(1) Ladies' Night [2/13]

my dad never took me to ohio

In all seriousness, this was a cool thing to read and I don't even play the TCG (this article makes me want to though). It's saddening hear that some still think of women as inferior to men in something like a card game. Come on people, that's ridiculous.

I've only been to one Premier event, a prerelease, but then I was the only female playing that I saw; the TO was female and some of the other helpers were as well, but I didn't see any other women or girls playing. I \don't really feel like the guys looked down on me or anything, but they did seem kind of uncomfortable, not as open with me as they were others; whether thats because I was a woman in a guy's world, a newcomer to the event, or just an adult in a Pikachu sweater is anyone's guess, and I was very shy myself, so I can't really blame them.

I really like and don't like this article.

First off, I loved how these ladies (Heather, my own fiancee is from Northern TX hates being called a lady. Connection? Tough women eh? ;-)) took the time out of their schedules to play. It takes a lot of dedication and even for people like us on the beach (Pokemaniacs) we are mostly dictated by our real lives. I also love that they kick really awesome pokebutt and although I haven't played the TCG competitively since the early 2000's (2001-2004) I can feel the love they put into the game.

However, I don't like that the article portrays males in a negative way. When I was growing up in Southern Arizona playing league I didn't care who played. I certainly don't care now when I casually play a Wi-Fi match and a young woman from Japan or even my own female friends hand me my team on a silver platter. Not to say that is the article's intent but I feel that it just throws us males all in the same bag.

If males are guilty of being prejudice to females, I certainly see females doing it as well. The fact is most females are surprised to find that I can cook or I been taking care of children since I was a child myself. While these are unrelated examples they fall into the same category, the "You shouldn't be there" category. Is my skill to run a household or cook or clean any less? Probably not. I just feel it's always a "Cats v Dogs" mentality approach to these type of subjects and the dogs always seem to get the hate. Let's be honest though....lots of females play games in general (even in game companies too!) now but still it boils down to for every female there are two maybe three males. It's "male dominated" cause a lot more males play games still than females. Most men (at least that I know and play other games with females) don't care they are women. In fact, I met my own future wife while at a gaming event for an MMORPG.

Ysmir, not once in this article did I read someone say "ALL males think I'm inferior to them". Look through the article again, and you'll find that it doesn't portay males negatively, it portrays certain males who think they are superior to females negatively. And I think everyone can agree with that.

I think the purpose of the article was to remove some of the existing prejudice that comes with sex and race. We have to admit that most people don't think like you, Ysmir. Some mock you for "losing to a girl" and let's no get started with color based racism.

It was great that Martin took the time to interview prominent female figures in the game and get their insights on the game and a piece of their mind regarding the format and what they experience.

Amt, lol miss you, five years ago your were asking me to help out on your Torterra deck and now you're one of the best players in your region. XD

Well I'm entitled to speak my mind obviously Starboard you didn't fully understand my point. I'm commenting not only on the article but the general approach to these types of articles. Riskbreakers, I see what you mean, coming from a Spanish family....where male dominance is high. But I guess I was a lucky one then.

I can't give a full-out response atm because I'm half-awake, but I'll try my best.
Girls playing pokemon deserve respect from me. Now, that said, I'm all for equal rights, so...
I'm friends with someone who has been playing for only three years. She actually gives me a run for my money in competetive battling. The sad thing is, I've been playing since Blue. And yet, does her gender stop her from facing others? Nope.
Women and other 'token minorities' deserve, and get, my respect.

If there wasn't at least one girl on there who hasn't been playing since Base/ Jungle set, I would've felt way lonely...

Ysmir said:
Well I'm entitled to speak my mind obviously Starboard you didn't fully understand my point. I'm commenting not only on the article but the general approach to these types of articles. Riskbreakers, I see what you mean, coming from a Spanish family....where male dominance is high. But I guess I was a lucky one then.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and the ability to speak it - I never said you weren't. I also didn't catch that you were talking about these types of articles in general, as that wasn't implied anywhere in your original post.

How am I not getting your point? You said, and I quote: "I don't like that the article portrays males in a negative way". I stated that this article wasn't anti-male ("throwing us males all in the same bag"), it was anti-discrimination, which is, from what I gather, true.

And I do agree with the latter part of your post, the part about things that are traditionally considered or percieved as male/female. You essentially said everything I would've said here.

Also, I'd just like to add that I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand where you're coming from. I could be completely missing something here.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also agree that females do it. When they mock you for "losing to a girl", as Riskbreakers said, it's almost insulting to themselves because they imply that their gender makes it more difficult to win (for lack of a better description). Really, it's dumb for more reasons than one.

Those mentalities should be removed from children especially grade schoolers because that's where gender based dominance is at its peak.

Ysmir, I am actually Asian (Filipino-Chinese) both are also races that adhere to the same gender dominance BS. (The Philippines was a Spanish colony for 333 years)

Hahahahaha, why am I surprised that Kristy of all people ended up on this article? I shouldn't be; she's an absolutely fantastic player in my area.

I think it's because of players like Kristy that I see a rather substantial number of female players at my tournament. It's nowhere near 50-50 (if I had to guess, it'd be something like 85M-15F), but at least it's not 100-0, which I sometimes see at events. The ratio tends to be bigger at larger events, so I've seen.

I lost to PokeBeach forum's very own Kian Amini, but the experience is one for the ages.
Wait, Kian? The guy who got top 8 at SoCal Regs? That Kian? He's on Pokebeach?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjG7-5kbevo[/video]

I don't see why some guys would think that girls are bad at card games; whenever I'd go to Yu-gi-oh events, I'd get beaten by a girl almost every time. I suppose it really has to do with Pokemon (the card game more specifically) being thought of as a male-only thing, but still, you would think that having a more diverse player base would be a good thing for everybody. It's sad to see that there are people who think the opposite.

"What motivated me to choose this particular subject was the stigma that surrounds women in the Pokemon community. Are girls capable of keeping up with their male counterparts? Do they belong at events? Do they have what it takes to capture a championship?"

The fact that people actually thought stuff like this/still do (and oh trust me, I've seen it) makes me laugh. In actuality, the nuber of REAL Pokemon fans that are female, seems to outweigh the male fanbase. But hey what can ya do, forever alone nerd guys who have a fear of women going near their game just shows how insecure they are. I mean, god help us if she ruins your manly image by pitting a Mewtwo EX against your lovely little Pikachu.

Riskbreakers said:
Hobbies need more girls tbh.

They do. The only girl who really ever attends my league is a friend of mine but she's busy workin about 98% of the time and whenever she ends up going I'm not there.

I appreciate all of the feedback! I really wanted to pick a subject that was original, positive, and completely out of left field here. I really think these four players have worked very hard in the gaming arena and deserved some recognition for their contributions to the game. I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to read. All of you are very special to me! :) :) :)

This makes me want to try twice as hard to get even better. I have seniority over three of them in terms of how long I've been playing, and I'm still fairly average, not a tournament winner, but not a complete loser either. I just want my Jumpluff deck back, I actually did good with it... Oh well, I still have the video games to be good at, at least...

So far I agree, it would be nice to see more of my gender in league and tournaments. It's almost awkward sometimes... It's probably a reason why not a lot of other girls participate. It feels awkward being a lone female, or one of like, two...

I've definitely gotten rid of any kind of stigma I had or used to have with girls playing the game and being at tournaments ever since a woman in my area has been pretty much tearing up events the past year and a half or so.

There comes a point where everyone should just admit that women can be just as good at this game and maybe even sometimes better than men and once you admit that, any bias or discrimination will just simply be gotten rid of and we can all enjoy what the game offers together. In that way, I'm glad what the article aimed to accomplish.

Glad to see Kristy got highlighted as well. We certainly had a nail-biter of a game at one Cities this past season haha.

dmaster out.

I think that some players may underestimate girls when playing against for one reason:
90% of the female are pokémoms or a player's girlfriend. They usually don't care about the game and are not competitive.

Now why there are more boys playing the game?

I think it is a difference of mentality. Boys don't mind playing video game, cards, even they are now grown up adults : 0). Girls have other priorities usually I guess and prefer shopping, clubing and fighting with pillows.

Back