Durant Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Durant

Reshiram EX's first attack KOs Durants unless they have 2 Special Metals and an Eviolite attached (you'd have to flip heads to KO it). Repeat the process over and over until all of their Durants are gone, winning you the game. It takes quite a bit of Energy, but it is near impossible to KO it because of its massive HP. It's excellent overall for the mirror match up.

I don't like Reshiram-EX because of the huge retreat cost. If you start with it in non-mirror, you're in trouble. I'd rather not risk it.

Yeah, that's pretty much why it's an optional tech. Though it is then up to luck in the mirror match up, which noboy likes.

You could also run Cobalion in mirror instead. It's more useful in other matchups, and it's a little less scary to start with. It's not as reliable of an OHKOer though.

The reason I don't like playing Cobalion is because it is easier to OHKO back. Reshiram EX packs 180 HP (200 with Eviolite), making it so much harder to KO. Though it requires an extra Energy, it's more reliable for KOing Durants, instead of missing the KO by 10 HP.

I suppose that is a fairly good point. It all depends on how much you want to risk to improve your mirror matchup. I just wish there was a way to shore up the retreat cost.

The other issue with it is Lost Remover. You can stack basic energy onto a Cobalion, but Reshiram will need Rainbow/Prism. Speaking of which, you should probably modify the list to say Prism Energy instead of Rainbow Energy. Chances are we'll get it in Next Destinies.

I was thinking of teching a single Skyarrow Bridge to give the Ants and Rotom a free Retreat Cost, and then Cobalion gets a Retreat Cost of 1. Reshiram also uses it to get a 2 Retreat Cost, which can be helpful if the Durant player uses a DCE for it.

I forgot about Prism. I'll update that now.

The Yoshi, Y U No Have Drowzee in Tech List

I think he meant Hypno. If you get it out, you have a 25% chance of preventing them from attacking next turn. Each turn you prevent them from attacking is a turn you've succeeded, so it's definitely an option. You could add it to the techs section if you want. It's just too luck reliant for my tastes, and it forces you to run 2+ Switch.

The Yoshi said:
Reshiram EX's first attack KOs Durants unless they have 2 Special Metals and an Eviolite attached (you'd have to flip heads to KO it). Repeat the process over and over until all of their Durants are gone, winning you the game. It takes quite a bit of Energy, but it is near impossible to KO it because of its massive HP. It's excellent overall for the mirror match up.

I think that more super rod would give you a better mirror match than having Reshiram EX which is Lost Remover's best friend

Celebi23 said:
I think he meant Hypno.

That was my point. I feel like it's too risky because it's Catcher bait, and because they can simply Switch out of it. I'll add it to the techs section, however, because another turn gained is another turn that can turn the tables in Durant's favor.

The Yoshi said:
That was my point. I feel like it's too risky because it's Catcher bait, and because they can simply Switch out of it. I'll add it to the techs section, however, because another turn gained is another turn that can turn the tables in Durant's favor.

Hypno can also be replaced by Roserade (needs energy, but is good in sudden death and only has 1 retreat. Can also fairly easily win the mirror

Yeah, a Roserade/Durant deck made top eight at one of the Cities I went to. It's nice because it only has one retreat, but it's a little hard to use if you only have 4 Rainbow in the deck.

Perhaps add both to the techs section.

How heavy of a Roserade line would be added? Personally, I just like straight Durant, but I suppose adding techs is okay.

The Yoshi said:
How heavy of a Roserade line would be added? Personally, I just like straight Durant, but I suppose adding techs is okay.

I like strait durant the best to, but depending on whats in your area you could add a 1-1 Roserade line

Are you serious guys, too weird teches? Durant do not need attackers, just because its main idea is to deck out the opponent. If you want to get cards from your prizes, then use at least Rotom UD and Alph Litograph (that one which shows your prizes). That's the reason, why not to play Cobalion. Weavile UD and Trickery are quite good teches too if you fear opponent's hand who plays exactly fire decks. There is also new Heatmor coming, which can played in any deck, because it literally kills Durant just because it uses colorless energy.

[C] Hot Tongue: 10 damage. If the opponent’s Active Pokemon is Durant, this attack does an additional 50 damage.

We can say good-bye to Durant, after this one is released in English. =/

^Being able to pressure your opponent's attacker forces them to draw more cards from their deck; often more than the one or two turns of milling you swap for attacking. It's certainly a nice out, even if it's just a few Black Belts. It's not because we want cards from the prizes, and I've never heard of Rotom being run with Litograph. Why would you do that?

You've never heard of Lithograph with Rotom, Celebi? Alph Lithograph 4 is a great tech, and I would highly suggest adding it to the tech list. A lot of people don't want to have to waste several turns trying to get a Durant out of their prizes, Lithograph shows you which prize to Mischievous Trick to the top of your deck. I would also say that Defender and Rescue Energy should be added to the potential techs list, playing down a Defender can come in very handy, and Rescue Energy is probably your best form of recovery under trainer lock. Also, great article Yoshi, glad to see that this got finished in a timely manner! Thanks man.

^Well, sometimes it is problem when important cards are in prize cards ;) If you have 1 to 2 Durants there, so I think its will be difficult to beat ReshiPhlosion. That's interesting idea with Black Belts, but they doesn't help because after all, there is no need to attack opponent just discard 4 cards every single turn and possible eliminate opponents chance to attack, like using Lost Remover, Crushing Hammer or Catchering your opponent's Pokemon with highest retreat costs without energies attached on it. Manual attack of opponent's deck (whatever it is), however, will flow to the fate of Ant. If one single Rotom is in prizes, so it is better to be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back