(1) Ladies' Night [2/13]

ashtavakra said:
needs more attractive women...

Umm... I get your point, and I'm going to *slightly* disagree with you there.
Attractive women, yes, but women who know how to strategize effectively. That way, there's less of a chance to drag every other woman down with them by being completely idiotic (aka playing TCG like me) on how they make their decisions. I'd rather win/lose to a token minority because of fair sportsmanship than win against a token minority because of an unfair match-up.
That said, having a percentage of attractive women would probably get a lot more people to play, espescially me.
Not meaning to insult anybody, just stating my opinion. Please don't stone me over it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sounds like to me most of these "needs more attractive women" don't have girlfriends themselves or simply value a player by how hot they are. That's pretty damn vain. My friend Heather from Tennessee runs into this problem a lot (For other games not Pokemon) cause she isn't some Katy Perry or Kate Upton. I rather lose to a girl who by general physical standards is "average" cause she beat my behind based on skill alone rather than gawk at chicks at a prerelease....if you wanna eye candy a girl do so on your own time.

When I met my beloved I didn't know what I was getting into and I fell in love with her cause of who she was not what she looked like. (We met at a online gaming event). In the end, it paid off, cause I'm a man still and I am stimulated by physical assets like any other and it just so happened my beloved is pretty and well endowed. But I don't love her for that I love her cause of the person she is and how she makes me feel.

I think a lot of you younger boys and men need to really sit here and evaluate a woman's worth cause you may just not like it when you are passed by just based solely on looks.

Ysmir said:
Sounds like to me most of these "needs more attractive women" don't have girlfriends themselves or simply value a player by how hot they are. That's pretty damn vain.

Not really? I mean, if someone implied that a woman's worth (as a player or as a person) was only proportional to her beauty then yeah, I would agree. But saying that a certain hobby/event "needs more attractive women" because they attract audiences/participants is just Marketing 101. Likewise, having more attractive men would cater to female audiences and possibly future participants. Obviously good players are the priority in terms of competition...but I'm fairly certain that everyone knows that.

Yeah you don't see too many female players in the Pokemon world. I guess not as many females like Pokemon like most males do. I do have a friend in the LDS church who does like the Pokemon cards and she want me to bring all my cards to church so she can see them. The only problem is I have nearly 4,000 cards now. But yeah we need to influence more females to play the TCG because those who do like to play the TCG or Pokemon in general do end up with each other after awhile if you know what I mean. Anyway yeah we need to get the wrd out and show our fellow females what it is and how to play. Once you are hook there is no end to Pokemon. It is now tied for 1st with Mario XD.:)

dee said:
Ysmir said:
Sounds like to me most of these "needs more attractive women" don't have girlfriends themselves or simply value a player by how hot they are. That's pretty damn vain.

Not really? I mean, if someone implied that a woman's worth (as a player or as a person) was only proportional to her beauty then yeah, I would agree. But saying that a certain hobby/event "needs more attractive women" because they attract audiences/participants is just Marketing 101. Likewise, having more attractive men would cater to female audiences and possibly future participants. Obviously good players are the priority in terms of competition...but I'm fairly certain that everyone knows that.

Catering to an audience who is going to measure them by how much they get off by how they look. It's marketing sure, but it's still using said gender's physical attributes. Now you're not only condoning vain behavior you're exploiting it to get more "players" to join.

Ysmir said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sounds like to me most of these "needs more attractive women" don't have girlfriends themselves or simply value a player by how hot they are. That's pretty damn vain. My friend Heather from Tennessee runs into this problem a lot (For other games not Pokemon) cause she isn't some Katy Perry or Kate Upton. I rather lose to a girl who by general physical standards is "average" cause she beat my behind based on skill alone rather than gawk at chicks at a prerelease....if you wanna eye candy a girl do so on your own time.

When I met my beloved I didn't know what I was getting into and I fell in love with her cause of who she was not what she looked like. (We met at a online gaming event). In the end, it paid off, cause I'm a man still and I am stimulated by physical assets like any other and it just so happened my beloved is pretty and well endowed. But I don't love her for that I love her cause of the person she is and how she makes me feel.

I think a lot of you younger boys and men need to really sit here and evaluate a woman's worth cause you may just not like it when you are passed by just based solely on looks.

Uhh, I have an attactive girlfriend, so, um... Uhh... Jeez this awkward... Cookie?
It's the male cheerleader logic. Sure, you can make fun of him all you want. But he will always have the final laugh.

I've already said my piece. You can call it marketing or male cheerleader...it condones values based on looks. I'm not trying to argue and I ain't saying I have never done this myself nor been a victim of it. But somewhere someone is isolated cause they feel pressured (whether it be cause of looks, gender, race, sexual orientation) to meet certain standards. I know what you mean Haunted Water, I was popular, but I was still a nerd and little to no one saw beyond that. After school and into the adult world I filled out quite nicely and now I'm the one laughing.....sometimes I guess you gotta take the low road.

Ysmir said:
Catering to an audience who is going to measure them by how much they get off by how they look. It's marketing sure, but it's still using said gender's physical attributes. Now you're not only condoning vain behavior you're exploiting it to get more "players" to join.
...and I don't see a problem with that since it's the norm for sporting events, so I guess we just have different values haha.

Different values. Oh well, much respect though (to believing in yours as I do mine). Honest. We can agree to disagree, yes? I agree.....with the sporting events and unrelated to Pokemon how about that Superbowl? If you watch it of course. Woot Ravens!

Ysmir said:
Different values. Oh well, much respect though (to believing in yours as I do mine). Honest. We can agree to disagree, yes? I agree.....with the sporting events and unrelated to Pokemon how about that Superbowl? If you watch it of course. Woot Ravens!

Yes, of course!
Haha I did enjoy watching the Superbowl! I tend to pick which team I'm rooting for ten minutes into the game, though--and I was lucky this year. I'm more of a NHL person as far as sports-related enthusiasm goes. :)

Dragon Master Ryuuji said:
falcom4ever said:
I think that some players may underestimate girls when playing against for one reason:
90% of the female are pokémoms or a player's girlfriend. They usually don't care about the game and are not competitive.

Well that's stereotypically offensive.

I can't say in the US, but where I live we got in master only 7 women in the whole country !
Let's see 2 Pokémom that play their secondary son's deck, 2 player's girl friend that don't give a s****, 1 girl friend's player that likes to play sometimes with serious decks, 1 girl that plays because his father players and she would get bored otherwise and one only serious female player that usually prefers to be judge... Let's face the trueth, most of girls don't care about Pokémons and by experience I can say that they think that it is a childish game.

And to find someone that accepts her boyfriend spending time at tournaments on week-end is not that easy too. It is more accepted to spend week-ends watching sport on live or on tv. sadly.

Most of girls just hate Pokémon, Video Games, nerd things when they are adult and they think that is a person boys thing.

desweeg said:
falcom4ever said:
I think that some players may underestimate girls when playing against for one reason:
90% of the female are pokémoms or a player's girlfriend. They usually don't care about the game and are not competitive.

Now why there are more boys playing the game?

I think it is a difference of mentality. Boys don't mind playing video game, cards, even they are now grown up adults : 0). Girls have other priorities usually I guess and prefer shopping, clubing and fighting with pillows.

I made an account primarily to respond to this post.

This post is the sum of all of the problems women are facing in "geek" culture: making assumptions without getting to know the person. 90% are "stragglers", really? Most people, when they are not interested in something, wouldn't show up. I don't know if TCG events are like this, but the registration process for VGC is long and grueling. For the past few events I attended, we would arrive around 8am and usually not play before 1pm. The competition is one day, and we usually play 5-7 rounds in 4 hours. It requires dedication to go to these events, something that most stragglers do not have. Don't get me wrong, I've experienced the whole "pokemom/girlfriend" stereotype, but they are not the majority and those types tend not to actually compete at all.

I don't like shopping, clubbing, or fighting with pillows. I don't wear makeup or dress feminine. I'm a gamer, and I take pretty much anything I play seriously. I may not play every single game I touch super competitively, but I always look at what the pros are doing. I don't deny that more men play card and video games more than women, and there are many complex reasons for that, but there is no reason to treat the ones that do differently. I have seen many casual male players as well as female players, so accounting for proportions as well as there being quite a few good female players out there, the proportions of good players to bad is about the same among the genders. I consider myself above average, and there are better out there.

I implore everyone; please stop making assumptions about a person based on their gender, much like it is wrong to make assumptions about someone based on any other factor they cannot control, such as race. We are there to play too. I love Pokemon, I have been playing since the days of Red/Blue, and competitively since D/P. I am there to play Pokemon, not show off.

You are part of the 10% which I think is it right and how it should be. Does not mean that the 90% are not like I said.

But competitive games, competitive pokémon or any tcg game is somethings that has a bad image in the society. I believe that girls maybe care more about their image than boys, because they have more pressure on the society to be nice, kind, gentle, etc... in order to achieve success. If I start to wear a beard, people will not care (maybe I will look weird). If a girl starts not taking care of her way to dress, makeup the society will think that she is a bad person which has a huge mental problem (which I totally don't support of course).

Pokémon tournaments has a bad image in our society. First time I told my parents, or my girl friends, or at work that I am a "professionnal" Pokémon player I always got the same reaction : "Oh... I did not know that you are a nerd, otaku or something like that (?). You don't look like this kind of person." That was like if I was reveling that I was a marginal.

Now I believe that most of boys don't care about their image. They can play Pokémon, go to a Metal concert, cheat on their girl friends and tell to the colleagues, driving with alcohol in the blood, smoke drugs, they don't give a s***** what others will think because in our society we accept that boys might be like that.

I can't say the same for girls, as I said they are on pressure in our society and it is like they have to fit in that "mold" in order to achieve "success".

Don't blame Pokémon players for that, blame de society in general...

falcom4ever said:
Dragon Master Ryuuji said:
Well that's stereotypically offensive.

I can't say in the US, but where I live we got in master only 7 women in the whole country !
Let's see 2 Pokémom that play their secondary son's deck, 2 player's girl friend that don't give a s****, 1 girl friend's player that likes to play sometimes with serious decks, 1 girl that plays because his father players and she would get bored otherwise and one only serious female player that usually prefers to be judge... Let's face the trueth, most of girls don't care about Pokémons and by experience I can say that they think that it is a childish game.

And to find someone that accepts her boyfriend spending time at tournaments on week-end is not that easy too. It is more accepted to spend week-ends watching sport on live or on tv. sadly.

Most of girls just hate Pokémon, Video Games, nerd things when they are adult and they think that is a person boys thing.

Are you talking about your area or everywhere when you say "most women hate Pokemon", "most women hate video games" and "most women hate nerd things"?

First post here, hi everyone.

I am a mom who plays the TCG along with my husband and daughter. This is a fabulous family activity, great community and we love it.

Want to know how to attract more females to the game? Clean up the places where the local leagues are played. The events locations for nationals and regionals have been great. I mean some of the mom and pop locations where you walk in and get icked out; gross bathrooms, grimy tables and overflowing trash cans.

Dudes, please take a bath and wear deodorant before you come to an event. I know most of you do but no one want to sit beside or play against the person who reeks.

falcom, the more you say, the more you sound like a chauvinist. I don't know if you're doing this intentionally or not, but one area doesn't account for most of the rest of the world.
Yes, in your area most of the females play mostly because of a relative, but to generalize that and apply it to the rest of the world is just not appropriate, since you can't speak for everywhere.

Sds407 said:
First post here, hi everyone.

I am a mom who plays the TCG along with my husband and daughter. This is a fabulous family activity, great community and we love it.

Want to know how to attract more females to the game? Clean up the places where the local leagues are played. The events locations for nationals and regionals have been great. I mean some of the mom and pop locations where you walk in and get icked out; gross bathrooms, grimy tables and overflowing trash cans.

Dudes, please take a bath and wear deodorant before you come to an event. I know most of you do but no one want to sit beside or play against the person who reeks.

Many times have I encountered someone at an event who smells offensive due to lack of proper hygiene...not to mention the stories I've heard!
You are now my favorite person for the day for bringing this up.

This is most entertaining to know someone made an account to post this. Its not a bad reason at all.
I personally believe that girls/women generally look down upon card games in general. It seems to be what is expected of them. Thus this becomes a social issue not just for card games at the least Pokemon. I've played all the competitive card games albeit I've never been able to travel. The same stereotyping for card games is all across card gaming.

We're not done yet! It's time for the after party. I wanna know more about everyone who is participating on this forum. Who knows, maybe it will be your turn to be featured in an article! So I'm going to answer 10 of the questions presented in the article and I encourage you guys to do the same! :)

1) How did you get interested in the PTCG?
When I was in Junior High School, I was in a trade with a girl in my gym class. She told me about a league at the Toys R Us league in Arlington, Texas. After I showed up, it took me only two weeks to become the best player there. What got me hooked is that I found something I was beating people much older than me at. I felt like a prodigy or something.

2) How long have you been playing?
Entirely too long. I have been in it since Jungle ;)

3) Do you ever feel underestimated when playing at an event?
All the time. I go into every tournament like the underdog. I always feel I have something to prove.

4) Event-wise, how has this season been going for you?
GREAT. Had an amazing Regional run, solid BR standings, and won Cities.

5) Your most memorable tournament moment
There's just way too many! I have had a lot of tournament moments that have just forever been branded into my memory. If one were to stand out the most, it would have to be the Regional run I had in Autumn going all the way to the finals. It had been 3 Regionals since I've made it into top 4. I was so used to getting into final four every time, but finally, I was able to add Regionals trophy #5 to the resume which was awesome to me.

6) What would you say is the primary reason you stay involved in the tournament scene?
Simply the thrill of winning. Testing is cool too. I'm not much into the socializing aspect of the game. I'm a bit of a loner ;)

7) What is your favorite card in the modified format and why?
Roserade! Roserade is my lady for life.

8) Talk about what you would change in the format?
Maybe the first turn implications. It is a significant edge to go first. We have had formats in the past where this wasn't a big deciding factor in the game, so we need to bring that back.

9) How would you improve organized play?
Personally, I would just run organized play online and have worlds the only tournament you actually show up to. I guess I can just dream...

10) Which event of the season do you look forward to the most?
Battle Roads. I really enjoy not having to spend an entire day at an event. I really enjoyed Battle Roads earlier this season, it was the best time I had playing this game ever. I don't mind not having a top cut at all.

I don't know that women look down on card games any more than men do. TCGs/CCGs just are not a mainstream thing amongst adults.

I find it more likely that women are deterred not by how society will look down on them, but how other people in the same hobby will. All varieties of gaming culture--video, tabletop, card--can be very hostile to women in insidious ways. Someone doesn't need to straight up be making crude jokes or using slurs to make a minority in the same room uncomfortable.

It's disingenuous to claim women don't like Pokemon, as well. Pokemon is a very gender neutral fandom and attracts people of all ages and sexes; I suspect the number of females heavily outweigh the males if you're comparing only artist or fiction-writing fans. It all depends on where you look.

I logged back in after a very very long absence and after very long time of quitting;

And to be frank - It was partially because of sexism.

I had no problems in my old city when I played. My ex got me into the game and I started catching up quickly.
I got along well with everybody and there were a few other women who played as well - And not that garbage "pokemom" and "girlfriend" crap a certain somebody has been spewing.

Eventually I was forced to move and that's where the problems began.
I'm very poor - I literally cannot afford to keep up with cutting edge decks; I fell behind cards wise and had to go "casual". I started getting thrashed and that's WHEN that "girls doing it for attention" BS started coming in.

I had one guy start literally stalking me as well;
Following me around - Trying to get my number non-stop - buying me things in an online game without me really knowing him.
It was /creepy/.

I eventually stopped going.
I couldn't handle that stigma nor did I want to put up with the creep anymore.

I quit soon after; Stopped buying cards and I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of all of them.

I never looked down on card games; I played Yu-Gi-Oh competitively for a short while and also quit because of similar actions towards me while I was extremely young. I had my cards stolen from me because "you're a girl you don't need them." - Said straight to my face and I still remember.
I've played video games my entire life but it's gotten to the point I just don't talk in online games unless I know somebody already and I've given up on going to LAN centers.

Until people's attitudes change there will be a problem /somewhere/ and it will cause problems for somebody else. It's true for any situation - Including this one.

I'm a rare exception; There are plenty of places where there are no issues but I've had enough of it and will enjoy my hobbies alone.

Sure, Marty. I'll take you on.

1) How did you get interested in the PTCG?
I, like many others like me, became interested in the TCG when the fad hit at the start of 1999. It was never uncool to like Pokemon and leagues were all the rage. I went to a league at a ZanyBrainy toy store near me (if you remember what ZanyBrainy is, you are as old, if not older, as I), but I only went there once or twice as I had no idea what I should be doing there (I was 7 at the time). However, I did get a Beatdown starter deck (the one with Hitmonchan) and kept to myself with that. Then I lost all the cards and I didn't find the deck for another 10 years. But fortunately, some random guy I met on the street when I was 8 just gave me a huge stack of Pokemon cards and said I could have them (no, seriously). That kept me going. I'd say more, but this question is just how I started out; the rest can come later.

2) How long have you been playing?
Started in 1999, played with friends and brother until the end of the Neo sets, then took a hiatus that lasted for all of e-series and Hoenn. (That's as far as TCG goes, anyway. For the video game, I have constantly played it since 1999 without breaks.) I didn't even know Leagues still existed until my mum did some poking around, and about the release time of DP Mysterious Treasures, I got back into it, and have stuck with it ever since. So...how many years is that? 8? Something like that.

3) Do you ever feel underestimated when playing at an event?
Nope! I suck at this game as much as I look like. However, I always love to bring a few surprises along with me when I build my decks. I'd tell you, but that ruins the secrecy of the build. I don't play at events very often, though. I am a judge first and a player second.

4) Event-wise, how has this season been going for you?
I love judging, and no mistake. It's one of the most fulfilling things I've ever done, and that I continue to do. Playing in a tourney is usually only something I do if I can't get a judge opening for it, and then I just place mediocre. I'd love to strike it big and top-cut one day, but in my heart I know that's never going to happen. But the judging sphere is fantastic.

5) Your most memorable tournament moment?
Ah, this. This is something I'll never forget. It was at States one year, I believe it was 2010. (It was the same States I met DukeFireBird. Awesome guy, by the way.) In the first round, I was facing off against one of my best friends (Ruben), so I knew I'd enjoy the first round. He was playing his usual Grass, with Shaymin LV.X and Wormadam Sandy Cloak as the 2 key cards, plus a bunch of other things (like both Sceptile) as well. I myself was using a combination of Dusknoir LV.X and Gardevoir LV.X. We were both fairly new at this, but we were comfortable with the decks we picked. I get set up pretty fast (for me), getting Dusknoir LV.X out by turn 4, and swinging around. Unfortunately, after that, I don't get much else, while he gets everything. He succeeds in KOing Dusknoir, allowing me to Ectoplasm. I draw dead, I can't get energy to build up anyone else fast enough, while his active Shaymin LV.X just goes after everything I put up. However, he runs no Stadiums, so Ectoplasm is basically filling up his field. By the time I FINALLY get an attacker up (a Kirlia), it's my 4 prizes to his 2 (or maybe even 1), his whole field has 12+ damage counters on it, each, save for the active Shaymin LV.X which had 5. It wasn't much, but I used Telekinesis to hit his Shaymin for 40, putting it at 10 HP left. In between turns, Ectoplasm activates, knocking out the Shaymin, and by extent his whole field - letting me take my 4 last prizes. I got applause from the players surrounding me. It was a moment I shall never forget. (I try not to bring it up too much around my friend since he was on the receiving end, but even he admitted it was an amazing play.)

6) What would you say is the primary reason you stay involved in the tournament scene?
The PEOPLE!!! With BW cards making the power creep to big basics becoming a lot more obvious, thus disenchanting me with the current format. The main reason I have stuck around is because of all the wonderful people I have met and continue to meet at tournaments. They are all such amazing folks and great to get along with, and I wouldn't trade that for all the 1st-place finishes in the world. They are what make this game truly fun for me!

7) What is your favorite card in the modified format and why?
I'd have to say Terrakion NVI. It has come in handy for me so many times in both the HS-on format and this one. I especially loved using him as Durant NVI's partner in crime to clean up Darkrai EX and what have you...plus, he keeps up on the prize trade phenomenally! He just smashes everything in his path once set up and can do a lot of harm before he falls. A close second is Zekrom BLW for a similar reason.

8) Talk about what you would change in the format?
I'd shift this format away from the creep of big basics taking over everything. Legendaries are nice Pokemon, yes, but they shouldn't be stronger than stage 2 Pokemon. That was the way it always had been before BLW was released - you get out what you put in. Now the prominent cards are all basic Pokemon with very high amounts of HP, which are just as good, if not even better, than stage 1 and 2 Pokemon that exist. I know that basics taking over a format is by no means a new thing (SPs, anyone?), but in the days of SP, they sacrificed power for speed - they did not hit as hard, nor did they have as much HP, as other evolved Pokemon of the time - they used their speed to their advantage, and it worked. That was their gimmick. Now? Now it's just Mewtwo EX, aka the Pokemon version of the Cold War...and other things so much worse.

9) How would you improve organized play?
Didn't I just answer this in question 8? Or are you referring to how tournaments are run and such? The only thing I can think of is find a way to reasonably lower the cost of packs and prereleases again, maybe even to the level of $20, but I know with inflation that may not be possible. Oh, and before I forget: they desperately need to update the Professor Exam. Seriously, it's been the same questions from DP-on format for years.

10) Which event of the season do you look forward to the most?
The parts where I judge, of course. I don't have to worry about winning or losing, I get to interact with all of the players instead of just would-be opponents, and I get free packs out of it! Seriously, what's not to love?

I've been deterred from events cause of lack of clean-up too.

Yes! I have gagged before at an event (For Yu-Gi-Oh not Pokemon) cause this one teen younger than I stunk like he hadn't washed his armpits (or any of his body) in weeks. His stench permeated the store and I couldn't take it. A little wax on, wax off really makes a place shine....and I totally agree some folks need to clean up before they come to an event. It's not asking to be in a suit but casual and most importantly not smelling like a foot. It reflects badly on yourself and people like us, "nerds", if you want to throw us in a stereotype.

Back