[Ideas] We Might See a Pokemon Main Game Very Soon

...This thread pains me.

Buuut I'll pitch in. If GF does X-and-Y-to-the-tenth-power or whatever... well, they won't. They'd be missing one of the three axes of a 3D world. X is horizontal #1, Y is up/down, and Z is horizontal #2. Z MIGHT be a sequel and not a rehash, but considering Lysandre is either stuck under a ton of rocks in X or dead in Y - and the story has no loose ends like BW did (save Zygarde, obviously) - I seriously doubt there will be a continuation of the story.

We'll most likely get an announcement for the new Pokémon game very soon (E3), but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything big or special. I'm expecting a new Kalos/Gen6 type of game that's either an expansion of X/Y or a sequel, kind of like what they did with B2/W2. They actually haven't done anything with regarding Zygarde yet, it would not surprise me if they somehow include him in the story in the next Pokémon games.

I was the era of Red and Blue. Sure it had the worst sprite work, but that was due to the fact that they were new to the whole thing with the gameboy. Gold and Silver did a little better, but still. I'm not glorifying generation 1. To this day, I still play because of how fresh and simple it is.
I can write a book about the designs of each pokemon from each generation, but I simply put: a plain design allows the human mind create familiarity. Most children in the late 80's and through the 90's played extensively outside (not that children don't do that today) but past generations, children were a lot more creative.
These children would associate the plainness to an actual living creature and associate it's natural characteristics to it... making the pokemon more organic to the natural world.
Modern pokemon are cartoony. What I mean is that, even though pokemon are suppose to have different personalities, they have "human" personalities. If you ever worked with animals and not just limited to dogs. You can see that animals have personalities, but a it's in the parameters within their species. Pokemon are personified too humanly. That's an observation. I might be wrong, but that's what I think a large amount of genwunners are.

I feel that gen 5 was suppose to be a reboot to appeal to a new generation of people/children. it was suppose to be the Red and Blue version for new players. I think it failed on that part because the pokemon designs felt rushed. In retrospect, this is actually true. Gamefreak had a large team working on Gen 5 and each member was asked to design 5 pokemon each. Ken Sugimori took those pokemon and drew them in his style.

Gen 1 isn't perfect. I know that. And as a child I knew that some of the pokemon designs were garbage. Like Magnomite. Eventually they grew on me later on in life.

But this is not totally off topic.

The point of this thread is that we are going to see a new main pokemon game. It isn't likely.

I don't know why people care about "Pokemon Z" (or any X/Y continual), Y version is one of my favorite games, but can't we get some brand new games or another region remake? I mean, you'd be playing a game with (at most) 30% new content than Pokemon X/Y and would have to wait another year for a new game. Even though Kalos has many unsolved mysteries, I think that's the beauty of it, and having to explain the left out details would defeat the purpose.

I feel that gen 5 was suppose to be a reboot to appeal to a new generation of people/children. it was suppose to be the Red and Blue version for new players. I think it failed on that part because the pokemon designs felt rushed. In retrospect, this is actually true. Gamefreak had a large team working on Gen 5 and each member was asked to design 5 pokemon each. Ken Sugimori took those pokemon and drew them in his style.

I started at Gen 5 and I think they succeeded at making Gen 5 the Gen 1 for new players, I started at Gen 5 and to this day is still my favorite Gen of all time.

I"m a gay man and I'm also in the US Army. I'm almost 28 and I'm posting on a pokemon forum. Possibly disputing with people who are younger than 15...
so yeah. It is what it is. I'm not judging.
But if there is a new pokemon game coming out, than we would have seen leaked images somewhere. I can admit, there are some very impressive fakemons out there, but i can spot them pretty easily. after almost 20 years, one can tell Ken Sugimori's style is like. Sure, there are some that even I have difficulty appraising, but i figure it out eventually.

anyway, by now there should be some sort of hype. a picture of a mega for zygarde or new pokemon all together (for gen 7). but there is nothing. Ken Sugimori hasn't posted anything that would relate to hint a new pokemon game (aside from the Super Mysterious Dungeon). I think next year in late February or early April we will hear some news. but nothing this year.

Thank you for your service, Leo33wii! :)

Yeah, I have to agree that we would've undoubtedly seen leaked images by now of there was an upcoming game revealed or hinted at. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see! It will probably be so unexpected anyway. :)

Modern pokemon are cartoony. What I mean is that, even though pokemon are suppose to have different personalities, they have "human" personalities. If you ever worked with animals and not just limited to dogs. You can see that animals have personalities, but a it's in the parameters within their species. Pokemon are personified too humanly. That's an observation. I might be wrong, but that's what I think a large amount of genwunners are.

I feel that gen 5 was suppose to be a reboot to appeal to a new generation of people/children. it was suppose to be the Red and Blue version for new players. I think it failed on that part because the pokemon designs felt rushed.

I do see your point but I have to disagree on you generalizing "new pokemon", because although gen 5 did a lot of questioning things regarding designs, GF did a great job with gen 6. Imo one of the best designs in the whole franchise, and gen 6 is even newer than gen 5 which you refer to.

It's not like they can't keep the secret until E3 if they really want to. E3 will be the final judgement. If there are no news on a new main game on E3, there won't be a new main game in 2015.

I'm impressed with Gen 6 pokemon. None of the pokemon from X and Y felt like they were too out there. I personally like all the pokemon and, sure, some are not as well designed as others. But vanillite has been accused to be an ice cream pokemon when in fact it isn't. It's body is made of Ice and Snow that resembles an ice cream cone and ice cream.
Anyway, I know that many people felt that gen 5 had the least amount of pokemon that had good designs.

Also! What I mean about cartoony is that on the show, pokemon act like mini-human beings instead of animals.
I remember when Ash threw a rock at Spearow and it reacted the way a bird would. It decided to attack by flying around Ash at firstand attacking him. After failing, a flock of spearow were summonded by the angry spearow.
But in later episodes, I can't really remember, but I think it was a fletching (maybe Oshawat) that got angry and acted the way a child would tantrum.

I'm not saying remove personality from pokemon, but give them some authenticity to how they act.

A lot of what I have read from previous posts in this thread seem like conjecture. If opinion is the soup de jour then I will weigh in the same way, however I will attempt to relate it to trends we have seen with game releases in the past as well as applicable marketing strategies that could be utilized.

1) Based on the previous generation I would surmise that if we were to get a new pokémon game soon it would follow the "X2/Y2" scenario rather than "XYZ" scenario. I base this on the moves Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. In Black and White there were two unreleased moves associated with Kyurem: Ice Burn and Freeze Shock. When B2W2 came out, these became signature moves of Kyruem's two forms. Since Zygarde would likely be the focus of a follow up game, having two currently unreleased moves would seem to suggest Zygarde will have two formes in the next game(s) and the formula would be similar to Gen V.

2) Remakes of any game for this generation are highly unlikely, primarily due to the fact we already have remakes that came out this gen (ORAS). To date, not generation has featured two sets of remakes. Additionally, no third game has EVER been remade (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum). With the exception of Platinum, for which none of it's generation compatriots have been remade, aspects of the third games are typically sprinkled in to the standard game remakes. For example, Heartgold/Soulsilver brought in the Suicune/Eusine aspect from Crystal rather than making a seperate remake for Crystal. Also, ORAS has a new plot for Rayquaza in the Delta Episode. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to make an Emerald remake as it would be essentially ORAS.5... a remake of a remake if you will.

3) We will likely be getting a new game for Gen VI at some point, as it seems that Gamefreak is staggering the event releases per game. For example, we got Diancie in XY and will be getting Hoopa in ORAS. In terms of pattern, it would seem we would likely get an "X2Y2" followed by the release of Volcanion.

In conclusion, it is possible there will be a pokémon announcment at E3? Sure, why not.. however I'd expect it wouldn't expect it. Additionally, it would likely be very brief with a release date toward the end of next year.

2) Remakes of any game for this generation are highly unlikely, primarily due to the fact we already have remakes that came out this gen (ORAS). To date, not generation has featured two sets of remakes. Additionally, no third game has EVER been remade (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum). With the exception of Platinum, for which none of it's generation compatriots have been remade, aspects of the third games are typically sprinkled in to the standard game remakes. For example, Heartgold/Soulsilver brought in the Suicune/Eusine aspect from Crystal rather than making a seperate remake for Crystal. Also, ORAS has a new plot for Rayquaza in the Delta Episode. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to make an Emerald remake as it would be essentially ORAS.5... a remake of a remake if you will.

Just because something's never been done before doesn't mean it can't now (BW2 being the most notable example in this series). We're reaching a point now where several games are becoming obsolete in the same generation. RSE and FRLG became obsolete on the 3DS, and next gen DPPt, HGSS, and BW will also join that list. So I think it's possible we could see a Kanto remake soon. As for remaking Emerald, they've pretty much exhausted everything they can plot wise at this point, but gameplay wise we really haven't gotten the Emerald experience out of ORAS, they barely included any of the upgraded features from Emerald in the same way that HGSS did with Crystal. (in fact arguably they didn't include anything from Emerald if you don't count the Delta Episode as Emerald content). Really though, I think things line up better for ORAS2 than Delta Emerald though, most of the missing Emerald content is shown to take place after ORAS in that game's universe, and they could do new things with Hoenn like a dex expansion and more changes to the region. But I'm not expecting anything else Hoenn related anytime soon.

Last edited:
Also! What I mean about cartoony is that on the show, pokemon act like mini-human beings instead of animals.
I remember when Ash threw a rock at Spearow and it reacted the way a bird would. It decided to attack by flying around Ash at firstand attacking him. After failing, a flock of spearow were summonded by the angry spearow.
But in later episodes, I can't really remember, but I think it was a fletching (maybe Oshawat) that got angry and acted the way a child would tantrum.

I'm not saying remove personality from pokemon, but give them some authenticity to how they act.

I don't think the anime and the games should be compared too much to eachother. Sure it's the same franchise, but the anime is aimed towards a much younger age group than the games are (not saying that the games can't be played by younger children, nor that older people can't watch the anime). You mentioned earlier that you are 28, and that you don't want the series to be too "cartoony". But if Pokemon wants a new audience, they have to aim towards younger people, who in the ages of ~6-12, find it hilarious when Oshawott would throw a tantrum, and maybe not so much if Oshawott went all serious and stuff.

Back to the topic though, I personally (like many others), think we will get two new games with two new Zygarde formes/mega evolutions to go along with them, along with Volcanion, who'll probably also be available as an event in these games.

Just because something's never been done before doesn't mean it can't now (BW2 being the most notable example in this series). We're reaching a point now where several games are becoming obsolete in the same generation. RSE and FRLG became obsolete on the 3DS, and next gen DPPt, HGSS, and BW will also join that list. So I think it's possible we could see a Kanto remake soon. As for remaking Emerald, they've pretty much exhausted everything they can plot wise at this point, but gameplay wise we really haven't gotten the Emerald experience out of ORAS, they barely included any of the upgraded features from Emerald in the same way that HGSS did with Crystal. (in fact arguably they didn't include anything from Emerald if you don't count the Delta Episode as Emerald content). Really though, I think things line up better for ORAS2 than Delta Emerald though, most of the missing Emerald content is shown to take place after ORAS in that game's universe, and they could do new things with Hoenn like a dex expansion and more changes to the region. But I'm not expecting anything else Hoenn related anytime soon.

I never said it was impossible, just that it was unlikely. I prefaced my post saying I was exclusively using trends to predict, and one generation out of 5 (not counting the current obviously since it's not done) doesn't completely invalidate my observations. As for DPPt, HGSS, and BW becoming obsolete.. I must admit I'm confused. Are you suggesting that the next game will be exclusive to some new system? That would be the only way they would truly become obsolete. Currently, all are playable on the 3DS and can migrate pokémon up to the current games so long as you can complete the gen migration chain (DPPtHGSS ->BW, B2W2).

As for a Kanto remake, I'm not saying it is definitely not going to happen. An outcry from people who wish to experience the nostaliga for a fourth time could win out and they could get made. I say fourth because if you bought an initial game from gen 1 (Red or Blue), the follow-up (Yellow), and one of the remakes (FireRed or LeafGreen) then you have already be crowned Kanto Champion 3 times. If you are like me and own every version and have beat it, the you are a 5 time Kanto Champion. I suppose if you want to do it a 4th or 5th time in 3D you could I suppose, I just don't see what another remake of Red and Blue(Green) would really bring to the table. We already have megas for the starters (2 for Charizard) and 2 Mega Mewtwo. ORAS brought us Primals and other megas... but seeing as Mewtwo is the only big legendary I don't see these games bringing in anything plot related like Primal Reversion. Instead we'd just get some more megas, but any new game could do that. Now, a couple years down the road when we get what ever system with follow the 3DS I think it would be more appropriate. There may be some new dynamic or system functionality that would make a return to Kanto a meaningful experience rather than just some echo of former glory.

As for a sequel to ORAS, I don't ever expect that, and I say that with 100% certainty. Sure, the Delta Episode was no Emerald. I agree with that. However, I disagree that Emerald is a "sequel" with events that take place after the main story of RuSa. The only aspect of Emerald that took place after the events of the main plot was the Battle Frontier. Emerald was RuSa1.5 essentially. Up until the end of the game, it was essentially a retelling of the same Magma VS Aqua story just without one of the teams helping you out. Sure, a Gym Leader was shuffled to Champion and the Champion went to live in a cave.. however, I doubt this would be enough of a premise for an ORAS2. In fact, I think it would be a terrible idea. Unless they introduce some new gimmick like Primal Reversion there wouldn't be any reason to revisit the region. In sequel terms, Groudon/Kyogre and Rayquaza have already been captured. I know B2W2 allowed you to capture Kyurem even though it had already been captured in BW potentially, however in BW Kyurem had essentially no plot associated with it. Instead it just some off handed comments by NPCs. Rayquaza, which was the focus of Emerald, has been resolved in the ORAS universe with a clear story arch. It is now Brendan's/May's pokémon. It would be weird for it to suddenly be free again as a plot point. Additionally, Groudon/Kyogre is also Brendan's/May's... so for there to be another weather arch (Groudon VS Kyogre with Rayquaza stepping in) Brenden/May would have to allow thier Groudon/Kyogre to go on a rampage and then release thier Rayquaza for some new main character to recapture. That seems like a reach. Also, for those who say that Omega Ruby 2 could let people get Kyogre and Alpha Sapphire 2 could let people get Groudon I say this.. if you want the opposite version guy, buy/trade someone with the opposite version.

Anyway, to bring it back to my original post, I still think X2Y2 is the most viable option. If it doesn't happen, then I don't understand why Zygarde would have 2 hidden signature moves (Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves).

Last edited:
As for DPPt, HGSS, and BW becoming obsolete.. I must admit I'm confused. Are you suggesting that the next game will be exclusive to some new system? That would be the only way they would truly become obsolete. Currently, all are playable on the 3DS and can migrate pokémon up to the current games so long as you can complete the gen migration chain (DPPtHGSS ->BW, B2W2).

By "obsolete", I mean the games are no longer playable on current gen hardware. Right now, the 3DS can 0nly play DS and 3DS games, meaning that 4th, 5th, and 6th gen games are the only ones accessible to 3DS owners (which is important because their target audience probably does not own past gen hardware). The only game that isn't playable on the 3DS at this point is RBYFRLG, which means that the younger players will not have the opportunity to experience the 1st gen games. And when the next gen handheld comes out, it probably will not be compatible with DS games since backwards compatibility tends to only go back one generation on consoles, so that would mean the 4th and 5th gen games are all unplayable and there'd be no way to experience Johto, Sinnoh, or Unova on that handheld.

As for a Kanto remake, I'm not saying it is definitely not going to happen. An outcry from people who wish to experience the nostaliga for a fourth time could win out and they could get made. I say fourth because if you bought an initial game from gen 1 (Red or Blue), the follow-up (Yellow), and one of the remakes (FireRed or LeafGreen) then you have already be crowned Kanto Champion 3 times. If you are like me and own every version and have beat it, the you are a 5 time Kanto Champion. I suppose if you want to do it a 4th or 5th time in 3D you could I suppose, I just don't see what another remake of Red and Blue(Green) would really bring to the table. We already have megas for the starters (2 for Charizard) and 2 Mega Mewtwo. ORAS brought us Primals and other megas... but seeing as Mewtwo is the only big legendary I don't see these games bringing in anything plot related like Primal Reversion. Instead we'd just get some more megas, but any new game could do that. Now, a couple years down the road when we get what ever system with follow the 3DS I think it would be more appropriate. There may be some new dynamic or system functionality that would make a return to Kanto a meaningful experience rather than just some echo of former glory.

The main plot doesn't really need a legendary to be interesting, in fact it'd actually be more interesting if they wrote a plot that doesn't end with an apocalyptic legendary battle because that's starting to get repetitive. Fleshing out the story with better characterization and a motive for Team Rocket that doesn't amount to "let's do bad stuff because why not", that would be enough. Beyond that, there's also a lot they could do for Kanto's design and gameplay to spice things up. A lot of the areas are very simplistic and show their age, so they could do with major redesigns. The Kanto Dex is by far the worst balanced in the series and could do with new Pokemon. There's no big regional feature like Contests or Secret Bases. There's so much they could do to flesh out the games that it doesn't matter if they have some grandiose new legendary form or new hardware feature, just making Kanto feel like a game made in the 21st century would be enough.

As for a sequel to ORAS, I don't ever expect that, and I say that with 100% certainty. Sure, the Delta Episode was no Emerald. I agree with that. However, I disagree that Emerald is a "sequel" with events that take place after the main story of RuSa. The only aspect of Emerald that took place after the events of the main plot was the Battle Frontier. Emerald was RuSa1.5 essentially.

That's the way it works in the originals, but not ORAS. There's various references scattered in ORAS towards Emerald elements happening after that game's events. The Battle Frontier is still in construction. Steven is about to retire as Champion. Devon is working on Match Call for the Pokenav. It works differently for ORAS, instead of these things being an alternate universe from the originals they happen in the future, setting things up for a potential sequel.

Up until the end of the game, it was essentially a retelling of the same Magma VS Aqua story just without one of the teams helping you out. Sure, a Gym Leader was shuffled to Champion and the Champion went to live in a cave.. however, I doubt this would be enough of a premise for an ORAS2. In fact, I think it would be a terrible idea. Unless they introduce some new gimmick like Primal Reversion there wouldn't be any reason to revisit the region.

Not having a new feature like Primal Reversion to show off isn't really the problem as much as it is that they've exhausted all of their possibilities for mascots ATM, which is the only thing holding them back from doing this. Other than that, who cares? The upgrades to the region design, Hoenn Dex, and extra features are more important.

In sequel terms, Groudon/Kyogre and Rayquaza have already been captured. I know B2W2 allowed you to capture Kyurem even though it had already been captured in BW potentially, however in BW Kyurem had essentially no plot associated with it. Instead it just some off handed comments by NPCs. Rayquaza, which was the focus of Emerald, has been resolved in the ORAS universe with a clear story arch. It is now Brendan's/May's pokémon. It would be weird for it to suddenly be free again as a plot point. Additionally, Groudon/Kyogre is also Brendan's/May's... so for there to be another weather arch (Groudon VS Kyogre with Rayquaza stepping in) Brenden/May would have to allow thier Groudon/Kyogre to go on a rampage and then release thier Rayquaza for some new main character to recapture. That seems like a reach. Also, for those who say that Omega Ruby 2 could let people get Kyogre and Alpha Sapphire 2 could let people get Groudon I say this.. if you want the opposite version guy, buy/trade someone with the opposite version.

Rayquaza was also involved in Emerald's plot, and yet it still manages to show up in HGSS. They don't really care too much about this, if they want to include a particular legendary, they'll put it in regardless of who has them. And if someone did catch them in the storyline they'll come up with an excuse for them to be released.

Interesting point of view, however from a marketing standpoint I still don't think a Kanto remake or some Emerald-esque thing is the way to round out Gen 6. It should be something Kalos related since Kalos is the region of Gen 6.

Interesting point of view, however from a marketing standpoint I still don't think a Kanto remake or some Emerald-esque thing is the way to round out Gen 6. It should be something Kalos related since Kalos is the region of Gen 6.

And I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying it's possible.

If it's true that June 16th is the next coro coro (read it in the OP), that coencidedes directly with the day of Nintendo's E3 presentation. Not saying this confirms anything, but coro coro could easily show the new Pokemon games this month and also have E3 reveal them =)

If it's true that June 16th is the next coro coro (read it in the OP), that coencidedes directly with the day of Nintendo's E3 presentation. Not saying this confirms anything, but coro coro could easily show the new Pokemon games this month and also have E3 reveal them =)

since corocoro tends to leak even a week before the official release though... would they risk it leaking stuff that's supposed to be huge reveal saved for E3?

I doubt it. If they have huge reveal at E3, they'd save that for next corocoro I think.. especially with how japanese news-sources like that sundayshow and corocoro tend to be behind ever since we've had simultaneous releases internationally. I even feel sometimes like they reveal way too much and way too early officially these years, and I have a feeling it's because they don't want to allow these confusing reactions to leaks that seem to have mostly a negative impact (like gen V starters being revealed and the world discussing their legitimacy for so long that many people associate them as fakes to some degree, which has an inherent negative connotation to many people. or like how the whole gen 5 spritesheet was leaked, overwhelming everyone and triggering reactions it probably wouldnt have gotten if players were introduced to the creatures on a one by one basis, or at least hand-picked groups of ~5 diverse at a time as corocoro did often etc etc..)

Back