How will Ash lose the Pokémon League in X / Y?

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
In each league, Ash manages to find a way to lose, so how do you think he'll lose this time?

In the Indigo Ash lost, because of disobedience and most of his mon were too tired, Silver because of some poor choices and because Ash knew nothing about 3rd gen mon, in Ever Grande, possibly because he used the same Pokemon over and over and they were tired or Ash didn't take Meowth in boots seriously, Lilly of the Valley because of cheapness and Vertress because of stupidity.

I think Ash will lose the league through all his Pokémon being too worn out (like Indigo), but this time Ash doesn't have the brains to use any reserves (like in Ever Grande and Vertress).

So far his rankings are:

So maybe he'll go back to 16 again?

RE: How will Ash lose the league in XY?

frezgle said:
So does the Orange Islands arc not count? :v

OI and BF are different, because he just had to fight the leader to win and not a bunch of random trainers.

He'll get to the final, it'll be rescheduled because of Jessie and James (I don't even know if they are Team Rocket anymore) or some stupid thing and Ash will oversleep and forfeit. Rinse repeat for every episode. Maybe he'll just be a bad trainer again? Isn't that why he loses everything including friends?

I love how this thread is "How will Ash lose..."

I'm with Delta on this one. Ash isn't really portrayed like the kind of trainer who's got winning as a profession. And he seems to become worse in every season. Especially considering how he loses to leaders and rivals as well, I'd say Ash's losses come from the immaturity that pretty much defines him more and more with each episode. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised even if Ash loses because he sent out Pikachu against a Ground-type.

ChillBill said:
I'm with Delta on this one. Ash isn't really portrayed like the kind of trainer who's got winning as a profession. And he seems to become worse in every season. Especially considering how he loses to leaders and rivals as well, I'd say Ash's losses come from the immaturity that pretty much defines him more and more with each episode. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised even if Ash loses because he sent out Pikachu against a Ground-type.

Duh, his Pikachu knows Levitate.

No really, I watched an episode at MA Regionals that was playing on the screen and he thought it was clever to not send out a pokemon with type advantage. Instead, he sent out one that had a disadvantage or the same type. >.>

^ They do that on purpose in the hope that it will switch things up and make things more interesting. Does it work? Meh..... I guess. I'd rather Ash be doing that than choosing the predictable option all the time. At least with this he will sometimes use an effective Pokemon and sometimes he will not. It's better that way.

Btw Blob, this thread is hilarious. We all know how it's going to end so we might as well cast bets haha.

My guess is that most of his Pokemon will for some reason not have evolved even one stage, as always, while everyone else's Pokemon are super strong and consequently he will eventually lose because he is hopelessly under powered. Like really? We are in the N arc and Oshawott and Snivy are still around lol.

Elite Stride said:
^ They do that on purpose in the hope that it will switch things up and make things more interesting. Does it work? Meh.... I guess. I'd rather Ash be doing that than choosing the predictable option all the time. At least with this he will sometimes use an effective Pokemon and sometimes he will not. It's better that way.

Btw Blob, this thread is hilarious. We all know how it's going to end so we might as well cast bets haha.

My guess is that most of his Pokemon will for some reason not have evolved even one stage, as always, while everyone else's Pokemon are super strong and consequently he will eventually lose because he is hopelessly under powered. Like really? We are in the N arc and Oshawott and Snivy are still around lol.

Apparently the reason why so many are unevolved, is because there aren't any contests and apparently the contests usually fill the cute criteria, so no contests means Ash's Pokémon have to fill it.

BTW, Ash had most of his Pokémon FE in the Ever Grande, all FE (bar Pikachu and Gible) in Lilly of the Valley. Also, Ash had no choice but to use unevolved Pokémon (bar Charizard) against Ritchie because his Pidgeotto was too tired.

I think it's gonna be either like A.) first Gen and he loses to his rival (that douche guy who's name I can't remember, Trip was it?) or B.) Lose to some ridiculously OP background character who has every single legendary Pokemon.

Ash will lose because near the end of the battle, he starts to remember all his soul-crushing losses in the other Leagues, causing him to have a mental break-down. He therefor can not think and is about to forfeit because he knows defeat is imminent. But then, a shining moment of hope! Right before being the opponent's Pokemon delivers the last blow, Ash's last Pokemon (not Pikachu, because Pikachu went into battle the previous round and is too badly injured to fight) evolves, but at the same time it begins to evolve, the attack hits, and it faints.

Ash's hope of ever winning again is lost. (right before the League, he suffered from a painful losing streak, so this loss is even harder on him because he had just started winning again) Later that night, his friends cheer him up, and congratulate him for trying and making it as far as he did. As Ash wipes the tears from his face, he realizes how proud he is of his Pokemon, (especially the one that evolved in the last battle, because it's special to him) and becomes happy, normal Ash again.

Que moonlit background and fireworks going off, and Ash and friends talking. Narrator says stuff about the group's next journey, etc. End episode.

Brave Vesperia said:
Ash will lose because near the end of the battle, he starts to remember all his soul-crushing losses in the other Leagues, causing him to have a mental break-down. He therefor can not think and is about to forfeit because he knows defeat is imminent. But then, a shining moment of hope! Right before being the opponent's Pokemon delivers the last blow, Ash's last Pokemon (not Pikachu, because Pikachu went into battle the previous round and is too badly injured to fight) evolves, but at the same time it begins to evolve, the attack hits, and it faints.

Ash's hope of ever winning again is lost. (right before the League, he suffered from a painful losing streak, so this loss is even harder on him because he had just started winning again) Later that night, his friends cheer him up, and congratulate him for trying and making it as far as he did. As Ash wipes the tears from his face, he realizes how proud he is of his Pokemon, (especially the one that evolved in the last battle, because it's special to him) and becomes happy, normal Ash again.

Que moonlit background and fireworks going off, and Ash and friends talking. Narrator says stuff about the group's next journey, etc. End episode.

The only problem with this, is Ash wouldn't be sad at losing, because if he wasn't sad about losing to Cameron, then he'll NEVER be sad about it.

Ash gets 360 tomahawked across the map

Ash probably loses because he still doesn't understand what weaknesses are.

Blob said:
BTW, Ash had most of his Pokémon FE in the Ever Grande, all FE (bar Pikachu and Gible) in Lilly of the Valley. Also, Ash had no choice but to use unevolved Pokémon (bar Charizard) against Ritchie because his Pidgeotto was too tired.

I know. I never said that his Pokemon never evolve. I was using a form of exaggeration. This gen just happened to fail at evolutions.

Btw, where did you hear about the cuteness theory? That's interesting/stupid at the same time. I can't believe they would do it just for cuteness.

He'll lose because his pokemon aren't strong enough in comparison to the person he's fighting, even when the other person has some disadvantage (such as Cameron and his 5 pokemon) I think that's pretty ridiculous considering he's had Pikachu for the last 5 gens. Shouldn't he be Lvl. 100 and able to wipe the floor against any and everybody?

Freezerbern said:
He'll lose because his pokemon aren't strong enough in comparison to the person he's fighting, even when the other person has some disadvantage (such as Cameron and his 5 pokemon) I think that's pretty ridiculous considering he's had Pikachu for the last 5 gens. Shouldn't he be Lvl. 100 and able to wipe the floor against any and everybody?

Well we got an event either late HGSS or early Black and White that said Pikachu was Level 50. Then in the first episode of black and white ash forgets everything he knows and Pikachu can barely take on a Snivy

Bo$$_89 said:
Freezerbern said:

Well we got an event either late HGSS or early Black and White that said Pikachu was Level 50. Then in the first episode of black and white ash forgets everything he knows and Pikachu can barely take on a Snivy

Was there an official explanation as to why this was?

He is going to enter and he's going to lose against his friendly rival in top 8 because he used Pikachu against a Ground type. Doing some stupid play like playing with type disadvantage almost the whole battle but will still managing some KO's until he gets to the point in which he has to use Pikachu against a Ground type.

Starboard Driger said:
Bo$$_89 said:

I doubt it. Ash pretty much resets in every Gen, although the last reset was perhaps the worst. I guess they do it just for Ash to look like he's a new trainer every time so that kids who just began watching/playing can identify with him. Perhaps it's time they changed the lead character :).
In response to ES, I know that Ash never loses a chance to battle having a type disadvantage, but at least a Fire type can land hits on a Water type even in the anime. I mentioned Ground and Electric because Ash seems to have a battle like that in many Gens. For example, Pikachu vs Onix in the very first season (always hated that episode) or the double battle with May against a Walrein and a Quagsire in the Hoenn arc. In the first case, it rained upon Onix; in the second, he had May to back him up. But if he does such a mistake in the league, he's doomed.
And concerning that cuteness factor thing, wasn't Meloetta supposed to fill that role, at least for a while?

Elite Stride said:
Blob said:

I know. I never said that his Pokemon never evolve. I was using a form of exaggeration. This gen just happened to fail at evolutions.

Btw, where did you hear about the cuteness theory? That's interesting/stupid at the same time. I can't believe they would do it just for cuteness.

It's because the Animé wants to attract little boy and girls. The boys get to see Pokémon like Charizard and Krookodile, while the girls get to see derpy Oshawott and cool Snivy and some Pokémon do both, like tough Buizel and Scraggy.
In DP, Piplup, Pachirisu and Buneary were there for the little girls.
In AG there was Squirtle (BF only), Beautifly, Eevee (BF only) and Skitty.
Johto had Cyndaquil, Totodile and Phanpy.
Kanto never really had anything that cute, because before the Porygon ep, Ash was meant to win the league, so the animé was supposed to be a lot shorter.

The reason why Mays Pokémon evolved, is because she's not the trainer with all the cute Pokémon anymore, as Dawn was taking that place.

Starboard Driger said:
Bo$$_89 said:

I'd say it was because Ash knew nothing about Gen 5 Pokémon and a number of other things could be the reason why he lost, like; Jet lag, distracted by all the new things around him and most importantly of all Ash didn't heal his Pikachu at a Pokémon centre after the league.

Back