News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

It's pretty good, very low cost energy scaling attack, the ability isn't phenomenal but it does let you build damage up more quickly. Could see it as a secondary attacker/support in Xerneas BREAK. There are consistency issues with running a stage 2 support but Tapu Lele makes rare candy decks much more consistent.

I don't get why it's referred to as "searching" the discard when the contents of the discard are public knowledge? You don't have to look for anything because you can always know what's there at any given time.

This is a decent card. If it was attach as many [Y]-type Energy as you like, I could see it with Xerneas BREAK, but it could still work. As for the attacks, meh. The GX attack is good, but the first attack is a worse version of M Mewtwo's and it's on a Stage 2. So, overall, not the best card, but there are definitely worse.

I think that my M Mewtwo deck just got replaced. I don't have meta turbo, but I get Xerneas's attack and Gardevoir's ability. Also, no one has realized that Premonition Gallade would fit perfectly into the deck.

I knew Pokémon couldn't make sets with new Pokémon forever...
They just can't go more than 4 sets without making a Charizard or a Gardevoir or Darkrai...

First off I think this is an amazing card in almost every way. I have always played fairy pokemon and I am very hype for burning shadows!
(I wonder if the ability stacks?)

Last edited:
I don't see it.

Infinite Force doesn't seem like the sort of attack that actually has that many opportunities to throw down big numbers – let's say you switch in on an Active with 3 Energy attached, and in the same turn attach an Energy *and* use Gardevoir's ability to attach an [F] so you have 2 Attached, that's not actually 1HKOing any other GXes on its own.

Image Gardevoir GX versus a defender with three energies attached. Attach DCE to it and use the ability to attach [Y]. Now that is 6 energies between Gardevoir GX and the defender. This comes down to 180 damage without the need to over-extent. Also note that Gardevoir GX can use Choice Band to hit GX and EX Pokémon for an extra 30 damage. This would boil down to 210 damage for three energies attached to Gardevoir GX.

Now we have to wait and see if the pre-evolution line is at least decent because Gardevoir GX is a rather self-sufficient attacker.

(I wonder if the ability stacks?)

There's no reason to think they wouldn't stack. Each one would just let you play another energy from your hand.

Also some people seem to be slightly underestimating the first attack. You're quite likely to able to hit for 90/120 damage for just a single energy especially if you were to use Choice Band and have the option of stacking up more energy if you want to hit higher numbers. 2HKOs for one energy are pretty good especially since the card has 230HP itself so will more than likely also require two hits to be knocked. You could also use Max Potions to heal damage since you only need a single energy to attack and even have an Ability that let's you attach extra energy.

The GX attack will be pretty strong later on in the game when you're deck doesn't have many cards left so you'll be more likely to draw back into the useful cards you put back in there. The main downside of it is that judging by the wording of attack you will HAVE to put 10 cards back in the deck if you can, where as being able to put up to 10 cards would be a lot better.

The ability is decent enough given other strengths of the card. Most cards with better acceleration abilities are usually only used for their abilities and not much else. The only real downside is that's it's Stage 2, but other than that I think it's a pretty solid card.

I'm a fan. I'm gonna hold off on a total judgement of the card until I see the rest of the set, as well as if something gets banned. But I can see myself possibly playing this. You would likely wanna run Rare Candy with this, which could be dangerous in a Garb heavy meta, unfortunately.

Such a pretty card! I bet the full art looks amazing! I'll need to make sure i pick up a play set of both these and Necrozma.

I think Guardevoir is overused.
Why not a Togekiss GX?
Would have worked too.

I really would love to see the fossil Pokémon as competitv GX versions. ;)

Back to Guardevoir GX, it's really good.
Low costs, high reward.
It will easily deal 90-120 damage for one energy early on and can even push it self really quick, if needed.

Gardevoir has 2 EX and 1 GX prints for the same reason that N and Skyla got reprints in the XY block, the same reason Charizard and Mewtwo get two megas while all other pokes get just one. Fanservice.

If Stage Twos have more support...

I see comments like this a lot. Not trying to pick on you, wonderful_whismur, by singling yours out.

The best support for a Stage 2 is a good Stage 1 from which to Evolve, especially partnered with a good Basic. Not a lot of examples of that, but probably the most recent is when we had Zubat (BW: Plasma Storm 53/135) and Golbat (XY: Phantom Forces 32/119; Generations 31/83) backing up Crobat (XY: Phantom Forces 33/119). The other best support is the-powers-that-be slowing down new Basics, so at least in Standard, once the older ones rotate out Stage 2 Pokémon have time to setup. That's all they really need. ;)

The "support" we actually get that has worked to make them competitive tends to go too far the other way. Broken Time-Space and even pre-errata Rare Candy sped things up for them, but swung things too far the other way. Which meant non-Evolving Basics suddenly were bad, or worse, once R&D tried to compensate it just seemed like everything was broken (though in reality, it was just the top performers in each area). Sticking to more recent stuff, I can't say I'm thrilled with cards like Archie's Ace in the Hole (the reason Blastoise had one last hurray) or Forest of Giant Plants (...). I've loved various Vileplume and their propensity for Item lock since Dark Vileplume, so it says something when I'm telling you I don't like Vileplume (AOR) and Forest of Giant Plants.

This card is amazing. I don't know what more you guys could possibly want in a GX card. It has M Mewtwos attack but easier to start doing damage. It can attach extra energy to itself ramping up damage faster. In a meta completely dominated by garbodor you can use 10 items and put them all back in your deck in one attack. That is completely broken. I am starting to wonder if we are all even playing the same card game.

Yay! Inferior ability! I still reign supreme!

That reminds me... They should bring back Tentacruel from aquapolis. Look it up and you'll see why

Last edited by a moderator:
I see comments like this a lot. Not trying to pick on you, wonderful_whismur, by singling yours out.

The best support for a Stage 2 is a good Stage 1 from which to Evolve, especially partnered with a good Basic. Not a lot of examples of that, but probably the most recent is when we had Zubat (BW: Plasma Storm 53/135) and Golbat (XY: Phantom Forces 32/119; Generations 31/83) backing up Crobat (XY: Phantom Forces 33/119). The other best support is the-powers-that-be slowing down new Basics, so at least in Standard, once the older ones rotate out Stage 2 Pokémon have time to setup. That's all they really need. ;)

The "support" we actually get that has worked to make them competitive tends to go too far the other way. Broken Time-Space and even pre-errata Rare Candy sped things up for them, but swung things too far the other way. Which meant non-Evolving Basics suddenly were bad, or worse, once R&D tried to compensate it just seemed like everything was broken (though in reality, it was just the top performers in each area). Sticking to more recent stuff, I can't say I'm thrilled with cards like Archie's Ace in the Hole (the reason Blastoise had one last hurray) or Forest of Giant Plants (...). I've loved various Vileplume and their propensity for Item lock since Dark Vileplume, so it says something when I'm telling you I don't like Vileplume (AOR) and Forest of Giant Plants.

Personally, I feel that basic cards should always be worse than evolutions. I think the evolution mechanic is something that sets Pokémon apart from other games.

By support, I don't exactly mean instant evolution but rather items and supporters that make it make sense to have a Stage two evolution. Then again I didn't mind Forest of Giant Plants so I guess I'm biased.

I just really find the feeling of building up your Pokémon from basic to Stage Two greatly satisfying. This is absent from so many decks now and I'll be happy to see more "support" for evolution even if it is at the expense of incredibly boring decks like Darkrai and Yveltal.

It's interesting how the GX attack doesn't say up to 10 cards. Does this mean that you have to have a minimum of 10 cards in the discard in order to use this ability? Seems like it may be very useful once VS Seeker rotates.

Back