Discussion I Hope Gardevoir Gets Banned. I Seriously think it's too Overpowered.

I agree that there is a busted factor to it, with Turtonator-GX easily reaching 250 damage. But the fact that it won one recent regional does not mean that it is dominant with no room for other decks, like Shiftry with FOGP in Expanded or ShayToad back in 2015 with Lysandre’s Trump Card. Volc is just like any other deck in that it has good matchups, like Metagross and Golisopod, and bad matchups, like Greninja (which Igor somehow beat) and Gardevoir (even though my Turtonator deck seems to walk through it). I would quit whining about stuff being broken, though. It should not be a term to be taken lightly and the only broken cards throughout history for me were Slowking Neo Genesis and Lysandre’s Trump Card.

Volc's matchup against Gardevoir I would say is 50/50 because it's hard if they get multiple Gardevoirs out. Yeah, you somehow take one out and they have another ready to go. It's tough.

While I don't think it should be banned, I find it a very boring deck. I traded one Gardevoir for a alolan raichu prerelease promo and I don't regret it. (I did it because I think the new Solgaleo will destroy Gardevoir.)

I dont think Gardevoir GX should be banned because it doesn't meet the criteria for banning which to my understanding is

"A card that itself or in combination disrupts how the game is meant to be played."

The recent banned cards would make an opponent lose literally in one or two turns. Gardevoir can definitely be beaten and I consistently beat it with most of the top meta decks. I also play Garde and I have been beaten by many meta decks. Its a great card with great deck engine possibilities but its not broken or toxic to the game.

If you are having trouble playing it or losing to it- I would analyze your games and I suspect when playing Garde you are over extending or when playing against Garde you allow the opponent to set up nicely. Those are the two most common mistakes I see in Garde Players and Opponents of Garde that make people feel really strongly about the card/ deck in the negative.

Hope this helps!

I don't think Gardevoir should be banned, but the one thing a personally really dislike about the card (that isn't a common complaint as far as I know), is that the GX attack completely invalidates resource constraining decks or 'disruption' decks.

Although decks like quad Sylveon or other stalling approaches also aren't exactly the most healthy archtype for the game, just having a already extremely high power card (Gardevoir GX) have a build-in hardcounter to those styles of deck seems a bit excessive when 1) cards that support disruption style decks do still get printed, but almost never can be viable/relevant since Twilight GX exists, and 2) there are aleady plenty of valid options to combat those types of decks anyway (Brock's Grit, Super Rod, Special Charge, easy switching with Guzma, etc)

Just my 2 cents.

Simply because of the numbers it can hit.
The price of those numbers is energy. Does that not make Starmie the broken card?

Can we stop calling cards broken? This game is complex, and no matter what we call broken, there will always be yet another card to blame for enabling the one card to be broken.

I agree that there is a busted factor to it, with Turtonator-GX easily reaching 250 damage. But the fact that it won one recent regional does not mean that it is dominant with no room for other decks, like Shiftry with FOGP in Expanded or ShayToad back in 2015 with Lysandre’s Trump Card. Volc is just like any other deck in that it has good matchups, like Metagross and Golisopod, and bad matchups, like Greninja (which Igor somehow beat) and Gardevoir (even though my Turtonator deck seems to walk through it). I would quit whining about stuff being broken, though. It should not be a term to be taken lightly and the only broken cards throughout history for me were Slowking Neo Genesis and Lysandre’s Trump Card.

Every deck has good and bad matchups but Gardevoir and Volcanion don't care about their matchups. I say Gardevoir is broken because of how self-contained the card is. Can use DCE and a ability to get more energy in play. Getting two turn two Gardevoir-GX is pretty much GG and because it scales bases on energy on both Pokemon, unless you're playing the deck in a mirror, it's pretty hard to do anything as the opponent since you need to trade Prize cards. The deck also plays cards to pick up Gardevoir so trades are never in your favor. HP is also somehow lower and around the 190-200 mark, which are all numbers Gardevoir can easily hit thanks to Choice Band.

If I say a card is broken, there is a reason for it. I don't throw the term around lightly.

The price of those numbers is energy. Does that not make Starmie the broken card?

Can we stop calling cards broken? This game is complex, and no matter what we call broken, there will always be yet another card to blame for enabling the one card to be broken.

Starmie is a means to a end. Starmie doesn't do everything, Gardevoir-GX does. Metagross-GX is a balanced card and while being self-contained, it doesn't have a broken attack.

Than why not ban pikachu EX, it can hit 400 damage a turn with magnazone?
(Wow ten people are weiwing this forum!)

We should pobaby get back to the topic instead of talking about whatever card you just got beat by at leuge

Last edited:
We should pobaby get back to the topic instead of talking about whatever card you just got beat by at leuge
I mean that was probably the reason for the topic lol. People don't understand the meaning of broken judging from the butthurt going on. Like just learn the matchup people not every matchup is winnable and the top players no it but the matchups that are not 100-0 the good players take the time to learn what to do.

Discussion has devolved to overblown comments and semi personal attacks. Just remember everyone, you can say someone is wrong, or disagree with someone without attacking them personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gardevoir is certainly one of (if not the) most powerful pokemon in standard play currently. It has the rare combination of an ability that directly enhances the attack, an attack that is incredibly powerful, and respectable HP that is out of the OHKO range for most Pokemon.

Its weakness to metal is not really a problem, but the fact that it has to evolve from a low-HP poke is a problem.

I don't consider it a broken card, although the fact that it can power up with Double-Colorless and its own ability very quickly brings it into the realm of discussion. If the attack would have read that the damage was based on the BASIC energies attached to both pokemon, it wouldn't be so crazy good.

Back