once got targeted by the blue shell 4 times in one race. Am I the only one who thinks somethings messed up with the in game racing?

Starboard Driger said:
PMJ said:

Agreed.(+1)

Starboard Driger said:
While luck definitely plays a role in Mario Kart, it doesn't cancel out skill and it certainly doesn't precede it. The better player will usually win the match.

Agreed here.

Anyways now that thats over with, how about we go with what Afro-G said a few pages back and have a little group race? It seems possible based on the number of people we have posting here.

Starboard Driger said:
Agreed.

Almost every time I play someone in Mario Kart DD, it's a W for me, simply because I have so much experience. _Almost_ every time - occasionally it's a slip up on my part, but most of my losses it's just one of those matches where the stars align for my opponent and thunder ruptures my anus.

No one's arguing about the lack of skill in Double Dash, that was fine as far as balance and skill go, but it's when they introduced items like POW Blocks and Mega Mushrooms to the game where the items started to overshadow the skill. If I'm replaying any Mario Kart game for practice, it's going to be Double Dash, and I'm not going to touch future Mario Kart games with a ten foot pole until Nintendo learns the meaning of the word "skill" again.

Bazinga001 said:
I once got targeted by the blue shell 4 times in one race. Am I the only one who thinks somethings messed up with the in game racing?

Not sure if you're making fun of me or actually being sincere, but if the latter, then what do you think we've been arguing about for the past page or so?

lolol.gif

You are now claiming that items play less of a role in the game where there are more players on the screen than even Mario Kart Wii??? Ditch this scrub mentality and realize that the exact same things that make a player good at DD will help them get good at any Mario Kart game.

Do you really think that you're the only one who's had bad luck with items? I've been hit three times by blue pain in one race before. And a LOT of times I have been trying to *** a cup and an error as simple as going off road have ruined it for me. I've raced the first three races perfectly and then a single blue pain causes me to come in third or fourth and completely ruins my run (this will usually happen on the final lap, which is salt in the wound).

Also: you can dodge POW blocks by jumping right before it fires. Look it up on YouTube and then take this knowledge and realize that the only thing worth getting upset over is you losing the banana or green shell you've been using as a shield. The POW block is so ridiculously easy to avoid that I get hit by it maybe once in a blue moon (when it fires as I'm turning a sharp corner or something, or using the wheel; I'm -decent- with it but prefer the controller). Actually I will admit that before I knew you could dodge them I thought they were OP because you spin out pretty hard but once I dodged my first one (by accident I might add), it was relegated to lulzy waste of an item slot.

The only time I have ever had any legitimate problems with Bloopers is when I was playing four-player multiplayer and I was sitting kinda far from the screen. I was actually surprised, like wow this is probably the first time I have ever felt seriously disadvantaged by this item

No one is saying that occasionally the ink blocks like a banana peel and oops you spun out, but really, who cares? Also I find it hilarious that you are citing Bloopers as a problem in the single-player because the CPU players actually slow down and swerve erratically when hit by one. They're actually easier to deal with in MK7 because you have the track on the touch screen you can just look at (which conveniently displays hazards so saying you didn't even see it is no longer a valid reason for sucking when your face@ink.

Bolt the Cat said:
Starboard Driger said:
Agreed.

No one's arguing about the lack of skill in Double Dash, that was fine as far as balance and skill go, but it's when they introduced items like POW Blocks and Mega Mushrooms to the game where the items started to overshadow the skill. If I'm replaying any Mario Kart game for practice, it's going to be Double Dash, and I'm not going to touch future Mario Kart games with a ten foot pole until Nintendo learns the meaning of the word "skill" again.

I used DD as an example because it's the game I'm best at, but everything I said in my last post applies for every MK. MK7 and Wii are only slightly (and by slightly I mean slightly) more luck based than DD due to the new items, but it hasn't become nearly as prominent as you're implying.

ninjad

Let's meet up for some group races! For MK7 this is the Pokebeach community code 61-5941-2631-6404. For wii, we probably need to exchange friend codes.

I'm in the group right now if anyone wants to race.

OOPS I FELL OFF THE TRACK AND HIT A THWOMP AND DROPPED MY LUCKY 7, BETTER RAGE QUIT

GG to whoever it was that raced me. I actually haven't played this game in months so I'm not surprised I lost as badly as I did, lol. It's harder to catch up when you don't have anyone else trying to take first!

Anyone up for some MKW races? We could do a group room too if we get enough people. FC is 0862-0433-8788

I would hop in these matches if my 3DS weren't in another state, haha. I doubt my MK7 skill level is anywhere near everyone else's anyways, so it's probably in the best interest of my win/loss record that I don't play :V

Everyone post your MK wii Friendcodes here! Register all other friendcodes on this page. Mine is 4597-6282-4580. Also, try to put p b or something like that in front of your miis name for MK wii, so we know when we are racing eachother. And thanks to everyone who raced me yesterday. I was EN star M But I've changed my name to match my PB name.

Back